WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Lawler defeats Andre the Giant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawler defeats Andre the Giant
ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA
Member # 5496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my Kentucky Fried Rasslin' column last week:

Tall Tale: The Bill Apter mags in 1986 went along with the WWE's storyline that Hulk Hogan was attempting to become the first man to ever defeat Andre, despite the fact that the Giant had been defeated by the likes of Ron Garvin and El Canek over the years. In 1977, Apter even fabricated a story that Lawler had beaten Andre after the Memphis Monarch sent photos of a recent bout between the two held at Louisville Gardens. In his bio, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING...SOMETIMES, Lawler explained how Vince McMahon Sr. angrily called him out (at the urging of Terry Funk, who was playing a rib on Lawler) in front of all the attendees at the NWA Convention in 1978, claiming that the story damaged Andre's reputation as wrestling's only undefeated superstar.

Jerry the Giant Slayer: The Aug. 1977 issue of THE WRESTLER reports that Lawler defeated Andre. Scan courtesy of Mark James.

The article itself is hilarious, with ridiculous quotes supposedly from Lawler that sound nothing like the wrestler I grew up watching: "In many ways, I was doing more than just wrestling Andre the Giant. I was fighting for every short person in the world who has ever been insulted by someone tall. I know how it feels to be discriminated against simply because of your height--it's not a very pleasant thing. I've always thought short people were nicer, better people than those tall fellows. Short people in this world can rejoice in this victory." Yeah, I'm sure Bill Dundee was especially moved.

Apter goes on to write that "Andre was surprised by Lawler's strength. He lunged at Andre, grabbed him by the waist, and lifted him in the air. With all his might, he threw Andre out of the ring." You can't make this stuff up--unless you're Bill Apter.

Short temper: Andre warns Lawler not to send pics of their bout to Bill Apter. Sucker.

To pacify McMahon Sr., Apter ran a follow-up article the very next month in the September 1977 issue of INSIDE WRESTLING, in which Andre "crushed" Lawler in a rematch in under 15 minutes. A few months later, another article appeared in WRESTLING SUPERSTARS: "Why Andre the Giant is Wrestling's Only Undefeated Superstar."

The incident temporarily caused a rift in Lawler and Apter's friendship, but the two made amends. In fact, it was Apter who hooked Lawler up with comedian Andy Kaufman, whose overtures to wrestle in Madison Square Garden were turned down by, you guessed it, Vince McMahon Sr.

--------------------
www.kentuckyfriedrasslin.com
Where Memphis Rasslin' lives.
"It's finger-breakin' good."--Jerry Lawler

IP: Logged
Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey
Member # 5974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dundee was talking about this. I guess Andre was in the locker room and said, "What da ya wanna do boss?" Lawler, joking said, "well, I'd like to beat ya." Andre said, "Ok." He said it took about 30 guys to get Andre down (kind of the Goldberg first loss with 20 cops and a taser) but in the end Lawler got on top and pinned him. He said Andre was a funny guy and just did it to be funny. I guess the whole NWA and Vince McMahon were pissed and they had their meeting in Vegas that year just to talk about the midget beating Andre.

Andre's joke did not go over well with the powers that be.

--------------------
"Live long and prosper."

"HAVE AT THEE BASE VILLIAN!"

MaskedGoofIV
Member # 5862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaskedGoofIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Lawler won via count out?
ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA
Member # 5496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottBowdenKFR from TN/CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mopey,

While I don't doubt Dundee said that, I have to question its validity. For years, Lawler has claimed he won the bout via countout, with the Apter mag story helping to fuel the myth. In Lawler's book, he seems to imply that he didn't defeat Andre at all--that he simply sent some pics of him wrestling Andre to Bill Apter, who loved the photos because of the amazing size difference between the two. Apter claims Lawler gave him the idea for running the David vs. Goliath type story.

I think Memphis TV even aired clips of the bout from Louisville announcing that Lawler had beaten Andre...but they didn't show the finish.

I'm not even sure Lawler won over Andre via countout in reality. (And I use the term "reality" loosely...this is the rasslin' business after all.)

Harley Race mentions in his shoot interview that prior to an NWA title defense, he challenged Lawler to a shoot in the ring in front of the Memphis fans after learning that Jarrett had put together videos to make it appear than Lawler had beaten Andre and the entire NWA. In reality those most of those bouts ended inconclusively...usually in a DQ or double countout.

--------------------
www.kentuckyfriedrasslin.com
Where Memphis Rasslin' lives.
"It's finger-breakin' good."--Jerry Lawler

mj99
Member # 6399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mj99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a countout win for Lawler, but apter totally put Lawler over in the article.

mj99

--------------------
Over 1000 cards, 6000 matches & results from Memphis

Memphis Wrestling History website - completely redesigned

Click here to see my 3rd and latest Memphis Wrestling History Book!

Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey
Member # 5974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottBowdenKFR:
Hey, Mopey,

While I don't doubt Dundee said that, I have to question its validity. For years, Lawler has claimed he won the bout via countout, with the Apter mag story helping to fuel the myth. In Lawler's book, he seems to imply that he didn't defeat Andre at all--that he simply sent some pics of him wrestling Andre to Bill Apter, who loved the photos because of the amazing size difference between the two. Apter claims Lawler gave him the idea for running the David vs. Goliath type story.

I think Memphis TV even aired clips of the bout from Louisville announcing that Lawler had beaten Andre...but they didn't show the finish.

I'm not even sure Lawler won over Andre via countout in reality. (And I use the term "reality" loosely...this is the rasslin' business after all.)

Harley Race mentions in his shoot interview that prior to an NWA title defense, he challenged Lawler to a shoot in the ring in front of the Memphis fans after learning that Jarrett had put together videos to make it appear than Lawler had beaten Andre and the entire NWA. In reality those most of those bouts ended inconclusively...usually in a DQ or double countout.

Yeah, he said it, just watched it today. But maybe Bill wasn't remembering it exactly as it happened.

--------------------
"Live long and prosper."

"HAVE AT THEE BASE VILLIAN!"

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We now have tape & Canek didn't pin Andre...it was a DQ. A lot of these rumered losses by Andre didn't happen. I think they were very careful with his losses.--Yohe

[ 04-28-2007, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Dave Meltzer
Member # 2122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Meltzer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it a DQ in both falls Andre lost?
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all I know. And the famous bodyslam came after the match ended with Andre DQed for the standard lucha low blow.--Yohe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXrJqBVC5N8

[ 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there something about Ronnie Garvin beating Andre as well?

Do we have any confirmation that after he became "Andre the Giant" as opposed to Jean Ferre, that he ever had a pinfall loss in a singles match?

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

Dave Meltzer
Member # 2122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Meltzer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a 3 fall match the one Andre supposedly was pinned in, and the fall Andre lost before the finish was supposedly a DQ for a low blow. Only one finish was shown, not even the fall Andre pinned Canek in.
Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This WAS an Apter mag, guys.

[Big Grin]

BTW, in the pic with Andre pointing at Jerry....Andre's arm looks bigger than Lawlers torso.

--------------------
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide

And my soul has been... psychedelicized

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

In a 2/3 fall match, even if it's one of the earlys falls & not the last fall, that the DQ takes place..... its still considered a DQ loss. So Andre was covering himself.

It looked like a 3rd fall. Can't see Canek bodyslaming him before the finsh. And I don't think Andre would let him do it more than once.

But then again it's not like I know anything.--Yohe

jdw
Member # 622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He actually slams him twice. Once before the low blow, but it doesn't come off well. The second time it what looks like the post match (or another fall) that looks much better.

John

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations