WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » 1980's WWF Arena Television Announcers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1980's WWF Arena Television Announcers
feffermark
Member # 3634

Icon 8 posted      Profile for feffermark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After spending too much time recently watching WWE 24/7 recently, I have been trying to figure out the voices/names of all the 1980's announcers who were used for the local broadcasts of the monthly arena shows MSG, Spectrum, Boston Gardens, Maple Leaf, etc. I know Monsoon, Hayes, McMahon, Okerlund, Patterson, Resnick, Mooney, Tronguard, and Bockwinkle did MSG and I believe Billy Red Lyons did Maple Leaf. Can anyone identify some of the other voices. Thanks,
IP: Logged
Big J
Member # 1960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Occasionally, Bruce Prichard, Mike McGuirk
The Original BadstreetUSA
Member # 5830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Original BadstreetUSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Dick Graham and Kal Rudman in Philly. Rudman was so bad, he was relegated to backstage interviews after the expansion started. Then it was Monsoon and Graham doing the call of the action.
Member # 5830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Original BadstreetUSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I can tell you that Boston was USUALLY Monsoon and Lord Alfred Hayes.
Frank Koenen from MN
Member # 2679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Koenen from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Heenan did a Boston show, and I think an MSG show.

--------------------
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it- Groucho

The Masked Marauder
Member # 2480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Marauder         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did the local arena broadcast end? Im thinking 89-90? Is this right?
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gorilla Monsoon did MSG, Boston, and usually Toronto and had a revolving cast of color guys. Started with Okerlund, then Ventura, Hayes, and eventually Heenan. Most times it was a different partner each month. Billy Red Lyons did occasionally fill in at Toronto, too, although I don't believe those shows were ever actually televised anywhere in their entirety.

Philly was Dick Graham on play by play, with Monsoon and Alfred Hayes alternating on color.

Toward the later 80's, you added Rod Tronguard, Billy Graham, Sean Mooney, etc. to the mix in all places.

Last MSG broadcast was 3/23/92. Boston ended with 6/3/89, Philly was either Feb. or Mar. of '89. Main reason given was sagging attendance, even though Boston did pop a handful of sellouts in the final months. They figured most people were staying home and watching it on TV instead of paying their money to see it in person, so they pulled the plug on the TV part.

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think Schiavone did some when he was there from '89-90 and Hillbilly Jim also did some color work.
JHawk
Member # 4653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roger Kent did at least one MSG show as well.

--------------------
"Wrestling fans watching a wrestling program want to see wrestlers wrestle!" -Jim Cornette

Don't miss Smart Mark Radio, Sunday nights at 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific at www.blogtalkradio.com/smartmarkradio

Age Of Q DMS NYC
Member # 6038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Age Of Q DMS NYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:

Last MSG broadcast was 3/23/92. .

There was definitely one after this in like 96-97 I believe.
It was a one shot that was on the same night of a WCW pay per view.
Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Edit: Found the Info on the History of WWE site.

WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - March 16, 1997 (8,513)
The return of the WWF to the MSG Network after 5 years; featured Jim Ross & Jim Cornette on commentary; the final card televised on the MSG Network

[ 04-20-2007, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: ageofquarrel ]

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene Okerlund did occasional match commentary for the house shows around 1984 and 1985, but rarely, if ever, afterwards. Gene was just awful. Honestly he was a total embarrassment. Gene truly had nothing of note to offer at all. He'd make a comment like "Big John Studd, the big 350 pounder" and then repeat it many times during the bout, with the words changed around slightly if at all. He'd say something like "this capacity crowd is going wild" or "what a move, what a move!", but with no real context or insight. Gene also had no chemistry with his broadcast partners, whomever they were, at all. It's no wonder the WWF stopped using him on match commentary and it's amazing Gene was allowed to do it as long as he did. Gorilla, Vince, and Alfred weren't everyone's cup of tea, but they were Emmy winners compared to Gene.
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember that MSG show in '97. It was a one-shot deal, and they showed everything but the main event, for whatever reason. Unfortunately, they used the "current" TV format, taking commercial breaks during the matches, etc. It wasn't the same as the "old days", but it was great to see.

Roger Kent did make the rounds for a month or two in '88, and yes, Tony Schiavone did several shows in '89. That was around the time they started to phase out Gorilla from full-time announcing.

They did also televise about 6-7 shows from the Los Angeles Sports Arena in the second half of 1988, and I believe a few shows from the Sam Houston Coliseum in 1987. Not sure if those were ever televised locally or if they just filmed them for Prime Time and home video footage.

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do remember that MSG show in '97. It was a one-shot deal, and they showed everything but the main event, for whatever reason.

The MSG card's main event was Sid defending the WWF Title in a cage against Bret. Since that was the exact same main event as the following night on Raw, they kept it off the MSG broadcast. They also hoped to protect the gate by keeping the main event as an arena only affair. Undertaker vs. Vader in a casket match was the semi main event at MSG and the main event for the TV broadcast.
eighities fan
Member # 4361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighities fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worse wwf annoncers were pete duke of dorchester dorsey and a woman whos last name was mcguirk. pete sounded like he had a throat full of glass and he ALWAYS had sexist things to say about women more than once mcguirk sounded like she was ready to cry. Tom prichard was usally the third announcer while far from the best he was Gordon Solie compared to dorchester and mcguirk.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming Bruce Prichard, Mike McGuirk, and Pete Doherty did probably all or the majority of the Sam Houston shows. Back in the late 80s, the WWF released a tape called "Hulk Hogan: A Real American" through Coliseum Video; the last match is an arena show from the Coliseum w/ Hogan defending the WWF title against Ted DiBiase and these three are on commentary.
Infinit
Member # 4145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Toronto had Jack Reynolds doing pbp, no?

I

SkullKrusher12000
Member # 4720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkullKrusher12000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tamalie:
Gene Okerlund did occasional match commentary for the house shows around 1984 and 1985, but rarely, if ever, afterwards. Gene was just awful. Honestly he was a total embarrassment. Gene truly had nothing of note to offer at all. He'd make a comment like "Big John Studd, the big 350 pounder" and then repeat it many times during the bout, with the words changed around slightly if at all. He'd say something like "this capacity crowd is going wild" or "what a move, what a move!", but with no real context or insight. Gene also had no chemistry with his broadcast partners, whomever they were, at all. It's no wonder the WWF stopped using him on match commentary and it's amazing Gene was allowed to do it as long as he did. Gorilla, Vince, and Alfred weren't everyone's cup of tea, but they were Emmy winners compared to Gene.

This is true. Gene was great doing interviews (though he was always trying to get himself over). But he might go down as the WORST commentator ever. And I've heard a lot of 'em. Gene was literally like a little doll that would say things when you pushed him. I think Monsoon would just push a button and Gene would say "That's incredible!" or "Oh my!" or "Get him outta here!"

[ 04-20-2007, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: SkullKrusher12000 ]

'zillajoe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Superstar Graham also did some Boston and Philly shows
elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Doctor of Style Slick also provided color, very very bad, I might add along side Monsoon during his first few months with the company on Maple Leaf Wrestling WWF broadcasts.
Wolverine
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolverine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didnt Brother Love do commentary on some MSG shows as well? And there's also at least one MSG show with Honky Tonk Man announcing if the dusty dvd is anything to go by.
Wild Rover
Member # 7338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Rover   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike McGuirk was a hottie. The Lilian Garcia of her day.

--------------------
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BadstreetUSA:
Don't forget Dick Graham and Kal Rudman in Philly. Rudman was so bad, he was relegated to backstage interviews after the expansion started. Then it was Monsoon and Graham doing the call of the action.

Kal Rudman sucked 8,000 different kinds of wang.

Horrible !!!!!!!!!!!

And the toupee....dear sweet LORD.

--------------------
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide

And my soul has been... psychedelicized

MrNWA From FLA
Member # 1768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrNWA From FLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's the guy that did the ring announcing, I think in Philly? I believe he was an older guy with glasses and a moustache.

--------------------
Freedom Of Speech? Yeah, Just Watch What You Say...Ice-T

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

I believe you are referring to Dave Zinkoff who did the public address announcing for Warriors and later 76ers hoops, as well as for college sports, boxing, and occasionally the wrestling cards. He died in late 1985 at the age of 75.
Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Most of the Philly shows I ever saw, the ring announcer was Mel Phillips (the dark-skinned guy who got himself in a ton of trouble, which came to light during the scandals of the early 90's). There were a few others, but none on a regualr basis.

He might be thinking of Norm Kimber, although that was Toronto, not Philly. Norm did the Maple Leaf Gardens shows, and also "All-Star Wrestling", the "B-team" syndicated show which was the predecessor of "Wrestling Challenge".

Mike McGuirk was somewhat attractive (IMO) but I doubt she could sing like Lilian.

Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rudman was horrible even on the backstage interviews.

The ones he had with Don Muraco were really bizarre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOQbxgPB8qw

LOL

[ 04-22-2007, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Mark from WA ]

--------------------
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide

And my soul has been... psychedelicized

Member # 5830

quote:
Most of the Philly shows I ever saw, the ring announcer was Mel Phillips (the dark-skinned guy who got himself in a ton of trouble, which came to light during the scandals of the early 90's). There were a few others, but none on a regualr basis.

He might be thinking of Norm Kimber, although that was Toronto, not Philly. Norm did the Maple Leaf Gardens shows, and also "All-Star Wrestling", the "B-team" syndicated show which was the predecessor of "Wrestling Challenge".

Mike McGuirk was somewhat attractive (IMO) but I doubt she could sing like Lilian.

Don't forget that Gary Michael Capetta, looking teenager I might add, was ring announcer in Philly during the early eighties, before Mel Phillips started doing it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations