WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Sheepherders/Bushwackers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sheepherders/Bushwackers
Bud316 Live from Robarts Arena
Member # 5262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bud316 Live from Robarts Arena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, just a quick question.. I have heard there was another Sheepherder, i don t know if this was before Butch/Luke(bushwackers) or after. Jonathan Boyd was the other name i have heard of, when did he wrestle, and what did he look like?

Thanks
Bud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDCo1zDBAI4

Youtube of Ronnie and Jimmy Garvin vs. Sheepherders with Jonny Ace from orange bowl joint CWF/NWA show

IP: Logged
HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can probably learn a lot more through the Search button, but basically the answer is Yes.

Luke & Butch had been known as the Kiwi Sheepherders at least by 1980. They probably had been teaming for years in New Zealand and/or Australia too.

Then, Jonathan Boyd spent some time teaming up with Luke Williams as the Sheepherders in San Antonio, around 1983. I'm not sure where Butch Miller was at that time. Boyd then suffered an injury, prompting Miller's return.

Then, Boyd went to Memphis in 1985 with a dude named Big Foot, forming another version of the Sheepherders. I am 99% sure that Big Foot was Rip Morgan, the hairy guy who was the Sheepherders' flagbearer in 1988. They also had Tarus Bulba as "an honorary sheepherder", and I think they might have been associated with Bill Dundee and/or Jos LeDuc too.

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that Butch had to return to NZ for a while, and Jonathan replaced him for a while, then when Butch returned Jonathan became their manager for a while.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jacko Victory!
Sir Tojo
Member # 6069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheepherders Luke Williams & Johnathan Boyd did well in Fla. in 1981. Late '81 & almost all of '82 saw Boyd & Williams in Alabama for Fuller's Southeastern (did great there, held the tag belts alot), & in late '82 to the spring of '83 Luke & Johnathan were together in Memphis, before they headed on to San Antonio. Boyd then got hurt in the car wreck, & Butch Miller took J.B.'s spot.

--------------------
I survived 6 years of George Gulas matches.

Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the Sheepherders in Portland (1980) which were Miller & Williams. Boyd was there also, but he was a tough guy babyface (still had the long hair from his Royal Kangaroo days) & was feuding with Buddy Rose & his army. The Sheeps eventually turned 'face vs. Rose as well.

Boyd & Norman Frederick Charles III were The Royal Kangaroos, starting in mid '71 & continued up through most of the '70s as a team. They mainly wrestled in Portland & Mid-Atlantic.

[ 09-08-2006, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Mark from WA ]

--------------------
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide

And my soul has been... psychedelicized

eighities fan
Member # 4361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighities fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In San Antonio there was also a female sheepherder. Cant rememeber her name but I do remember she was arrested but again cant remember why. maybe someone could fill in the blanks. [Smile]
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Boyd and Luke were awesome together. They were the most violent team in wrestling at the time. I liked watching them whip up on a true friend of Wrestling Classics The Kansas Jayhawker Hangman Bobby Jaggers.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Greg from Brisbane
Member # 5894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg from Brisbane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke & Butch worked for WCW in Australia in 72 as The Kiwis Bob Miller & Gorgeous Teddy Williams, Wikipedia has Miller holding a whole pile of singles & tag titles in Australia through the 70s as Ron Miller, these are two completely different wrestlers, Wikipedia strikes again, I guess this is what happens when you put some doofus in front of a keyboard & say knock yourself out, in another article they say that WCW was run by American promotor Sam Menacker when actually it was run by Barnett & Doyle & Sam was their ring announcer in Sydney for the first 5 or 6 years.

[ 09-09-2006, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Greg from Brisbane ]

Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey
Member # 5974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg from Brisbane:
Luke & Butch worked for WCW in Australia in 72 as The Kiwis Bob Miller & Gorgeous Teddy Williams, Wikipedia has Miller holding a whole pile of singles & tag titles in Australia through the 70s as Ron Miller, these are two completely different wrestlers, Wikipedia strikes again, I guess this is what happens when you put some doofus in front of a keyboard & say knock yourself out.

Wasn't Lukes gimmick at one time a 'gay' gimmick? Sweet William and Butch would bring him out on a leash?

I am actually awaiting some great footage of these two in their great feud with Roddy Piper from Portland. Can't wait to get it!

--------------------
"Live long and prosper."

"HAVE AT THEE BASE VILLIAN!"

Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a cool match from '80 Portland where Piper goes vs. Luke in a hair match. [Smile]

--------------------

Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey
Member # 5974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Intelligent Sensational Super Mopey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I recall at the time both Luke and Butch had long hair and I think Lukes might have even been bleached blonde. I remember they were always having Hair Matches to humiliate opponents up there especially when Buddy Rose was involved. He got his head shaved and wore a mask with a blond wig sewed to it!

--------------------
"Live long and prosper."

"HAVE AT THEE BASE VILLIAN!"

Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Yep, I have that tape. [Smile]

I recall Rose saying that he & The Sheepherders made a few extra bucks in Portland by having pics taken of Buddy without the wig & with very short hair. The Sheeps at that point had split with Rose on the show & told the fans that they were selling them in the lobby (IIRC).

Butch & Luke had long hair when they first came to Portland but it didn't last long. [Smile]

--------------------

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also wrestled as the Kiwi Sheepherders for Stu Hart's Stampede promotion in the late 70's early 80's.
The Mississippi Mauler mark II
Member # 1561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mississippi Mauler mark II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elguapo1000%:
They also wrestled as the Kiwi Sheepherders for Stu Hart's Stampede promotion in the late 70's early 80's.

There are clips of them in Stampede on the Bret Hart set.

--------------------
"The best fine producer in our tournament was a guy from Tennessee named Moondog Randy Colley. He'd spent a few years in the WWF as part of the Moondogs tag team and claimed to have invented the leather-clad face-painted gimmick of Demolition, which Vince then stole from him. I liked Demolition better when they were called the Road Warriors anyway.", Chris Jericho from A Lion's Tale

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations