WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » WWF's Bunkhouse Brawl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WWF's Bunkhouse Brawl?
HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grab your old WWF Magazines!

I recall reading about a special battle royal at a house show (I think it's the Nassau Coliseum) in which guys wore whatever they wanted to the ring, such as Lanny Poffo's armor and Hercules' chain. The WWF Magazine did an article on this match, and I'm interested in figuring out who the participants were.

It occurred either late in 1987 or early 1988. The same issue did a story about either the Survivor Series or the Royal Rumble on USA.

The article may or may not have gone into detail about who was in it, but I distinctly recall seeing a wide picture of the full ring, so even that would be an easy way of picking them out.

The winner was Bam Bam Bigelow, who eliminated Demolition to win it. (not to be confused with the Superstars battle royal which Bigelow won by eliminating Bob Orton and Hercules)

I already browsed through GCDrevil's awesome collection of WWF house show results, but I couldn't find it there. Hopefully, it can get added to his page when we have it figured out.

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

IP: Logged
Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the Bulldogs were in it with a dogcatcher net. The Rougeus had hockey jerseys on, but I can't remember if they had helmets and pads. The picture from the magazine used to be on the Weird world of wrestling site, but the site is no longer up. Maybe someone saved the picture and can post it.
IrishWhip Mark 2
Member # 2029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IrishWhip Mark 2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the WWF's Even More Unusual Matches coliseum video, they show a Bunkhouse Brawl from the Boston Gardens, which BlackJack Mulligan won.
Konsycho
Member # 2557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konsycho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by: Robert Duncan
The picture from the magazine used to be on the Weird world of wrestling site, but the site is no longer up. Maybe someone saved the picture and can post it.

Ask MMV it was his site

--------------------
“Wrestling… what men do during boys basketball season.” – Dan Gable

Graham Cawthon
Member # 3438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Cawthon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing that comes to mind is the previously mentioned Boston Garden's match. That was January 87.

Poffo wore the suit of armor, Blackjack Mulligan had a football jersey, Bundy was in it, Dick Slater, Don Muraco, etc.

--------------------
TheHistoryofWWE.com

Graham Cawthon
Member # 3438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Cawthon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope someone can come across the show you're looking for, I'd love to add it to what I have thus far.

As far as the Superstars' battle royal, I'd like to find more on that too. TV taping results from the 80s are not easy to come across [Frown]

--------------------
TheHistoryofWWE.com

Moondog JJ
Member # 709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moondog JJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that match at the Centrum in Worcester, Massachusetts. Two things I remember about it. (Besides Poffo and the armor.)
Billy Jack Haynes was supposed to be in it but by the time the match came he was no longer wrestling in the WWF. In the commercials he was always shown with a chainsaw.
Paul Roma, who was an enhancer at the time, did very well in the match and was one of the last four men left in the ring.
That’s all I remember. I don't know who won.

--------------------
(The preceding composition required discretionary reader participation.)

wweattitude
Member # 3225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wweattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was another one of those bunkhouse battle royals, titan style in buffalo, in 1987. Sometime in the beginning of the year, I think. Also GCDrevil here is the match listings for the October-November 1987 Tv tapings, don't have cities and/or specific dates or results for many(includes that "superstars battle royal with bam bam bigelow winning though!), can dig them up if I can in a couple of days(got finals this week [Frown] ) well here goes nothing:

Honky Tonk Man (IC Champ) VS Tito Santana
Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake VS Jobber
Demolition interview on their song on the WWF Piledriver album
Hulk Hogan interview on Killer Khan
WWF Update on Battle For Bam Bam Bigelow - Slick gloats as other managers in running are eliminated, Bigelow's debut shunning out Bobby Heenan and announcing Oliver Humperdink as his manager, Nikolai Volkoff VS Bam Bam Bigelow, Humperdink/Bigelow comments
One Man Gang VS Jobber
Paul Orndorff VS Barry Horowitz
Mr. Fuji (w/ Killer Khan) interview on Khan VS Hulk Hogan
Mr. Fuji/Killer Khan interview on Khan VS Hulk Hogan
Khan offers some Japanese words to Hogan
Bam Bam Bigelow VS Barry Horowitz
Shadows VS Paul Roma/Jimmy Powers
The push for Roma and Powers has begun
Roma/Powers come out to Jimmy Hart's "Crank It Up" from the Piledriver album; Jesse Ventura expresses his disapproval
Vince McMahon refers to Roma/Powers as "Young Stallions"
Bam Bam Bigelow/Oliver Humperdink interview on Harley Race
Hart Foundation (Tag Champs) VS SD Jones/Buddy Rogers
McMahon makes mention of Hulk Hogan dating Dolly Parton
Jim Duggan VS Terry Gibbs
WWF Update on Piledriver album - Fans give their favorites, clip of music video for "Piledriver" song
Sika VS George Steele
New Dream Team VS Paul Roma/Jimmy Powers
Superstar Billy Graham/Rougeau Brothers VS 3 Jobbers
Paul Orndorff interview on King Kong Bundy
Mean Gene Okerlund wears sunglasses for part of interview
Okerlund mentions the "Dingo Warrior" as being on an upcoming card
Killer Khan VS Jobber
Music video on Matilda - "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?"
Junkyard Dog/Ivan Putski VS 2 Jobbers
Putski teaches JYD some Polish
Magnificent Muraco VS Bob Orton
Magnificent Muraco interview on Honky Tonk Man
Demolition VS Mario Mancini/Jobber
"Piledriver" music video
Nikolai Volkoff/Butch Reed/One Man Gang VS Sivi Afi/2 Jobbers
Survivor Series Preview - Hulk Hogan's Team VS Andre The Giant's Team
Hart Foundation interview on Survivor Series
Killer Bees VS Hart Foundation (Tag Champs)
Brutus Beefcake VS Jobber
Hulk Hogan interview on Survivor Series
New Dream Team VS SD Jones/Jobber
British Bulldogs (w/ Matilda) interview on Survivor Series
Demolition interview on Survivor Series
Strike Force introduce "Girls In Cars" music video
Outback Jack - Say No To Drugs message
Billy Jack Haynes VS Nikolai Volkoff
New Dream Team VS British Bulldogs
Haku VS Tito Santana
One Man Gang/Slick interview on Hulk Hogan
WWF Update on Paul Orndorff VS King Kong Bundy on Saturday Night's Main Event, Andre The Giant helps Bundy get the win
Rick Rude VS Jobber
Bobby Heenan introduces Andre The Giant
Paul Orndorff comes out on interview platform and poses for crowd, stealing Rude's thunder
Honky Tonk Man interview on Randy Savage
Jimmy Hart introduces The Glamour Girls
"Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo" music video
Bam Bam Bigelow/Oliver Humperdink interview on Hercules
Paul Roma/Jimmy Powers comment on beating Hart Foundation on TV and upcoming Survivor Series
British Bulldogs VS Steve Lombardi/Jose Estrada
Mr. Fuji, Slick, Bobby Heenan and Jimmy Hart talk on 20 man Tag Teams Survivor Series match
"King" Harley Race VS Jobber
After the match, Race has his opponent bow to him
Jim Duggan on his way to the ring meets Race on his way to the back. Race refuses to move, Duggan knocks him down with his 2X4
Jim Duggan VS Tiger Chung Lee
After the match, Harley Race comes back down and tries to sneak attack Duggan. Duggan gets the upper hand, and acquires Race's crown and gown out of the ordeal
Honky Tonk Man (IC Champ) VS George Steele
Hulk Hogan interview on One Man Gang
Sika VS Bam Bam Bigelow
Ivan Putski VS Iron Mike Sharpe
Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan (Prime Time hosts) look at Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant's Survivor Series teams
Clip of Bobby Heenan taking Gorilla Monsoon around the woods to show him Andre training for Survivor Series. Heenan brought a bunch of bananas for Monsoon to snack on =)
Jim Duggan VS Johnny K-9
Brutus Beefcake interview on Survivor Series
Bolshiviks VS 2 Jobbers
Bolshiviks Tag Debut; Boris Zukov's WWF Debut
Butch Reed VS Superstar Billy Graham
Honky Tonk Man/Jimmy Hart interview on Survivor Series
Survivor Series Ad
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan look at Hart Foundation and Strike Force's Survivor Series teams
Islanders/Bob Orton VS Ken Patera/Magnificent "The Rock" Muraco/Billy Jack Haynes
On screen graphic shows Muraco as "The Rock"
Demolition VS Brady Boone/Scott Casey
Billy Jack Haynes comments on being proud of cousin Boone
Boone beaten down after match; Haynes makes save. Haynes is then beaten down and saved by Ken Patera. Patera is then beaten down too
WWF Update on "King" Harley Race having opponent bow, Jim Duggan confrontation, Duggan "King for a Day", Bobby Heenan's comments toward Duggan
"Dangerous" Danny Davis VS Sam Houston
Davis loses and chases the ref to the back
Killer Khan/Mr. Fuji comments, Khan spews green mist at camera
10 Man Battle Royal. Participants include...
One Man Gang, Ultimate Warrior, Bob Orton, Magnificent "The Rock" Muraco, Outback Jack, Bam Bam Bigelow, Nikolai Volkoff, Hercules, Junkyard Dog, Boris Zukov
Ultimate Warrior's WWF Debut
Bigelow eliminates Hercules and Orton together to win the match
Honky Tonk Man/Jimmy Hart interview on Jake Roberts
Hart Foundation and Strike Force comment on facing each other the following week for the Tag Titles
Captain Lou Albano Hotline Ad
Bobby Heenan plays with stretch Hulk Hogan doll
Bob Orton VS "Rock" Muraco
Clip of Jim Duggan "King For A Day", Bobby Heenan comments for Duggan
Sam Houston VS Iron Mike Sharpe
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan look at 1988 WWF Calendar; none of Heenan's men are in it
Strike Force interview on Survivor Series
WWF Update on Rick Rude/Paul Orndorff feud - Bobby Heenan saying Orndorff will be on following week and declare Rude has the best body, Orndorff disagrees with Heenan and fires him, Rude and Heenan comments, Orndorff VS Jobber match - Rude and Heenan come out on interview platform and Rude poses to crowd, Orndorff returns the favor during a Rude match
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan comment on Paul Orndorff
Boris Zukov VS Hillbilly Jim
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan talk about upcoming WWF Magazine
Hulk Hogan interview on Survivor Series
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan discuss Hulk Hogan burnout VS Andre The Giant ringrust
Killer Bees VS Demolition
Randy Savage and his Survivor Series team (Ricky Steamboat, Jake Roberts, Brutus Beefcake, Jim Duggan) interview on Survivor Series
Sam Houston comments
"Honky Tonk Man" music video
Hart Foundation pre-match comments
Hart Foundation (Tag Champs) VS Strike Force
Strike Force win the Tag Titles
Strike Force celebrate their Title win in the dressing room with other faces
"King" Jim Duggan interview on having crown and gown, Bobby Heenan comes out and distracts Duggan as Harley Race attacks Duggan from behind
King Kong Bundy VS Jobber
Andre The Giant and fellow Survivor Series teammates (Butch Reed, Rick Rude, One Man Gang) come to ringside to watch fellow teammate Bundy
Clip of Demolition beating up Ken Patera after saving Billy Jack Haynes
Ken Patera/Billy Jack Haynes VS Terry Gibbs/Jobber
Paul Orndorff/Superstar Graham/Bam Bam Bigelow and team captain Hulk Hogan interview on Survivor Series
Killer Khan VS Jobber
Superstar Billy Graham and Butch Reed comment on facing each other the following week
Honky Tonk Man (IC Champ) VS Hillbilly Jim
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan comment on Honky/Hillbilly match; Heenan gives funny comments on Hillbilly
Outback Jack VS Jose Estrada
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan take a look at Honky Tonk Man and Randy Savage's Survivor Series teams
Nikolai Volkoff VS Bam Bam Bigelow
Intros and finish
Bobby Heenan tries to play Producer
"Jive Soul Bro" music video
Butch Reed VS Omar Atlas
Bob Orton VS Scott Casey
Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan discuss Strike Force winning Tag Titles, Monsoon comments that Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart had a bad back going into the match - a reason why he gave up to Rick Martel's Boston Crab so quickly thereby losing the Titles
Bam Bam Bigelow VS Jobber
Intros and finish
Andre The Giant's Survivor Series team (Butch Reed, One Man Gang, King Kong Bundy, Rick Rude) along with Bobby Heenan and Slick interview on Survivor Series. They all stretch a Hulk Hogan doll in every direction
Classical music montage on Brutus Beefcake and his cutting ways
Bolshiviks VS 2 Jobbers
Paul Orndorff VS Jobber
Danny Davis and Sam Houston comment on facing each other the following week
Ultimate Warrior VS Steve Lombardi
Demolition introduce their music video talking about Ken Patera/Billy Jack Haynes - "Demolition" music video
Don "The Rock" Muraco VS Jobber
Finally Muraco's name change is complete...
Fans comment on Survivor Series
Butch Reed VS Superstar Billy Graham
One Man Gang comes to the ring to help beat down Graham, with Reed and Slick holding Graham down Gang splashes Graham's bad hip, Don Muraco makes the save, Graham carried away on stretcher
Ricky Steamboat and Honky Tonk Man comment on facing each other the following week
Bob Orton VS Jim Duggan
"Stand Back" music video - done to clips of Hulk Hogan/Andre The Giant history
Demolition with their Survivor Series team (Bolshiviks, Hart Foundation, New Dream Team, Islanders) along with Bobby Heenan, Slick, Mr. Fuji and Jimmy Hart interview on the Survivor Series
Hart Foundation VS British Bulldogs
Gorilla Monsoon pulls a Thanksgiving turkey out of a wrapped box, refers to it as "The Brain" (co-host Bobby Heenan) =)
British Bulldogs VS Gladiator/Jobber
WWF Update on Superstar Billy Graham injury by Butch Reed/One Man Gang - Don Muraco comments on filling in for him on Hulk Hogan's Survivor Series team
Fans opinions on Survivor Series
Rick Rude VS Jobber
Jim Duggan VS Iron Mike Sharpe
Andre The Giant and his Survivor Series team (Rick Rude, King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang, Butch Reed) with Bobby Heenan and Slick interview on Survivor Series
Bolshiviks interview on Killer Bees

hope this helps dude!!!!! [Cool]

--------------------
"As long as you live through it you survive." -Vince McMahon

CptainDan
Member # 3037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CptainDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bunkhouse Brawl was a house show gimmick card that the WWF ran annually for a couple of years, much like the Frank Tunney Sr. Memorial Cup and King of the Ring (before it was on PPV). They had one in Buffalo in either December 86 or January 87 that Blackjack Mulligan won by eliminating King Kong Bundy. I didn't witness it but I was at the show the next month where the main event was Mulligan vs Bundy in a grudge match, stemming from the previous month's show. Mulligan also eliminated Bundy to win the Boston Bunkhouse Brawl around that same time after they teased Duke of Dorchester Pete Doherty winning it. That version of the event is on a Coliseum video.

I saw the next Brawl held in Buffalo in early 88, and MAN was it a let down. Everyone dropped their weapons out of the ring as soon as the match started, and then most of the eliminations occured via that really fake spot where one wrestler attempts a wild punch and the opponent ducks and flips him over the ropes. I remember Ultimate Warrior, Hercules, Sika, Ken Patera, Demolition, George Steele, Butch Reed, and Harley Race being in it. Don Muraco, wearing a Buffalo Bills jersey, won the event by eliminating both of the Islanders.

Graham Cawthon
Member # 3438

quote:
Originally posted by wweattitude:

hope this helps dude!!!!!

Much appreciated. Here is what I have as far as TV tapings in that timeframe.

WWF @ Syracuse, NY - October 27, 1987
WWF Superstars taping:
11/7/87:
Jake Roberts defeated Rip Oliver
King Kong Bundy defeated Pete Lucic
Billy Jack Haynes & Ken Patera defeated Ray Miller & Terry Gibbs
Killer Khan defeated Kurt Hoffman
Tito Santana & Rick Martel defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Hart Foundation to win the titles when Jim Neidhart submitted to Martel's Boston Crab
11/21/87:
The British Bulldogs defeated Gladiator & Dusty Wolfe
Rick Rude defeated Gary Starr
Jim Duggan defeated Iron Mike Sharpe
One Man Gang defeated Mike Flanagan
The Islanders defeated two jobbers

WWF @ Rochester, NY - October 28, 1987
Television taping

WWF @ Seattle, WA - Coliseum - November 11, 1987
Saturday Night's Main Event #13 - shown 11/28/87 on NBC:
George Steele defeated Danny Davis via submission at 4:47
Randy Savage pinned Bret Hart at 15:00
King Kong Bundy defeated WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan via count-out at 9:00
Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Hercules at 5:30

WWF @ Omaha, NE - November 18, 1987
Television taping

WWF @ Landover, MD - Capital Centre - December 7, 1987
Saturday Night's Main Event #14 - shown 1/2/88 on NBC:
WWF Tag Team Champions Rick Martel & Tito Santana defeated Boris Zhukov & Nikolai Volkoff at 7:56 in a Best 2 out of 3 falls match, 2 falls to none; Martel defeated Zhukov with the Boston Crab at 4:26; Santana pinned Zhukov
Jake Roberts pinned Sika (w/ Mr. Fuji) at 3:30 with a roll up after Sika hit the corner; after the match, Roberts hit the DDT on Fuji
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned King Kong Bundy (w/ Andre the Giant) with the legdrop at 12:04 after Hulking up from two Avalanches and a splash; after the match, Andre attacked Hogan from behind
Greg Valentine defeated Koko B. Ware via submission at 7:28 with the figure-4

WWF @ Tampa, FL - December 8, 1987
Television taping

--------------------
TheHistoryofWWE.com

HMFiles from WA
Member # 598

Icon 2 posted      Profile for HMFiles from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around 1986, they took "Bunkhouse Battle Royals" on tour. The one I saw in person was oddly won by either Muraco or Valentine (probably because Mulligan no-showed.) This was probably around the same time as the one in Boston from Coliseum video. Both cards also featured Savage defending the IC title against Bruno, so it must have been shortly after the Steamboat throat-crushing incident.

Anyways, I'm trying to arrange to borrow the WWF magazine that has the "official" Bunkhouse Brawl from late 1987, so I should have that result soon.

PS: GCDrevil, I'm going to try and dig up that card I went to. Springfield, MA for sure, and I don't see it on your site yet.

--------------------
Here's to Mark.

uman4546
Member # 2948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uman4546         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a WWF Bunkhouse battle royal at house show here in Pittsburgh in early 1988. I think Jim Duggan won,but I can't remember for sure.
JMadDepthW
Member # 122368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMadDepthW   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WWF Magazine Volume 7 Number 3 (March 1988)

I hope this clears up any questions you may have left.

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Jimmy Wheeler (Professional Wrestling Historical Society)

timbo_slice
Member # 20992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbo_slice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did these predate the Bunkhouse Stampede?
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Bunkhouse Stampede came first (1985 was when Crockett started doing them) and this was the WWF's response.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations