WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Lawman Don Slatton

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawman Don Slatton
Mr. Wonder ful
Member # 841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Wonder ful     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember Slatton? I recall reading about him occasionally in the late 60's. It seems he always wrestled in Dory Sr's Amarillo promotion, and was pushed as one tough dude.
He just seemed to disappear.

IP: Logged
Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering the same thing. I never saw him but I read many articles about him. He seemed to be the area "tough guy" hero in Texas back then. He looked to be a fairly tall guy also. Did he wrestle anywhere else (besides Amarillo) ?

[This message has been edited by Mark from WA (edited 05-07-2002).]

Ken Carson
Member # 2418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Carson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besdies wrestling for the Funks, Don "Lawman" Slatton was the promoter in Abilene, Texas. He kept himself in a lot of main events there, but, from what I heard, he WAS pretty tough, & a good wrestler--a real fan favorite!
Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the articles I read, he seemed pretty cool. He was always in taped fist matches, etc. - the guy that would come in to kick the crud out of the top heel once & for all.

Gerry K. Fabian
Member # 1452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerry K. Fabian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slatton was the promoter in Abilene, one of the stops for the Amarillo promotion. He supposedly had some sort of legal dispute with the Funks in the latter days of their owning the promotion, which may have been one factor in their deciding to sell out.

Slatton specialized in bloody gimmicks--Russian chain matches, brass knucks, etc. It's been said that he was addicted to the blade. He was billed at 6'5" and was a lean cowboy type. He wrestled in white jeans, perhaps to show off the blood better. His finisher was the bulldog. I remember seeing him wrestle in Amarillo as late as about 1980, when he and Toru Tanaka put on one of the most boring matches I've ever seen. I don't know how old he was at that point, but he seemed to have nothing left to give in the ring.

I think his value to the promotion probably declined in the 70s because of Dick Murdoch, who turned babyface in 1973 (?). Murdoch had basicly the same gimmick as a tough cowboy, but was much better in the ring. As for Slatton's abilities, I recall him as very good on promos, but not too impressive in the ring. To me he was like a lot of wrestlers today who rely on blood and gimmicks instead of psychology. JMO, of course.

danegger
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danegger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I know, "The Lawman" resides in Abilene..I read a little story on him in the Abilene paper a few weeks back when WWF came to the Taylor County Convention Center. It said something about a son or nephew that is a wrestler and wrestles independently...Forgot what it said he was doing now..
oldguy
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know back in the 80's Don "The Lawman" Slatton ran a bail bonds Company in Abilene Texas. He used to have commercials for his business during WCCW wrestling. During the commercial, it had old footage of his wrestling days.
Psycho 1
Member # 2481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psycho 1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An online search has shown that he was still a bail bondsman in 1998 and involved in a dispute with civil government over his career field.
wanderer
Member # 2653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye aye to all that GKersh posted here about Slatton. He actually was a "lawman" of some sort before getting into wrestling, too, although it's very hazy in my mind what his affiliation actually was. Could have been anything from a deputy sheriff all the way down to lowly constable. His claim to fame, which he rode into the wrestling business, was putting the arm on Texas wheeler-dealer Billy Sol Estes (oldtimers might remember the name, and if you don't, it's really too long a story to relate here); newspapers nationwide ran the picture of Estes being led away from his home in handcuffs, chaperoned by a tall, skinny and very startled-looking Don Slatton.

I can tell you from personal experience that Slatton was one of the most creative pranksters in the business. A very funny guy to be around. He's the one who came up with the famous swerve on Jack Brisco that involved "meeting" the governor of Texas, whose name was Briscoe; Dory Jr. wrote about it a couple of years ago on his Web site. It's considered one of the classic gags in the business.

CHAZZ
Member # 328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHAZZ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slatton did some work for Joe Blanchard in San Antonio around '78-'79. He may have been there longer but I am unsure.

Chuck

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations