WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Championship Wrestling (Tulsa)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Championship Wrestling (Tulsa)
Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The discussion on NWA TV programs stuck some curiosity with me, as somebody mentioned a show called "Chapionship Wrestling" from Tulsa. I'm assuming this was the Leroy McGuirk Tri-State promotion, which ran in the part of the country I grew up in--however it ran only until I was a small child. Additionally, most people I know in there area have few if any recolections of the promotion.

Bearing all of that in mind, some questions:
Was this a studio show or arena?
Was it mostly squash matches or were there some "TV Main Events"?
Who were the announcers?
How "angle heavy" was the program?
How big of a syndication network (if any) existed for the program?
What years did it run?

Sorry to bog y'all down, but this seems to be the *only* place where anybody remembers Tri-State!

Travis

IP: Logged
eh2000man
Member # 165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eh2000man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can remember the "Championship Wresling" program airing on KLFY Channel 10 for Lafayette, LA on Saturday afternoons at 1:00PM. I remember that the program was hosted by Boyd Pierce. I don't remember a whole lot about the show, but it was the first wrestling program that I ever watched somewhere around 1978. I can remember watching every Saturday afternoon, but don't recall when exactally Mid-South Wrestling aired in its place. Man, those were the days.
David Williamson
Member # 307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a number of early '80's Tri-State clippings (Tulsa, Springfield, Oklahoma City, etc.).Guys like Tommy & Eddie Gilbert, Ron McLane, Jerry Brown, veterans Rip Hawk & Swede Hansen, Jimmy Snuka, Ricky Morton, Billy Starr, El Toro, The Turk,David Sammartino, Tom Jones, Paul Jones, Siva Afi, and a number of others.My clips are from around 1981-1982.It was a small area, but, from what I read & heard, it was a good regional promotion.I remember Eddie Mansfield was there, also.
markfordibiase
Member # 1882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for markfordibiase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think this is a show i used to see as a little kid in okla.city....if it is i remember it as a studio show and if i remember correctly then porkchop cash was a top face in this promotion,thats all i have though.
Hijo del Richard Sullivan
Member # 475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hijo del Richard Sullivan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think by the time Jones, Siva Afi, Hanson & Hawk and those guys came in, it had changed from Tri-States to "Midwest Championship Wrestling." That's when George Scott took over the book. The group folded a short time later.
tlyne
Member # 319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a match on tape from Midwest Championship Wrestling that features Paul Jones defending a title against Jimmy Snuka. Snuka wears boots and a ring jacket. it just struck me as odd.
Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tri-State area ran from the late Sixties, until 81 or 82. But, the major part of it's talent and most of McGuirk's territory was taken over by Bill Watts in 1979. That was the birth of the Mid-South area. As was said, Boyd Pierce hosted the show and it was filmed in a studio in Shreveport. It featured main event matches on TV just like Mid-South did. On the Bill Watts shoot video, they have a TV match from 1975 from the McGuirk area with Watts, who was North American Champ, taking on Terry Funk, who was the International Champ to see who would get a shot at Jack Brisco. I think the early syndication was pretty much the same as Mid-South's, since Watts also took over Leroy's syndication deal. Of course Watts expanded this once he was in charge of Mid-South.
David Williamson
Member # 307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard is right. It was called Midwest by the early 1980's.
David Williamson
Member # 307

Well, Richard & I were both right! I checked some of my clippings again, and it looks like sometime in 1981 the name switch from Tri-States to Midwest became official. Some of the fellows I metioned in my earlier post DID wrestle in that region when it was still Tri-States, and some wrestled there when it was Midwest. Also,it was Ron McFarlane, not as I spelled it earlier.
NYTERSS
Member # 535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYTERSS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Tulsa for a couple of runs in the early '80s the program was taped in a building across the parking lot from the building we did our house shows in, at the fairgrounds, and I believe we taped at the regular building once or twice. And the on air commentary was done by none other than Jim Ross, and one segment LeRoy would do commentary...LOL.... which I always thought was some kind of rib, as he couldn't see what anyone was doing. I remember them getting shots of him and he wasn't even looking in the direction of the ring. It was a great territory though, I realy liked LeRoy,Dorothy, and Mike, his daughter,guess he wanted a son......K.W.
Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a bunch, y'all. I've gotten more info from this board in 2 days than the entire 20 years or so I lived in the area in question! If anybody has results from Shrine Mosque (Springfield, MO) cards from this period, please email me. Thanks again!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations