WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » The Loaded Boot?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Loaded Boot?
ron ripple
Member # 305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron ripple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't see the loaded boot used that much anymore. Which wrestler do you think really "sold" the loaded boot? I thought Iron Shiek, Texas Red and the Infernos did a decent job.
IP: Logged
teddy baker
Member # 722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teddy baker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Wright used the loaded boot for years in Tn.And did a great job selling it.
Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see someone take up this gimmick again--however to update it to modern wrestling, have them use a superkick after loading the boot. Then have the victim dead sell the move ofterwards.

Of corse, that would mean a modern day wrestler would have to sell--what am I thinking?

Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course, "ofterwards" is German for "afterwords" I DID NOT misspell it!

lobo
Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any minute now, Crimson Mask
will respond pointing out a
word that you did misspell.

drew
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Great Memphisto did a pretty good job
too!

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
Any minute now, Crimson Mask
will respond pointing out a
word that you did misspell.

Who, me? Of corse not!

So long from the Sunshine State!

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

...okay, okay...

...not to be a party pooper, but this always seemed like a dumb (if effective for heat) gimmick to me---I mean, you're stomping your foot on your toe, what are you supposed to be doing? Shifting the 'load' from the heel to the toe, I guess, right?

What the hell FOR? Why not just use a heel kick or stomp without all the razzamatazz? See what I'm saying?

And so how would it work with a Superkick, which is just a side kick that lands with the flat of the foot anyway? Stomp your foot normal to shift the load from the instep to the sole? Why not just throw a roundhouse kick which lands with the instep anyway?

In fact... oh, forget it!

Lucas
Member # 918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Great Mephisto (mentioned above) was Frankie Cain, who was also 1/2 of the original Infernos (also mentioned above), managed by "Esqure" J.C. Dykes for years. Cain and Rocky Smith were the original Infernos (early 1966-March, 1969, when Cain left the team), and in past interviews Frankie has said he & Rocky Smith took turns wearing the built up shoe, as it was uncomfortable to work with.Their shoe(so said Cain in an i/v) REALLY DID have an object in it, to make it look more realistic. I don't know for sure.?? Cain also used the shoe thing in his run as the Great Mephisto, during the 1970's, a good gimmick for him.
lobo
Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best I ever saw using this
gimmick was Tarzan "the boot" Tyler
when he wrestled for the Grand Prix
promotion in Montreal (early seventies).
The referee's back would be turned
and Tyler would "load up" his boot
by stomping the mat with the toe of his
boot.Everyone in the province of
Quebec knew Tyler had "loaded up"
except the ref.Worked every time.

GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Wattsland, the deadly "loaded boot" belonged to The Grappler, who did the whole kick the mat three times bit, to tipoff everyone in the building that he was using dastardly heel tricks again. Like Mask, I never particularly cared for it, because I couldn't figure out why the mat-kicking was necessary...far more effective to "load" the boot, however one might do that, backstage, and then just blast the babyface by surprise...this was one of the things that made me begin to question whether wrestling was entirely "on the level"...

[This message has been edited by GreyGhost (edited 11-05-2000).]

Bad Attitude Buc Buckner
Member # 975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Attitude Buc Buckner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was a crazy time back then... you had Grappler loading a boot, Dibiassi loading a clove, and Assasin loading a mask.....
Crimson Snapper
unregistered

I always thought Dibiase's loaded glove was the best heel gimmick of that time.

I loved it.

GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Buck Robley's loaded forearm pad...as a babyface!
TAFKADixie
Member # 711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAFKADixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NWA's Thunderfoot I and II were pretty cool with their loaded boots.....they rarely got to use em though...usually while they were loading the boot, the face would hit their finisher or the boot would backfire somehow
The Iron Cross
Member # 979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Iron Cross   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember the Grappler's loaded boot also. in 84 or 85, Hector Guerrero got the loaded boot off of the Grappler and after wearing it in the ring for a few weeks, he sawed it in half on TV and showed the fans and Gordon Solie what was inside of it.
ron ripple
Member # 305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ron ripple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As lobo alludes to, a heel's ability to sell the loaded boot to the crowd, such as Tarzen Tyler did, was just another way to get the fans invovled with the match and entertain them. Of course, it didn't make sense to "tap" the toe to "load" the boot, but try and tell that to 10,000 screaming fans in a packed arena in the 60's and 70's who saw their favorite face go down to the loaded boot! It's just like we know that The Rock's "People's Elbow" or Stone Cold's "Stunner" aren't really believable finishers; it's just the hype they go thru to get the fans involved, and isn't that what professional wrestling, or sports entertainment, was ever/always will be about?
Travis Cook
Member # 229

****Kayfabe Mode On*****

The reason the "mat stomping" was neccessary was this: The loaded weight is stored in the back of the boot until needed. When needed, the wrestler stomps the mat, which triggers a small spring in the back of the boot which shoots the weight into it's proper "clobbering" position (right below the arch of the foot). Obviously, you couldn't wrestle an entire match with the boot in the loaded position, as stepping on that weight time and again would injure your own foot. This is why you only load it when your ready to use it.

***Kayfabe Mode Off****

I forget where I heard that explanation, but it made sense to me as a kid.

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Oh...
Zarr Zanyo
Member # 618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zarr Zanyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original Infernos worked this gimmick the best. In the late 60's they fueded with George Becker and Johnny Weaver. I think Weaver and Becker finally took the boot off the Inferno on TV, and then one of them wore it aganist the Infernos at a house show.

quote:
What the hell FOR? Why not just use a heel kick or stomp without all the razzamatazz? See what I'm saying?

Crimson Mask 1: You need the "razzamatazz," you have to build the heat! It is just like using a foreign object. You don't just pull it out and use it. You work the crowd with it. Unless you want to leave the crowd wondering, "What was that?"

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Yeah, yeah, I know, I was having a temporary fit of logic...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations