WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Why did the AWA & NWA REALLY Fold up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why did the AWA & NWA REALLY Fold up?
ntrots
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ntrots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
growing up in the WWWF area, I always wanted to know about the AWA. Why did it fold up? What was the real cause of it closing up? What about the NWA?
IP: Logged
Richard SuIlivan
Member # 1058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard SuIlivan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The AWA closed down because they were spending more money than they were making (or at least more than it was worth). They had limited talent, bad booking, lackluster television, and no fan base.

The NWA never closed down. It exists to this day.

Plowboy from WA
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plowboy from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The AWA, well, I tried my best to watch it, but sometimes it was the least compelling way to spend my time, even as a die-hard wrestling fan. There was no great wrestling available, poor storylines, and a general disinterest from the fans and wrestlers, in general.
ntrots
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ntrots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard Sullivan:

I thought the NWA became the WCW. Additionally I recall Flair buying into the NWA and carrying the rights over to WCW. Any truth?

MulkeyMania
Member # 1120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MulkeyMania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Turner bought the company he changed the name to WCW while the NWA name was carried on as an independent promotion with Dan Severn and Chris Candido being two of their earliest champions.

The reason the AWA failed is that Verne Gagne ran it into the ground until it died.

Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WCW was always called WCW. It was one of the dues-paying NWA territories.
During the 2nd half of the 1980s, these territories were splitting from the NWA one by one. So sad. Finally WCW split. There was no name change when Turner bought it.

Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and the AWA went belly-up because they didn't keep up with the times, the way the WWF did. I find this especially sad because I liked, no, LOVED that old style the AWA maintained. But that sort of thing doesn't work anymore.
Skata!!!

Richard SuIlivan
Member # 1058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard SuIlivan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ntrots:
Richard Sullivan:

I thought the NWA became the WCW. Additionally I recall Flair buying into the NWA and carrying the rights over to WCW. Any truth?

Uhhh ... we sorta covered this a time or two but hey what the heck.

Short, sleepy, gin-soaked version:

National Wrestling Alliance founded in 1948 by small group of midwestern promoters as a cooperative network of independent booking offices and promoters.

Both the Capitol Wrestling Corporation and Jim Crockett Promotions eventually join the NWA.

Capitol drops out of the NWA in 1963 and does business as the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF). They eventually rejoin the NWA. The WWWF title is revoked of its World title status and the NWA World champ is given recognition in all arena programs (although the NWA champ only appears on a few occasions in the late 70s).

The WWWF (which shortens its name to the WWF in 1979) drops out of the NWA once again when Vincent Kennedy McMahon buys out his father Vincent James McMahon.

McMahon proceeds to put promotions out of business left and right. Many sell out to Jim Crockett Promotions (JCP).

JCP eventually becomes the "last true survivor" in the war against the WWF in the U.S. and people start to think of JCP and the NWA as one and the same (even though it's still just one member promotion).

JCP is sold to Turner in late 1988. The company becomes World Championship Wrestling, Inc. and maintains its membership in the NWA.

New Japan Pro Wrestling, which had left the NWA several years earlier, rejoins the NWA.

After a court battle in 1993, WCW leaves the NWA. New Japan, which is affiliated with WCW, leaves the NWA as well.

The NWA continues, just as it was in 1948, as a cooperative network of independent booking offices and promoters.

ECW joins and leaves the NWA.

The NWA carries on.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to Flair "buying in." He owned a piece of the Knoxville NWA office in the early 80's and held the big gold belt (that Jim Crockett bought, then sold to Turner along with the rest of JCP) as hostage to get his NWA bond money back.

Jim Herd screwed him out of the money when he fired Flair. Watts gave it to him and the belt was returned. WCW and New Japan then co-sponsored a tournament in Tokyo to crown a new NWA champion.

The NWA and WCW titles were never unified.

Shattered
Member # 235

Well said as usual R.S., but can you or anybody else clear this up for me?
Did the "A" in NWA stand for ASSOCIATION before it stood for ALLIANCE?
And even more important: Doesn't the NWA have a lineage going back to Frank Gotch's World championship reign in 1905?

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The National Wrestling Association was an earlier and separate entity from, and was then absorbed by (when Thesz unified the titles), the National Wrestling Alliance.

The Alliance could (and technically still can today) trace a logically credible title lineage back to Frank Gotch.

So long from the Sunshine State!

[This message has been edited by Crimson Mask I (edited 12-30-2000).]

Zeppelin Live In Mayberry
Member # 7956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeppelin Live In Mayberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my theory. The AWA had Hulk Hogan as the next wrestler to "Take The Country By Storm" by beating Nick Bockwinkel and ushering in a new AWA champion. But Verne Gagne wasted time and completely mishandled Hulk Hogans affairs. Vince McMahon seized the opportunity and brought in the Hulkster to demolish WWF champion the Iron Sheik and the rest is history. The AWA has been kicking itself ever since then by letting this goose that laid the golden egg slip by them. Ya snooze, ya lose.

--------------------
Watch What You Say...
They'll Be Calling You A Radical.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations