WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Cheesy Commercials

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheesy Commercials
psychor
Member # 4483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psychor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every once in a while, over at KM, someone on the WWA (Bruiser)post, would want to discuss some of the commercials that would air, during wrestling programming. Promoter Bob Luce, frequently was the pitchman: i.e. "Bens Auto Sales." Bobo Brazil and Dick the Bruiser buying ribs by the 50 lb. box and beer by the case, at One Stop Food & Liquors was another example. How about some of you posters that grew up watching wrestling, in other territories have fond commercial, memories, that you would like to share with us.
IP: Logged
Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It exists on tape (I haven't seen it yet)...Gene Kiniski wrestling a mattress. I think the ad is for a place in BC called "Mattress World."

[Smile]

--------------------
I've been loved and put aside
I've been crushed by the tumbling tide

And my soul has been... psychedelicized

Portalesman
Member # 2530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portalesman         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANY commercial with a wrestler in it is cheezy.
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Locally, pro wrestling from the late 1950's to the late 1960's was sponsored on Saturday afternoon by Rink's Bargain City which was a regional group of stores that pre-dated K-Mart, etc. In the early years, wrestling took place in the larger studio and the commercials were done in the small studio of WCPO-TV, Channel 9. The two Bargain City pitchmen: Hy Ulner, better known as the "Bargain City Kid", and Willie Thall showed the items for sale during commercials between the matches. This included dropping drinking glasses on the floor to prove that the set of eight glasses you could purchase for one dollar at Bargain City stores would break if dropped on the floor.

Every once in a while, a wrestler would come into that studio while the commercial was on. Once, The Sheik came racing in yelling, "too, too". The Bargain City Kid quickly started a power mower that was there to demonstrate the ones on sale at the store. "Get back", the Kid warned The Sheik as the mower roared to life.

In later years, the wrestling portion of the show consisted of video tapes from matches taped elsewhere with the commercials done live during breaks. When there was a card scheduled for that night in town, sometimes wrestlers would appear and talk about the local matches coming up. It wasn't as good as the earlier shows when activities during the commercials sometimes rivaled the live studio matches.

Darling Fascist Bullyboy
Member # 4287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darling Fascist Bullyboy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Portalesman:
ANY commercial with a wrestler in it is cheezy.

Oh, I dunno. The spot Hogan did for Right Guard had its moments.

--------------------
If this is an Obama recovery, I'd hate to see an Obama recession!

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cincinnati Kid:
Locally, pro wrestling from the late 1950's to the late 1960's was sponsored on Saturday afternoon by Rink's Bargain City which was a regional group of stores that pre-dated K-Mart, etc. In the early years, wrestling took place in the larger studio and the commercials were done in the small studio of WCPO-TV, Channel 9. The two Bargain City pitchmen: Hy Ulner, better known as the "Bargain City Kid", and Willie Thall showed the items for sale during commercials between the matches. This included dropping drinking glasses on the floor to prove that the set of eight glasses you could purchase for one dollar at Bargain City stores would break if dropped on the floor.

Every once in a while, a wrestler would come into that studio while the commercial was on. Once, The Sheik came racing in yelling, "too, too". The Bargain City Kid quickly started a power mower that was there to demonstrate the ones on sale at the store. "Get back", the Kid warned The Sheik as the mower roared to life.

In later years, the wrestling portion of the show consisted of video tapes from matches taped elsewhere with the commercials done live during breaks. When there was a card scheduled for that night in town, sometimes wrestlers would appear and talk about the local matches coming up. It wasn't as good as the earlier shows when activities during the commercials sometimes rivaled the live studio matches.

From my PSP interview with Les Thatcher (we were contrasting Gordon Solie with other commentators):

quote:

Sure. Well, I can tell you right here in Cincinnati, there was a local chain of bargain stores, and one of the owners, Hy Ellner, the Ellner family owned the thing, Hy was, he and a local TV celebrity called ‘Willie Phall’ did the commercials for the Bargain City who sponsored wrestling, and did them live from another studio. And he always called himself ‘The Bargain City Kid’, and ’The Bargain City Kid Willie Phall’, and ’The Bargain City Kid’ wore a goofy cowboy hat, and two toy guns---backwards---and, ‘Willie Phall’ dressed up like some old country guy, like a L’il Abner sorta thing, and they would go out and say, “Boy, we’ve got all these nonbreakable dishes!” you know, “a whole set of nonbreakable Melmac dishes here at Bargain City for just fiive ninety-fiiive!” or whatever it was, and they’d start throwing the dishes and breakin’ ‘em. You know, and stuff like that. And I know, they used to have the Sheik, Eddie Farhat, would run into that studio in the middle of a commercial, and rip through the place, you know, and tear up stuff, and threaten them.

And now you were mentioning Saul and the Von Brauners, and I remember when the Von Brauners first came into the territory here in the early ‘60s, and we were doing Cincinnati TV, and they---Ellner came into the dressing room, and the Von Brauners go, “Get out,” cause, they didn’t know who he was.

“Hey! I’m the sponsor, and---”

“We don’t give a sh*t who you are, get outta here,” you know, “you’re not a wrestler.”

“Well here, I got this time here, you know, you guys have that German gimmick, and your manager, and we want you to come over there, and do this and we’ll do that and you’ll do this---”

And they basically said, “Hey, F*CK you. WE don’t do comedy, we don’t do that sh*t, we’re not clowns. We’re wrestlers. If I come over there and hit you, I‘m gonna hit you. And if you come in while I‘m in the ring, and f*ck with me, you won’t ever do it again.”

“Well, I’m the sponsor!”

“I don’t give a sh*t WHO you are.” And that was the way they stood on it.

But you’re right, that was the kind of sh*t that went on. ...

So long from the Sunshine State!
Bacchus815
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bacchus815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANY Memphis wrestling commercial is low budget, ESPECIALLY one featuring a wrestler. The worst was one with Lawler for Hub Cap Annie. Equally as bad, but not featuring any wrestlers was those for Dennis Hall's Auto Salvage. White trash rednecks rapping "Who ya gonna call, Call Dennis Hall" is unintentional comedy at its finest.
FreightTrain
Member # 5302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FreightTrain   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The American Dream Dusty Rhodes, doing a Standback Headache Powder commercial.

--------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life son" Dean Wormer Faber College

StanJohns
Member # 3247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StanJohns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Louis Albano once did audio commercials for 2 different beers while being interviewed on Boston Radio.
John Watanabe
Member # 2454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Watanabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the mid-to-late '80s, there was this forgettable TV commercial for a local Chicago area car dealership (even long-time Chicago diehards probably don't remember this one), with Dan Spivey as its on-camera spokesman.

During the first scene in this commercial, Spivey talked in a normal tone of voice, but then in the next scenes around the outdoor car lot, he talks in a more gravel-like, stereotypical rassler voice.

This local Chicago auto commercial featuring Dan Spivey (don't even remember which dealership) ends with a voiceover, done by a guy doing an obvious tongue-in-cheek imitation of Bob Luce!

(search John Watanabe at imdb.com--Internet Movie Database)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations