WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Ken Griffey Sr.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ken Griffey Sr.
john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday to him today by the way.

I have a question. Was looking over his lifetime stats. Was he injury prone or was he involved in a 4 man outfield rotation while with the Reds?

He was a 3 time all star, but only played over 150 games 2-3 times.

Very good player. Not a compiler, but easily over 2100 hits and .296 lifetime average.

[ 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: john8 ]

IP: Logged
doublenogginknocker
Member # 39765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublenogginknocker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He missed the last two months of the 1979 season with a left knee injury, but that's the only DL stint I found for him on the Reds. He was platooned in New York (and traded after expressing unhappiness about it).
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An awesome five-tools player, platooning either father or son would be the height of idiocy.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Yankees fan, he was a very fine left fielder and superb hitter in his era. The '83 Yankees with Griffey and Don Baylor came very close to making the playoffs.
Werdna
Member # 38248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Werdna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remembering being there August 31, 1990 in the Kingdome like it was yesterday and the age of 10. Still have the scorecard up in the attic.
baptistbusman
Member # 72962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baptistbusman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday. His playing career is what makes him relevant, being Jr.’s Dad isn’t what makes him great!
john8
Member # 17520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He kinda got lost in the shuffle behind Rose, Bench and Foster but was a big part of the Big Red Machine.
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by john8:

I have a question. Was looking over his lifetime stats. Was he injury prone or was he involved in a 4 man outfield rotation while with the Reds?

He was a 3 time all star, but only played over 150 games 2-3 times.

Many of the Cincinnati starters in 1975, 1976, 1977 didn't average much more than 150 games if that many. During those seasons, Reds' manager Sparky Anderson made sure many of the subs got some starts while resting those who usually started a game.
Gil Wilcox
Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at Wrigley Field when Bill Madlock won the NL Batting Championship on the last day of the season.
Ken Griffey began the Reds’ last game of the season against the Braves on the bench to protect his lead.
Madlock went 4-for-4 that day.

Griffey said, ''Anyway, before the last game, they held a meeting on me. The big boys. Sparky Anderson and Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench and Pete Rose and Tony Perez. They tried to figure out how I could win the batting championship and, when they came out, Sparky decided to sit me down for the game. I said I wanted to play, but in those days I didn't make waves. They said that Madlock always sat down, so let him win it if he was going to win it.

''We were playing Atlanta that day and, by the time we heard how Madlock was doing in his game, he was 3 for 3. So Sparky sent me up to hit for the pitcher, and I struck out. He kept me in the game, and I struck out again. I went 0 for 2, Madlock went 4 for 4 and beat me out, .338 to .336.''

john8
Member # 17520

quote:
Originally posted by Gil Wilcox:
I was at Wrigley Field when Bill Madlock won the NL Batting Championship on the last day of the season.
Ken Griffey began the Reds’ last game of the season against the Braves on the bench to protect his lead.
Madlock went 4-for-4 that day.

Griffey said, ''Anyway, before the last game, they held a meeting on me. The big boys. Sparky Anderson and Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench and Pete Rose and Tony Perez. They tried to figure out how I could win the batting championship and, when they came out, Sparky decided to sit me down for the game. I said I wanted to play, but in those days I didn't make waves. They said that Madlock always sat down, so let him win it if he was going to win it.

''We were playing Atlanta that day and, by the time we heard how Madlock was doing in his game, he was 3 for 3. So Sparky sent me up to hit for the pitcher, and I struck out. He kept me in the game, and I struck out again. I went 0 for 2, Madlock went 4 for 4 and beat me out, .338 to .336.''

Playing for Pittsburgh really hurt Madlock. He won 4 batting titles. Sorta forgotten now. If he was on the Yankees, he would have been a borderline Hall of Famer.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations