WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Paige's career is over (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Paige's career is over
Ordell
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ordell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/114747/paige-done-as-inring-performer-for-wwe-.html?p=1

2016 into 2017 was one issue after another for WWE star Paige. 2017 into 2018 was supposed to be her major comeback to WWE, her redemption. Inside the ring, sadly, that will not be the case.

In a situation described as similar to WWE Hall of Famer Adam "Edge" Copeland's medical disqualification from the ring, WWE star Paige (Saraya-Jade Bevis, 25 years old) was informed this week that she will not be cleared to return to the ring after her most recent in-ring injury, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. It is believed Paige was given the news at the Raw taping this past Monday. We have been told by multiple sources she is "done" as an in-ring wrestler.

During a six woman tag team bout on 12/28/17 at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, Long Island, Paige had her back to Sasha Banks, who was behind her against the turnbuckles. Banks used the ropes to pull herself up and kicked with both legs into Paige's back. Paige, obviously not ready for the bump, went down. She tried to get up but could not get her legs under her, finally did get up and turned to grab Banks, immediately falling down again and rolling over to her back, where she stayed. The referee checked on her and called for the bell. She was examined by WWE medical personnel and a stretcher was brought to ringside to transport her back to the locker room. After several minutes, Paige walked out under her own power.

It was believed at the time that Paige had suffered a stinger, leading to her losing feeling in her extremities. Given her previous neck surgery, WWE pulled her from the ring and set up further testing that led to this week's decision.

IP: Logged
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope she focuses on acting. She's got the chops.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

habsfan87 from NL
Member # 8038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for habsfan87 from NL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lance Storm predicted this on his podcast. I wonder if the movie based on her life is still going ahead? Sad that she loses her career at such a young age.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by habsfan87 from NL:
Lance Storm predicted this on his podcast. I wonder if the movie based on her life is still going ahead? Sad that she loses her career at such a young age.

Doubt they'd cancel it. Them thangs cost money and take up valuable time.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Ordell
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ordell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing she is done at 25 and yet Manami Toyota, who took far more punishment, got 30 years out of her career.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ordell:
Amazing she is done at 25 and yet Manami Toyota, who took far more punishment, got 30 years out of her career.

You also have to remember that many of the Japanese women companies treat their talent a lot differently that WWE currently does.

Some of this could boil down to Paige's body breaking down. Yes she is 25, but she has been taking bumps for 12 or 13 years. As I've gotten older, I've taken the stance on how dangerous it is for under-developed people taking bumps. Hell the human body was not built for adults taking bumps let alone teenagers who are still growing.

It's sad to see someone who is 25 having their active in ring career being over.

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because the WWE retires her doesn't mean she can't work elsewhere once her contract lapses.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She'd be a decent draw in the UK and obviously her family are promoters. Plus she'd able to come the to the US or Japan for occasional dates.

One thing I always wonder about when UK or other non-US talent gets cut from WWE, is are they allowed to stay in the country or are they going to have to leave at some point?

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
She'd be a decent draw in the UK and obviously her family are promoters. Plus she'd able to come the to the US or Japan for occasional dates.

One thing I always wonder about when UK or other non-US talent gets cut from WWE, is are they allowed to stay in the country or are they going to have to leave at some point?

Most likely she'd have to leave once the work visa expires. Wade Barrett had to return home to the UK several times during his WWE tenure, due to visas having expired, or about to.

[ 01-13-2018, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Steve Berberovic ]

oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Paige had her back to Sasha Banks, who was behind her against the turnbuckles. Banks used the ropes to pull herself up and kicked with both legs into Paige's back. Paige, obviously not ready for the bump, went down.
I'm not a worker, but that seems to go beyond "accidents happen" into unprofessional and careless.
davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trump's favorite Diva/female wrestler
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you knew it wasn't going to be Sasha, Naomi, Fox, or Ember.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince was right about Sasha Banks then.

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Ordell
Member # 6033

What did Vince say about Sasha?
Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Well, you knew it wasn't going to be Sasha, Naomi, Fox, or Ember.

True; I guess he would lose his pee over a 'in character' Lana.

[ 01-13-2018, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Bcleah ]

Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That she was dangerous in the ring. It's one reason why she was de-pushed early on - he feared for the safety of her and her opponents.

--------------------
I have roamed the galaxy in search of battle. Those who have crossed me have had their bodies broken and their blood spilled. Never have I looked back.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Berberovic:
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:

Most likely she'd have to leave once the work visa expires. Wade Barrett had to return home to the UK several times during his WWE tenure, due to visas having expired, or about to.
It's not hard for UK talent to get work visas. There are a TON of companies that would sponsor her. There are dozens upon dozens of active wrestlers from Mexico, Canada and the UK that come over on work visas.

Besides Paige could work for a company like Impact, Evolve or ROH that routinely get visas. And right now there are a dozen or so indies that would do it too.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Here's the moment it happened for those wondering.

Ordell
Member # 6033

You know, watching that video, I don't think it was the kick. Paige went down hard and faceplanted on the mat. I think she smacked her forehead on the mat hard and that was what did her in.

quote:
Originally posted by Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano:
quote:

That she was dangerous in the ring. It's one reason why she was de-pushed early on - he feared for the safety of her and her opponents.
Then Vince is cuplable for leaving a wrestler he considers dangerous continuing to work. He should either fire her or pull her from regular work and have her get proper training.
evensout
Member # 5985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evensout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seeing the video makes me wonder what in the hell Banks was thinking...
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that was Banks' fault, Paige wasnt prepared to get kicked. Paige got nailed legit in the back and wasnt braced for it. Perhaps a miscommunication as to when the spot was coming

Look at how hard Paige's head snaps back when she was kicked Banks should be suspended for working too stiff

--------------------
n/a

Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can see Paige couldn’t feel her hands and either wanted to keep the match going or get at Banks for kicking her. The WWE allows some real stupid moves. I have a cervical nerve injury and losing feeling like that is scary.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Paige had her back turned to Sasha, was the ref, who was staring straight at Sasha, supposed to signal her as to when the kick to the back was coming? Its easy to see that Sasha kicked her way too hard, but it seems like Paige should have been walking further forward and been signaled as to when to fall. I'm sure Sasha feels terrible about it

[ 01-13-2018, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

The movie based on the life of Paige and her family is called 'Fighting with My Family' is supposedly completed and in post-production. The exec producer is Dwayne Johnson who also plays himself in the movie, which also features Vince Vaughn as the down and out former star wrestler who helps Paige's family in England. That being Jake the Snake Roberts.

Somehow I think Dwayne Johnson probably has the stroke to get the film released later in the year regardless of the current circumstances. Maybe Vaughn gets best supporting actor talk if he's good as the faded Jake the Snake

--------------------
n/a

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

quote:
You know, watching that video, I don't think it was the kick. Paige went down hard and faceplanted on the mat. I think she smacked her forehead on the mat hard and that was what did her in.

No it was definitely the kick. Look at how her neck/back whiplashed.
Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:

No it was definitely the kick. Look at how her neck/back whiplashed.
Even if it was just Paige hitting the mat it's not like that was going to happen without the kick from Sasha.

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a listen to the Lance Storm and Cyrus podcast. Interesting discussion on the mishap.

https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Great-Abyss-Interview

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

Educated Mark
Member # 4546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Educated Mark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you watch Sasha curl up before she lets the kick loose she is building up enough power to level someone who is braced standing in front of her and sees the kick coming. Kicking her in the back that hard, especially knowing she just recovered from a neck injury, is so reckless it’s disgusting.

There was no way to protect herself and it was a stupid spot.

--------------------
"You want excitement? Go down to the NAACP and ask for the white washroom." - Dick Gregory

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

I tend to side with Cyrus on this. It's a spot that shouldn't be done.

There are moves that are common now that are dangerous in that they are not allowing the talent to take their own bumps off of. It's funny in the condensed clip of the audio I listened to on youtube. It had a photo of Sasha hitting Paige with a backstabber. That move is very dangerous, not only for the person "taking" the move, but for the person giving it. In the photo you can clearly see Sasha will be landing on the small of her back, which is a no-no.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

There are moves that are common now that are dangerous in that they are not allowing the talent to take their own bumps off of. It's funny in the condensed clip of the audio I listened to on youtube. It had a photo of Sasha hitting Paige with a backstabber. That move is very dangerous, not only for the person "taking" the move, but for the person giving it. In the photo you can clearly see Sasha will be landing on the small of her back, which is a no-no.

Funny thing is, the backstabber isn't even that impressive looking in my opinion. It's like a lot of those weird piledriver variations that people started coming up with to "improve upon" the standard traditional piledriver. Not only were they more dangerous (like that goofy thing Owen Hart nearly killed Austin with), they weren't as impressive-looking as the original. So many safe (but visually "killer") moves that are now used as transitions that should've been protected.

[ 01-14-2018, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Then Vince is cuplable for leaving a wrestler he considers dangerous continuing to work. He should either fire her or pull her from regular work and have her get proper training.

If Paige sued, his words could come back to haunt him. Let's see how well they take care of her and keep her in the family.

--------------------

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Paige cannot sue the WWE She and all other wrestlers who perform there are "independent contractors" They are not employees and their contracts specifically say all risks taken are theirs

--------------------
n/a

Kilroy
Member # 53

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kilroy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Knight:
Paige cannot sue the WWE She and all other wrestlers who perform there are "independent contractors" They are not employees and their contracts specifically say all risks taken are theirs

Lmao, yeah, ok...
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:

Oh, I guess that's why Daniel Bryan wrestles for Impact and CMLL on his days off. Because he's an independent contractor.

And that's why WWE doesn't force the wrestlers to take drug tests. Because they're independent contractors.

And why they would never try to enforce a 90-day no-compete close. Since those are pretty much illegal and unenforceable, especially since they're independent contractors.

Also, they just loaded 100 hours of JCP wrestling from 1982. All the talent on those shows worked for free in exchange for a percentage of the gate. The "gate" is no longer 7 or 8 house shows that week in the Carolinas and Virginia, it's now the WWE Network for $9.99 a month. I'm 100% certain that as JCP/WCW's "assign," Vince is fulfilling the original independent contractor deals and is sending guys like Bill White, Wally Kernodle, and Stan Hansen their agreed-upon percentage of the gate.

--------------------

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

quote:

HAHAHAHA. I guess those dozens and dozens of other wrestlers who have sued, or are currently sueing WWE don't count right?

Hell go watch an episode of People's Court or Judge Judy. Seems every show I've ever seen revolves around one independent contractor sueing someone that hired them.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:

Funny thing is, the backstabber isn't even that impressive looking in my opinion. It's like a lot of those weird piledriver variations that people started coming up with to "improve upon" the standard traditional piledriver. Not only were they more dangerous (like that goofy thing Owen Hart nearly killed Austin with), they weren't as impressive-looking as the original. So many safe (but visually "killer") moves that are now used as transitions that should've been protected.
I agree. Actually I'm not a fan of moves like the back-stabber, or Jericho's Code-Breaker. Just silly looking for the person giving the move to bump like they are.
Another move I do not like, and can and will lead to some injuries is the one where the have a guy up in a suplex and bring the person down on their knee while kneeling. It's pretty popular move in Japan, but not worth the potential risk.

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Doesnt change the fact that the WWE specifies in their deals that they are independent contractors sure many try to sue but few get anywhere. They are not employees of the company, they pay for their oen health insurance unlike vinces secretary

--------------------
n/a

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Doesnt change the fact that the WWE specifies in their deals that they are independent contractors sure many try to sue but few get anywhere. They are not employees of the company, they pay for their oen health insurance unlike vinces secretary

Vince also tells commissions they're entertainment and tells acing unions they're athletes. He lies whenever the need suits him.

Trust me, Brock Lesnar beat his b*ullshit contract. Brock's lawyers went in the back with Vince's lawyers and told them they were challenging the indie contractor status and Vince let Brock out of his deal to go to the NFL. Brock's the only one who didn't have Stockholm Syndrome and called Vince on his little bullsh*it cult.

--------------------

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Brock didn't sue to get out of his WWE deal to go to the Vikings. Vince let him go. But he had to sue after he was cut from the Vikings and wanted to do MMA. Because the agreement was a non-compete clause that prevented Brock from appearing on any wrestling or ring related tv show in North America. Which meant he couldn't do MMA for UFC. So he sued. And it seems like they settled, because Vince didn't want to take the chance on losing

--------------------
n/a

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Brock sued because they attempted to hold a non-compete clause for some ridiculous length of time.

The bottom line is, weather you're an independent contractor or not a lawsuit could be filed. And your argument about them being independent contractors and having to pay their on health insurance is half true. For related injuries the company takes care of those bills.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations