WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Booking Demolition 1990 and beyond

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Booking Demolition 1990 and beyond
Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listening to the JR podcast with them. Seem like such good guys and true pros. They talk about something which I have thought for years, that their run had a lot of life left in it and it was killed prematurely. McMahon brought in the LOD, while the Demos were still amazingly popular. They were coming off their victory over Andre and Haku at WM VI, where they regained the tag titles and got a hug pop from the crowd. Fans were still into them, but Ax got ill for a short while, they brought in Crush to water down the team. They changed the popular theme music to something way more bland. Turned them heel. Made them wear those goofy gimp masks. Eventually they jobbed them out to LOD.

I think Vince shot himself in the foot with this. Both Bill Eadie and Barry Darsow think they should have been kept away from LOD for 1 year and have the feud built up. I would have kept teams as baby face and let the fans decide. I think they were a more sustainable option for the WWF than the LOD, especially Michael Hegstrand who was volatile, and during the time of the steroid controversy.

I personally believe Demolition Ax and Smash could have lasted until 1993, with the feud with LOD beginning around the Summer of 1991 and lasting another year, followed by feuds with teams like the Nasty Boys, Natural Disasters, Samoans and Steiners.

IP: Logged
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Eadie is the consummate professional. One of the nicest men I have ever been around in the business. Though he never booked that I know of, I think he would have been a good one. Great psychology. FWIW, my favorite role for him to this day is The Masked Superstar. But I agree with your assessment, their run ended too soon.

[ 05-15-2017, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: The Coach ]

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never understood why Vince McMahon jobbed Demolition out once he had the LOD in his promotion. Demolition was his creation, the LOD was not, it kind of goes against everything he seems to believe in. It'd be like him jobbing out Hogan to Flair in 1991/92, or Austin. Rock etc to the WCW guys in the Invasion angle.
brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
Bill Eadie is the consummate professional. One of the nicest men I have ever been around in the business. Though he never booked that I know of, I think he would have been a good one. Great psychology. FWIW, my favorite role for him to this day is The Masked Superstar. But I agree with your assessment, their run ended too soon.

I believe he booked for a little while in the GWF and may have come up with the Handsome Stranger gimmick for Bagwell.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
I never understood why Vince McMahon jobbed Demolition out once he had the LOD in his promotion. Demolition was his creation, the LOD was not, it kind of goes against everything he seems to believe in.

Perhaps, when he was a young Vince, he asked Santa for some G.I. Joes for Christmas and instead got a set of Enlisted Fred figures. Vince thought "Eh, close enough I guess" and played with the Enlisted Fred figures and told his friends that they were the best action figures you could possibly have and much better than G.I. Joe.

Years later, Vince got his set of G.I. Joes and looked at his Enlisted Fred men and said "Screw these guys, I've got the real thing now!!" and made Fred the G.I. Joes whipping boys.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

brawler2711
Member # 26849

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations