WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Most underated big star ever (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Most underated big star ever
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Williamson:
Hulk Hogan.

I just spat my coffee when I read that....

C'mon how he is underrated, the guy was the epitome of lazy and talentless for 30 years.

[ 04-18-2017, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Grobbit ]

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

IP: Logged
NJRob65
Member # 8265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJRob65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luther Lindsay/Lindsey
John Williamson
Member # 127199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
quote:
Hulk Hogan.

C'mon how he is underrated, the guy was the epitome of lazy and talentless for 30 years.

The clue is in your comment about him being 'talentless'.
mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hogan isn't underrated in my mind, but I also completely disagree with the talentless part of Grobbit's description as well.

Lazy? Not sure he needed to do more so you could argue that was "smart" not "lazy."

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

2ndgenpromoter
Member # 128522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ndgenpromoter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader in the WWF

--------------------
Mid South Wrestling the best wrestling on the planet.

Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of things to say about Hogan, but lazy???

He might not have beat himself up in the ring for thirty minutes like Dynamite Kid, but look at the schedule he kept during the expansion period. Hard pressed to find a guy who cut a schedule like him from '84-'88.

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a guy isn't having 5 star classics, he's lazy in the ring is kind of how I read it. I don't agree with that, but that's how I took it.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Jtmcgee
Member # 125720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jtmcgee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to agree with Mr Traveller-Hutton.I know the doj case
Was happening,but it just kills me that nobody in the alliance
Really promoted him at all.Even Lou in an interview showed
Obvous disgust,shaking his head and saying "they did a bad
Job promoting him,what a shame because nobody at the time
Could've beat him" I think this happened(to a lesser degree)
With O'Conner. Rogers everybody knew,and of course Lou
Again in 63.Just seems(imo) the NWA wasn't the same after
The consent degree.Everbody knows Thesz and Gagne-yet
Hutton defeated Gagne in amature(college) and he's always
Like "oh yeah-him" I just shake my head in amazement

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:
We have to remember that George Gulas had a really big run. He qualifies.

This is asking for most UNDER rated not most overrated

[ 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Masked Knight   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
quote:
Hulk Hogan.

Talentless? One of the biggest draws in the history of the business?!?!

And you cant develop a physique like his, steroids or not, if you were lazy

[ 12-29-2017, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

BaltimoreBullet2
Member # 128675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BaltimoreBullet2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Verne Gagne takes a lot of heat for the AWAs dying days. People seem to forget what an amazing in ring worker he was. I would put him right under Lou Thesz as one of the best ever.

--------------------
If Donald Trump was The answer, it must have been a REALLY stupid question.

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

For some old school fans, "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels.

Because any number of the older guys couldn't stand him, and because of Montreal, some won't put Shawn in the top ten all time when he's really in the top five or maybe the top three. Great plus they think you are a jerk, a pure performer who couldn't really defend himself and represents/personifies all that is bad in wrestling= you end up underrated

[ 12-29-2017, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

Texaninwny
Member # 128790

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Texaninwny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Orton Jr. is a good choice.

Here's one...

Adrian Adonis.

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the age of the intrawebs, the whole underrated/overrated thing is cyclical. Guys go from being underrated to overrated to back to being underrated simply because the mob likes to Rotten Tomato everything.

[ 12-30-2017, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was definitely Marty Jannety, but Wolverine beat me to it, last April! (I missed this thread.)
He was as GREAT as it gets. 🤼‍♂️ Man, what a friggen performer!!! 🥇
Yup, he's got my vote! 🏆

--------------------
Mookie Wilson would've been safe anyway!

Jarvis88
Member # 124986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarvis88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Longson.
The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

quote:
Originally posted by MrWrestlingIIForever:
Ronnie Garvin. Could tie you up, scientifically wrestle or brawl, and seemed like a legit tough guy. One bad booking decision in Crockettland in 1987, and he's considered a punchline.

Ronnie Garvin is the Bill Buckner of wrestling

--------------------
n/a

The Masked Knight
Member # 128835

Sting hes a punchline to fans up north because he spent his career mostly in WCW Vince McMahon said HE made Sting a star by bringing him in to WWE for his comeback

If he had gotten Sting in WWF around 1990 he would have been huge

[ 12-31-2017, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: The Masked Knight ]

--------------------
n/a

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrian Adonis
MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Knight:
quote:
Ronnie Garvin. Could tie you up, scientifically wrestle or brawl, and seemed like a legit tough guy. One bad booking decision in Crockettland in 1987, and he's considered a punchline.

That analogy is perfect.
Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you define big star? How does one define underrated and by whom? The promotion or the fans or both?

Big star to me is anyone who has bee a main event player. I'm going to say Kurt Angle. This guy was the real total package of wrestling. The look, the skills, the persona, the connection with the fans. He was in the main event and won the belt, but I thought he could have been even more. I believe that he could have been the face of WWE for many years and gone onto movie role himself.

Zealot
Member # 128910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zealot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty Rhodes gets made fun of for his booking and inserting himself into every angle of the mid 80s on (for very good reason), but I think it clouds people memories of how good he was in the ring and on the mic in the 70s and early 80s.
Jarvis88
Member # 124986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarvis88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie Ladd
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Knight:
quote:

That analogy is perfect.
It is because people forget what a terrific player Bill Buckner was. He played that infamous game bandaged up like a mummy from all the nagging injuries of the season. Some people would say he had no business suiting up, but who else did they have?

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

MrWrestlingIIForever
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrWrestlingIIForever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is because people forget what a terrific player Bill Buckner was. He played that infamous game bandaged up like a mummy from all the nagging injuries of the season. Some people would say he had no business suiting up, but who else did they have?
Buckner was among the top of his day - but it took one mistake to wipe it all out. In Garvin's case, it wasn't even his error, just how he got booked. Had he won the strap 10 years earlier from Brisco, he'd be remembered in a different light.
Robot Monster
Member # 41971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robot Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go for a high-risk maneuver here and say the Ultimate Warrior.

To be underrated, he doesn't actually have to be "good." He just has to be better than the popular perception of his work.

So if the guy was at least competent enough to have passable matches under highly controlled circumstances (working with someone like Savage or even Hogan, or having Patterson lay the whole thing out), but he's near-universally reviled as the worst ever...then I'd say that he's underrated.

In terms of 1) how big a star he was, 2) how people talk about him, and 3) the best work that he could produce, I'd go with Warrior.

[ 01-01-2018, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Robot Monster ]

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Buckner was among the top of his day - but it took one mistake to wipe it all out. In Garvin's case, it wasn't even his error, just how he got booked. Had he won the strap 10 years earlier from Brisco, he'd be remembered in a different light.
Put me in the camp of those that wished Garvin would have had at least six months with the strap if not longer. Ronnie Garvin was a joy to watch.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Golem
Member # 21242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Golem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
As far as Hutton, who knows? There's no film. There's like Yohe and 17 other living people who ever saw him.

I saw him on TV at the Olympic over a half century ago. Does that count? [Big Grin]

They had him wrestling in Levi's as Cowboy Dick Hutton.

elguapo1000%
Member # 4978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elguapo1000%     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bret Hart. He was a national hero in Canada!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations