WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Daniel Bryan's Career in Vince's Hands?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daniel Bryan's Career in Vince's Hands?
wheel23
Member # 5514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheel23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/1/28/10859390/decision-on-daniel-bryan-reportedly-in-vince-mcmahons-hands

This is a tough situation for WWE they have to look at the legal issues of letting Bryan comeback and what happens if he gets hurt again and does some kind permanent neck damage.

With all the concussion lawsuits now I just don't see them clearing him to return.

I have said for awhile now that I believe Bryan's worked his last match for WWE.

IP: Logged
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if Vince let DB come back and told him no more dropkicks, no more high flying, you just punch and kick now, I still think it would be too risky for him.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

Widow Maker
Member # 44188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widow Maker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Even if Vince let DB come back and told him no more dropkicks, no more high flying, you just punch and kick now, I still think it would be too risky for him.

Not to mention that his in ring appeal and marketability would diminish. Rather see him as a star that shone brightly, albeit for a short period, than someone whose ring work is limited, sending him to the mid card and gets phase out and forgotten. I do think he would make an excellent ambassador for the company/industry.
PartsUnknown77 From ND
Member # 8970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PartsUnknown77 From ND     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never understood the mass appeal of DB. I get the underdog thing and all that, but seriously, as a main event star was about the level of Rey Mysterio holding the belt. Not all that believable at that size.

--------------------
"I live in a big house, on the big side of town" -Ric Flair

wheel23
Member # 5514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wheel23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Widow Maker:
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:

Not to mention that his in ring appeal and marketability would diminish. Rather see him as a star that shone brightly, albeit for a short period, than someone whose ring work is limited, sending him to the mid card and gets phase out and forgotten. I do think he would make an excellent ambassador for the company/industry.
Bryan's said he won't change his style until unless it physical hurts him to perform a certain move.

They have from what I've read offered him backstage positions and I believe he was even offered a trainer position for NXT and turned them down.

CJ in Savannah
Member # 26303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ in Savannah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having had a neck injury in the past, they're nothing to screw with and Bryan can't risk another injury that means stop the diving headbutt (why WWE hasn't banned that move is beyond me) and the dropkick from the top where he lands on the back of his head and I applaud WWE for not letting him wrestle it would be almost negligence on their part if they let this guy wrestle knowing one bad bump could permanently injure him. Contrary to what some people may think, WWE is concerned about the guy's long term health not because they're afraid of him killing Roman Reigns heat (WWE's doing a good job of that themselves)

Even if he does come back, guess what they're not pushing him to the top of the card because of his injury liability, he'll be wasted away in midcard hell. Best to remember him when he was on top even if it was tragically cut short.

--------------------
I hope my next relationship lasts longer than Taylor Swift's next 10.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a wrestler some of you know of named Red Bastien. Big flyer. Got hurt in a car wreck. Adjusted his style and was no worse of a worker and went on many more years. BD should look at him.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of odd every other doctor clears him except the WWE one.
Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a feeling giving Bryan the IC belt at WM 31 was a way of sending him out somewhat on top. I mean, it made Bryan a Grand Slam champ holding every belt the company has right now.

Even if someone talks Vince or whoever into letting Bryan back on the road I don't see them trusting him in a top spot again, whether he drastically changes his style or not.

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more about how Vince and the WWE will be viewed rather than them looking out for his best interests. It would look bad from a shareholder and sponsor standpoint and the WWE doesn't want to be scrutinized like that knowing that if he gets hurt again they allowed him to return. The WWE doctor will never sign off on him regardless of how many other doctors say he's fine.
Age Of Q DMS NYC
Member # 6038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Age Of Q DMS NYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DB seems like a smart guy. He knows what risks lie ahead. I think they have to put a certain amount of trust in him that he will adjust his style.
Otherwise, Vince just needs to release the guy and let him work elsewhere.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel Bryan and Rey Mysterio are different than other small wrestlers. Their appeal goes beyond being the underdog. They both have very unique charisma that allows them to get over anywhere, and they could get over in any era. They are both THAT good.

Go back to different eras, guys like Pepper Gomez and Edouard Carpentier were both really small guys. But had that untrainable charisma that allowed them to get over. Plus like Bryan and Mysterio they both had FIRE!

Daniel Bryan could come back and limit himself to just punching and kicking and few would notice. He's that good where he could cut out every high risk move and still be as over and have great matches.

Selfishly I would love to see Daniel Bryan wrestle again. But look WWE has a current lawsuit over their heads about concussions from former wrestlers. I have not seen anyone talk about this but this a MAJOR reason why Vince is been hesitant on pulling the trigger with Bryan.

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing just what I know about this guy, I would never, ever clear him to return to the ring. It has malpractice lawsuit written all over it, no matter what kind of waivers are signed. That may be his biggest issue. The docs may be hesitant on this. I know I would be.
CJ in Savannah
Member # 26303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ in Savannah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
Daniel Bryan and Rey Mysterio are different than other small wrestlers. Their appeal goes beyond being the underdog. They both have very unique charisma that allows them to get over anywhere, and they could get over in any era. They are both THAT good.

Go back to different eras, guys like Pepper Gomez and Edouard Carpentier were both really small guys. But had that untrainable charisma that allowed them to get over. Plus like Bryan and Mysterio they both had FIRE!

Daniel Bryan could come back and limit himself to just punching and kicking and few would notice. He's that good where he could cut out every high risk move and still be as over and have great matches.

Selfishly I would love to see Daniel Bryan wrestle again. But look WWE has a current lawsuit over their heads about concussions from former wrestlers. I have not seen anyone talk about this but this a MAJOR reason why Vince is been hesitant on pulling the trigger with Bryan.

Who are the wrestlers that are suing them?

[ 01-28-2016, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: CJ in Savannah ]

--------------------
I hope my next relationship lasts longer than Taylor Swift's next 10.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fake J.D. McKay:
Knowing just what I know about this guy, I would never, ever clear him to return to the ring. It has malpractice lawsuit written all over it, no matter what kind of waivers are signed. That may be his biggest issue. The docs may be hesitant on this. I know I would be.

the docs may be hesitant because the lawyers. I doubt they have any independent authority to clear DB without running it by Vince and the lawyers.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CJ in Savannah:
quote:

Who are the wrestlers that are suing them?
Numerous wrestlers including the family of Matt Borne, family of Mable, Big Vito, Billy Jack Haynes and others.

Unlike in other cases they have picked up some steam and there is now precedent set.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't see how guys like Haynes or Borne or Big Vito can sue the WWE without specific evidence that they were knowingly put in the ring with concussions. All three worked for other promotions far more than WWF. There has to be a smoking gun here. In the case of Mabel, at least the majority of his career was in WWF, similar to the NFL concussion lawsuit.

Out of curiousity, is there any evidence that the WWF was ignoring concussion protocol or had the knowledge of concussions that the NFL allegedly did? That's the smoking gun for the NFL. If it can't be proven that the WWF had any knowledge thatwrestling was causing concussions or head trauma or that they were ignoring commonly known research (as opposed to the NFL or had their own in house and NOT public information long before they acted upon it), then I just don't see anything there from any lawsuit for guys that worked before the new millenium.

Rudeboy13668
Member # 10221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudeboy13668     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we will see Daniel Bryan wrestle again. When his WWE contract is up. And couldn't he get his current contract voided if WWE doesn't let him wrestle. How can an independent contractor make any money if WWE won't use him, although I'm sure he has a good downside to his contract.
wheel23
Member # 5514

quote:
Originally posted by Rudeboy13668:
I think we will see Daniel Bryan wrestle again. When his WWE contract is up. And couldn't he get his current contract voided if WWE doesn't let him wrestle. How can an independent contractor make any money if WWE won't use him, although I'm sure he has a good downside to his contract.

I think WWE will do what they did with Mysterio and claim Bryan's contract is frozen due to injury so they can claim he's still under contract for another year or so.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be off, but have generally gotten the impression that Daniel Bryan is doctor shopping to get the opinion he wants to hear, that he can continue his career. We've heard of the many doctors, apart from the WWE's, that have said he's good to go, but has he met with any that said he should not continue? For that matter have any of the doctors who've said he could continue also said that he still shouldn't?

[ 01-29-2016, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: tamalie from MN ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

quote:
Originally posted by Rudeboy13668:

They are paying him his downside guarantee plus royalties which pays him more than any other company could afford to pay him (cept TNA but their not interested in making money).
Bnicholas
Member # 23863

But, no matter what your opinion of whether he should wrestle again or not (and really we aren't doctors so we really shouldn't have one), WWE forbidding him from wrestling shows how silly this "independent contractor" nonsense is.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Not at all. They agreed on a term for a contract and they are keeping him employed, I've read the contracts and they do not guarantee him that he will actually wrestle.

They have the right to put him on television or use him in promotional venues. And as long as they pay him his downside, and royalties they are not breaking their contract.

They also have the right to decide if they want to put their company at the risk of a potential lawsuit by having a contracted piece of talent to perform.

Daniel Bryan has the right to give his notice and leave the company. He has not exercised that right yet.

As for evidence that WWE knew of head related injuries but pretty much forced a wrestler to perform. We've heard dozens of stories about wrestlers continuing to perform after being concussed. Now here's the kicker, even if they wanted to perform. WWE can be at fault for letting them perform.

Heck there was even a case in the past 12 months where it was assumed one of their performers competed without proper medical clearance.

You can't tell me in 1998 when Mick Foley came off the cage and was knocked unconscious while their medical personal was checking on him. And allowed him to continue wrestling not only that match, but coming back out later on the same show.

Kurt Angle was legitimately knocked out during a match to the point he didn't know where he was and WWE officials allowed him to continue.

Gil Wilcox
Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the best to DB!

I saw him wrestle many times in Chicago Ridge, IL for ROH.

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

quote:
Not at all. They agreed on a term for a contract and they are keeping him employed, I've read the contracts and they do not guarantee him that he will actually wrestle.

They have the right to put him on television or use him in promotional venues. And as long as they pay him his downside, and royalties they are not breaking their contract.

They also have the right to decide if they want to put their company at the risk of a potential lawsuit by having a contracted piece of talent to perform.

Daniel Bryan has the right to give his notice and leave the company. He has not exercised that right yet.

As for evidence that WWE knew of head related injuries but pretty much forced a wrestler to perform. We've heard dozens of stories about wrestlers continuing to perform after being concussed. Now here's the kicker, even if they wanted to perform. WWE can be at fault for letting them perform.

Heck there was even a case in the past 12 months where it was assumed one of their performers competed without proper medical clearance.

You can't tell me in 1998 when Mick Foley came off the cage and was knocked unconscious while their medical personal was checking on him. And allowed him to continue wrestling not only that match, but coming back out later on the same show.

Kurt Angle was legitimately knocked out during a match to the point he didn't know where he was and WWE officials allowed him to continue.

fair enough on the contract thing. We'll save the rest of the "independent contractor" thing for another thread and another day.

As for the concussion argument, late 90s is iffy. I get what you are saying about Foley in partcicular, but you had the same thing going on in football, hockey, etc. It just seems it wasn't known like it is now. I strongly doubt WWE had teams of doctors looking into concussion research and issues in the late 90s like the NFL was doing. I strongly doubt WWE was even keeping up with research in medical journals. Now whether they should be liable at that point is for lawyers and judges to argue and decide, but I wouldn't think they should be. But again specific incidences would need to be argued, not some overaching argument with a guy like Foley, who obviously had plenty of non-WWF concussions.

As for Borne, Big Vito and Haynes, I reiterate they have no leg to stand on. They both predated much medical data that concussions were a big deal and I doubt they even ever got diagnosed for one in WWF. And the real issue is they spent way too much time outside of WWF compared to wrestling for the WWF.

David meltzer
Member # 2690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David meltzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one correction.

He did give notice and was told he did not have the right to give notice.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ain't it great beening an independent contractor for RassleCorpMurka?

--------------------

RedRiver Kanyon
Member # 4115

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedRiver Kanyon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This whole thing is eerily reminiscent of the Reggie Lewis saga in Boston. In short, Celtics assembled a dream team of cardiologists to examine Reggie after he suddenly collapased in a game. Their unanimous opinion was that Reggie had a heart defect that they could cure and he would lead a normal life... he just could not ever play basketball again. Well, not what Reggie wanted to hear, he went out and found his own Dr. that said that he could play again with proper medication. Reggie went with that opinion, what he didn't know was that the Celtics were never going to allow him to play again for them..regardless of what Reggie's Dr. said. A short time later, Reggie was shooting hoops on his own and collapsed and died.
PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't this be a potential lawsuit as well if DB wanted to go that route?

quote:
Originally posted by David meltzer:
Just one correction.

He did give notice and was told he did not have the right to give notice.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Would certainly think so.

--------------------

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

While I've not seen Daniels contract I have seen some that have "windows" when they can give their notice, in something that does not make any sense to me.

Not sure if he is interested in suing a company where his sister and sister-in-law and soon to be step father-in-law works.

I just hope he doesn't start working the indies, where he could potentially make some huge money short term. But decides he needs to step up his game to compete with some of the crazy bumps being taken. As some of the things he did on the indie scene is what put him in the position he's in now.

Sed76
Member # 6884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sed76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he just has to get back in the ring and WWE knows they have no plans to let him do so they should just release him. Not like if he goes to TNA or ROH it's suddenly going to put them on WWE's level. If it were me I'd be happy to be a trainer or coach in NXT and make a good living while continuing to be healthy. But best of luck in whatever he chooses to do.
oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:
If he just has to get back in the ring and WWE knows they have no plans to let him do so they should just release him. Not like if he goes to TNA or ROH it's suddenly going to put them on WWE's level. If it were me I'd be happy to be a trainer or coach in NXT and make a good living while continuing to be healthy. But best of luck in whatever he chooses to do.

The only scenario I can think of is that the medical reports they've seen and give weight to indicate that he's not just at an increased risk of being seriously injured if he wrestles again but an almost certain risk.

He's still a pretty high profile guy. If he's injured in the ring, it's going to be news. And no matter where he's working, the stories are all going to mention the WWE. That may be a PR nightmare they don't want to have to handle.

wheel23
Member # 5514

quote:
Originally posted by Sed76:

They won't release him because of Total Divas has long as that show is on they won't let him go.
Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even with the money he's being paid on the sideline he has to be going crazy. He has plenty of money and a hot wife but being able to be out there drives him. It's all he's ever done and knows. He'll be back in the ring somewhere like ROH or NJ.
oblongo
Member # 2502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oblongo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan has admitted hiding seizures from the WWE. If I understood his interview correctly, he was hiding them from his doctors as well.

Before he made his announcement, some fans were really ragging on the WWE. But they certainly made the right decision.

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shropshire Slasher:
The WWE doctor will never sign off on him regardless of how many other doctors say he's fine.

Thank God for that

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations