WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Abdullah or Kamala, who is the greatest of these monster heels? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Abdullah or Kamala, who is the greatest of these monster heels?
von erich mark
Member # 121391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von erich mark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say Kamala for him being pushed as a major #1 monster in every territory that I saw him work in. Major run in the WWF against Hogan, Mid-South, Memphis, feuded with Kerry Von Erich in WCCW and I believe a major push in the AWA.
IP: Logged
Mark Nulty from WA
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Nulty from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdullah - far more longevity and depth of opponents.
Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No contest. Abby. Like his style or not, he was around on top or a special attraction for MANY more years than Kamala.
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdullah has a better career and was scarier...but Kamala could move and provide better matches.
BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdullah

dude got years out of his career with that gimmick.

He was so good at that gimmick.

Kamala was tremendous though in WCCW. I'm watching his run now with his feud with Kerry.

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abby. He stayed in areas for a very short time so he kept that allure of being a scary dude you didn't want to mess with. Once Kamala went to the WWF he became a cartoon character, big but wasn't made to be a really dangerous guy.
CJ in Savannah
Member # 26303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ in Savannah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shropshire Slasher:
Abby. He stayed in areas for a very short time so he kept that allure of being a scary dude you didn't want to mess with. Once Kamala went to the WWF he became a cartoon character, big but wasn't made to be a really dangerous guy.

Ah, beat me to it, pretty much my sentiments.

--------------------
I hope my next relationship lasts longer than Taylor Swift's next 10.

von erich mark
Member # 121391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von erich mark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the Abby views and like both of them. I was more exposed to Kamala and he seemed more like an athletic and natural wrestler.
von erich mark
Member # 121391

Did Abby and Kamala ever have a series of matches or special attraction matches anywhere?
Mr. Piggy
Member # 45675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Piggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kamala for me. To me he was the prototypical monster. As a kid Kamala as scary as it got. I could imagine him eating fresh game raw that he killed with his spear. Abby while scary seemed more like a hardcore wrestler with his foreign objects. Scary but it just seemed like he was there for employment.
Merchant in VA
Member # 6159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merchant in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a soft spot for Kamala, but I've got to go with Abdullah. He seemed more credible and had a legit chance to beat anyone. Good elbow drop too. As much as I loved Kamala's look and his acrobatics, I never thought he had a chance to win any of those big matches. The tougher call is Kamala's mask and body paint vs Abby's hijab and pointed boots.

--------------------
"If brains were gasoline, you couldn't propel a flea's motorcycle around a raindrop." - Jim Cornette

Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CJ in Savannah:
quote:
Originally posted by Shropshire Slasher:

Ah, beat me to it, pretty much my sentiments.
Agreed. Never saw Abdullah being taught to bowl and even when he was part of Captain Mike's "crew" in WCW, he still came across as just out-and-out scary.
Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both were very much a change the channel moment for me, especially Abby, just a fat dude who stabbed people with things. Not entertaining in the slightest.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merchant in VA:
The tougher call is Kamala's mask and body paint vs Abby's hijab and pointed boots.

Abby didn't wear a hijab; that was a keffiyeh.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:
Both were very much a change the channel moment for me, especially Abby, just a fat dude who stabbed people with things. Not entertaining in the slightest.

By the 1980s, yeah.

But if you had seen him in the late 60s and ealry 70s, it was a very different thing. My first sight of Abby was in the NWF circa 1972, and he was fast and agile, and could throw out a high side kick from nowhere that looked devistating. And yeah, an elbow drop that looked like a guillotine, given the height he got on it. But by around 1978, the pounds started packing on, and the over-reliance on foreign objects had changed the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I'll take Abby -- espeically the early period Butcher -- over nearly anyone as a "monster heel".

As to Kamala....I think there's a reason or six why he didn't get a spot in Greg & Steve's "Heels" book.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both were amazing.

Abdullah was terrifyng when I first saw him in International Wrestling from Montreal....such a cool character.

daragaki
Member # 5806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daragaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdullah for me..

ALOHA FROM HAWAII

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Butcher no contest.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Kamala was great but when the heels needed a monster to make a surprise appearance to destroy someone it's the Butcher

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abdullah for being a major star in Japan.--Yohe
Squishy
Member # 124871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kamala is super entertaining. One of the best workers of all time. Abdullah is strangely amusing, and his finisher is one of the best ever.

Kamala is more fun for me so... Kamala. He was on character 100% and took any situation; wether he was the underdog against a bigger deal like Yokozuma, face "trying to be a man" or monster heel, he played everything perfectly and knew how to work. Everything he does looks super-satisfying. I love the jumping chops and mule kicks.

[ 12-14-2015, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Squishy ]

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not even close, Hoss. Abby hands down.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Laditow Bosqueeps Albano
Member # 5722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laditow Bosqueeps Albano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously Abdullah had the better career, but I much preferred Kamala from WCCW and his early WWF runs.

--------------------
"The three of us (should) end the album with a duet."
-Jesse Ventura, The Wrestling Album

Grobbit
Member # 80932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grobbit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Travlr:
quote:
Originally posted by Grobbit:

By the 1980s, yeah.

But if you had seen him in the late 60s and ealry 70s, it was a very different thing. My first sight of Abby was in the NWF circa 1972, and he was fast and agile, and could throw out a high side kick from nowhere that looked devistating. And yeah, an elbow drop that looked like a guillotine, given the height he got on it. But by around 1978, the pounds started packing on, and the over-reliance on foreign objects had changed the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I'll take Abby -- espeically the early period Butcher -- over nearly anyone as a "monster heel".

As to Kamala....I think there's a reason or six why he didn't get a spot in Greg & Steve's "Heels" book.

Interesting about Abby. I don't think I've seen anything earlier than very late 70s AJPW.

--------------------
"If I hit him with the left hand and he's still standing, I will walk around him to see whats holding him up." - Harley Race

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Abby for choosing to basically freelance his career (except for his start) and having a high enough market value that he could always be somewhere working. But I want to give Kamala props for being much better in his peak youtubes than I realized he was. And hold that against how Abby let his character go from a brutal madman to a brutally dull immobile and un-entertaining special attraction, IMO, and Kamala, even though you never believed he was from anywhere other than somewhere in the southern U.S. and could easily picture him in a pair of overalls at home, gets a bunch of passes from me. Whereas Abby I'm kind of harsh on. But I can't deny Abby was the "greater monster" in his peak. And even though he followed it with an eternity of unwatchable dreck, his good years were more than just a few.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as monster heels, Dump Matsumoto smokes both these guys.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never viewed Kamala on the same level as Abdullah as far as (and I hate to use this term) extreme went.

--------------------
"It's Gerry, and Mike Graham is the correct answer." — CWF Fan on a 07-14-2017 thread, debating Mike Graham & Jerry Brisco

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abby, fork and all.
CS
Member # 4568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we should "judge the art, not the artist," but it is almost impossible for me to be an Abdullah the Butcher fan after all the stories about his reckless, murderous behavior with infected blades came to light. Plus, Kamala was a childhood favorite (and seems like a decent enough guy, from what little I know), so easy pick for me to go with the "Ugandan Giant."

--------------------
"Adversity introduces a man to himself." - Arn Anderson

Vulture
Member # 10205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vulture     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CS:
I know we should "judge the art, not the artist," but it is almost impossible for me to be an Abdullah the Butcher fan after all the stories about his reckless, murderous behavior with infected blades came to light. Plus, Kamala was a childhood favorite (and seems like a decent enough guy, from what little I know), so easy pick for me to go with the "Ugandan Giant."

I get the same sense of them as people (Abby being not as nice of a person as Harris)... But in this case I can separate the art from the artist and have to go with the Butcher.

Abby just had so much more mystique and star power. Sure, they were both disappointing when it came to actual in ring performance, but I could see myself actually buying a ticket to see Abby back in the day, not so much Kamala.

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OSJ from NM by way of WA:
As far as monster heels, Dump Matsumoto smokes both these guys.

Shame about her first name though.
Shropshire Slasher
Member # 123456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shropshire Slasher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they made Harris a more savage guy that might have helped but I think he was just a nice guy . Abby had that bloodlust.
midsouthfan from N.O.
Member # 1508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for midsouthfan from N.O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of the others mentioned, I think the short stays & booking helped Abby. Kamala was every bit the heel Abby was went her entered an area, but the longer you stay the less "scary" you become.
bcthomas
Member # 125485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abby for the spectacle, Kamala for the work.

Watching Kamala vs a smaller guy was beautiful. The way he weebled and wobbled and rocked really built up for when he finally took the bump.

How many matches have we seen where the crowd came unglued when the babyface hit that huge 4th dropkick that finally took the Ugandan Giant off his feet?

Playboy Dain
Member # 2860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Playboy Dain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought both of them were great characters, but I lean towards Abdullah overall. He always seemed more of a mercenary than Kamala. But I did like the added touch of Friday or Kimchee as Kamala's handler, along with a manager.

I thought it was cool when I saw results featuring Abby, Kamala, & Kamala II in 6-man matches in All Japan, but I don't think I ever saw a match featuring all three.

Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Abdullah came across as a pure bounty hunter.when he showed up you knew there was gonna be blood. kamala was a great worke early, but WWF kind of hurt his mystique as a monster.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

von erich mark
Member # 121391

The pure blading with Abby all the time and no real offense gives Kamala the edge.
northwest territories
Member # 125769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northwest territories     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without question, Abby. Kamala was a great gimmick but not even close to as scary. Abby also did so much to protect his gimmick, too.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gabba Hey:
Yeah, Abdullah came across as a pure bounty hunter.when he showed up you knew there was gonna be blood. kamala was a great worke early, but WWF kind of hurt his mystique as a monster.

His first 2 WWF runs were fine

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

The Saviour of Misbehaviour
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Saviour of Misbehaviour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kamala seemed like an overgrown child at times, in need of proper guidance. Abby seemed like a nut with too many weapons and a set of male mud flaps that would make Dolly Parton envious. Abby was definitely scarier, but Kamala seems more like a guy you would buy a beer for at a bar.

--------------------
“Hearing the words, ‘The land of the free and home of the brave’ means something special for every American, every day,” Harris added later in his speech. “But today, on Dec. 7, it takes on extraordinary significance.”

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations