WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » 39 Years Ago Today: Terry Funk wins the NWA World Heavyweight Title

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 39 Years Ago Today: Terry Funk wins the NWA World Heavyweight Title
BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of CWF Archives FB Page/Barry Rose & Manof1000holds

-

-

-

12/10/75 Miami Beach Convention Center (Attendance: 5,164)
NWA Title-Terry Funk def. Jack Brisco (Terry subs for Dory, Jr. and wins title)
Florida Title-Bill Dromo def. King Curtis-DQ.
Southern Title-The Destroyer DCOR Cyclon Negro
US Jr. Title-Mike Graham def. Karl Von Steiger
Thunderbolt Patterson def. Bob Roop
Roger Kirby-Rip Hawk def. Rocky Johnson-Tom Jones
Bob Orton, Jr. def. Abe Jacobs
Omar Negro drew Ron Starr

[ 12-10-2014, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan ]

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[proactive]shaddap[/proactive] from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

stipe
Member # 115491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stipe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forever ! Forever ! Forever !

--------------------
Bad english warning !

Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
[proactive]shaddap[/proactive] from the Sunshine State!

Hey, at least you're not alone in that club. We should have meetings or something. Though my initiation came 12 years later than yours.
Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That post match promo, Terry's subtle heeling=gold!
The Average Malenko
Member # 3504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Average Malenko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's the shot to the face of ref Sonny Myers after the go home.
The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For that day and time, it was not a very subtle thing. He came off like the heel in the interviews. In the ring, it looked like a babyface match for the most part. The pin was clean and the match was not a Dusty finish. This was clearly Terry taking his oath to be a really nasty champ. He lived down to it. [Big Grin]
daragaki
Member # 5806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daragaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This must be a 1st time where a challenger is a sub and when wins a world title.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII

Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daragaki:
This must be a 1st time where a challenger is a sub and when wins a world title.

Has it been ever done again?

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
—
Lawler would knock their wee-wee off!

okstampede
Member # 10203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okstampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Ganja:

Ron Simmons in WCW.

--------------------
"These matches are sanctioned by the NWA, the National Wrestling Alliance. Wherever you see that banner, you know you're seeing the finest in professional wrestling."

"Nothing I hate more than a dog that sucks eggs."

von erich mark
Member # 121391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von erich mark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did the nwa board agree to a storyline such as a sub winning the NWA Championship?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with it, if used that seldom? It drew a bigger crowd than if the match had been advertised with Terry, it's realistic, it set up not only return matches with Jack but every title defense with Terry seen as a fluke champion who could get beaten any night. Sounds like real smart booking to me.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way there is no footage of the ref being knocked out and Brisco "getting what would have been a 5 count" on Funk. Then Terry saying he didn't recall that happening.

Tell me--who doctored the footage to show that the ref was knocked out and Jack actually did have Funk pinned?

jjmike
Member # 3833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hogan subbing for Backlund.
Diesel subbing for Bret Hart.

JB71
Member # 8059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
I like the way there is no footage of the ref being knocked out and Brisco "getting what would have been a 5 count" on Funk. Then Terry saying he didn't recall that happening.

Tell me--who doctored the footage to show that the ref was knocked out and Jack actually did have Funk pinned?

I'm sure they probably did that so they could show the same match clip in Amarillo where Terry was a Face and Jack was a heel.
von erich mark
Member # 121391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von erich mark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Terry defend against Lawler in territories other than Memphis?
Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT CLIP!!

Unsure about the Lawler question but the whole clip has little touches that added something extra that is lost a little in today's landscape.

House shows are not as important nowadays so the the talk about the rematch in Tampa made both matches seem ultra important.

Now, a larger question -Did Jack Brisco have a bad match against any Funk, ever?

[ 12-13-2014, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Jm ]

Rob from IA
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob from IA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jjmike:
quote:

Diesel subbing for Bret Hart.

Big Show for Austin at Survivor Series '99.
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jjmike:
quote:

This was known and announced weeks in advance. I meant where it wasn't announced until fans were in the building and then the title changed hands.

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
—
Lawler would knock their wee-wee off!

weaselsuit from MN
Member # 8719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for weaselsuit from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clip is gone. I've actually only seen it once. So cool cause I saw a couple shows in that place. Can anybody set the Wease up??

--------------------
"Car picture with Dom Deluise..."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations