WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Meng's reputation for toughness (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Meng's reputation for toughness
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laditow Bosqueeps Albano:
quote:
Originally posted by Ordell:
Ted DiBiase on Meng getting arrested in St. Louis
"Some of the guys got into a fight and Meng got involved. He was just trying to help and in the process of trying to help, he gets maced by 4 cops and handcuffed. Now they handcuffed himi behind his back and then he said "Is this it?" and he broke the handcuffs. He snapped them."

I don't question that he's a tough guy, but I'm gonna venture a guess that this didn't actually happen.
I believe this incident has been proven. I recall a newsletter from the time showing the newspaper clippings. I believe he was tased and there were more than 4 cops in attendance.
IP: Logged
james beard
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james beard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea how many of the stories are completely true, but I do know Tonga's not one to brag about something like this. I can promise you he's not someone you'd want to poke a stick at, but I also know he's one of the nicest guys I ever worked with or knew in the business. We spent a lot of time together in Japan and I can tell you, he was as generous and as true a friend as you could ask anyone to be.

I admit, I felt pretty safe in his company, but the reason I spent so much time with him had nothing to do with that. It was because I truly enjoyed being around him. He had a lot of connections in Japan and took very good care of me there. Those were some special times.

--------------------
"It's the truth....deal with it"...Bill Hicks

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have read it here some time back, but is there any truth to the fact that Eric Bischoff wanted him to fight in the UFC just so he can kill that promotion? During WCW's heyday, UFC wasn't even a factor.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time Life Publishing is about to release a series of books about how tough Meng/Haku is. Including the famous story about how he used the Tongan Death Grip on over 28 men, one just for snoring too loud.

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

The Operative
Member # 3979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Operative     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't some of these incidents have to have a nugget of truth? I can't imagine the wrestling community would universally put the guy over as tough just because he was a nice guy...

Also, it would only take one of these guys to believe he wasn't so tough and try to destroy the myth once and for all.

Troy Lowe
Member # 8575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troy Lowe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:
Time Life Publishing is about to release a series of books about how tough Meng/Haku is. Including the famous story about how he used the Tongan Death Grip on over 28 men, one just for snoring too loud.

-
harley's favorite beer
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for harley's favorite beer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I agree that Meng was a tough guy one of the toughest of all time and in a bar fight there is very few i would take over him but one would be harley race i would pick harley over ANYBODY in a street fight they do not make them tougher but meng would give him a run for his money for sure
Dragon Shai
Member # 26632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon Shai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harley's favorite beer:
Okay I agree that Meng was a tough guy one of the toughest of all time and in a bar fight there is very few i would take over him but one would be harley race i would pick harley over ANYBODY in a street fight they do not make them tougher but meng would give him a run for his money for sure

It would be tough to make a call in a fight between Haku and Harley because very few of us have that much information about them and how they handled themselves in truly physical confrontations. We've heard at least a few stories but thats about it. We are largely going on reputation, which is probably mostly true for both guys. I doubt that there were more than a handful of guys that actually challenged either Harley or Haku in their careers.
Laditow Bosqueeps Albano
Member # 5722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laditow Bosqueeps Albano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:
quote:
"Some of the guys got into a fight and Meng got involved. He was just trying to help and in the process of trying to help, he gets maced by 4 cops and handcuffed. Now they handcuffed himi behind his back and then he said "Is this it?" and he broke the handcuffs. He snapped them."

I don't question that he's a tough guy, but I'm gonna venture a guess that this didn't actually happen.
I believe this incident has been proven. I recall a newsletter from the time showing the newspaper clippings. I believe he was tased and there were more than 4 cops in attendance.
It's going to take a lot of evidence for me to believe that he simply snapped out of a pair of cuffs behind his back like he's the Incredible Hulk .

--------------------
"The three of us (should) end the album with a duet."
-Jesse Ventura, The Wrestling Album

harley's favorite beer
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for harley's favorite beer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay here is some data on harley race

in japan in the early 70's one punch from harley knock buddy austin's head in a wall

in the mid 80's at jimmy crockett's bachelor party the freebirds got cute with harley he ask them to go outside they did he knock all three of them out and rejoined the party

in the mid 1960's harley got into a bar fight at one of the toughest bars in minnepolis with acouple of pimps that where slapping around one of there whores harley was cleaning house until one stab him in the back in the back harley continue to fight.

and the last story about harley comes from gordon solie who when ask who was the toughest the baddest of any wrestlers he said harley race when ask why gordon told of a time in florida when gordon harley and tiger conway jr. where driving to a shot and stop at a bar to get something to eat gordon saw that it was rough and suggest they go somewhere else but harley said they would be fine well all three sat down and before the food came tiger when into the restroom and was follow by 4 to 5 of the biggest rednecks you could imagine after a minute or so harley told gordon excuse me i think tiger is in trouble and went into restroom the rednecks where putting tiger head in the toliet well within moments gordon went into the restroom and harley had beaten the hell out of all them. Harley help tiger to there table and they finish there meal and nobody bother them afterward

heinoushorseman1986
Member # 12747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heinoushorseman1986         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Meng get arrested for trying to bite a manys nose off in a bar fight?

--------------------
Billy the Kid..
Saint Augustine,Florida 1513,1565,1672,1702,1740..

Frogs
Member # 51578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the thing about it is where there is smoke there is usually some fire somewhere.

Around Meng the stories are pretty consistent, basically they all say he was one tough customer in a fight and was a nice guy unless crossed.

I'm sure some are exaggerated. However, to have earned the level of respect he has among his peers I'd think there has to be a good amount of truth behind it.

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by harley's favorite beer:

I don't doubt Harley's toughness, but I would go with Haku. This nearly 300lb guy moved around like a 150lb guy.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

TwilightKid
Member # 5852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwilightKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death once had a near Meng experience.
Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by heinoushorseman1986:
Did Meng get arrested for trying to bite a manys nose off in a bar fight?

Dude, seriously, I really suggest you read through the threads you post in.

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

CJ in Savannah
Member # 26303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ in Savannah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RedRiver Kanyon:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Following Contest:
Haku once played 18 holes of golf using nothing more than a sun dried tomato and a bent piece of rebar. He shot a 36.

That would have been more entertaining than any of his WCW matches.

Where is the big guy now, anyway?

Last I heard the toughest man on the face of god's green earth was detailing cars at an auto dealership in Tampa.
It should also be noted his son is on the Smackdown roster, I believe he's known as Camacho, I wonder if Meng's kid isn't someone to be messing with either.

--------------------
I hope my next relationship lasts longer than Taylor Swift's next 10.

Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwilightKid:
Death once had a near Meng experience.

HAHAHAHAHA... That's awesome.

--------------------
I'm going down to the Greyhound station, gonna get a ticket to ride...

SLS
Member # 265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WCW needed Meng as the locker room enforcer in the 90's.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
quote:
quote:

It's going to take a lot of evidence for me to believe that he simply snapped out of a pair of cuffs behind his back like he's the Incredible Hulk .
I've actually seen that happen twice! One of my good buddies who was a police office who worked at my night club told me it wasn't all that uncommon. They had different types of cuffs or would double cuff certain guys.
Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frogs:
Well the thing about it is where there is smoke there is usually some fire somewhere.

Around Meng the stories are pretty consistent, basically they all say he was one tough customer in a fight and was a nice guy unless crossed.

I'm sure some are exaggerated. However, to have earned the level of respect he has among his peers I'd think there has to be a good amount of truth behind it.

My gut tells me there's ONE story and it's been told and retold until it morphed into 12 different ones, each with a guy claiming to have been there. Kinda like the "biting the nose off the guy's face story" above. Just go ahead and try to find some verification of that lawsuit or the incident. It was on the news, remember? Yeah, sure.

Tabe

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard the two cuffs thing as well. No idea how often/easily they can be broken, but my cousin went to school with a guy who plays in the NFL. The school resource officer was joking around with the future NFLer and said something like, "I would use two sets of cuffs on you." or something like that. Don't know if he actually meant they did that frequently for bigger guys like that or not, but it sounded plausible.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the Meng legend of the Saito McDonalds incident that included the "police report" of pepper spray just making him even madder?

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

SHOOTER
Member # 26761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biting someone's nose off in a fight ( after three guys were punching him so he knocked them out )??? Gouging a man's eyeball out in a fight??? Reached into a guy's mouth and broke off his bottom teeth in a fight??? Im sure he's a pretty tough guy but I'd say he's more crazy then tough... If three guys were punching him and he knocked them out then I'd say they were throwing some weak punches, probably drunk, and were'nt fighters. Not everyone knows how to throw a good punch. Not saying he can't take a punch but I'm sure it would be a different outcome if just one of those guys could throw a good punch... I guess anything goes in a street fight, bar fight, etc. but all the removal of body parts is the sign of a crazy person. Jeez, put him in a triangle choke and he'd probably bite your balls off... I don't know the circumstances for his fight with Jesse Barr and I've heard Barr was a pretty good amatuer wrestler. I wasn't there but is it possible Jesse was schooling him on the ground so he reached into Jesse's eye? I'm sure if he was in a UFC fight he would lose pretty quick unless he had trained MMA, jui jitsu, wrestling, kickboxing, etc. for a long time... I'd say definitely a lot more crazy then tough.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saito story was that they had to use two sets of cuffs because his wrists were too big for one, and that Mace only made him mad. These were actual quotes from the cops in the Wausau paper. They're on the board somewhere, the scans, although I'd be surprised if the links are still good. I have no idea if Tonga 'inherited' the stories or had his own similar incidents, or what.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Bee Dot
Member # 62107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bee Dot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I'm surprised there are no stories about Meng using his head to break a wall or a cop car window.

Since he had such a "hard head" during matches.

--------------------
I stumbled over an old Coliseum Home Video clamshell box and landed on my external occipital protuberance.

Standing Room Only, Hanging from the rafters!

james beard
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james beard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it's really hard for me to imagine Tonga getting that crazy. I know people change and mature and my times around him came after he'd been around a while, but I never saw any sign of him being out of control or easily angered.

Believe me, I drank plenty of beer/saki and other adult beverages with Tonga and never saw a hint of it altering his personality or making him less than stable. Certainly, I never saw it affect him to the point he was out of control or aggressive as some would become and these stories indicate.

So, I don't think these stories come from being too much under the influence from alcohol. I certainly understand there are degrees of this, but from my experiences with Tonga, he remained on a very even level, even in those times when we'd go out and have a few.

Like I said, I don't think it would be smart to push him to the point he felt the need to protect himself, but I just don't see him being unnecessarily aggressive unless it happened during a time when he was much more excessive in his drinking than when I was around him.

He may have gone through a period of "craziness". I suspect many of us have to some degree. But, most of these stories don't fit the Tonga I knew.

--------------------
"It's the truth....deal with it"...Bill Hicks

Rico
Member # 5981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so who would win in a fight between Meng and Chuck Norris? This should be an epic struggle.

--------------------
When all you see is what's wrong, you miss what's right.

Lord Tense Guy
Member # 61299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lord Tense Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meng and Chuck would annihilate each other and create the Higgs Boson.
Nontraditional Student
Member # 10517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nontraditional Student     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rico:
Ok, so who would win in a fight between Meng and Chuck Norris? This should be an epic struggle.

Meng.

--------------------
I'm going down to the Greyhound station, gonna get a ticket to ride...

Playboy Dain
Member # 2860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Playboy Dain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought both WWF/E & WCW could've done more with him, he would've been a good IC or US champion.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by .Neal Snow:
quote:
Originally posted by Armageddon_T_Thunderbird:

-
Magnificent book by the way. Vols 3-6 are just one page of a picture of Meng staring at you. No one has finished reading all three of them without weeping like a little girl.

-

[ 01-20-2012, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Armageddon_T_Thunderbird ]

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTER:
I'm sure if he was in a UFC fight he would lose pretty quick unless he had trained MMA, jui jitsu, wrestling, kickboxing, etc. for a long time... I'd say definitely a lot more crazy then tough.

Or more likely get DQ'd for biting or gouging or something

Doesn't sound like he has much control once his temper goes, which doesn't usually make for a good professional fighter

As to wether the stories are true or not, who knows, but when you have this many people, from a group of people in an industry that prizes toughness, all saying the same thing, I think you can pretty much draw the conclusion that yes, he is one tough SOB

[ 01-20-2012, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

BattleRoyal
Member # 61907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BattleRoyal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Gordon Solie story about Harley beating up five Rednecks in a bathroom in the South.
The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't shoot him. You will only make him mad. [Smile]

-

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth or b.s., if any promoter with a brain in his head had incorporated this type of hype about him in their promotion of his career, he might've actually drawn a lot of money as a main eventer.

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

Martin Tori
Member # 27175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Martin Tori         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a fun little match. Love that it told an actual story (that The Giant only won because he had the reach advantage):

--------------------
"16 day debreidden is hopspital and did gp crazt. Check. Peached are godd, check."

JWLPromoter from FL
Member # 3978

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JWLPromoter from FL   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTER:
I'm sure if he was in a UFC fight he would lose pretty quick unless he had trained MMA, jui jitsu, wrestling, kickboxing, etc. for a long time... I'd say definitely a lot more crazy then tough.

He WAS a Sumo wrestler before he got into pro wrestling and I imagine he has SOME kind of a martial arts background with all the kicks and chops he used.

quote:
Here's what Chris Candido said about Meng: "He was talking to me, Tammy, and Chris Jericho. In comes Eric Bischoff and Greg Gagne and they walk right in front of us and starts talking to Meng. He looks at them and goes "Hey!". And the entire lockerroom just froze. I was like "Man, these weren't just funny stories, this guy must really be tough". And then Meng says "Apologize to my friends, I'm talking" and everyone shuts up while Bischoff and Gagne apologize to me, Tammy, and Chris.

The only time this could have happened was in 1994, since Greg Gagne was a WCW office guy at the time and Meng was in WCW as Col. Robert Parker's Stud Stable bodyguard, but Candido, Tammy and Jericho were all in SMW at the time. Candido and Tammy did have a brief run in WCW in 2000, and Meng was still in WCW then, but Jericho was in WWE at the time.

--------------------
"BANG BANG!"

"Those who cannot remember history are condemned to repeat it."- George Santayana

"...the strongest force in the world is a woman!"- Jimmy Hart

The George The Animal Steele Fan Page!

Your uncrowned IWA World Heavyweight Champion

TerryR
Member # 5671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a good match with the Giant and Meng. The only problem is, and this touches on what Martin Tori asked earlier, every time they did something like this where Meng is an animal they never followed up.
TexasWrestling
Member # 62768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasWrestling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were in charge of WCW during the NWO era, I would have made Meng WCW champion in order to restore order in the locker room. This may have kept Hogan, Nash, Hall in line and any political maneuvers from offsetting the company.

I wonder what was the really reason Meng first left the WWF. I would assume it had to do with the attacks he did to others such as biting off the nose. He was not black balled like David Schultz.

After reflecting on Meng, I think of Bruiser Brody. If the NWA was smart they should have made Brody the NWA champion in 1984 and told him please let Hogan know he is not a World Champion. This may have diminished Hulkmania and the WWF.

mckinneydg
Member # 48545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mckinneydg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked Meng's monster pushes, but they always flamed out quickly as multiple posters have referenced. My favorite one was where they showed Arn Anderson watching some footage of Meng and said something about Meng's opponents like, "Can't these goofs just find a building to jump off of?"

I was disappointed that the Faces of Fear never held the WCW Tag Titles. I remember a PPV where they took on the Outsiders and I was rooting like heck for the FoF. Nice, bruiser tag team there.

--------------------
South Atlanta Wrestling

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations