WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Gulf Coast Wrestling - The Intern vs Cowboy Bob Kelly (Youtube)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gulf Coast Wrestling - The Intern vs Cowboy Bob Kelly (Youtube)
BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

IP: Logged
Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Mojo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Intern was Joe Turner, who teamed with Bill Bowman alot years back.Joe also wrestled as Joe Sky.

--------------------
Wish it was 1968 again, & I was watching Ken Lucas battling heel Don Carson once more.

bomberjacklord
Member # 4879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bomberjacklord   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the opportunity to meet Bob for the first time a few weeks ago. Very, very nice man. Looking forward to seeing him again at the Gulf Coast Reunion.

--------------------
The secret to immortality is to live a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tojo Mojo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack-Y'all have fun down there in Mobile next weekend.

--------------------
Wish it was 1968 again, & I was watching Ken Lucas battling heel Don Carson once more.

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a copy of this just a couple of months ago for Joe. His grandkids had never seen footage of him in the ring. He likes this match because even though he puts Kelly over, it's by DQ. [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

This is from the latter part of 1970. Joe & Bill did the Interns a good bit of '68 in the Gulf Coast, managed by Dr. Jerry Graham.

--------------------

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
November 1970 to be more exact.

--------------------

Tojo Mojo
Member # 10109

Thanks--I couldn't recall the exact time.

--------------------

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about Bob Kelly. Did he ever wrestling in other territories? Was he always Cowboy Bob Kelly? Who were his big well known opponents he feuded with?

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Kelly started his career in his native Kentucky working for promoter Willie Davis. Also wrestled a bit in Indiana. In the early 60s he went to the North Bay territory and was mainly used as a referee. He became close friends with Terry & Ronnie Garvin who helped him get booked in the Gulf Coast territory in 1965. Within two years he went from referee to top babyface to booker (Mobile-Mississippi side). He stayed with the promotion until September of 1975 when he moved back to Kentucky. He worked for Bruiser & Gulas for about 7 months, the returned to the Gulf Coast until his retirement in December of 1976.

He was first given the name "Irish" Bob Kelly at the beginning of his career, but became "Cowboy" when he came to the GC. He had actually been a rodeo rider in the early 60s just after he was honorably discharged from the USMC.

His biggest name opponents were an assortment of Daltons & Fargos. His feud with Jack Dalton/Don Fargo lasted for ten years. He never faced any nationally known names when they came into the area. As booker, he always booked them against others in the area that he felt they would draw better with.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations