WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Any Wrestling Shows In Prisons???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Wrestling Shows In Prisons???
unclefester
Member # 17559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unclefester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard a story today on the radio I'd never heard before....back in February of 1954 the Detroit Red Wings played an outdoor "exhibition" hockey game against a group of inmates at a prison in Marquette Michigan. The Red Wings led 18-nothing after the first period and they then stopped keeping score. The winners were presented with a trophy...a honey bucket....from a prison cell. Got me to thinking.....have there ever been any major wrestling shows held at a prison?....Any Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues type shows for a truly captive audience??

[ 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: unclefester ]

--------------------
Two out of three falls with a 60 minute time limit...

IP: Logged
UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a great story of Dutch wrestling in a prison for Jarrett's promotion in his first book. If no one else remembers it I can look it up tomorrow and post the details. I believe it involved the Fantastics getting over as babyfaces for all the wrong reasons.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
CM: ... I remember this from the magazines at the time (1964 IIRC), you guys going in and wrestling at the Atlanta Penitentiary.

SPUTNIK MONROE: Yeah. I really got over there. I didn’t wanna go there to start with. I said, “I ain’t goin’ there,“ and (Buddy) Fuller said, ‘Yes, you are, you S.O.B. .” So, I thought ‘how the hell are you gonna entertain a buncha killers and rapists and all that?’, and then I snapped. I was wrestlin’ Greg Peterson and I took him down and pulled his tights down off of his butt and went to fumblin’ with myself and they tore the bleachers down. They thought I was gonna screw him right there in the ring. I didn’t get that far, he hit me in the eye, eleven stitches worth.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
If you lames are the master race, my money's on the mud people.---Andrew Vachss

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
quote:
CM: ... I remember this from the magazines at the time (1964 IIRC), you guys going in and wrestling at the Atlanta Penitentiary.

SPUTNIK MONROE: Yeah. I really got over there. I didn’t wanna go there to start with. I said, “I ain’t goin’ there,“ and (Buddy) Fuller said, ‘Yes, you are, you S.O.B. .” So, I thought ‘how the hell are you gonna entertain a buncha killers and rapists and all that?’, and then I snapped. I was wrestlin’ Greg Peterson and I took him down and pulled his tights down off of his butt and went to fumblin’ with myself and they tore the bleachers down. They thought I was gonna screw him right there in the ring. I didn’t get that far, he hit me in the eye, eleven stitches worth.

So long from the Sunshine State!
Here's a photo of Wildman Phillips,Lenny Montana, Sputs and Charlie Carr entering the Atlanta Pen.

-

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was the magazine I remembered it from.

--------------------

Bucket T from MN
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bucket T from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buck Zumhofe ran a show at Stillwater prison in Minnesota while incarcerated there.
Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chael Sonnen may soon be doing some wrestling matches in prison [Big Grin]

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a prison by a long shot; but, Ted Lewin told a story in his I Was a Teenage Wrestler about doing a show at a veterans hospital. He said the audience consisted of serious shell-shock/PTSD cases and nary a sound was heard the entire time. The wrestlers tried everything to get a response but not a peep. It threw everyone off their game until they finally gave up. They asked the hospital staff about it, remarking that no one is doing anything so why did they have the matches? The response was that it was the only thing everyone liked.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Philly Sports Fan
Member # 18264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philly Sports Fan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have time to look it up right now, but there was a guy in the 70s who held the Arizona Hwt title and defended it in prison.

--------------------
***This post requires participatory viewer discretion.***

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a fellow in the Dallas area that regularly ran shows at the Federal Correctional facility in the DFW area. Apparently the inmates really enjoyed it so he ran there for quite a while in the 80's.
Fighting Camel
Member # 4935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fighting Camel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The minimum custoday prison in Raleigh, NC used to take 12 inmates every Wednesday night to the TV-5 tapings of MACW.

One of the guys who went every week for years was in his late 70s and finishing up his 3rd life sentence for murder. (parole used to be after 20 years on 1st degree murder, 10 years on 2nd degree....he had two 1st, and a 2nd)

--------------------
"A girl's legs are her best friend...but even the best of friends must part"---Redd Foxx

Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lenny Montana looks JUST like the actor that played Luca Brasi in that picture.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Yeah, how bout that? Surprised they let him leave.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations