WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » Billy Robinson - Peter Maivia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Billy Robinson - Peter Maivia
Mr4wrestle
Member # 811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr4wrestle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Mike Aldren's Wrestling Globe:
We were honored to receive a letter from Billy Robinson regarding his
altercation with Peter Maivia (Grandfather of The Rock) which we noted
in the last newsletter. Billy tells us that the altercation took place
in late 1969 during a tour of Japan. This is his first ever public
comments on the matter 41 years later. He writes, "Peter Maivia was a
great guy. I knew him in England, and got him and George Gordienko
booked in Japan for that tour. Peter was a little wild when he had a few
drinks. We were in the south of Japan and in an area where not too many
people spoke English. Peter got impatient and started to act up which
was making things worse and nobody was getting served at the bar. I told
him to grow up and shut up so that we could all get served, which he
did, but Peter being Peter, it played on his mind. On the way back to
the hotel Peter for some reason wanted to fight me and started throwing
punches. I grabbed him and held him so he couldn't move. He then tried
to bite me in the neck, so I pulled my jaw down so he couldn't do any
real damage, but he bit through cheek. When I saw the blood I got angry
and knocked him out... he was unconscious for 25 minutes. I had to go to
hospital to get a shot for the bacteria. The next day I found out that
George had instigated the whole episode so I went into both their rooms,
locked the door and challenged them. Neither wanted to do anything after
that. And a couple of days later we were good friends again, As for the
eye story, I had an operation on my right eye when I was 11 years old.
Peter did not have the ability as a street fighter to get close to my
eyes, and the reason I got bitten was because I didn't want to hurt him.
But as you know over the years stories get exaggerated... Reputations
are usually made by people who have never been on the mat, or in a
street fight. Like most pro wrestlers/workers they start to believe they
know how to wrestle and are really tough. But they never seem to have
fought or beat anyone."

IP: Logged
Greg Ganja
Member # 1677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Ganja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I always thought it happened in the late 70s for some reason.

--------------------

I don't like the divorce font!
---
Your old lady's old lady has got skinnier legs!!!
—
Lawler would knock their wee-wee off!

Marcos from OK
Member # 5572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcos from OK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a more believable version of the story with the exception of Robinson knocking him out for 25 minutes.

Not sure what he would have been doing to hold him in a way to get bit through the cheek. I know when a Gracie fights a big guy they tend to pull guys into their guards and the mouth can be very close to the side of your face.

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great post....

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Sturm316
Member # 4835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sturm316     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found a site that has a 2005 Observer excerpt with other accounts on what happened:

http://s3.invisionfree.com/New_Millennium_Blues/ar/t524.htm

I don't see how Robinson's version is any more beliveable. Sounds more to me like a bully trying to paint himself in the best possible light, knowing anyone who could corroborate has long since passed.

Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sturm316:
Found a site that has a 2005 Observer excerpt with other accounts on what happened:

http://s3.invisionfree.com/New_Millennium_Blues/ar/t524.htm

I don't see how Robinson's version is any more beliveable. Sounds more to me like a bully trying to paint himself in the best possible light, knowing anyone who could corroborate has long since passed.

Yeah, somehow I don't buy Billy's version. Known douchebag painting himself in a positive light in a fight where he got beaten? Yeah, I don't buy it.

Tabe

PCmor
Member # 7229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PCmor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the stuff I've been told about George Gordienko, I don't know if I'd want to be challenging him, either.
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gordienko backed down?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, big grain of salt on this one.

So long from the Sunshine State!

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Mike FL
Member # 20057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame on Peter Maivia for telling his grand kids he bit Billy's eye out... ;-)

25 minutes seems a stretch too.

Other than that, sounds about right.

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JumboShrimp from CA:
Gordienko backed down?

Yeah, that one gets my eyebrow popping up, too.

He didn't really have a rep as a "tough guy", but I don't recall anyone saying they'd wanna get in his face, either, y'know?

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that he'd be suddenly trying to do damage ontrol to his tough guy rep by trying to dispel one of wrestling's greatest urban legends all these years later. As has been mentioned, awfully convenient that anyone who could corroborate or dispute the incident have long since passed.

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Mark Tomol
Member # 9223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tomol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look at pictures of Robinson after 1969, there doesn't seem to be any problem with his eyes. Does the story go that his eye was gouged out or that he just lost vision?
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Tomol:
If you look at pictures of Robinson after 1969, there doesn't seem to be any problem with his eyes. Does the story go that his eye was gouged out or that he just lost vision?

Maivia knocked Robinson out for 25 minutes, and while he was waiting for Robinson to awake, pulled out the eyeball, stomped on it and bounced it off the ceiling a few times. Then, stitched it back up and shoved it back in Robinson's eye socket...

Hey, might as well add my version to the legend, eh?

[ 12-03-2010, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: JumboShrimp from CA ]

PWH Info
Member # 28266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWH Info     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call shenanigans on this one.
PeteF3
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeteF3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you look at pictures of Robinson after 1969, there doesn't seem to be any problem with his eyes.

Really? I think it's plainly obvious that Robinson either has a glass eye or his eye paralyzed.
clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF3:
quote:
If you look at pictures of Robinson after 1969, there doesn't seem to be any problem with his eyes.

Really? I think it's plainly obvious that Robinson either has a glass eye or his eye paralyzed.
Agree with Pete. Watch the movie The Wrestler again. It's very obvious there.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

Tabe
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by clawmaster64:
Agree with Pete. Watch the movie The Wrestler again. It's very obvious there.

I'd never looked before but, yeah, it's pretty obvious:

-

Tabe

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robinson and Maivia began there tour of Japan’s IWE promotion in Sapporo on 11-4-68. George Gordienko had been in country sense Sept.

Nov. 4, 1968-Sapporo IWE promotion
1-Billy Robinson drew George Gordienko
2-Thunder Sugiyama & Tadaharu Tanaka & Toyonobori over Peter Maivia & John Da Silva & Gilbert Voiney
3-Masao Kimura & Great Kusatsu over Ray Golden Apollon & Ray Hunter
4-Michael Nador over Takeshi Oiso

Nov. 5, 1960—Asahikawa
1-Masao Kimura & Thunder Sugiyama & Toyonobori over George Gordienko & Peter Maivia & Ray Hunter
2-Billy Robinson & John De Silva over Tadaharu Tanaka & Mammoth Suzuki
3- Takeshi Oiso over Ray Golden Apollon via DQ
4-Gil Voiney over Daigo
5- Michael Nador drew Great Kusatsu via DCOR

Sapporo is on the northern island of Hokkaido, site of the fight. Asahikawa is also on the island.

Nov. 6, 1968—Wakkanai
1-Masao Kimura & Toyonobori & Tadaharu Tanaka over George Gordienko & Peter Maivia & John Da Silva
2- Billy Robinson & Ray Golden Apollon over Great Kusatsu & Takeshi Oiso
3- Thunder Sugiyama over Ray Hunter via DQ
4- Michael Nador over Enzo Inoue
5- Mammoth Suzuki over Gil Voiney

So Billy is still wrestling. With one eye?????

Have cards for the 7th, 8th, 9th, & 11th with all three working.

Nov. 12, 1986—Tsuruoka
1-Masao Kimura & Toyonobori & Tadaharu Tanaka over Ray Golden Apollon & Michael Nador & Ray Hunter
2-Billy Robinson over Peter Maivia
3- John Da Silva over Enzo Inoue
4- Thunder Sugiyama drew Great Kusatsu via DCOR
5- Mammoth Suzuki over Isamu Teranishi

Continues with cards every night.

Nov. 25, 1986—Shibata
1-Masao Kimura & Thunder Sugiyama over Billy Robinson & Peter Maivia
2-John Da Silva over Gilbert Voiney via COR
3-Tadaharu Tanaka & Toyonobori over Ray Golden Apollon & George Gordienko
4-Michael Nador over Daigo
5-Great Kusatsu over Michael Nador

Random cards follow:

Nov. 30, 1986—Tokyo
(TWWA Tag Title)
1-Thunder Sugiyama & Toyonobori over George Gordienko & John Da Silva
2-Masao Kimura & Great Kusatsu over Michael Nador & Gilbert Voiney
3-Peter Maivia over Billy Robinson via DQ
4-Ray Golden Apollon drew Tadaharu Tanaka via DCOR

Dec. 14, 1986—Tokyo
(European Title)
1-Billy Robinson over Peter Maivia
2-George Gordienko drew Toyonobori
3-Great Kusatsu & Thunder Sugiyama & Tadaharu Tanaka over Michael Nador & Gilbert Voiney & John Da Silva
4-Ray Golden Apollon over Masao Kimura

Dec. 21, 1986—Osaka
(TWWA TC)
1-Thunder Sugiyama & Toyonobori over Peter Maivia & George Gordienko
(European Title)
2-Billy Robinson over Great Kusatsu
3-Michael Nador over Gilbert Voiney
4-Masao Kimura & Tadaharu Tanaka over Ray Golden Apollon & John Da Silva
5-Mammoth Suzuki over Takeshi Oiso
6-Isamu Teranishi drew Enzo Inoue via DCOR

This ended the IWE tour with all three on every card. Robinson wrestles on next tour in Jan. as IWE World Champion. If someone had ripped or bitten my eye out I would have called in sick.

Results by HauroYamaguchi

Steve Yohe

pistol pete
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pistol pete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have trouble with pat barret's version for a sinple reason. It took 9 policemen to stop Maivia. It always took 9...It took 9 to arrest Patera and Saito...And in Montreal, in a public brawl between Ray Rougeau and Pierre Lefebvre, ( A keyfabe never took place brawl as the 2 were best friend but in a middle of a feud) it took 9 policemen as well. It's more like an urban legend. I know a guy who know a guy that his cousin saw 9 policemen arrest a wrestler...As for Robinson beeing an a*******hole, he appear on tv with 2 blackeyes in Montreal during the 80's. Storyline: they said Pierre Lefebvre sucker punch him, and Robinson want revenge. Reality: Robinson peed in Sailor White's clothes, and White beat him up...
Sturm316
Member # 4835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sturm316     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pistol pete:
I have trouble with pat barret's version for a sinple reason. It took 9 policemen to stop Maivia. It always took 9...It took 9 to arrest Patera and Saito...And in Montreal, in a public brawl between Ray Rougeau and Pierre Lefebvre, ( A keyfabe never took place brawl as the 2 were best friend but in a middle of a feud) it took 9 policemen as well. It's more like an urban legend. I know a guy who know a guy that his cousin saw 9 policemen arrest a wrestler...As for Robinson beeing an a*******hole, he appear on tv with 2 blackeyes in Montreal during the 80's. Storyline: they said Pierre Lefebvre sucker punch him, and Robinson want revenge. Reality: Robinson peed in Sailor White's clothes, and White beat him up...

Wasn't it also 9 marines that beat up Shawn Michaels in 1995?
1bruiser
Member # 2903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bruiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Yohe, you get your eye bitten out, gouged out, etc, and I don't think you'd be working the rest of the dates.
Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh. The way I first heard it was that Maivia popped Robinson's eye out of its socket, and that pretty much stopped the fight on everyone's part right then and there and Robinson's eye was placed back in the socket before any more damage was done to it. But muscles had been stretched and so his one eye didn't follow as well any more.

But it's the first time I've heard that Gordienko was anywhere near when it happened. And I just ain't buyin' his backing down to Robinson....

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

quote:
Originally posted by 1bruiser:
I'm with Yohe, you get your eye bitten out, gouged out, etc, and I don't think you'd be working the rest of the dates.

If the eyeball were completely remeoved, yeah. But if it had just been popped out of the socket and replaced quickly enough....yeah, there's some medical documentaion that such is entirely possible.

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those muscles in the eye are not really good a stretching when they get outside the pocket/socket. Them muscles wuz tore.

[ 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Jeff n Texas ]

EVAD
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVAD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Rocks version...

--------------------
Retro is the new cool

Atlas Anaxis the Neck Row Butcher
Member # 483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlas Anaxis the Neck Row Butcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EVAD:
Here's Rocks version...

Pfui.

George Lopez, whom I find as humorous as a bladder infection, is such a mark and a tool, that if Dick Murdoch were to rise from the dead tomorrow and agree to an interview, he'd tell the story of the Two Hour Broadway Three Way Bunkhouse Stampede he had in Osaka Pro with Delirious and Kuishinbo Kamen...and be taken at his word.

Pfui.

[ 12-31-2010, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: El Gran Celexa Lúzor ]

--------------------
"Heroes ride...goats walk."
--Charlie Brown

CrusherBolo
Member # 1137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrusherBolo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a million "eyes got gouged out by wrestler" stories. I've yet to hear one that's true.
When The Crusher died, Meltzer had a story about Crusher getting jumped by two guys after the matches in Chicago. Supposedly, one guy got shoved into a soda machine and Crusher knocked the guy's eye out. Verne Gagne said Mad Dog got into a fight in a bar, knocked a guy's eye out of the socket and was going to bite it off until stopped. Look around the web and you will find all kinds of these stories. Where are the newspaper articles? Where are the police reports?
All fantasy. They make for great stories, though. I'd like to believe them myself, but they aren't real.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations