WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling Posts - July 07 thru 2010 » RIP: Princess Jasmine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP: Princess Jasmine
Gil Wilcox
Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to write that one of my favorite women wrestlers, Princess Jasmine has died.

Here is an e-mail message that Juan Hernandez forwarded to me from the CAC:

Cynthia Johnson better known as Princess Jasmine passed away this morning at 7:45 am. Jasmine was a CAC member and was honored this year at the annual reunion.
Jasmine had battled cancer for a good while and was unable to attend this years reunion. Her award was fed-ex over night to her following the reunion.
Jasmine was well known in the wrestling world. She had worked for the AWA,NWA,WCW,WWF and tons of Independent promoters. Had feuds in the Caribbean’s, Japan, Africa, the Philippines, Korea, Middle East, and all over the United States & Canada.
Trained by Prince Pullins and Dick the Bruiser in 1968, her first match was just three months after training.

Jasmine’s funeral will be at Woods Funeral Home, 1003 S. Halsted St., Chicago Heights, Illinois 60411.
More information as to times and dates will be added to the cac website as soon as all arrangements are complete.

The Cauliflower Alley Club offers condolences to the friends and family of Princess Jasmine.

IP: Logged
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a tape of her from 1984 in San Antonio where she feuded with Evelyn Stevens. She was a good worker and GREAT talker.

May her soul rest in peace.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Gil Wilcox
Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to post an article about Jasmine from our friends at Canoe Slam! Wrestling from January, 2009 written by Jamie Melissa Hemmings and Greg Oliver.
The article mentions her award at the CAC but sadly Jasmine was too ill to come to the ceremony:

Princess Jasmine took her act to the road
Princess Jasmine owes much of her career -- and her name -- to her mentor, Dick Afflis, better known to wrestling fans as Dick the Bruiser. Originally from Chicago, Cynthia Peretti was a wrestling fan growing up, attending the matches on a regular basis. In 1968, The Bruiser saw something in the 5-foot-9 athletic woman, and suggested that Peretti give wrestling a try. After three months training with Prince Calvin Pullins, she was a pro, forgoing nursing training.

In the early days, she would work a few days a week for Bruiser's promotion, and it grew from there. "Dick took care of me. He was like a father to me. He protected me, he got me bookings and everything," Peretti recalled for SLAM! Wrestling. "I could go and work with whoever I wanted. Dick never stopped me, in fact he would help me. All I would do is just tell him, I’m going here. He was very good and I’d come back and work again for him."

And go she did.

Though her North American wrestling was predominentally in the midwest, Princess Jasmine also toured Alabama and Florida, Ontario, and went to Japan, the Philippines, the Caribbean, and various parts of Africa, on a couple of occasions each, as well as Korea and the Middle East. In fact, it's from those overseas jaunts that her best stories come from.

There's the near knifing, the tour in the middle of a revolution in Nigeria, and the African chief who was determined to keep her as his bride. "The chief said, 'You stay here,' and I said, 'Oh hell no!' They offered to take me on a safari, I said, 'Safari my ass, I’m going home!"

Yet it was an overwhelming positive experience for a number of reasons. "I enjoyed the travel and the people I traveled with and the places I saw," she said. "In any country or place that we went, I went into the poorest part of the neighborhood and the others would go into the richest part. I would talk to other people that lived there."

A babyface most of her career, Princess Jasmine admits that she liked it rough in the ring, something that not all of her opponents appreciated. "I was rough, I liked to wrestle rough, and a lot of people would tell me I’m too heavy," she explained. In Japan, her style went over well. A favorite opponent was Mary Jane Mull. "She didn’t complain about me being rough or anything. I really liked to work against her in tag teams because some of the things she’d be saying when we were by the referee. He would tell you the rules and she’d talk about your momma or say, 'I’m going to kick your black ass.'"

Because she worked primarily in the 1970s and 1980s, Peretti never faced a lot of the racism that early African-American wrestlers did. There were audiences in Mississippi with whites on one side of the ring, and blacks on the other. While working in northern Ontario, Princess Jasmine and her Puerto Rico partner were forced to play the heels because of the racial baiting from the crowd. "I had to play heel and the fans acted like they wanted to kill us. It was terrible," she recalled.

More fun over the last few years, however, has been Peretti's occasional steps into the world of motion pictures. Her time as a trainer in Las Vegas for the much-derided Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (GLOW) promotion helped spur her interest in film, as the girls were often seen at movie openings and the like. Back in Chicago, she would work as an extra on movies like Chain Reaction, U.S. Marshalls, My Best Friend’s Wedding, and Love Jones, in between her post-wrestling job in shipping and receiving at the Ford Motor Company. "I am into movies. I can tell you about any movie or movie star," she said with a laugh.

This April, she is being honored by the Cauliflower Alley Club for her contributions to women's wrestling.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/01/06/7937111.html

elijahkareem
Member # 6045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elijahkareem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear this, I really enjoyed her work in the ring and on the mic. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and friends.
Mister Hollywood
Member # 8547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mister Hollywood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was a beautiful and talented woman.

May she rest in peace.

fivefatcatsguy from the Twin Cities
Member # 6685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fivefatcatsguy from the Twin Cities     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She was quite attractive.
RIP- wish she could have made it over to Rockford for an AWA card or two.
 -

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How great that Cynthia Johnson had a chance to expand her horizons beyond what may very well have been--if pro wrestling hadn't beckoned--a much more constricted, economically-challenging life. That she enjoyed her life is a great thing. That she saw many other countries and got to turn down an African chieftain who obviously loved her madly is, well, beautiful.

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Infamous
Member # 10021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attractive woman.

R.I.P.

SLS
Member # 265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attractive indeed!

RIP

Greg Oliver
Member # 4391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Oliver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's our story:

Best friend Beverly Shade remembers the late Princess Jasmine

Woods Funeral Home, 1003 S. Halsted St., Chicago Heights, Illinois, (708) 755-2010, is handling the funeral for Cynthia Johnson. There will be a viewing at the funeral home on Tuesday, May 12, from 2-7 p.m. The funeral itself will be at Irenaeus Catholic Church, 78 Cherry Street, Park Forest, IL, on Wednesday, May 13, with a wake at 11 a.m., followed by the service at noon.

On a personal basis, I fondly remembering meeting her at the Cauliflower Alley Club reunion a few years ago and sharing a lot of laughs with her and Beverly. The story taken from SLAM! Wrestling above was from an interview Jamie did, which I wrote up, so I didn't know her all that well.

--------------------
Greg Oliver
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, SLAM! Wrestling
http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/home.html

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fivefatcatsguy from the Twin Cities:
She was quite attractive.
RIP- wish she could have made it over to Rockford for an AWA card or two.
 -

12/29/86 Rockford, IL @ Boylan High School
Scott Hall won a 12 Man Battle Royal
Order of elimination: 1-Knobbs 2-Somers 3-Zhukov 4-Zbyszko 5-Ferris 6-Zumhofe 7-Michaels 8-Robinson 9-Rose 10-Wolff 11-Jannetty
Midnight Rockers & Princess Jasmine beat Buddy Rose & Doug Somers & Sherri Martel
Scott Hall beat Larry Zbyskzo dq
Billy Robinson beat Boris Zhukov
Buddy Wolff drew Buck Zumhofe
Earthquake Ferris beat Brian Knobbs

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL
Member # 5431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sad dog cuzz sawyer from IL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Gil sent me an email that she was ill a few weeks back. I had a hard time remembering her until I saw her pic.

--------------------
Be yourself and look yourself in the mirror with pride each day. If you were to die today what would your fellow man say about you?? Mark Markley-gone but never forgotten

justahamandegger
Member # 5447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justahamandegger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting that information on the Princess Gil and Greg. I'm very sorry to hear about her passing. I know some of the guys here got to meet her a couple of times and always had kind things to say about her.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations