WrestlingClassics.com Message Board
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Political Discussion » Here's my call on the political forum - please read

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's my call on the political forum - please read
Mark Nulty from WA
Administrator
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Nulty from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum was my idea. Two years ago I wanted to discuss a once in a lifetime political race and I couldn't do it because of the rules about no political discussion.

Against the advice of people I trust, I went ahead and created the political forum.

There are those that are advising me to close this forum because it's one giant fist fight.

There are those advising me to make it a permission only forum.

I don't want to do either but the posters here have to cooperate or I'm not going to be given much choice.

If this forum is to stay open this is how this needs to work:

1) I just read the thread that resulted in the board being shut down in question.

It seemed to be spirited but nothing horribly out of line until the Los Narcosatanicos started taking cheap shots at Shea. Shea took the bait and we were off to the races.

If Los Narcosatanicos is who Mask thinks he is, then Mask is right to ban him.

Shea - I apologize for calling you out publically but I just don't have the time/energy to send a bunch of different emails to a bunch of different users.

Shea, you've got to be smarter than this. You just do. It was obvious he was trying to to goad you into a personal fight and you let the dumbest guy in the room outsmart you.

You are a valued poster here. You are really liked on the Wrestling message board. But if you want to post here, don't get okey doked into being drawn into some drama.

I ask you to tone down the rhetoric when someone says something critical of the Repiblican party.

Everybody else - and this includes mods and admins - and it includes me: If you can't have a discussion without taking a snarky shot at someone, stay off the thread.

This is where I am going to break my own rule and impose my own political philosophy:
1) Except the most extreme factions in both parties, every political entity has the best interest of the country at heart.

The Republicans and the Tea Party have a point when they say that government doesn't creat job. They have a point when they say government should spend wiser and encourage business.

The Democrats and the Liberals have a point when they say if big business and major corporations go unchecked it will run over the citizens just as bad if not worse than unchecked government.

Therefore, we will treat both sides with equal respect.

You will treat each other with respect.

There will be no more talk or threats of physical violence of any kind by anyone.

IP: Logged
GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, please check your PM's. Thanks.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Wanderlust Diaz from SIU
Member # 4108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wanderlust Diaz from SIU         Edit/Delete Post 
Your board. And I respect your decision.

That being said... I think this brings out the worst in people. It makes me not like people I otherwise would. Sure, I can stay away, but frankly, I think this place is racist and icky.... I can't read that and not respond.

You want to keep it, that's fine. But I said it privately, and I'll say it publicly, I don't see what positive this forum brings.

As someone involved often in the fist fight, I can't give youn a single reason it should stay open. While there are people I respect (on both sides) I think it's mostly a toxic waste dump of half baked ideas.

It only serves to divide.

[ 10-29-2010, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Wanderlust Diaz from SIU ]

--------------------
"(Nick) Diaz marches to the beat of his own drum. In his case, the bongos." Mike Goldberg

aim
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aim         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that the people who hate this board the most are either far right or far left. When you are a member of that 1/3 demographic, 2/3 of the world always disagrees with you. I suspect that those closest to the center get the most enjoyment from the forum. It makes it more interesting when you never know if you are going to agree with someones position of not. As opposed to those that you always know you'll disagree with.

I would suggest that those who are most offended by the forum just stay away. Seems pretty simple to me...

--------------------
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.
~~George Carlin

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.-- Mark Twain

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." – Socrates

The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this works. And I will say now that I am trying to be as civil as possible on here. If it is a really nasty thread, I do not try to get involved in it, but I do refer it to CM so that he can look at the thread and make a determination. Everybody should be an admin in the sense that if you don't police yourself, you will lose this forum. Although I love a good political debate, what happened here is ugly. But I don't blame GS for being upset. That fellow was flat wrong. He sounded like Mad Chad at times. Hopefully we can have civil differences but still get along.
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff n Texas:
But I don't blame GS for being upset. That fellow was flat wrong. He sounded like Mad Chad at times. Hopefully we can have civil differences but still get along.

Thanks, Jeff - and I'm with you.

--------------------

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

izzy
Member # 5704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izzy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good call Mark, thanks!

Take care,
Izzy

KingGregzilla
Member # 5023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingGregzilla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't completely agree with the call. This is the part of running message boards that I hate.

--------------------
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Gregzilla!
Gregzilla!
Gregzilla!

Infamous
Member # 10021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad the forum is staying. It has it's problems for sure but it's more often than not civil enough to where topics can get good convo's going.

Why are threads allowed to go 2 pages worth of bickering without a mod or admin stepping in to stop the nonsense ? A couple of posters acting childish should not kill it for the rest of us

Bnicholas
Member # 23863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bnicholas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I personally think it's pretty simple. If one can't handle it, then don't read or post here. I myself avoided this area for about 2 years from when I started posting in the wrestling forums. But a couple months ago a thread on home schooling was moved here and I decided to follow. I took a plunge and have actually been pleasantly surprised. Despite having a few folks that I vehemently disagree with, I have found the discourse to pretty pleasant. Then again maybe my idea of what is considered pleasant is different. The weird (I guess I don't have the history around here to understand any of what was being said back and forth) thread with Shea and Los was the first time I would term anything over the line. But again i don't consider telling someone they are wrong, even sometimes less than civilly, to be an issue. I just consider it "talkin' politics" But compared to many political discussions online, this place is sweet as pie. I'm thrilled to see it remain and I just hope that everyone, in addition to remembering to be civil, can also remember to have a thick skin and that being called insane, wacko, an idiot, etc. on a silly message board, is NOT the end of the world and no reason to lose sleep or even give it much of a second thought.

But again thanks for keeping it open, and we shall all hopefully try to play by the rules.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous:
Why are threads allowed to go 2 pages worth of bickering without a mod or admin stepping in to stop the nonsense ?

Gee, maybe because nobody bothers notifying a mod or admin.

*duuuuuuuh* from the Sunshine State.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Travlr
Administrator
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous:
Why are threads allowed to go 2 pages worth of bickering without a mod or admin stepping in to stop the nonsense ?

Gee, maybe because nobody bothers notifying a mod or admin.

*duuuuuuuh* from the Sunshine State.

Some of us also have "real jobs" [Roll Eyes] that keep us away from computers for large stretches of the day.

[ 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Travlr ]

--------------------
The Traveller
a fan since '68....

"Reputation is what others think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. The friction tends to arise when the two are not the same.... Guard your honor; let your reputation fall where it may."

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have deleted a post. This is not going to turn into a debate. The bottom line is, please work WITH us here, rather than complaining later.

[ 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

1000 Masks But No Jobs
Member # 2102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1000 Masks But No Jobs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't believe this place is staying open. When I saw the "Tea Party" thread had been locked, I instantly knew the thing had spiraled out of control. That was probably the worst thread I have read in nearly 10 years of posting of WCMB -- and I'm not taking sides or singling anyone out when I say that.

Hopefully, this forum can remain open in the future. I think it has been a big help that most of the trolls that get banned, only to reregister again and again have pretty much been weeded out. The poli. board has a core of about 20-25 regular posters, most of whom at least have a "track record" of posting on WCMB. What really gets things out of hand on here is when people create a "new" account just to troll on this board.

[ 10-29-2010, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: 1000 Masks But No Jobs ]

--------------------
Your back-to-back (2009 and 2010) Too Tall Cup Champion.

chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure Mark was opening this for responses. Since I now know, I'll simply say, thank you Mark.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aim:

I would suggest that those who are most offended by the forum just stay away. Seems pretty simple to me...

Agreed. Doesn't sound like rocket science to me.

I'm not knocking the mods here because it seems like a thankless jobs, but the guy who caused this mess should have been banned several times. I also agree with 100 Mask that the core posters are tame.

[ 10-29-2010, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Blue Thunder ]

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Gee, then maybe you should have reported his posts 'several times', rather than the zero times I'm aware of.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

AGAIN:

quote:
The bottom line is, please work WITH us here, rather than complaining later.

--------------------

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gee, then maybe you should have reported his posts 'several times', rather than the zero times I'm aware of.

I agree with you that this thread shouldn't turn into a debate. This is not my intent, but I feel that I have to make this point. He received warnings from LK and I believe Travlr. From what I've seen in the past, his posts should have received a banning and not a warning. Again, I agree with you and Trav that you can't be everywhere. If you doubt what I said, please go and look at the hate he spewed at some of the posters he disagreed with.

[ 10-29-2010, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Blue Thunder ]

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

KingGregzilla
Member # 5023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingGregzilla   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that both sides of the argument should of had some faced some type of sanctions.

--------------------
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Gregzilla!
Gregzilla!
Gregzilla!

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Thunder:
quote:

I agree with you that this thread shouldn't turn into a debate. This is not my intent, but I feel that I have to make this point. He received warnings from LK and I believe Travlr. From what I've seen in the past, his posts should have received a banning and not a warning. Again, I agree with you and Trav that you can't be everywhere. If you doubt what I said, please go and look at the hate he spewed at some of the posters he disagreed with.
Fair enough.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

And yet again a 'new poster' has been banned and his post deleted. I warn one last time: this thread will NOT turn into a trollfest.

--------------------

Member # 1443

quote:
Originally posted by KingGregzilla:
I think that both sides of the argument should of had some faced some type of sanctions.

The one who initiated it did.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

That's enough.

--------------------

Open Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations