WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » The Mark Markley Memorial Bar & Grill » RIP Mark Markley (Mark from WA) (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: RIP Mark Markley (Mark from WA)
Malfunction Junction from AB
Member # 4768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malfunction Junction from AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just logged on for the first time this week and saw this posting at the top of the page...

I am stunned and saddened by the loss of one of the truly great members of the WCMB family.

Sarah, if you happen to come across this post, please know that my thoughts and prayers tonight will be for you, your family, and those of us who may have only known your father through this board, but were nonetheless touched by his wit, his passion and his compassion.

If the measure of a man's life is judged by how many other lives were made better by his presence, then Mark Markley was truly a giant among us.

IP: Logged
Primal Nitro from NY
Member # 6170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primal Nitro from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malfunction Junction from AB:

If the measure of a man's life is judged by how many other lives were made better by his presence, then Mark Markley was truly a giant among us.

No truer words can be spoken! Thank you Malfunction for that post.

--------------------
I used to be Dancazman, but I have transformed into Primal Nitro!

Plowboy from WA
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plowboy from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really awesome to see all these posts honoring such a stellar person. He so very much deserves this.

I loved talking to Mark about Portland wrestling and silly things, in general. He was one of the people who would always provide insight, inspiration or just a few laughs. You could always count on him, rain or shine, to be there and keep the party going. Not having him here seems... un-natural.

He was the kind of guy who could fit into any conversation and hang. He could put his point across with authority, never stepping on anybody's toes. And no matter what he said, be it serious or humorous, it was respected by all. His love of life was incredible. I so admired (and even envied) these qualities.

When the weather cooled, I was going to ship him a box of Ice Cubes chocolate candies (which don't travel well in the heat). Our conversation on candy bars sparked this, of course. He was the kind of guy you would willingly do things for *just because.* He really deserved all the good things in life.

I've been sipping PBR every night, watching a bit of Portland Wrestling, thinking about a great guy. This weekend I will hunt down some Rainier and watch some of the tapes he made me.

You always made me feel like I was still in Washington, near my friends and family. You reminded me of happy times in my life, and provided me with many more.

The wrestling community that he so dearly loved, from fans to wrestlers, themselves, loved him just as much. I think it's wonderful that everything came full-circle for him as a wrestling fan.

We all miss you, dude.

York Foundation
Member # 8307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for York Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that I may just be a new guy here, and that I don't have many posts or know many people. But being a long time lurker, coming onto the board and reading this is a shocker.

In the few post I did have, I got to interact with Mark a few times and he seemed like a really fun-loving guy. He was one of the people that made me feel welcome at this place. And from everything I've read here and from his other posts, he was just a universally liked guy here and there is no reason for it to be otherwise.

I may not have known the guy as well as many of you, but it speaks volumes for him that so many from those who talked to him regularly to those who only knew him from a post here and there have nothing but the highest regard for the man.

RIP buddy

BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan
Member # 5853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BVRF05: Eddie Gilbert Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

-Mark wrote this when I posted some videos back in August 18th with this one being one of em

Grand Funk doing "Inside Looking Out" is always a blast to watch.

[Smile]

-This one's for you buddy [Smile]

--------------------
Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have ~ James Baldwin

I will never apologize for who I am! Do you really think I care what you think about me? You obviously don't know me.

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rest In Peace, Mark From WA. (And thanks to Mask and Medical Lamp for informing me of his untimely passing).

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Zachary from CA
Member # 2754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary from CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes our own lives get busy, and we neglect to get in touch with our friends, or, in the case of Mark, let them know how much we appreciate them.

I'd been planning to post Eric Weber's 1970s classic (mp3) "How to Pick Up Girls" for a few weeks now, but I just never quite found the time. I forgot one of the rules of life, which is that we never find the time; we have to make the time. And I didn't make the time.

I think Mark would have liked it. I thought of him when I found the link.

Hello, Doc. Good to see you. I appreciate you, too.

[ 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Zachary from CA ]

doc
Member # 5897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Zach. Likewise, my friend.

--------------------
"All we have left is our memories, Lou. It's all we have."
--Count Billy Varga to Lou Thesz at a long-ago CAC banquet at the Sportsmens Lodge in Sherman Oaks, California

Daddy Dewdrop
Member # 3960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daddy Dewdrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I first posted yesterday, I find my tears turning to laughter as I remember all the great posts by Mark over the years...the man was not only a nice guy, he was just plain FUNNY!

Reading through all the tributes here, I'll bet Rainer Beer is seeing their best sales in years! I know I'll be hoisting a few tonight in honor of our friend. Godspeed, Mark.

diabolical brain-washington heights
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diabolical brain-washington heights   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Berger From WA:
Thanks for posting the Mark from WA photo, Baron. Not having met the man and not having seen a legitimate picture of him, I could only imagine how he truly appeared. As I said early on in this sad and sobering thread, I was genuinely looking forward to making his acquaintance on November 3rd in Bellevue. [Frown]

Something that always seemed to tickle Mark was this clipping from the Pen Pal section in an old Apter mag. From time-to-time, I (and a few others) would post it to tweak Mark, trying to get him to admit he really was the same guy seen here. Of course he wasn't, but it was the source of some good back-and-forth exchanges that inevitably ended in gales of laughter. Which is a large part of what made Mark so damn special to us all, no?

Anyway, for what may well prove to be the last time, here's the clipping:

-

Go to the link to Mark's daughter's MySpace page posted I believe on page 2 of this thread. On Sarah's MySpace page, click on "See all Friends" and you will see the link to Mark's sister's MySpace page. There is a pic of Mark on there with sis and mom. Not a very good pic, but something nonetheless

--------------------
myspace.com/acrossdotave

A new feature film coming soon: "Across Dot Ave."

Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diabolical brain-washington heights   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doc:
Hello, Zach. Likewise, my friend.

Good Doctah... Hope the travels are suiting you well.

--------------------
myspace.com/acrossdotave

Gil Wilcox
Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Wilcox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,

RIP.
I'll miss your sense of humor.

justahamandegger
Member # 5447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justahamandegger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very sorry to hear about Mark's passing. I will miss him.

I think a little bit of the board past with him.

PPK
Member # 5907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PPK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW,

I did not know Mark as well as the rest of you, but he helped me whenever i needed to know about portland wrestling for the wcfl. He even commented on how he liked some of my shows, this really sucks, my condolences to his family. RIP Mark

PPK

Stan Kovic from WA (via BC)
Member # 3298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Kovic from WA (via BC)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the diabolical brain from RI:
Go to the link to Mark's daughter's MySpace page posted I believe on page 2 of this thread. On Sarah's MySpace page, click on "See all Friends" and you will see the link to Mark's sister's MySpace page. There is a pic of Mark on there with sis and mom. Not a very good pic, but something nonetheless

BVRFan posted the pic of Mark with his family a couple of pages back in this thread.
Moondog Fluffy
Member # 8168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moondog Fluffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BaronVonRaschkeFan05 From IA:
-For those of you that wanted to see a picture of Mark I found one on his sister Lisa's myspace page that was pretty recent it says it was from August 3rd of this year

-

-The first woman is his sister Lisa and the older woman is his mom and then there's Mark and I am not sure who the other guy is probably a brother

-He's the guy with the t-shirt and denim shirt over it in the photo

He looked a lot younger than I would have thought, which makes his death seem even more unexpected. Thanks for posting that Baron, its nice to put a face together with the personality.
Madison Carter from TX
Member # 1166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madison Carter from TX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see this here yet.

Mark with his sister.

-

--------------------
Twitter: @madisoncarter76

Freakin' Awesome Network

"What the hell's worth doing in this world if it doesn't have a price to pay?" - Bob Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by brawler2711:
Virgil has worked with all the greats

Scot V from TX
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scot V from TX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just miss my friend. I am sure I am not the only one sending out best thoughts to his kids. I cannot find any Rainier beer here in TX but I will put on "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. (Yes, on LP) and put Beavis & Butthead in the DVD.
I hope wherever you are now that they have The Ramones on the jukebox and rasslin on the TV.

Colonel Angus
Member # 4100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colonel Angus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man. I came to the board last night, read a few posts, but mainly read some of Mark's old posts. I couldn't bring myself to post, read through all of the messages, or even continue from fighting back tears. I think I went to bed about 8:30, which is unusual for me.

I don't think I've ever felt so profoundly affected by news like this about someone I didn't even know. When I think about it, I think that's the true testement to Mark's character that came through about him. He wasn't just words on a computer monitor, he had a personality that left a lasting impression on a whole bunch of people who'd never even met him. When even "strangers" can tell you're a good guy, that's quite an achievement.

Still doesn't feel the same without him here. I'm still bummed. [Frown]

Old School Drew from NY
Member # 1981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old School Drew from NY         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to wrap my head around this. Never knew Mark personally but use to joke with him about the age difference we had on several occasions. I am still in shock he is gone at such a young age. 50 is the age you get busy living, not get busy dying. I've just been feeling so awkward about this. It's like losing a family member, a distant one that you never see but talk to on a semi-daily basis.

This sucks. Tonight I am doing nothing but being "psychadelisized." This one is for you Mark.

loadedboot (originally from MS)
Member # 3966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loadedboot (originally from MS)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driving home from work today, I put "For Those About to Rock" in the tape player. Seemed appropriate. It didn't take long before my eyes were full of tears. This one's gonna hurt for a long time.

--------------------
"Nothin' in this boot but a foot and five toes!" - Dr X

Shockabilly
Member # 6415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shockabilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madison from Australia:

Mark with his sister.

-

Good Lord. That's exactly how I pictured him.
carpetbeggar
Member # 5768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carpetbeggar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shockabilly From WA:
quote:
Originally posted by Madison from Australia:

Mark with his sister.

-

Yeah that's cool as that is also how I pictured Mark...More so the one in the other pic with his Sister and Mother.
Ah darn he will be and is already missed.

--------------------
闘魂 ビンタ FTW

Inoki is less than or equal to 一番 Baba, who is greater than Ichiban Hogan

"I just love seeing people beat with chains, and whips."- Johnny Valentine

MattSarz
Member # 2836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattSarz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark was also a big fan of this album below and its one of the few things that I had in common with his musical tastes.

-

Pretty sure Mark had a heart of gold.

--------------------
"They hate us because we make so much money, then they throw money at us. It doesn't make sense. Throw me your W-2, throw me your electric bill."
--Andy Van Slyke

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP Mark. [Frown]
The Wardrobe from UK
Member # 7289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Wardrobe from UK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shocker.

He was a funny guy as has already been mentioned, I'll miss him around here.

RIP Mark

GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah, me too. I think it is the smile...it kinda came through in his posting style.

[ 09-27-2007, 03:28 AM: Message edited by: GreyGhost from MS ]

The Street Fightin Man
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Street Fightin Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyGhost from MS:
quote:

Yeah, me too. I think it is the smile...it kinda came through in his posting style.
For everyone who had the opportunity to know him in real life, I wasn't that blessed, unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpRuKyksxks

--------------------
NEW QUOTE:

"As far as they are concerned, I am a time traveler.A man out of time, lost, trying to find a way home. My journey, one most of them could never imagine. The truth of my appearing among them never suspected...As far as they know, I, the time traveler, have gone home...Have left them to their lives, never to be there for them again.

That could NOT be further from the TRUTH.

There is a WAR coming...and with it, many dark times.

Captain Marvel would not leave his adopted world in it's time of need. Captain Marvel would protect it at ALL costs. No matter what once my body once was...I am the sworn protector of this world and her people.

I will STAND between the coming attack and the innocents who cannot fight for themselves.

I WILL protect the world through the coming darkness, for I am Mar-Vell of the Kree.

I am...

CAPTAIN MARVEL. - Captain Marvel 2008 (Reed)

"In this land of the dead, I will stand strong."- me (something I'm working on)

Spacefalcon1
Member # 7320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spacefalcon1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been a long time lurker here and always looked forward to reading Marks posts. May you rest in peace, you will be missed here.
Sapphire
Member # 6202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your continued support.

We were watching family videos last night, and my boyfriend thought you guys would like to see a recent version of Mark, so we took a still from our most recent Family Day reunion. It was about a month ago, and he's got hay in his hair from after the traditional "dive-into-an-enormous-pile-of-hay-and-grab-money-while-elbowing-your-relatives" game. [Smile]

-

There's also a couple of great pictures of Dad from many years ago, playing the "Jumping Game" with us... it just showed how willing he was to take punishment for our benefit. He would sit on the couch with pillows on his lap, and we would run across the room as fast as we could and dive into his lap while using our pointy knees and elbows as much as possible. I may post that one later if people want. There's a couple of great ones of us in mid-air and Dad with an "Aieee!" face. [Smile]

Also, if you guys are still gathering on Nov. 3rd, Rick (my boyfriend) and I were interested in attending, if you would have us.

[ 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Sapphire ]

--------------------
Mark from WA... "junior"?
http://firesprite.deviantart.com

Member # 5520

quote:
Originally posted by Sapphire:
thtraditional "dive-into-an-enormous-pile-of-hay-and-grab-money-while-elbowing-your-relatives" game. [Smile]

That's exactly the kind of thing your dad would've said. Apple/tree and all of that.

I looked at your artwork on your site. Very promising. I am an art school grad myself. I love the taco cooperation pic. [Smile]

--------------------
myspace.com/acrossdotave

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks so much for your continued support.

We were watching family videos last night, and my boyfriend thought you guys would like to see a recent version of Mark, so we took a still from our most recent Family Day reunion. It was about a month ago, and he's got hay in his hair from after thtraditional "dive-into-an-enormous-pile-of-hay-and-grab-money-while-elbowing-your-relatives" game. [Smile]

For some reason the picture came out a little squashed, and if we figure that out we'll post a better one.

Also, if you guys are still gathering on Nov. 3rd, Rick (my boyfriend) and I were interested in attending, if you would have us.

Sarah,

I'm sure I could speak for everyone and say it would be an honor to see you guys there!

Sapphire
Member # 6202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
thtraditional "dive-into-an-enormous-pile-of-hay-and-grab-money-while-elbowing-your-relatives" game. [Smile]

That's exactly the kind of thing your dad would've said. Apple/tree and all of that.

I looked at your artwork on your site. Very promising. I am an art school grad myself. I love the taco cooperation pic. [Smile]

Well, thank you! I'm in my 5th year, due to the fact that I took three years at WWU and then decided it sucked and moved to Digipen. Art's definitely cathartic at the moment, so I might post a couple more things soon.

The taco cooperation I made as a shirt, also, at www.cafepress.com/happyfoods .

--------------------
Mark from WA... "junior"?
http://firesprite.deviantart.com

Member # 5520

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, thank you! I'm in my 5th year, due to the fact that I took three years at WWU and then decided it sucked and moved to Digipen. Art's definitely cathartic at the moment, so I might post a couple more things soon.

The taco cooperation I made as a shirt, also, at www.cafepress.com/happyfoods .

You should shop those tee shirt designs around. They are great. You can make some $$$$. I can totally see something like that selling really well at like Urban Outfitters or the like.

--------------------
myspace.com/acrossdotave

Rev Bucky from S.OR
Member # 1287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Bucky from S.OR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pictures of Mark really hit home. We could have easily passed for brothers. Man I am going to miss Mark for a long time, as long as I have left.

Sarah, and Steve, I just want you to know that your Dad was the finest kind, and that you all are chips off the block!

It's with a strange mixture of tears and smiles that I write this. I am so sad he is gone, yet I know that I am a better person for having the chance to converse with him, and I know that he is in a better place, because if anyone is, it's Mark!

Bye brother, know you're rocking with the Ramones, waiting for the matches to start, and that you are OK, because you always were!

--------------------
"80's music is so 2002." Candace on Phineas and Ferb

John Waters said:"if everyone likes your art,its not art"

Mark788
Member # 4659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark788   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences.
Freeman
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

I don't know what else to say.

This really, really sucks. [Frown]

Civilized Fool
Member # 6582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Civilized Fool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy **** . Been out of comission for a couple days waiting for Best Buy to fix/replace my monitor, I stop by to see what's going on here and I see this. Man, this sucks.

RIP Mark.

Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah, please let us know what you guys want to do about a memorial, or if you want the NW gathering to be it, and what you would like as far as flowers or donations or even if you guys need any help.
CWFmark from FL
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CWFmark from FL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BaronVonRaschkeFan05 From IA:
-For those of you that wanted to see a picture of Mark I found one on his sister Lisa's myspace page that was pretty recent it says it was from August 3rd of this year

-

-The first woman is his sister Lisa and the older woman is his mom and then there's Mark and I am not sure who the other guy is probably a brother

-He's the guy with the t-shirt and denim shirt over it in the photo

LOL - that looks like the Cream t-shirt I picked up for him when I saw them at MSG two years ago. We talked quite a bit about that show. I can't believe it's been almost two years since that..where does time go.

The weird thing and actually pretty cool when you think about it, Mark will always be here with us in cyberspace. Unless something happens to this messageboard we will always have that bond with him and his words and thoughts will always be with us...kind of like having one's diary if you will.

Sarah and Lisa - please let us know what may be needed to reiterate what Mask said and offered.

Greg
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

[ 09-27-2007, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: CWFmark from FL ]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations