WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » The Mark Markley Memorial Bar & Grill » RIP Mark Markley (Mark from WA) (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: RIP Mark Markley (Mark from WA)
tommy gun
Member # 138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommy gun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so sad. He always was polite, respectful, and informative in his posts. A nice guy.
IP: Logged
Colonel Angus
Member # 4100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colonel Angus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to double post, but since my first comment and reaction, I'm sitting here thinking.

I had no idea Mark was even sick. I just took it for granted that every day there would be new posts from Mark. Every day he'd just be here. And it may seem silly because this is "just" an Internet message board, but had we only known that this time was coming, all of Mark's posts would have been that much more special.

I went back and read some of the Ak-Bar Forum posts he'd made recently, and his good nature just always came across, despite anything that he may have been going through. He was truely one of the classier people you'd hope to encounter in cyberspace. Things won't be the same without Mark as a contributor.

I really feel for the family and hope they're handling this as well as could be expected. And if there's anything that folks at WCMB can collectively do for the family, count me in.

Mr. A
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny...you find out someone you never met...thousands of miles away...who's real name you didn't even know has died...and it's like you've lost a long time friend...I sadder than I've been in a while...not seeing posts from Mark will be very, very strange...my thoughts are with his family...Godspeed my friend...we'll all see you at that Great American Bash in the hereafter one day...I'm copying a link to one of Mark's posts...this was Mark's Friday thing for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the month...as I said in my post...I really did like the tradition...maybe we can keep it going as a Friday thing for the board.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=080252#000001

[ 09-25-2007, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Ambivalent ]

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The board won't be the same without him. Mark was one of the cornerstones of this little community here. Most of us never met him, but he'll be missed by all of us.

RIP. [Frown]

--------------------
"Just because you ain't paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you." - Steve Earle

*Lionheart* DaKrow52 ScarletKnights
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Lionheart* DaKrow52 ScarletKnights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn....The only thing I could do at this time is say a prayer for Mark and his son/family. I know we're all going to miss him around here, especially in the college football section. Just such a pleasure to post/converse with.

R.I.P. Mark. God Bless and Godspeed. Best thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Joe P.

--------------------
Dan P.- USMC, 11/18/05, 3rd Batallion- Kilo Company

6th grade is so bogus

"Playboy Buddy Rose lost weight the old fashioned way: by dumping laundry detergent on himself and turning on a fan."
-RD Reynolds

Rev Bucky from S.OR
Member # 1287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Bucky from S.OR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really have no idea what to say. I wish you well Mark, and we will all really miss you here.

I wish there was something I could say or do.

Sleep well Mark Markley, it really won't be the same without you, but anytime anybody ever mentions Foghat, The Ramones, or Grand Funk, I'll be thinking of you man, with a smirk and a tear.

--------------------
"80's music is so 2002." Candace on Phineas and Ferb

John Waters said:"if everyone likes your art,its not art"

Scot V from TX
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scot V from TX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Col. Angus. I think you speak for the emotions that we are all going through. If we can give any sort of comfort to his kids .........I am at a loss for words. Just feel like I have lost a friend.
Lance Goodthrust from NL
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lance Goodthrust from NL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG. I can't believe it. By all accounts a great, great guy.

My heart goes out to his family. A big loss for us but nothing compared to theirs. From their comments he seemed like a great Dad.

RIP Mark. [Frown]

RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green Squash:
people say this is not real life. but we come to know each other here. well enough. well enough that this is a death of a friend to us. to me.

May he only know care and comfort and love

goodbye, Mark.

Well said, Laury.

--------------------
"... let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"- Strong Bad

"STOP KICKING ME!!"- Christopher Daniels @ Unbreakable '05

... I believe in Auburn, and love it.

Swimming is just floating forward

MIDNIGHT RAIDER
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MIDNIGHT RAIDER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much of what I want to say ahs already been siad very eloquently.
I too always enjoyed reading Marks posts adn know that he had a good time visiting with us here on WCMB. I just hope that what we did here helped him enjoy his all too brief life. It really oputs this board into perspective. It's almost like CHEERS. And in some small way that makes this board important. I am saddened by the loss of our compadre, but I am more than touched and amazed at the outpouring of TRUE emotion sentiment and AFFECTION.
I pray for Marks family. I shed true tears when reading his daughters heartfelt loss. I truly do prayer for her and her brother.
As Port said, Goodbye my friend.

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't even think of what to write.
I want to echo what I read Mr. Ambivalent wrote.
It's not going to be the same around here.

Man, my heart hurts, and I didn't even know this man outside of reading his words on this screen.

I appreciated his insight and his humor. Would someone please convey the feeling of the members of this board to his family?
He was part of our family....too.

Just don't know what to say....his family and friends will be mentioned in my prayers for days to come.

Rest in Peace, Mark from WA, you WILL be missed.

Truth is you already are.

J.D. McKay, Jr.

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I am just shocked! Mark was someone I considerd a friend. We didn't see each other too much, but we were recently on the phone for 2 hours or so. He spoke a bit about his health problems, and my heart goes out to his son who I've met as well.

Just last month I ran into him at the Ted Nuggent concert!

You will be missed buddy!

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by j.d. mckay:
Would someone please convey the feeling of the members of this board to his family?

I sent the kids the link. They're both registered here.
GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I:
quote:
Originally posted by j.d. mckay:
Would someone please convey the feeling of the members of this board to his family?

I sent the kids the link. They're both registered here.
I hope they read the thread, whether they choose to post or not. I also hope it gives them some measure of comfort to see how well respected and genuinely liked their dad was by so many people who knew him only over the internet.
Wanderlust Diaz from SIU
Member # 4108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wanderlust Diaz from SIU         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Weiner McButt:
A nice guy who never flamed.

The only time I remember him going off (and he had every right to) was when some scrub told him he got ripped off and paid too much for the used car he bought.

RIP Mark

A WCMB Hall of Famer

hehe... was the night of his drunken rant a month or few back? He got grumpy one night, and it was some fun. [Big Grin] even in that... definately a fun guy to have on the board.

sigh.

rick

[ 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Wanderlust Silva ]

--------------------
"(Nick) Diaz marches to the beat of his own drum. In his case, the bongos." Mike Goldberg

The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)
Member # 166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Outlaw J.D. McKay (better?,,,)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mask - if there is anything the Wrestling Classics Message Board community intends to in regards to honoring Mark Markley, count me in.

and in the words of Portalesman,

again - "Goodbye friend".

j.d. out-

--------------------
"Marriage is the one normal thing that Flair tries to do, but he sucks at it" - Nickla Roberts, in a SLAM Wrestling article. I add, "He ain't alone."

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1481967783&ref=tn_tnmn

CS
Member # 4568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn... [Frown]

I didn't know Mark at all, but he was definitely one of the staples of this board. I especially feel for his family. Something like this really slaps cold water in your face about the fragility of life.

I'll miss reading his posts here. R.I.P. Mark.

[ 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: CS ]

--------------------
"Adversity introduces a man to himself." - Arn Anderson

Stan Kovic from WA (via BC)
Member # 3298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan Kovic from WA (via BC)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, God, no.

Mark and I constantly traded pm's over the last few years. He was truly the nicest guy on the board. I was looking forward to seeing him at the PNW get together.

This just hurts so much.

My condolences to Mark's family.

NTC
Member # 4128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NTC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With tears rolling down my face, I really can't believe this is happening.

Also being from the west coast, I would always talk to him late at night when he couldnt sleep and I was at work. Definately a solid human being.

My prayers go out to his family.

Sheik Abdullah Flair
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheik Abdullah Flair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew him except for this board, but I will say that he was a good poster here and he will be missed. My sympathies to his family.
fugaziosbourne
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm already missing those late night im's talking about Devo The Ramones and the Supersuckers. Seemed like a really kind and decent guy.
Klon, Melbourne
Member # 6206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klon, Melbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This news is totally shocking

Mark from WA was a mainstay on this board.A dedicated fan of our beloved old style pro wrestling.His knowledge was so vast,he was always so willing to share

I personally am much saddened by the news of his passing

One of my favorite movie quotes, from The Wizard of Oz.

"A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others"

Peace be with you brother

I hope to see you on the other side

--------------------
" It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it " - Aristotle

Tom Burke
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Burke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark will be missed by all of us here and others that he touched in his life. BONG !! RIP Mark !
Zachary from CA
Member # 2754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary from CA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mark.

I'll miss you.

Your soul has been... psychedelicized.

[ 09-25-2007, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Zachary from CA ]

Marty Goldstein from WA
Member # 1918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Goldstein from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in shock.

I probably responded to more of his posts particularly about All Star Wrestling, than to those of any other poster on this board. Anytime I saw that Mark had posted a thread I always looked it over.

I'm another one of the people here who never spoke to him but regarded Mark as a class guy and armed with wealth of good conversation about the subjects out generation was interested in, like the aforementioned bands, candy bars and stand-up. I valued his opinion and his memories.

I lost both of my own parents between 18 and 22 so I know how difficult this circumstance can be for his children. If there is anything we as a community can do to ease the pain and burden for his family count me in.

Marty

--------------------
www.citycircus.ca
Canadian politics and civic affairs and sometimes wrestling.

Twitter: @TGCTS
Read my stories on Slam! Wrestling too!

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn this is just completely heartbreaking. It was my good fortune to have been able to meet Mark several times. He was truly every bit as nice in person as he seemed to be online. Many thoughts are with his kids. He came up to go out to dinner with Gene Kiniski one time and you could see the kid who was a fan come out. Mark had lots of little kid in him, which is why this is so hard to take.

Blessings to the Markley family and I will miss you Mark.

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA
Member # 2212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RockyRacoon War Damn Eagle from GA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary:

Your soul has been... psychedelicized.

Amen.

--------------------
"... let's get this train wreck a-rollin'!"- Strong Bad

"STOP KICKING ME!!"- Christopher Daniels @ Unbreakable '05

... I believe in Auburn, and love it.

Swimming is just floating forward

flowmotion
Member # 5340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flowmotion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. I'm not really a regular here, but Mark From WA was one of my favorites. Godspeed, and Go Seahawks.
Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA
Member # 5559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erndogg12 from Gratwick, USA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even know what to say. I only knew the guy as the poster on here, and I'm completely crushed. I thoroughly enjoyed his posts and his sense of humor.
RIP Mark.

--------------------
"Tito Santana is like a cue ball -- the more you strike him, the more English you get out of him," Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

RIng Around The Northwest
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RIng Around The Northwest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such sad news. I met Mark once and he was just as solid a guy in person as he came across over the internet. A real love for wrestling and life. RIP

--------------------
RATNW The sheet The Boys Read

Misterrasslin65
Member # 7839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misterrasslin65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark was the best! When the WCMB'ers used to get together in Yahoo or AOL chats he could always be counted on to crack me up.
My best friend's dad died today also. He was like a 2nd father to me. It has been a sucky day all around.
See you later,Mark. I am pretty sure there is a pretty cool concert schedule up there. Enjoy.
Back to lurking now.........

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this thread about 20 minutes ago and found myself in tears at Mark's passing. Here's a guy who had such a magnetic personality that it even showed through in the truly impersonal medium of an internet message board. Here's a guy who, even though I've never met him in the flesh, I feel like I have known forever. A guy who is, technically speaking, a stranger and yet I'm shedding tears with the news of his death.

That says a lot about him. As a poster. As a person.

While I've never shared the same musical tastes as Mark, I always got such a kick out of how excited he became when posting links to classic rock footage. And all of his loving references to Portland area wrestling single-handedly spurred me to become interested in it... and I've become a die hard Beauregarde fan as a result.

I'll always come to the WCMB. You guys are my friends... my extended family of sorts. But I'll be honest; knowing that there won't be any more crazy Mark jokes or Grand Funk video links or Portland posts from him, I'll never think of this place in the same way again.

Thanks for all the wonderful and vivid memories, Mark. You were one of a kind and the world is a much poorer place in your absence.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cliche "Only the good die young" may sound like BS, but in my almost 39 years I've found it to be the absolute truth. My Dad was 47 when he passed, and Mark was 50. Even though I only knew Mark from a few internet boards, I could sense he was a gentle, funny, decent guy - just like my father.

May his soul rest in peace.

Guerin Shea

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Handsome Rob from LA
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Handsome Rob from LA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading the forums long before I was an actual member. I never knew Mark's full name, never PM'ed him, only through this board and reading his posts did I have any contact with him. I have been reading the posts on this thread and I started to cry. If there is a better place beyond this world I hope I am allowed in so I can finally meet Mark from WA.

God Bless you and your family

--------------------
"Yeah I found the love of my life. But I killed her dog before I had the chance to tell her." Sam Elliott from the movie Shakedown

sam the lion from WA
Member # 1154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam the lion from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How well can yøu get to know someone on the internet or meeting a few times I do not know but I think Mark would want you all to know:

1. Yes, he was that nice a guy in person.

2. Go and find yøurselves some Rainier Beer and drink a toast in his honor.

3. White Center, where he spent part of his childhood is a tough place, and it could not have been an easy childhood but he found humor in it.

4. He loved this place.

5. Take the time to stop and tell the folks closest to yøu that you love them. Mark loved his family and I would bet that the last thing he said to his kids was he loved them.

The guy will be missed.

[ 09-25-2007, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: sam the lion ]

--------------------
The magic, that is on those tapes, you don't own THAT!!

Reid Rothchild

GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin
Member # 1443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GShea from TN loves Sarah Palin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw his last post here was on my Ken Burns "The War" documentary thread.

NOW I'm crying...

God Bless You, buddy. Thanks.

--------------------
"Bell time, and heeeeeeeeerrrreeeeeee we go Davey..........."

"Whose woods are these I think I know." - Robert Frost on a Ugandan safari

"When I was born, my Momma looked at me and she said 'Oh God, he looks like a saddlebag face!'. But she said 'Saddlebag face, I love you!'." - Blackjack Mulligan

"YOU ARE DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!" - Plowboy Frazier

"Perfessional rassling toughness!" - Bill Mercer

"This is the greatest card in the history of Nashville!" - Nick Gulas

Atlas Anaxis the Neck Row Butcher
Member # 483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlas Anaxis the Neck Row Butcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the last thing I want to do is make this post about "me"--in a generalized sense--I do recall starting a "Mismatch Ring Music with Wrestler" thread. And when I reminded myself that it was indeed Mark who contributed so many pieces of laugter to it, my heart truly sank.
I'd like to think that he was responsible for helping me post on the Net with more humor, grace and succinctness than if I were to rely on my own sense of humor, misdirected and misguided as it can sometimes be.
I could also perhaps add a gratuitous "yo también" to everyone else's memories of how thoroughly edifying his wrestling posts were. But that seems not enough for some reason I can't quite apprehend.
I feel as if I've just lost an older cousin whom I've just started to bond with after a very long time...and the unwelcome identification I can make with that from a real-world perspective stinks more than ever.

--------------------
"Heroes ride...goats walk."
--Charlie Brown

Brian Elliott
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Elliott   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awful, awful news. The shock is the same as I've felt when some pro wrestlers have died recently. [Eek!]

RIP Mark, from your WC family. You will be missed.

--------------------
Brian Elliott is a British journalist, covering soccer, MMA, and pro wrestling. He has written for the likes of the AP, Sports Illustrated, and Yahoo! Sports, and is currently the editor of pro wrestling monthly Fighting Spirit Magazine..

Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano
Member # 2127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ta-Kargol, Lord Of The Volcano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

Nothing that can be added. RIP, Mark. Ave atque vale, as the old fighters used to say.

Playboy Dain
Member # 2860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Playboy Dain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sad news, I could always count on Mark being online late at night when I was, too. Had some good laughs, I'm sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family.

[ 09-25-2007, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Road Warrior Dissdain ]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations