WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Virtual Wrestling » WCFL Discussion Thread 2018 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WCFL Discussion Thread 2018
cwalt
Member # 3615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cwalt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use local Tv for my B shows and Fox Sports South & Southwest for my big show on Friday at 9:00 P.M and one live show every two months as my PPV.
IP: Logged
CokeMan
Member # 125331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CokeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, Power Pro Wrestling has a deal pending with RayComm, parent company of KAIT, to air the program on the other channels the company owns in a non-live format at the discretion of those stations. The particulars of that deal will be released soon. For now, PPW is available live every Saturday morning on KAIT (Jboro), KARK (Little Rock) and KHOG (Fayetteville).

[ 02-10-2018, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: CokeMan ]

The Jack of Diamonds
Member # 47538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Jack of Diamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New South uses syndication and Fox Sports South.
jp1985
Member # 113226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I think in regards to the fill in, there doesn't seem to be much to warrant a change right now. If the discussion on that heats up again, it can be looked at. Maybe once more people have had direct experience with it, we can get a better idea on where more people stand.

It doesn't seem like it's leading to less nominations or anything as is based on conversations of what might be on the way and recent activity.

jp1985
Member # 113226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CokeMan:
I've already passed along my suggestion in regards to female under contract slots being added to the rosters of those super sat and above.
I'm thinking four for super sat and above and two for sat.

Since this came and went, I did PM CokeMan at the time to suggest he wait until the other stuff died down a bit, which seems to have happened ...

Here's the issues I have with the idea being women specific ...

Very few people are using women wrestlers right now, emphasis on the end part because I do think that will change in coming years. There's already a huge benefit to those that do by even having the ability to book up to 8 of them each month. That's potentially 4 more matches per card that could be run over somebody not using them at all. I was against 8 for that reason, but conceded because nobody was booking them and maybe it would help generate activity. Plus, if somebody is important, there are roster spots now that can be used on them. A male manager or a female manager is still a manager regardless of sex. Same with a wrestler.

If you give people guaranteed spots as suggested, some people will just add women for no reason other than because the spots are there, so it may backfire on those that do use them. "Worst case scenario" - everybody gets 4 spots as a primary in time, times 16, that's potentially 64 women getting signed. Anybody using more than 4 now, it pretty much ensures the back half would be signed by somebody else just because they can and the number available that will ever realistically get booked is a lot more limited in 1998.

Also, if women are given specific spots - do manager spots and main roster spots become male specific? They'd pretty much have to based on reasoning of doing that in the first place. It also prioritizes a women's division over somebody else running a junior heavyweight division, a hardcore division, etc. and gives an argument why that should be done.

On the flip side, the logical response is give everybody more general roster spots because that's something that benefits everybody rather than just giving people using women more spots. Hypothetical example - primary gets 32, 4 managers, the women goes down to 5. The problem there is I think in time, most changing women over would just end up using them all on men anyway and we'd end up back in the same boat discussion wise. I will say I'm more in favor of something along those lines, but I think to get the women that are there used and used well, the current scenario is still the best one.

Again, just my thoughts. This isn't me throwing down the hammer or anything and saying discussion over on my part lol. If an overwhelming amount feel one way with regards to changing it, I'm open to the idea of trying it out. This exact topic was discussed by the AB though ahead of bumping from 4 to 8 for the new year, but that was also just the 3 of us going back and forth on the topic without additional input.

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts on boxer vs wrestler matches in 98 or mma matches. i'm toying with the idea of a non sanctioned tyson ufc style match this summer would that bother anyone? Also that would lead to 2 appearances for him this year.

--------------------
free

jp1985
Member # 113226

For a match, I would think no. The reason he even did this in part was because he was suspended from boxing, and had he wrestled, he would've probably killed any chance at getting his suspension rescinded.

Using somebody that never did anything in wrestling in a non wrestling spot is one thing within reason, but somebody that didn't wrestle at all, wrestling, just because they appeared in some capacity, it's a pretty hard sell. I mean Pete Rose took a tombstone on the same show which was more offense than Tyson took move wise ...

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i see both sides just wanted a ruling on such

--------------------
free

jp1985
Member # 113226

An alternate idea to Tyson I'll throw out there ... although it may be a bit much.

Rather than multiple appearances for 1 company that picks him up leading to a ref spot or whatever, just make him available for 1 appearance to everybody on the Bash tour? (referee, corner man, just an appearance where he KOs somebody, whatever) I think it's overkill myself on the value he brings since it all ends up negating itself, but at the same time, The Bash is in part a contest with that vote for best show bit - who can best use him could help distinguish somebody from the rest rather than just 1 person being able to use him and that's it.

Commish from California
Member # 128796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Commish from California     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe expand it bit - give promoters an option to use Tyson, Rodman, Karl Malone or Kevin Greene for Bash stops?

But restrict it so promoters can only use one total for their territory. That way celebs can be involved if people want, and there's a variety of them to choose from.

[ 02-15-2018, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Commish from California ]

jp1985
Member # 113226

... Jay Leno lol

Yeah, that could work too.

Commish from California
Member # 128796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Commish from California     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jp1985:
... Jay Leno lol

Yeah, that could work too.

I definitely deliberately left out Leno. haha
jp1985
Member # 113226

I could see a couple using him. In the face of only using one though, seems unlikely.

Throw in a Travis Tritt concert option too off that same show. Motley Crue did that concert on Raw in the fall. More fringe ones off the top of my head (no pun intended) would be Jenna Jameson and John Wayne Bobbit, per the Val Venis stuff he did.

Commish from California
Member # 128796

quote:
Originally posted by jp1985:
I could see a couple using him. In the face of only using one though, seems unlikely.

Throw in a Travis Tritt concert option too off that same show. Motley Crue did that concert on Raw in the fall. More fringe ones off the top of my head (no pun intended) would be Jenna Jameson and John Wayne Bobbit, per the Val Venis stuff he did.

Well, now you've forced me to mention Ginnifer Flowers at Mania 14.
Grape Ape
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grape Ape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenna Jameson fits right up ECW's alley.
jp1985
Member # 113226

So with regards to a celebrity idea, this is the list I have so far ... any others?

Dennis Rodman
Jay Leno (w/ Kevin Eubanks)
Karl Malone
Kevin Greene

Chucky
Gennifer Flowers
Jenna Jameson
John Wayne Bobbitt
Mario Lopez
Mike Tyson
Motley Crue
Pete Rose
Travis Tritt

First 4 actually wrestled, the rest either did actual angles or had advertised involvement over 1998.

jp1985
Member # 113226

Celebrity usage is now opened up to any celebrity in any role, and it extends outside The Bash as well.

If you intend to use a celebrity in any sort of extended fashion, I'd recommend picking them up to your roster to avoid the scenario of them being double booked, as unlikely as it is that would happen.

Commish from California
Member # 128796

Bertha Faye is the WCFL Women’s Champ in 1998?!

Listen, she was a decent enough worker at one point and Monster Ripper was a cool gimmick WAY back in the day, but people, we gotta do better than Bertha freaking Fay.

Manami Toyota would be my pick but I know the league shies away from Japanese talent as World Champs more often than not. So... Ivory? Tori? Jacqueline? Bobcat? Molly Holly? Madusa?

jp1985
Member # 113226

She's had it for a LONG time. I think nobody realizes it even existed besides the AB as I just noted which is why I'm in the process of making a new thread.

Odds are in this case, any nomination would pass at this stage given she's had it 19 months and nobody books her.

Cory
Member # 6097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea there was a world woman's champ. Hmmmmm gives me an idea or three.
jp1985
Member # 113226

Is there a max number of bookings per month on an individual league champion in this by one promoter? I don't see it in the rules so I'm assuming no?
abundant
Member # 116389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abundant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it's 4 times per month. At least, that's what I remembered being told when I joined several years ago.
jp1985
Member # 113226

Yeah, ok. I thought that too but didn't see it written anywhere. Thanks.
Grape Ape
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grape Ape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe 4 was the number so that no one person would book a lot of appearances, not giving everyone equal access.

If champions aren't being booked and lots of dates are open I doubt anyone would complain if there were bookings for an extra date or two. Also, ECW has no plans for champion bookings, so if anyone wants to grab some of "mine", knock yourself out.

Omega JeriFlair
Member # 129026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omega JeriFlair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify - are SAT promotions allowed to book WCFL champions for appearances?

B/C the Hart Bros. and their fancy tag straps would get over well in Japan....

--------------------
Kenny Flairicho?

jp1985
Member # 113226

quote:
Originally posted by Omega JeriFlair:
Just to clarify - are SAT promotions allowed to book WCFL champions for appearances?

B/C the Hart Bros. and their fancy tag straps would get over well in Japan....

Yes.
cwalt
Member # 3615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cwalt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looking it up and did not see it. Has anyone one the triple crown? I know that Terry Gordy has ( Tag, and World) and Brett has( Tag and World), Owen has(Tag and Jr), Vader( International and World). I think it would be cool to have a Owen world title run? I think of the guys I listed only Owen can a third title. Owen as the first triple crown member would be awesome.
Commish from California
Member # 128796

The window is closing on Owen. I'm a big fan of Owen, but as World Champ? I'm not sure.

It would seem guys like Eddie, Jericho or Benoit would be the easiest to get to a Triple Crown. Of course, Benoit has been pulled out of the game so that's not possible.

jp1985
Member # 113226

Good question for conversation.

Dynamite Kid is listed as holding 3 if you include the 6 Man, as he also held the Junior and International.

That said if 6 Man is fair game, of people that are at 2 - Hennig needs Tag Team or International, Booker needs World or International - both of those seem pretty plausible without it feeling forced for the sake of doing it.

Michaels has World & Tag Team with 10 years to get International, so that could easily happen if somebody wanted it to.

Omega JeriFlair
Member # 129026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omega JeriFlair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the place to break kayfabe and talk shop, back room planning, etc?

From just getting back in to WCFL, and from a fan’s perspective - I really like the Bret & Owen world tag run.

With no skin in the game and just from a Hart fan - I think it would be awesome if Owen got a shot at the big belt, something he never really had a chance to run with. He had the talent and charisma to work it, both sides. And it would be cool to see tables turned if Owen was the alpha and Bret ran with jealous brother angle, he wait - he wasn’t ever supposed to actually SURPASS me approach. A lot of legs on that angle.

Now again, I don’t have history here with the situation and may not know Abe from Adam, but as far as the issue of world champs and losing them b/c of their duties...and again, maybe this already happens, but what if that champ’s home promotion got first dibs on bookings for the champ that month so as they could still fulfill their home show duties while then also in non home dates, make their rounds around the territories?

[ 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Omega JeriFlair ]

--------------------
Kenny Flairicho?

jp1985
Member # 113226

The champions technically have no home promotion. The previous holder has the chance to get them back when they lose the title, but they're officially off roster and independent to any one promotion.

As for Owen as World champion, if somebody did a compelling push for it after he loses the World Tag Team Title (if?), then yeah. On the other hand, I think doing it just because he passes soon or never had it in real life is too focused on reality. Personally, I like to take into account what the writer is doing and has done with the talent more so than rewarding the talent for being themselves.

CokeMan
Member # 125331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CokeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry Lawler is one belt shy of a triple crown.
cwalt
Member # 3615

i would love to tell the homegrown Owen chase for the World Title? I been writing on and off for 8. years with no real good runs( change promotions to much) telling that story would be awesome . Stampede has been the most fun I had ever with the possible exception of my California run in 90/91.
PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader is still really good and with him needing Tag Titles to accomplish it I could easily see a Vader-Norton, Vader-Bigelow, Vader some other big bad ass guy being more than capable of dethroning the Harts. That would be a great match to have on a Japanese card.

quote:
Originally posted by cwalt:
I looking it up and did not see it. Has anyone one the triple crown? I know that Terry Gordy has ( Tag, and World) and Brett has( Tag and World), Owen has(Tag and Jr), Vader( International and World). I think it would be cool to have a Owen world title run? I think of the guys I listed only Owen can a third title. Owen as the first triple crown member would be awesome.

--------------------
The future's uncertain and the end is always near...

Omega JeriFlair
Member # 129026

Vader is/was such a force in Japan. Ultimate monster heel, complete gaijin terror and totally over as such.
He could work “strong” or “shoot” style so well too.

As brand spanking new promoter in Japan, I’d love to see Vader come over, get over and leave the fans in absolute awe.

--------------------
Kenny Flairicho?

Blind Guy
Member # 40601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see the "free for all" page in use. Not too strict on it breaking kayfabe, most presidents/mods keep an eye out for internal League workings being aired too much.

As I am the guy who put Bret and Owen up, I was looking at the ticking clock as a "tribute" factor. If the title is cacated with his passing, I guess I do not get him back...but then, I have "looked after" some other guys that passed such as Pillmanm Larry Cameron, DJ Peterson, Kerry Von Erich etc.

The discussion HERE on World title ideas is better than what usually turns up at the voting booth!

SHAMELESS PLUGS are OK still?

VOTE FOR THE ROCK!

--------------------
Michael Moriarty as Henry Wiggen in, "Bang the Drum Slowly" (1973)

"From here on in, I rag nobody"

Omega JeriFlair
Member # 129026

Quick Q:
As the new guy I am a bit unsure on a few things like how are New debuting wrestlers distributed?
For instance Punk, Cena, Daniel Bryan etc. had their pro debuts in ‘99. When would those guys be made available and how are they dispersed to the various territories?

--------------------
Kenny Flairicho?

jp1985
Member # 113226

There's a rookie draft in January, order determined by a lottery a few weeks earlier in December.

[ 06-28-2018, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: jp1985 ]

Omega JeriFlair
Member # 129026

Great, thanks for the info. ‘99 should be a terrific class.

One more Q (for now anyways)

Is there a thread listing the older inactive/defunct promotions, and possibly their histories within the WCFL?

--------------------
Kenny Flairicho?

jp1985
Member # 113226

No. If you wish to find out about something, use the search and make sure it's set to 'Virtual Wrestling' in the forum field.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/cgi-bin/.ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search;search_forum=12

It will often yield very incomplete results, but usually you can find enough of what you're looking for to know where to look for more information by going back in the forum pages and scanning the relevant shows manually.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations