WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Comprehensive List: Viewable Pre-1940 Wrestling Footage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comprehensive List: Viewable Pre-1940 Wrestling Footage
Phil_Lions
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil_Lions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks back, for my own research purposes, I was doing a thorough search of several newsreel archives and it occurred to me that it would be very useful if a list of all the available old time wrestling footage existed. I looked and asked around and it turned out there is no such list. And that is when I decided to create one myself.

Posted below is a list of links to all the pre-1940 wrestling footage that is viewable online at the moment, just by clicking on a link. All the footage that I could find anyway. This includes footage from matches, training footage and other videos with pro wrestlers in them. This is by no means a compete list of all the pre-1940 wrestling footage that still exists. This is just a list of the footage that is linkable and viewable online for free. There's plenty more pre-1940 wrestling footage that has been verified to exist or at the very least has been listed somewhere as potentially existing, but that footage is not available for me to link to.

When I first started compiling the list I was wondering where to end it and ended up choosing 1940 as the cut-off year. No particular reason. I just thought 1940 was a fine cut-off point.

In the first bracket after each link I've put either the date when the video was filmed or the RTT date. RTT is an abbreviation for Released To Theaters. Before each “RTT" I've mentioned the country where the video was released. So, if it says, for example, "UK RTT May 30, 1930" that means the video was released in the UK on May 30, 1930, but was taped earlier than that. In the second bracket I've put the location where the video was shot (if it's known). Typically, footage shot in the US was released abroad a few weeks later. In a few instances it's possible the RTT date or even year might be wrong - I've listed the dates/years as provided by the companies that hold the footage, but sometimes this information can be wrong.

The videos are in chronological order. If a certain video is known to be from a certain year, but the date is unknown, I've listed the video at the beginning of the year.

(c) means champion, obviously. If a certain match was a championship match or a title change I've made note of it.

If you spot any errors that I might have made by all means please point them out and I will gladly fix them. If you can identify any of the unknown wrestlers or you know the date for a match that doesn't have a date listed or just has a RTT date - again, please let me know. Also, if you know of a pre-1940 video that isn't in the list please tell me about it so that I can add it to the list.

My plan is to continually update the list as new footage becomes available or a dead link needs to be deleted/replaced with a working one.

I am posting this list exclusively to the WCMB. Link people to this topic if you want, but please do not copy and paste the list elsewhere. A lot of the groundwork for this list was done by all the posters who over the years have posted video links here on the Lou Thesz Forum and without them laying the foundation my creating of this list would have been much much harder. Therefore it only feels right for this list to be exclusive to the WCMB. Furthermore, if you would like to know more about a certain video I strongly encourage you to use the search function and seek out the topic where it was originally posted. Not all videos from the list have previously posted topics about them, but most do and in there you can find some excellent information and discussion about the videos in question.

And finally, I would like to thank Ken Viewer, who provided me with a lot of excellent advice and feedback as I was compiling the list. Thank you, Ken!

Anyway, here it is. A comprehensive list of the pre-1940 wrestling footage that is viewable online at the moment. Over 200 videos.

pre-1929

Sandow and Grenier wrestling (1895) (Germany)

Comedy wrestling exhibition bouts (1901)

Two young boys in a catch-as-catch-can demonstration (1903)

Female wrestlers in an exhibition bout (1905)

Male wrestlers in an exhibition bout (1905)

Wrestlers, including Hugh F. Leonard, at the New York Athletic Club (1905) (New York, NY)

Simon Antonitsch’s small cameo in the "Le raid Paris - Monte-Carlo en deux heures" short movie (1905) (France)

Giovanni Carpini vs Raoul Le Bordelais and Raoul Le Boucher vs Simon Antonitsch exhibition bouts (France RTT December 28, 1906) (Paris, France)

"La femme du lutteur" short movie (1906) (France)

Josef Steinbach vs Bruno Hackenschmidt (September 17, 1911) (Vienna, Austria)

Chambers Zipps vs Luka Kopyev exhibition bout - Ivan Poddubny, Aleksander Aberg and Hadjimukan Munaytpasov are also in the video (1912 or 1913) (Moscow, Russia)

Gustav Fristensky vs Josef Smejkal (1913) (Prague, Czech Republic)

Jack Johnson vs Fred Marcussen (January 22, 1914) (Hamburg, Germany)

Gustav Fristensky training and then getting a massage (1914) (Litovel, Czech Republic)

Jimmy Esson vs Pete Brannon (1914-1918)

Greco-Roman wrestling bout at ANZAC Day commemoration (April 25, 1919) (Le Havre, France)

Earl Caddock (c) vs Joe Stecher - World Heavyweight Title change (January 30, 1920) (New York, NY)

Ad Santel entertaining midgets (September 1, 1920) (San Francisco, CA)

Wladek Zbyszko wrestling workout (1924) (USA)

Olympic Greco-Roman wrestling: Henri Deglane vs Ernst Nilsson (1924) (Paris, France)

Peter Ferestanoff strongman demonstration (France RTT December 17, 1925) (Paris, France)

Virginia Mercereau vs an unknown male opponent (February 9, 1927) (USA)

Dick Shikat vs an unknown opponent (1929) (New York, NY)

Various wrestlers competing in a Greco-Roman Championship of Europe tournament (1929) (Prague, Czech Republic)

Ed Lewis (c) vs Gus Sonnenberg – World Heavyweight Title change (January 4, 1929) (Boston, MA)

Gus Sonnenberg vs Howard Cantonwine (February 3, 1929) (New York, NY)

Gus Sonnenberg (c) vs Joe Malcewicz - AWA World Heavyweight Title (March 15, 1929) (Boston, MA)

Gus Sonnenberg (c) vs Marin Plestina - AWA World Heavyweight Title or here (May 28, 1929) (Boston, MA)

Ed Lewis and Gus Sonnenberg training or here (June 27, 1929) (Boston, MA)

Dick Shikat being presented with the NY/PA World Heavyweight Title and then wrestling with Toots Mondt (August 27, 1929)

Dick Shikat (c) vs George Calza for the NY/PA World Heavyweight Title and another match (Jim McMillen vs Vanka Zelesniak?) or a much shorter newsreel version of Shikat vs Calza (November 25, 1929) (New York, NY)

Nat Pendleton vs a boxer and then wrestling another wrestler (1930)

Gus Sonnenberg (c) vs Bob McCoy - AWA World Heavyweight Title or here (January 9, 1930) (Boston, MA)

Boxer vs Wrestler: Louis Pergantas vs Babe Herman (UK RTT January 27, 1930)

Gus Sonnenberg (c) vs Joe Stecher - AWA World Heavyweight Title (January 30, 1930) (Boston, MA)

Dick Shikat (c) vs Jim McMillen - NY/PA World Heavyweight Title or here (February 10, 1930) (New York, NY)

Ed Lewis vs Marin Plestina (April 2, 1930) (New York, NY)

Gus Sonnenberg vs George Zarynoff or just highlights (April 24, 1930) (Boston, MA)

Gus Sonnenberg (c) vs Henri Deglane - AWA World Heavyweight Title and more footage from the match (May 22, 1930) (Boston, MA)

Dick Shikat (c) vs Jim Londos - NY/NWA World Heavyweight Title change (June 6, 1930) (Philadelphia, PA)

Atholl Oakley vs Bill Garnon (UK RTT November 17, 1930) (London, England)

Jim Londos (c) vs Gino Garibaldi - NY/NWA World Heavyweight Title or the same match but from a different camera angle or here (November 17, 1930) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos vs Mike Romano (December 15, 1930) (Chicago, IL)

Sammy Stein shows orphan boys how to wrestle (RTT 1931) (New York, NY)

Ed Don George (c) vs Jack Wagner - AWA World Heavyweight Title (January 9, 1931) (Chicago, IL)

Ed Don George (c) vs Henri Deglane - AWA World Heavyweight Title (January 21, 1931) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos (c) vs Jim McMillen - NY/NWA World Heavyweight Title and part two or another version with different outtakes (January 26, 1931) (New York, NY)

Joe Savoldi talking about why he went into pro wrestling and then wrestling with Dr. Mullikan (February 6, 1931)

Ed Don George (c) vs Everett Marshall - AWA World Heavyweight Title (March 4, 1931) (Los Angeles, CA)

Gus Sonnenberg vs Jack Ganson (March 8, 1931) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos vs Renato Gardini (March 19, 1931) (Detroit, MI)

Jim Londos © vs Herb Freeman – NY World Heavyweight Title, and Sergei Kalmikoff vs Ferenc Holuban (March 23, 1931) (New York, NY)

Ed Don George (c) vs Ed Lewis - AWA World Heavyweight Title change and more footage + Joe Savoldi vs Myron Coxin or just highlights (April 13, 1931) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos (c) vs Ray Steele - NY/NWA World Heavyweight Title (May 1, 1931) (New York, NY)

Gus Sonnenberg vs Abe Coleman (August 19, 1931) (Los Angeles, CA)

Atholl Oakley vs Francois Berthod or a slightly longer version of the same match (UK RTT October 26, 1931) (London, England)

Jim Londos (c) vs Matros Kirilenko - NY/NWA World Heavyweight Title or the same match but from a different camera angle (November 2, 1931) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos vs Ray Steele (Italy RTT 1932) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos wrestling on a "floating ring" or another version without sound (1932) (Miami Beach, FL)

Bull Montana wrestling an unknown opponent (1932) (Sydney, Australia)

George Calza vs Sandor Szabo (January 12, 1932) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos (c) vs Sammy Stein - NY/NWA World Heavyweight Title (January 25, 1932) (New York, NY)

An unknown female wrestler vs an unknown male wrestler (Australia RTT February 9, 1932)

Jim Londos (c) vs Rudy Dusek - NWA World Heavyweight Title (February 11, 1932) (Chicago, IL)

Leo Pinetzki trying to wrestle with an elephant (US RTT February 25, 1932) (West Hempstead, NY)

Jim Londos (c) vs Paul Jones - NWA World Heavyweight Title (March 2, 1932) (Los Angeles, CA)

Dick Shikat vs Leo Pinetzki (March 21, 1932) (New York, NY)

Fritz Kley vs Sandor Szabo or a slightly longer version or yet another version (April 4, 1932) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos vs Abe Coleman or highlights from a different camera angle (May 25, 1932) (Los Angeles, CA)

Dick Daviscourt vs Abe Coleman, and Ray Steele vs Vic Christy to determine the first California State Heavyweight champion (June 8, 1932) (Los Angeles, CA)

Ed Lewis vs Dick Shikat (June 9, 1932) (Long Island, NY)

A match featuring two unknown wrestlers and Tom Lurich as referee (Australia RTT June 10, 1932) (Sydney, Australia)

Harry Mamos vs Sam Clapham (June 25, 1932) (Sydney, Australia)

Jim Londos (c) vs Karl Sarpolis - NWA World Heavyweight Title (July 12, 1932) (San Francisco, CA)

Fritz Kley vs Sammy Stein (July 12, 1932) (Bronx, NY)

Underwater wrestling (Australia RTT July 13, 1932) (Silver Springs, FL)

Jack Pye vs Ben Sherman (UK RTT September 5, 1932) (London, England)

Wladek Zbyszko wrestling - scene from the movie "Deception" (fall 1932) (USA)

Anders Larsson vs Fritz Sandguist wrestling demonstration (France RTT October 12, 1932)

George Zaharias vs an unknown opponent (Italy RTT December 1932) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos (c) vs George Zaharias - NWA World Heavyweight Title (December 14, 1932) (Los Angeles, CA)

An injured Henri Deglane talking and then introducing Dan Koloff (France RTT December 21, 1932) (Paris, France)

Martin Levy wrestling training (RTT 1933) (Dedham, MA)

Jim Browning (c) vs Sammy Stein - NY World Heavyweight Title (August 28 or November 9, 1933) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos vs Abe Coleman or the same match but from a different camera angle (January 11, 1933) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos (c) vs Ray Steele - World Heavyweight Title (February 8, 1933) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos (c) vs Oki Shikina - World Heavyweight Title or a shorter version without sound but from a different camera angle (February 22, 1933) (Los Angeles, CA)

Ed Lewis vs Joe Savoldi (May 22, 1933) (New York, NY)

Jerry Monahan vs Sol Slagel (June 6, 1933) (Bronx, NY)

Jim Browning (c) vs Ed Lewis - NY World Heavyweight Title (June 7, 1933) (Los Angeles, CA)

Whiskers Blake vs Joe Varga (June or July 1933) (New Zealand)

Tom Lurich vs Whiskers Blake (September 11, 1933) (Sydney, Australia)

Henri Deglane in-ring training session (France RTT September 22, 1933) (Paris, France)

Jim Browning (c) vs Joe Savoldi - NY World Heavyweight Title (October 2, 1933) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos vs Kola Kwariani (October 22, 1933) (Athens, Greece)

Joe Savoldi vs Man Mountain Dean (November 20, 1933) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos (c) vs Jim McMillen - NWA World Heavyweight Title (November 22, 1933) (Chicago, IL)

Man Mountain Dean vs Ernie Dusek (December 18, 1933) (New York, NY)

Jim Londos vs George Zarynoff (listed as being from 1934 but could that could be wrong)

George Romanoff vs Jack Adams (RTT 1934) (Lake Worth, FL)

Tom Lurich vs Joe Dawson (February 17, 1934) (Sydney, Australia)

Billy Edwards vs Glen Wade and Bill Thornton vs an unknown opponent (March 19, 1934) (USA)

Whitney Hewitt vs Paul Harper (April 16, 1934) (TX)

Two black children practicing and then wrestling in front of an audience (April 26,1934) (Dallas, TX)

Jim Londos (c) vs Jim Browning (c) - NWA and NY World Heavyweight Title unification and more footage from the same match (June 25, 1934) (Long Island, NY)

Tom Lurich vs Harban Singh (June 30, 1934) (Sydney, Australia)

Man Mountain Dean vs George Zaharias or here (August 15, 1934) (Los Angeles, CA)

Gus Sonnenberg vs Wong Bock Cheung and more footage or just highlights (August 25, 1934) (Sydney, Australia)

Carver Doone vs Izzy Van Dutz or here (UK RTT September 17, 1934) (London, England)

Jim Londos (c) vs Ed Lewis - NWA World Heavyweight Title (September 20, 1934) (Chicago, IL)

Henri Deglane vs Kola Kwariani or the same match but with some different outtakes (September 24, 1934) (Paris, France)

Joe Savoldi vs Man Mountain Dean or the same match with some different outtakes shot from a different camera angle (September 26, 1934) (Los Angeles, CA)

Man Mountain Dean vs Howard Cantonwine or different highlights (September 12, 1934) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos (c) vs Everett Marshall - NWA World Heavyweight Title (November 19, 1934) (New York, NY)

Charles Rigoulot talking and Rigoulot in an in-ring training session with other wrestlers (France RTT December 7, 1934) (Paris, France)

Charles Rigoulot vs Elmar Sonntag (December 12, 1934) (Paris, France)

Man Mountain Dean vs Howard Cantonwine and Man Mountain Dean vs Pat O'Shocker (December 19, 1934) (Los Angeles, CA)

Mae Stein vs Mary O'Neill and unknown vs unknown (1935) (Miami, FL)

Jim Londos (c) vs Man Mountain Dean - NWA World Heavyweight Title (January 9, 1935) (Los Angeles, CA)

Henri Deglane vs Len Hall (March 4, 1935) (Paris, France)

Bonnie Muir vs Charlie Santen (March 4, 1935) (Paris, France)

Hans Schnabel vs an unknown opponent (UK RTT April 15, 1935) (New York, NY)

Man Mountain Dean vs George Zaharias (UK RTT June 10, 1935) (Los Angeles, CA)

Jim Londos (c) vs Danno O'Mahoney - NWA World Heavyweight Title change (June 27, 1935) (Boston, MA) and other random clips

Danno O'Mahoney vs Chief Little Wolf (July 8, 1935) (New York, NY)

Man Mountain Dean vs Vincent Lopez - LA World Heavyweight Title tournament final (July 24, 1935) (Los Angeles, CA)

Danno O'Mahoney vs Joe Savoldi or an Italian newsreel version of the same match (August 6, 1935) (Washington, DC)

Tom Lurich vs Tiger Duala (August 17, 1935) (Sydney, Australia)

Ernie Dusek vs George Zaharias (UK RTT October 14, 1935) (Los Angeles, CA)

Man Mountain Dean vs Floyd Marshall or here (October 21, 1935) (Chicago, IL)

Sergei Kalmikoff vs Floyd Marshall or here (Italy RTT October 30, 1935) (New York, NY)

Danno O'Mahoney (c) vs Ed Don George - AWA World Heavyweight Title (December 16, 1935) (New York, NY)

Ted Cox? vs an unknown opponent (UK RTT December 26, 1935) (USA)

A battle royal with unknown blindfolded wrestlers (RTT 1936) (Lake Worth, FL)

5-man battle royal (RTT 1936) (Lake Worth, FL)

King Kong Nick George vs Tony Siano (January 7, 1936) (New York, NY)

Sergei Kalmikoff vs Ivan Managoff (January 13, 1936) (New York, NY)

Man Mountain Dean wrestling his wife on the beach (UK RTT February 10, 1936) (Miami Beach, FL)

Danno O'Mahoney (c) vs Dick Shikat - AWA World Heavyweight Title change/double-cross, Ernie Dusek vs Ed Meske and Dean Detton vs Rusty Westcoatt or an Italian newsreel version of the same matches (March 2, 1936) (New York, NY)

Vincent Lopez vs Wee Willie Davis (RTT March 18, 1936) (Seattle, WA)

Tiny Roebuck vs Paul Matan with Max Baer as referee (April 8, 1936) (Los Angeles, CA)

Man Mountain Dean vs Howard Cantonwine (May 13, 1936) (Los Angeles, CA)

Douglas Clark (c) vs Tom Lurich - British Empire/Commonwealth Heavyweight Title change (May 30, 1936) (Sydney, Australia)

A battle royal with unknown wrestlers and Max Baer as referee (UK RTT July 23, 1936) (Fort Worth, TX)

Danno O'Mahoney's homecoming to Ireland (UK RTT July 30, 1936) (Cobh, Ireland)

Tom Lurich vs Mike McGill (October 10, 1936) (Sydney, Australia)

An in-ring training session with Henri Deglane, Rudolph Binacchi, Frank Bronowicz, Charles Rigoulot, John Malmberg, Felix Miquet and Bonnie Muir (France RTT November 11, 1936) (Paris, France)

Dean Detton (c) vs Dave Levin - NWA World Heavyweight Title (November 18, 1936) (New York, NY)

Man Mountain Dean vs Chief Little Wolf and Tiny Roebuck vs Abe Goldberg (November 18, 1936) (New York, NY)

Tom Lurich vs an unknown opponent (UK RTT November 23, 1936) (Sydney, Australia)

Martin Levy in a battle royal or the same match but with some different outtakes (UK RTT December 10, 1936) (USA)

Sailor Jack Adams vs Barney Cosneck (December 1936) (Lake Worth, FL)

A battle royal with bearded wrestlers (1937) (Lake Worth, FL)

A battle royal with Sailor Jack Adams and other unknown wrestlers or the same match but with some different outtakes (US RTT January 13,1937) (Lake Worth, FL)

Martin Levy vs Fitzpatrick Cohen (UK RTT February 4, 1937) (New York, NY)

Henri Deglane vs Ed Don George (March 8, 1937) (Paris, France)

Wee Willie Davis vs Laverne Baxter or here (April 15, 1937) (Washington, DC)

Clara Mortensen vs Rita Baker (US RTT April 26, 1937) (Washington, DC)

Bronko Nagurski (c) vs Vincent Lopez - NWA World Heavyweight Title (August 11, 1937) (Los Angeles, CA)

Wrestler vs Boxer: Nick Lutze vs Pio Pico (August 11, 1937) (Los Angeles, CA)

Chief Little Wolf vs Sammy Stein (August 31, 1937) (Sydney, Australia)

Clara Mortensen vs Dolores Gonzales with Karl Sarpolis as referee (September 1937) (San Antonio, TX)

Carl Von Zuppe vs Pietro Marconi (September 15, 1937) (New York, NY)

Sandor Szabo vs Prince Bhu Pinder in a mud wrestling match (October 5, 1937) (San Francisco, CA)

Henri Deglane running outside and an in-ring training session with Al Pereira, Dick Perron and George Krassavine (France RTT late October 1937) (Paris, France)

Jim Londos arriving in England, George Pencheff flexing for the camera, and footage from an unknown match (UK RTT October 25, 1937) (England)

Jim Londos vs George Pencheff (October 26, 1937) (London, England)

Henri Deglane vs Al Pereira (November 1, 1937) (Paris, France)

Joe Dillman vs Jack Ross in a mud wrestling match (November 4, 1937) (New Orleans, LA)

Jack Sherry vs Kola Kwariani (UK RTT December 2, 1937) (Manchester, England)

Ali Baba vs Dick Lever (1938)

Masked Marvel in a battle royal (1938) (Richmond, VA)

A battle royal with unknown wrestlers (US RTT January 18, 1938) (Richmond, VA)

Bob Gregory and Princess Baba of Borneo arrive in the US (UK RTT February 10, 1938) (New York, NY)

Joe Savoldi in in-ring training session (France RTT February 16, 1938) (Paris, France)

A battle royal with unknown blindfolded wrestlers (UK RTT March 10, 1938) (Los Angeles, CA)

A battle royal with unknown wrestlers in a ring covered in snow (March 21, 1938) (Lake Worth, FL)

A match between two unknown wrestlers at the Hippodrome Theater (US RTT April 13, 1938) (New York, NY)

Jesse James vs Kimon Kudo (April 25, 1938) (New York, NY)

A mud wrestling match with two unknown wrestlers (UK RTT May 30, 1938) (USA)

Ray Steele vs Rudy LaDitzi (June 20, 1938) (Sydney, Australia)

Sammy Stein vs Paul Jones (July 25, 1938) (Sydney, Australia)

Danno O'Mahoney vs Wladyslaw Talun (July 29, 1938) (Buffalo, NY)

Bronko Nagurski (c) vs Gus Sonnenberg - LA World Heavyweight Title and part two (August 3, 1938) (Los Angeles, CA)

Brother Jonathan short interview (Australia RTT August 6, 1938) (Sydney, Australia)

Pat O'Shocker vs Brother Jonathan (August 15, 1938) (Sydney, Australia)

Earl McCready wrestling workout (UK RTT September 15, 1938)

An in-ring training sesssion with Henry Steinborn, Cliff Olson, Oscar Nygren, Hank Oswald and Stan Karolyi, and Henri Deglane doing manual labor in preparation for a future match (France RTT September 21, 1938) (Paris, France)

Bronko Nagurski (c) vs Jim Londos - LA World Heavyweight Title change and part two (November 18, 1938) (Philadelphia, PA)

Golden Terror vs Frank Brown (November 18, 1938) (Philadelphia, PA)

Wrestler vs Boxer: Chick Knight vs Billy Wells (UK RTT December 16, 1938) (London, England)

Billy Meeske vs Pat Gallagher (December 15, 1938) (Sydney, Australia)

A match between two unknown wrestlers (1939)

A battle royal with unknown wrestlers in a ring filled with raw fish (1939) (USA)

Underwater wrestling: Dutch Smith vs Bill Lewin or here (US RTT January 23, 1939) (Palm Springs, CA)

Billy Hanson vs Andy Moen (April 17, 1939) (Sydney, Australia)

George Zaharias vs Vic Christy (June 19, 1939) (Sydney, Australia)

Karl Pojello vs an unknown opponent (Italy RTT November 29, 1939) (Genoa, Italy)

Ali Baba vs Red Brannigan (October 11, 1939) (Los Angeles, CA)

Johnny Paradise vs Tamplin (UK RTT October 30, 1939) (Australia)

Crazy Gang comedy wrestling match: Teddy Knox vs Jimmy Nervo (UK RTT November 9, 1939) (London, England)

Other wrestling footage from the 1930s

Italian documentary on Greco-Roman wrestling and part two (late 1920s or early 1930s)

Paul Boesch vs Dick Shikat and Paul Boesch vs Jack Sherry (1930s)

Managoff vs Kalmikoff (1930s)

Vic Hill vs Jack Gacek (1930s)

A battle royal with Bobby Bruns, John Melas, Prince Emir Jo Jo and Chief Bamba Tabu (late 1930s)

Karol Krauser vs Chief Bamba Tabu (late 1930s)

Nick Lutze & Dr. John Murphy vs Laverne Baxter & Hardboiled Haggerty (late 1930s) (Los Angeles, CA)

George Koverly vs Jose Sevilla (late 1930s)

Hardy Kruskamp vs Jules Strongbow (late 1930s)

Karol Krauser vs Chief Bamba Tabu (late 1930s or early 1940s)

Olga Baranoff vs Hanka Kavetzka (late 1930s or early 1940s)

Karl Davis vs Terry McGinnis (late 1930s or early 1940s)

Compilation videos with footage from the 1930s

Tarzans of the Mat - Joe Savoldi vs Man Mountain Dean (September 26, 1934), Jim Londos vs Jim Browning (June 25, 1934 NWA World Heavyweight Title change) and Abe Kashey vs Pat Reilly

Abe Coleman vs Lou Plummer, Jim Londos vs Ray Steele and Man Mountain Dean vs Howard Cantonwine (1930s)

The Bone Bender Parade - Footage of Dean Detton, Dave Levin, Joe Savoldi, Dick Raines, Tom Lurich, Tiger Duala, Fritz Kley, Sailor Jack Adams, Sergei Kalmikoff, Man Mountain Dean, Howard Cantonwine, Pat O'Shocker and others in action (1930s)

Wrestling Champions Volume 1 - Ed Lewis vs Joe Savoldi, Jim Londos vs Ray Steele, Matros Kirilenko vs Fritz Kley, Man Mountain Dean vs Joe Savoldi, Jim Londos vs Oki Shikina

Wrestling Champions Volume 2 - Man Mountain Dean vs a Dusek, Gorgeous George vs Joe Savoldi, Jim Londos vs Matros Kirilenko, Primo Carnera vs Bobby Nelson, Jim Londos vs Jim Browning (note: George/Savoldi and Carnera/Nelson are NOT from the 1930s)

[ 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Phil_Lions ]

IP: Logged
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil, thanks for the kind words.

This list is quite an undertaking and should prove very useful to researchers, fans, newsreels-junkies and wrestling historians.

It has some footage I've never seen before and not previously linked to on this board and, IIRC, is missing a few that have been posted.

Almost the entire Gaumont-Pathe gargantuan wrestling-footage hoard is missing because it's behind an Internet wall. And the entire Fox Movietone News archive from about 1935-and-on is missing because it, too, is not accessible unless you want to pay the licensing fees for each film.

Raging Bull, who lately is not responding to emails, or changed his email address, played a critical role in amassing so much of the oldest footage that we have. He has mostly moved on to other hobbies/massive-research-efforts and he certainly is missed by us fans of wrestling-films of the first half of the 20th century.

I'm very happy Phil has thought of, and created, this list.

For those who don't need a chronological listing, the old search-methods still work, and are explained as best as I can do it, in this post:

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003347

More films are coming.

Ken

[ 10-29-2015, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Phil_Lions
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil_Lions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump.

I've updated the list with some new links.

Among the new footage: a short clip from Jim Londos vs. Danno O'Mahoney, Jim Londos wrestling on a "floating ring", Ed Lewis vs. Joe Savoldi, Jim Browning vs. Sammy Stein from LA, Man Mountain Dean vs. Ernie Dusek, Jack Pye vs. Ben Sherman, Joe Savoldi vs. Man Mountain Dean from NY, Sergei Kalmikoff vs. Ferenc Holuban, etc.

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting all of this together in one place, helps me more that you can know. It's a major project.---Steve Yohe
DaClyde
Member # 127626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaClyde   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the mud match from New Orleans was from 4 November 1937, which would make the participants Joe Dillman and Jack Ross, and Charlie Cure the referee.

In a bit in the Jasper, AL newspaper, the Mountain Eagle, in 1938, it mentioned Dillman had been in a match that had been filmed. For awhile after this match, the papers kept calling Dillman "Mud Man".

This clipping is from the 5 November 1937 Times Picayune. And while I had been hoping to find footage of Joe Dillman in the ring, this is not what I had in mind.

-

[ 05-21-2017, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: DaClyde ]

--------------------
-JasonP

ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work!
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump
Phil_Lions
Member # 5296

I've updated the list with all the latest stuff that's popped up online including:

the Lewis/Sonnenberg title change
Stecher vs. Sonnenberg
Deglane vs. Sonnenberg (16 minutes of footage)
Sonnenberg vs. Zarynoff (21 minutes of footage)
Sonnenberg vs. Cheung
Sonnenberg vs. Ganson
Londos vs. Coleman
Londos vs. Sarpolis

Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Phil,

The mud wrestling match noted above as
"Billy Meeske vs Pat Gallagher (UK RTT January 9, 1939) (Sydney, Australia)"
took place on Thursday 15 December 1938 at the Sydney Sports Ground in Moore Park, Sydney, New South Wales (NSW), Australia.

The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper dated Friday 16 December 1938 ran the following report:
"Mud Wrestling"
"Sydney’s First Match"
"Only A Few Hundred Attend"
"Sydney last night (Thursday 15 December 1938) saw its first – and almost certainly its last – mud wrestling contest. Only a few hundred people attended the match at the (Sydney) Sports Ground, notwithstanding the added attraction of midget car racing. Billy Meeske was matched with Pat Gallagher for five rounds and Gallagher was declared the winner in the fifth round. The ring was filled to a depth of about six inches with mud mixed with soot, grease and red ochre (clay). Throughout the contest an attendant directed a hose upon the wrestlers and occasionally turned the water on newspaper photographers. The wrestlers drew bottles and dead crabs from the mud and threw them among the spectators. Dick Cameron, a wrestler who was referee, entered the ring in a spotless white evening suit but he was quickly covered in the mud by the wrestlers and his shirt was torn. There was an interlude when a person attired in a white tropical suit and helmet climbed on the ropes and asked the referee why he did not disqualify Meeske. Meeske seized the intruder with a headlock and threw him into the mud, tearing off his clothes, underneath which was a bathing costume. Gallagher was awarded a fall in the second round and Meeske submerged his opponent in the fourth round. In the fifth round Meeske, after holding Gallagher's head under the mud, turned on the referee and treated him in a similar manner. The referee then disqualified Meeske. Many of the photographers were splashed with mud and, as a fitting conclusion to the grotesque entertainment, a box was handed to the referee with a request that he should present the enclosed belt to the winner. The belt was a string of sausages with which Gallagher was decorated."

Cheers!

Ed

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations