WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Fred Beell

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fred Beell
Dan Anderson
Member # 4804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a Fred Beell bio I wrote:

Fred Beell was born on January 17, 1876 in West Prussia. His parents William and Katherine (Witt) Beell landed in Baltimore in 1879, and promptly left for Marshfield, WI. Fred's siblings included Augusta, Herman, Charles and George. He left Immanuel Lutheran School at age 14 to go work for the local Upham furniture factory. (1) (70)

An old professional wrestler who was using the pseudonym Louis Cannon, was traveling around the state giving exhibitions with dumbbells. He met up with Beell who also was adept with dumbbells. In fact, one of his favorite tricks was to juggle a 104 pound bell. (75) Cannon gave Beell his first training in wrestling and defeated him in his debut match in Marshfield on May 10, 1895. Cannon also took Beell to Wausau and defeated him again.

Beell apparently didn't enter the ring again until May 1896. Otis Patterson, of Unity, WI defeated W.M. Clark in a match at Marshfield. Patterson issued a challenge to wrestle a man from town and wagered $30 on the outcome. Beell's friends encouraged him to face Otis. The match happened on May 30,1896 and Beell surprised the townspeople by throwing the supposed undefeated pro wrestler. (2) In a trend that would become a staple of most of his matches, Beell defeated a larger man. Fred was reported to have weighed 163 pounds, while his antagonist was 20 pounds heavier.

The first fall of the match lasted 1 hour and 41 minutes. During the rest period, Otis, who was descibed as "a loud, boastful fellow from the sticks" (75) conceded the second fall and match to Beell on account of an injured leg. Some observers of the bout thought the real reason may have been that Patterson knew he was unable to throw his man. Beell won his first prize of $30. (3)

In December 1896, Patterson issued a challenge for a rematch with Beell. The match came off on January 31, 1897, in Marshfield. The result was the same as the previous match. (4)

For Beell’s sixth match, the legendary “Strangler” Evan Lewis was invited to Marshfield. Lewis, from tiny Ridgeway, WI became one of the most famous wrestlers in the country during the last 15 years of the nineteenth century. By 1897 Lewis was semi-retired living at his farm in Iowa County.

The match between Lewis and Beell took place on February 19, 1897. An old campaigner of the mat, Jack Carkeek served as referee. Over the course of 20 minutes Lewis pinned Fred thrice.

After the match, Carkeek announced to the crowd: “Mr. Beell [was] as good a man for his inches as any with whom [Lewis] ever wrestled.” And, “it was evident that with practice no one of his weight had any license to throw him.” Lewis told the Marshfield News that with proper training Beell would quickly improve. (6)

Beell’s fame was spreading among the bigwigs in wrestling, as he was propositioned by D.A. McMillian (an old contemporary of Evan Lewis and Carkeek) to travel the state giving wrestling exhibitions. (7)

In Beell’s following two matches defeated Martin Tolepson and Tom Beaver. His next major match was against Reinhold Schott.

Schott was from Watertown, WI and had been claiming to be “champion of the Northwest” since around 1890. Schott issued a challenge in the September 30, 1897 issue of the Marshfield News, which stated:

“Editor of the Marshfield News: -- Dear Sir: -- Seeing by Milwaukee Sentinel that Mr. Beell and Mr. Beaver are going to wrestle Friday, Oct. 1st. now I wish you would kindly state for me that I will be at Marshfield on the night of the match and am going to challenge the winner of the match to a catch-as-catch-can match for any amount of money they want to wrestle for. Man and money ready.”

The match took place on November 4, 1897 with Jack Carkeek once again as referee. Schott gained a fall in 52 minutes. Beell evened the score after 1:05:00. By then it was 12:00 AM so Carkeek ended the bout and declared it a draw. (8)

The rematch came in Schott’s hometown of Watertown, on January 13, 1898. Beell only won one fall, and lost the other two to Schott. (9)

Beell claimed he got a raw deal from the referee and asked for another match with Schott. Some time later, Schott accepted, and the match took place on April 23, 1898 in Stevens Point, WI. The men agreed on a side bet of $50.

Beell won two out of three falls to win the supposed “championship of the Northwest,” and $50. Schott won the first fall in ten minutes. In the second fall Beell used Evan Lewis’ signature move, the strangle hold to win the bout in four minutes. And then the third fall went to Fred seven minutes with a half-nelson and leg-hold. After the match, Schott said Beell had improved a great deal since their last match, and desired to train him. (10)

The declaration of war between Spain and the United States put a hold on Fred Beell’s grappling career. A challenge came from Ed Hamblin, but as the Marshfield Times put it, “There is a little difficulty down in Cuba that interests him, and with the rest of the Wisconsin National Guard, Fred will go down there and teach the Spaniards the strangle hold.” (11)

Beell held the wrestling championship of the regiment, after defeated Private Thompson of Marinette. Another match was arranged between Beell and the 157th Indiana champion, but the match fell through when the 157th left town when match time had come. (12)

Fred Beell’s first match back home was February 7, 1899 in Marshfield. It was scheduled to be Fred Beell versus Otto Zuehlke. But in reality Bert Scheller was the man facing Beell and was using Zuehlke’s name in an attempt of some sort of scheme. Beell laid plans at nines and defeated Scheller. (13)

In early April, Evan Lewis began training Beell at his farm in Iowa County. Later that month, Lewis acted as Beell’s second for his match against Soren Hanson, known as the "Terrible Swede."

Hanson and Beell did some verbal wrestling before the match. One of Beell's backers Lloyd Jones sent this letter to the Evening Wisconsin:

"Beell will accept the terms offered by Hanson excepting the clause barring the strangle hold. Beell will bar no holds" He also addressed the Scheller match-- "I understand that Bert Scheller have declared that the ***** Marshifeld match of about six weeks ago was a fake. But if Mr. Scheller should deside to meet the Mashfield man after the Hanson match, I think he would find no difficulty in 'going against ' Beell..." (14)

The match came of in Milwaukee on April 13, 1899. It was billed as for the “middleweight championship of Wisconsin.” The Evening Wisconsin said of the match: "A fair and square wrestling match is something of a novelty nowadays. Such a match took place. Beell outclassed his opponent winning three straight falls." (74)

Evan Lewis traveled with Beell back to Wood County and wrestled him twice in exhibition matches in Wausau and Medford.

On May 19, 1899, Fred Beell faced Ed Adamson of Indiana. Adamson is not well remembered in wrestling history, but had a long career barnstorming sometimes under an alias. (15) In this match the “Marshfield Strongboy” suffered his first defeat in over a year. The Marshfield News chalked up the loss due to only a few weeks of “scientific wrestling” training with Lewis. Adamson seemed to agree, after the match he said “Beell is a coming man, all he requires is experience to familiarize himself with scientific principles of wrestling.” Jack Carkeek witnessed the match and claimed it was the best he’d seen in all his years on the mat. (16)

The next month Beell met and defeated William Allen of Duluth, MN, and John Berg. Afterwards Beell went into more training with Evan Lewis to prepare for a rematch with Adamson. (17) After several months with Lewis, Beell traveled to Fond du Lac and defeated Harry Muldoon easily on January 20, 1900. (18)

The return match with Adamson took place in Marshfield on February 3, 1900 and drew an attendance of 600. Before going to the ring, Beell remarked: “I intend to win tonight’s match and redeem myself for the defeat by Adamson last year.” Beell avenged his previous loss by winning the match three falls to one. Adamson’s backer J.W. Watson was only willing to bet $50 on his man. The Marshfield News speculated it was because of “lack of confidence or of funds,” or maybe he knew it was Beell’s turn to win. (19)

Over the next few months Beell traveled around to various towns and defeated Jack O’Hara, Otto Zuehlke (the real one this time), his brother Charles Beell, and William West.

His next major opponent was Dan McLeod in a handicap match. According to the rules of such a match, McLeod was to pin Beell three times within an hour. McLeod only ended up getting two falls. McLeod was complementary of Beell after the match, “Beell is one of the best men in the country and it will not be long before the crack wrestlers will be finding this out…if I could have won, I certainly would. When I wrestle, I wrestle to win, and I think my record will bear me out in this respect.” (20) A rematch was talked about, but McLeod disappeared from his residence in Fond du Lac. The Marshfield News guessed he was training Ed Adamson for another match with Beell. (21)

The third Beell-Adamson match took place on August 1, 1900 in Marshfield. This time with Beell’s favorite hold, the strangle hold, was barred. Beell won the match two falls to one. (22) A fourth match between the two was arranged, and occurred on December 15, 1900. This time Beell fell to defeat, as Adamson scored three falls to Fred’s two. The Marshfield News reported: “Probably the chief reason for Beell’s defeat was his inferior physical condition” (23)

In Fred Beell’s first match in the new century, he failed to throw S.K. Velliquette in a handicap match. Velliquette was something of a local wrestling hero in Mauston, WI. (24)

In April Beell took his first trip abroad. He traveled to the Pacific, it was also reported that he may head to Alaska in order to try his prowess as wrestler against miners. It’s unknown whether he got that far, however. (25)

His first match back in Wisconsin was July 4, 1901 in Reedsburg against George Curtis. (26) He next defeated William West, S.K. Veliquette and Charles Moth.

His next major match was against Farmer Burns. Burns was an Iowan famous for his ability as a wrestler and trainer. He also holds a victory over Beell’s old mentor Evan Lewis (in a match that was fixed according to the Marshfield News). Burns came to Marshfield on December 14, 1901 to face the young Beell in a handicap match. Beell ended up limiting Burns to only one fall, so won the match. (27)

Next Beell faced Harvey Parker, known as “the Little Demon.” Parker had been traveling around the country meeting “celebrities of the wrestling world.” (28) Interest in the match high, the Marshfield News of January 23, 1902 said: “There is probably no city in the country where the people as a whole take a greater interest in wrestling than here in Marshfield.” The paper also claimed the match would be on the up-and-up, “Neither [man] has allowed himself to be bribed into faking a match.”

The match took place on January 27, 1902, Fred Beell surprised many by defeating Parker in two straight falls, using the strangle hold to win both. In an interview after the match, Parker said he was a good wrestler but lacked experience. “I could take him out on the road with me for a year, have him meet say a hundred good men, and he would then be in a position to defy the best of his weight anywhere.” (29)

A fifth match between Beell and Ed Adamson took place on May 31, 1902. Fred “scored the greatest victory of his career” by pinning his opponent three falls to two. (30)

On August 5, 1902, Fred Beell married Anna Scheuren in Marshfield. The couple took a train to Colby, WI and then to Minneapolis. (31)

Beell closed out the year by defeating Henry Boisjoly, William Nettleton, Emil Klank (twice), Young Yousouff (in a handicap match). On October 28, 1902 he suffered a rare loss to William Watson in Merillan Junction, WI.

On March 21, 1903, John J. Rooney, the “giant gripman” defeated Beell two falls to one in Marshfield. The Marshfield News felt the loss was due to the great weight difference, Rooney’s weight was 210, Beell’s 160. (32)

From April to September 1903, Beell’s mat victims included: E.T. Etland, James McAuley, Charles Schmidt, Young Sandow (twice), Frank Dwyer, Bert Scheller and Dan McBride. On June 23, 1903 he avenged his previous loss to William Watson by defeating him in three straight falls. (33) He also suffered defeat again at the hands of John Rooney, this time in Grand Rapids (later renamed Wisconsin Rapids) on May 19, 1903.

On October 29, 1903, a sixth match between Fred Beell and Ed Adamson took place. Beell trained for the match in a Milwaukee gym. The November 5, 1903 issue of the Marshfield News stated: “The question of supremacy which has long existed between Fred Beell and Ed Adamson has finally been settled.” Beell only won one fall, Adamson earned three.

On January 9, 1904, Beell defeated an “unknown” produced by Adamson. The unknown turned out to be Harry Coleman. (34) In February Beell again traveled west, his only known match was against Charles Ross in Priest River Falls, Idaho. (35)

Beell returned to Wisconsin and again defeated an “unknown,” this time it was Harry Russell. (36) On March 29, 1904 he defeated Max Flaskamp. Flaskamp was using the alias “Harry Mays.” In later years Flaskamp would be known primarily as Charles Olson, who would use a dozen or so different alias’ as a “ringer.”

Beell won a seventh match between him and Adamson, winning three falls to two. (37) Fred also won the eighth match in Grand Rapids on October 13, 1904 (38)

In November 1904, Beell and Adamson suddenly forgot they had a rivalry going and became business partners. The plan was to travel east and win side-bets from unsuspecting wrestlers. Beell’s fame was limited to Wisconsin and was pretty much unknown elsewhere. (39)

Their first victim was Americus, real name Gus Schoenlein. Schoenlein and his manager Charles J. Weiss had a falling out, and the latter looked for a wrestler to defeat his former charge. Weiss met up with Beell while in Milwaukee and invited him to take on Americus. Beell arrived in Baltimore and quietly trained with Young Fairmont, another one of Weiss’ wrestlers. (40)

On December 29, 1904 the match which was said to be a “blood match” (a legitimate contest) took place. The first fall lasted 62 minutes. The men were evenly matched to begin with, then Beell applied a strangle hold on his opponent. Referee Charley White reprimanded Fred and the match continued. Afterwards Beell went on the aggressive. With the use of a double hammerlock hold, Beell forced Americus’ shoulders to the mat.

The second fall was similar to the first, this time lasting 76 minutes. Americus was as Lloyd Jones later decribed, "was as shy as a girl during her first day at boarding school." (76) Beell wore down his opponent with a painful leg-lock, the audience implored the referee to break the hold, but he insisted that it was a fair hold. Beell won the fall with a full nelson from the front.

When time came for the third fall, it was clear Americus was in rough shape, it only took three minutes for the pin.

Few sporting men put their money on the unknown Beell. The Baltimore Daily News reported that $3,000 - $4,000 changed hands most of it to Ed Adamson, Weiss, Harvey Parker and Beell, the man the Daily News described as “a sleepy, fat ordinary countryman in town for a day’s holiday.” (41)

The Police Gazette said of the match: "A goodly number of home sports felt they would take the stranger in, so they lbet their money on Americus at odds of 100 to 90, and then wondered who the man was that took their coin." (71)

At around this time Harvey Parker took over full managerial services of Fred Beell. In January 1905, they went to Lowell, MA. While there, Beell defeated H.P. Hansen. The rules agreed upon was Beell had to throw his opponent five times within one hour. He completed the task in 54 ½ minutes. (42)

Next, Beell defeated Stanley Karpf in Buffalo on January 29, 1905. On February 24, Beell faced Kircher in Detroit. The arrangement this time was Beell must throw the 200 plus pound Kircher 10 times in an hour. After being pinned several times by the smaller man, Kircher threw up his hands in disgust and left the match. (43)

Upon his return to Wisconsin, Beell came down with erysipelas, and had to cancel a scheduled match in Chicago. The malady occurred when a training partner struck his ear, opening a blood vessel. By the time he got back to Marshfield the ear was swollen and had to be lanced. (44)

On April 17, 1905, Beell defeated an English champion Jim Parr in St. Paul, MN. Fred won the first fall in sixteen minutes with a hammer lock. The second fall also went to Beell when Parr was disqualified for using the strangle hold. (45)

A rematch between Americus was made and took place again in Baltimore on May 11, 1905. Beell suffered his first loss in the east. Americus was given the decision on a foul, as Beell apparently used the strangle hold. (46)

A month later, Harvey Parker arranged a match between his charge and John Piening, who was known as the “butcher boy.” Piening had been a wrestler of some repute in New York City since 1900. Beell pinned John in two straight falls in Brockton, MA. The audience was incredulous at the sight of the smaller unknown man pinning Piening, and nearly rioted. (47)

In June 1905, Parker was at the Hotel Metropole in New York City. He was chatting with the Considine brothers and Dan O’Reilly, who were well-known sporting men, and got to talking about wrestling.

“I’ve got a man that I will be willing to back against anyone you can name,” said Parker.

“You must be joking,” said Considine.

Parker replied, “Well, here is $300 as a forfeit for a bet of $1,000 that I am not joking.”

“Of course you don’t mean that he can beat [Tom] Jenkins,” Considine said.

“I certainly do and the bet goes,” Parker exclaimed. (48)

Tom Jenkins was a tough one eyed wrestler who had dominated heavyweight division for years. (49) He was telegraphed at his home in Cleveland and agreed to come to New York for the match.

The match was a private affair, with only 100 persons invited to witness the contest. They gathered at Elmer’s gymnasium, at 110 West 42nd street. Beell was unknown to most of the assembled gamblers even though he had recently beaten Piening in Brockton. The New York World said of the match: “An unknown wrestler came out of the west and sprung the biggest surprise on the sporting world that it has had in a long time.”

John O’Brien of the New York Athletic Club was selected as referee. When Beell and Jenkins faced each other laugher arose from the crowd. Jenkins at around 210 pounds “towered like a mountain” over the 5’4, 160 pound Beell.

That match began at 9:20 PM, and for the next 163 minutes Beell “had the crowd of spectators fairly gasping with astonishment.” The two furiously attempted to pin the other. Jenkins secured a half Nelson, then Beell made blindingly fast escape and knocked Tom onto his shoulders before the audience could fairly tell what had happened.

After a short rest period the second fall began. “Jenkins was thoroughly aroused by the unexpected termination of the first bout and went at Beell like a tiger.” In a fit a rage Jenkins tossed Beell at the south wall of the gym. The impact dazed Fred and made the pinfall a formality.

The third fall was a repetition of the second, and Beell’s shoulders were put down for the count after 25 minutes.

After the exhausting match, Jenkins addressed to small crowd, “Gentleman, I have never seen this man before and never heard of him till the other day, but I want to say right here and now that he is the best little man that ever stood to shoe leather.” (48)

Parker, who held some sort of a grudge against Jenkins was bitter over the result of the match. A few months later in November 1905 he gave an interview to the Buffalo Telegram:

We always knew that we were jobbed in that match, for the $1,000 that Jenkins got on the strength of the referee’s decision came out of my pocket. But it was not until a few weeks ago that we learned how the whole thing had been framed up. Every person connected with the match, except Beell, my assistant and myself, were in the game to give my man the worst of it—and he got it, good and proper. Beell won the first round easily. The second went against him through Jenkins stunning him by hitting his head against a brick wall…In the last bout Beell had Jenkins down no less than three times, but every instance the referee refused to allow the fall, and finally declared Jenkins the victor on an alleged fall that did not occur at all….So certain am I that I was jobbed in that match that I have issued challenges to Jenkins for a return match for from $1,000 to $2,000 a side before some reputable club, but so far have been unable to get Jenkins to come forward.

An interesting occurrence happened on September 15, 1905 in Cleveland. Beell and Parker had been taking on all comers at a theater. Beell threw a challenger Mark Chenyl, but the crowd didn’t seem to think it was a fair fall, and started to voice their disapproval. Things got worse when Tom Jenkins’ friend Mark Lamb punched Parker in the jaw. The spectators began to riot and the police had to escort the wrestlers to safety. (49)

On October 11, 1905, Beell was in Cleveland again, and this time defeated redoubtable professional wrestler, Yankee Rogers in two straight falls. (50) Three days later Ed Atherton was pinned by Fred in Buffalo.

Beell’s fame was starting to spread, to the point were other wrestlers were impersonating him. On October 21, 1905 in Houghton, MI an imposter posing as Beell wrestled Joe Collins. The Marshfield News reported that Beell “was impersonated in order to draw a house." And, “It is fully realized by Beell’s friends that the hippodrome (an old term meaning a fake match) affair at Houghton is liable to injure Fred’s reputation, especially if the so-called Beell lost in the match.” (51) That was not the only imitator; there was another in fake Beell in Mexico in 1909-1910. Although he misspelled the name “Beall.” (52)

At the time the fake Beell was in Michigan, the real one was in Buffalo. He and Parker took on all comers at Lafayette Theater. From October 22 - 25, Fred defeated Jack Mils, George Gray and Charles Conkle. (53)

One man who did stay the time limit at the Lafayette was Englishman Jim Parr. He issued a challenge in the Evening Wisconsin. (77) The match took place on November 9, 1905 in Buffalo. Beell won in two straight falls. Not satisfied with the loss, Parr was heard to say after the match: “E’s a great little chap, but I don’t think ‘e as h’ anything on me. Me shoulder here, strained it in the first ten minutes.” (54)

The December 1, 1905 Marshfield Times quoted an unnamed Buffalo newspaper that included details of Beell’s salary:

While within a few short months this man has cleaned up several thousands dollars by his defeat of Jim Parr, former English champion, at Buffalo, he only receives a salary of $60 a week, the rest going to his manager.

Harvey Parker signed a contract with him to wrestle under his management, for that salary whether bouts were secured or not. Anyone who knows of the work of Parker can rest upon it that he is getting the bouts. Even if the manager does take the money, this Wisconsin boy, with all his promise of a Championship before him, is satisfied to wrestle for wages. (55)

The Buffalo Express interviewed Frank Gotch in November 1905. By that time Gotch of Humboldt, IA had been regarded at the American champion of wrestling. Gotch told the reporter:

“Beell is a tough little fellow. I know all about him before I came to Buffalo for the first time, but he has since improved wonderfully they tell me.”

“Who do you consider the best man outside yourself?” The reporter asked.

“By all means Beell.”

“And will you wrestle him?”

“Most decidedly. That is one reason for my trip east.” (56)

As it turned out, Gotch and Beell wouldn’t meet until December 1906.

Meanwhile, Beell finished out 1905 by defeating Charles Wittmer twice, in Detroit and St. Paul, MN. (57)

Harvey Parker was interviewed by the Pittsburg Chronicle, he talked about his recent barnstorming: “In my 25 years’ career at wrestling I have never had a livelier two months. Beell and myself met some corkers. We won every match…In our matches with all comers we had some strenuous times. People are not educated up to genuine wrestling as yet.” (58)

Beell returned home from his whirlwind trip in January 1906. A match was arranged between himself and Charles McMahon from Indianapolis. The Marshfield News assumed McMahon may have been a pseudonym as they never heard of him before. The Indiana man later claimed that his name was real and had been wrestling since 1893 and had spent most of his time in the Rocky Mountain area. In any case, Beell won the match in three straight falls. (59)

At around this time, Parker was busy trying to make matches with Tom Jenkins, Frank Gotch and Clarence Bouldin the “Cuban Wonder” (a protégé of Jenkins). Said the Cleveland Leader:

Harvey Parker has not let up in his efforts to force Bouldin into a match with Fred Beell. In fact, he will never rest until he can get the two together.

“Twice I have been in Cleveland,” remarked Parker to the writer last evening, “and they give me the same old con game, that Bouldin will be here next week. Twice I have had my money posted up for the Bouldin people to cover, but they have paid no attention to it. Last week while in Buffalo I was told that Bouldin would be in Cleveland this week. Here I am with Beell and now they say Bouldin don’t get here until next week. (60)

While in Buffalo, Parker issued a challenge to Gotch. Gotch who was in St. Louis responded with the terms of the match, and also said:

“I do not underestimate Beell. He is a decent fellow and a cracking good man, and doubtless a hard one to beat. I would prefer to tackle Jenkins again for the championship, as in Beell’s case I have little to gain by defeating him…” (61)

Beell’s final match on his second tour east, he faced Femby at Detroit, and despite a 75 pound weight difference, Beell won in two straight falls. (62)

While in Marshfield, a match was arranged between Beell and George Baptiste. Baptiste was from St. Louis, was a 40 year-old well-known wrestler, of Greek-French descent. A match was supposed to occur between the two all the way back in 1902, but it never came off. The match took place on April 7, 1906, Fred won in three straight falls. (63)

On his third trip east, Beell met John Piening in New York City, and Hjamlar Lundin in Worcester. The match with Piening was a “mixed match,” that is a match contested in different styles. Piening won the Graeco-Roman fall, Beell won the two catch-as-catch-can styles falls. Beell defeated Lundin in two straight falls. The Worcester Telegram was impressed with Fred, the reporter said: “Beell showed wonderful strength and wonderful quickness.” (64)

While in Milwaukee Beell gave an interview: “All that is needed to restore the wrestling game to the favor it formerly enjoyed is a few honest contests, honestly conducted. Wrestling matches, nowadays, are generally conducted by roommates and between roommates. A couple of wrestlers, traveling and eating together, drift into a town and get up a ‘match.’”

“Greco-Roman doesn’t go for mine, Greco-Roman affords the biggest opportunity for fakes, and most of the big fakes of recent years have been pulled off under the Greco-Roman plan.” (65)

Beell beat former champion Dan McLeod in two straight falls in Brooke's Casino in Chicago on October 19, 1906. The Chicago Tribune called the match the hardest fought in the city since Evan Lewis vs Youssuf "the Terrible Turk" in 1898. (72)

While back in the Midwest, Beell defeated Jack Carey in Des Moines, in straight falls. Carey was yet another alias of Charles Olson.

On October 31 and November 1 in Kansas City, MO, a four man tournament took place to decide a challenger for Gotch. The four men were Joe Westgard, Yankee Rogers, Walter White and Fred Beell. Beell won the tournament by beating White and Westgard, both in consecutive falls. (66)

The big match between Beell and Gotch took place on December 1, 1906 in New Orleans, the same city were Beell's mentor Evan Lewis won the world title in 1893. When the men faced each other on the mat, Gotch towered over his opponent, “and looked a giant along side of Beell.” They sparred for a few minutes, then Gotch got Beell down on the mat and attempted his famous toe-hold. Beell quickly wriggled out. At one point Beell fell onto his head, but he got up went determinately at Gotch with more vigor. Eventually Gotch forced Beell’s shoulders to the mat.

After a ten minute rest period, the men came back to the mat, Gotch went on the offensive. He attempted his toe-hold several times but to no avail. Gotch started to fatigue and Beell went on the offensive. Fans of Beell started to cheer, then Gotch fell off of the mat receiving injuries. Beell quickly turned Frank over for the pinfall. Referee Olsen signaled that Gotch was pinned, Beell stood up but the champion lay still on the mat. He had to be dragged back to his dressing room.

After a twenty minute break Gotch returned to the mat. He was groggy and had a large bruise above his eye. It only took fifty seconds for Beell to restrain Gotch’s shoulders to the mat. And a new champion was crowned. To this very day Fred Beell is known primarily as the man who pinned Frank Gotch's shoulders to the canvas. (67)

With his new found championship laurels, Beell didn't waste time taking on challengers. He defended his title successfully against Charles Hackenschmidt in Gotch's home state in Des Moines on December 6, 1906.

A week later he beat Yankee Rogers in Chicago in two straight falls, gaining the second fall with a headlock. At one point during the match, Rogers' foot got tangled up in the ropes which allowed Beell latch on to his other leg and go for the pin him, but it was ruled no-fall. (73)

Beell's championship reign didn't last long. On December 17, 1906 he lost the title back to Frank Gotch in two straight falls before 8,000 people in Kansas City, MO. Gotch pinned Beell in the first fall with an English cross-lock after nineteen minutes. The second fall was "fiercely fought" and ended with a half-Nelson and crotch hold. Fred's disappointment in the loss may not have lasted long as he is reported to have made $2,829 by his performance. (78)

The two grapplers met again January 16, 1907 in Minneapolis. Gotch was meeting all comers at Dewey Theater, proposing to give $100 to anyone whom he couldn't throw in 15 minutes. Beell, who the Minneapolis Journal called "the biggest little man in America" just happened to be in town and challenged Gotch to a match. Gotch was said to not be in good condition was soon breathing heavily. He was never able to a get real hold on Beell, and before long Fred was $100 richer. (79)

On January 25, 1907, Beell went to Chicago and defeated William Demetral. Beell "made [Demetral] look like a novice" at Brooke's Casino. Demetral was able to secure one fall on Fred, but the audience believed it wasn't a fair fall and booed the referee so loudly that he wasn't able to announce his decision. (80)

On March 12, 1907 Beell defeated M.J. Dwyer two falls to one in Denver. At one point in the match, Dwyer was behind Beell holding him while Fred was in a sitting position. Then in a blink of an eye, Beell sat up jumped six feet in the air (supposedly) then got behind Dwyer and pinned him. Dwyer taught President Roosevelt wrestling techniques. (81)

John Rooney fell to defeat at the hands of Fred Beell on March 25, 1907 at the International theater in Chicago. Rooney who held a victory over Beell in back in 1903 was defeated in straight falls, the first gained with a crotch and hammer hold, and the second with a grapevine and half nelson. (82)

Next, Beell beat William Demetral and Jim Parr in Chicago.

Beell received a rematch with Gotch on April 26, 1907 at the Coliseum in Chicago. Before 5,000 spectators, Gotch pinned Beell's shoulders to the mat in 36:00 with his famed toe-hold. In the second bout, Beell handed Gotch a rare defeat after only three minutes by way of a combination scissor and arm-lock. Beell, who was the underdog favorite was carried by the jubilant crowd on their shoulders to the dressing room. In the third fall, Beell was able to break the toe-hold a few times, but after 14:00 finally was put down for the count. (83)

Back home in Marshfield, Beell took on Burt Shores of Minnesota on May 17, 1907. Shores was "no match" for the Wisconsin man, and promptly lost in consecutive falls. The next day Beell showed his superiority over Jess Westegard in Owen, WI. (84)

Beell apparently took a break for a few months then in August 1907 met and defeated Jess Westergard again and William Witt. Witt was a village blacksmith and local wrestling champion. (85)

On December 10, 1907, Beell faced Clarence Bouldin which was a match talked about way back when Harvey Parker was managing Fred. The long waited for match didn't last long as Beell secured the first fall quickly. Bouldin conceded the second fall on account of an injured leg. (86)

Beell returned to Chicago and defeated Fred Steurs and Jim Parr within two days. A few days later on February 7, 1908 another match between Gotch and Beell took place. Gotch won the first fall in a little under an hour. The second fall also went to Gotch 18:55. Even though he won, Gotch was injured in the match and had to cancel a scheduled bout with Charles Olson the next day, and a place in a tournament in Tampa, FL. (87)

The tournament was promoted by Jack Curley and included Beell, Charles Olson, William Demetral, Carl Pons and Mort Henderson. After beating Henderson and Demetral, Fred Beell was declared the winner and presented with a silver belt. (88)

In the next month Beell traveled to the mid-west and defeated Chief War Eagle in Council Bluffs, IA and Oscar Wasem in Lincoln, NE.

Beell met defeat at the hands of Farmer Burns on March 17, 1908 in Omaha. In the deciding fall, Burns grasped Beell by the arms and flung him over his shoulders for the pin. Beell argued with the referee that in wasn't a pinfall, but the ref didn't change his mind. (89)

There was a rematch between the Farmer and Beell on March 31, 1908 in Omaha. Beell overpowered the older man, winning in successive two falls. Burns said after the match: "Some people who lost five or ten dollars on our first match got up and hollered that it was a fake. Some said that I had told a lot of people how to bet. Anybody who says that is a liar. I have advised right along that there ought to be no betting and have not told one person to bet on the match." (90)

On April 8, 1908, Beell again faced his old nemesis Americus. Americus won the match gaining two straight falls. (91)

A writer for the Anaconda (MT) Standard didn't seem to think it was a bona fide contest wrote:

"I saw Americus wrestle in a preliminary to the Gotch-Hack match in Chicago and while he displayed marvelous ability on that occasion, there was no reason to believe that he could take the measure of Beell with the case with which he did the trick. Later I heard from W.D. Scoville, matchmaker of the Missouri Athletic club in Kansas City, and the leading wrestling promoter in this country, that the two had figured on a return contest later, but the circumstances had prevented it...To add to it all, Beell and Farmer Burns wrestled a great match in Omaha a few months ago and Burns beat the Wisconsin demon...Later the men went back to the same place for a return contest and Beell won in straight falls. That, too, looked ***** to say the least."

Back in Omaha, Beell defeated old Jack Carkeek. In the second fall, Beell raised Carkeek up and slammed him to the ground dislocating his shoulder in the process. (92)

Another private match took place between Beell and Scotch wrestler Alex Munroe. The stakes were $1,000 put up by each man. "Beell nearly tore Munroe to pieces during half hour's furious wrestling that looked like fighting." (93)

Next, Beell went to Seattle to wrestle B.F. Roller on May 14, 1908. The match drew a record gate -- $4,500 which beat the $3,700 that a Gotch-Roller match drew. The Seattle Times called it the "best ever seen on the Pacific Coast." Roller, who it wasn't kept much of a secret was getting a big push from the "wrestling trust" beat Beell two falls to none. Beell also lost a rematch on May 22, 1908. (94)

Beell then took a hiatus for a few months. He spent time tending to his farm south of Marshfield, which he recently added 40 acres to. While he was at home, another fake Beell popped up in Lima, OH. The alleged Beell was to pin Al Akerman three times in an hour. Instead, "Beell" himself was thrown. A month later the fraudulent Beell defeated Al Ackerman. And soon after the show, the gate money disappeared. When it was figured out what had happened, the mayor banned wrestling from Lima forever. (95)

On December 4, 1908 Fred Beell wrestled Charles Cutler in Chicago. Beell won the match winning two fall in 12:15 and 8:38 respectively. (96)

A week later Beell was defeated in straight falls by Yussiff Mahmout, from the Ottoman Empire in Chicago. (97) Beell started training Yusiff Mahmout for a match with Gotch. During one training session, Mahmout asked Beell to apply his head-lock on him. Beell did so and soon the Turk was out like a light. When he awoke he said: "My eye see blue. It flash--so like a 'lectric light. I hear bell. I hear birds. I hear roar. I don't hear nothin'." (98)

The Wisconsin man talked to George Hackenschmidt "the Russian Lion" to try and arrange a match. According to Beell's old friend Lloyd Jones the conversation went like this:

"What would be a good night's pay in a London music Hall?" asked Beell.

"I often get five hundred a night" said Hack.

"Well, [here's] one grand, twice that much for a private match"

"Ach! I t'out you vas schoost foolin'." The Russian declined. (76)

A rematch between Tom Jenkins and Beell was talked but apparently never came off. (99) As Jones later said, "All the king's horses and all the king's men never could have dragged him into the padded square again." (76)

Beell lost to Charles Olson in the Chicago Coliseum on January 4, 1909. Olson won both falls with a scissors hold after several minutes of "strenuous wrestling." (100)

Another match between Gotch and Beell took place on May 6, 1909 in Denver. Gotch evidently got his revenge for getting hurt in their Chicago match, as Beell was injured. Torn ligaments in his shoulder occurred in the first fall. So Beell was easy prey for the champion in the next fall, with lasted just two minutes. (101)

Beell seemingly didn't step on the mat again until October 1909. In that month he defeated Charles Cutler, M.J. Dwyer and John Berg in Chicago.

Later that month, the large Polish wrestler Stanislaus Zbysko was taking on all comers at the New Star Theater in Milwaukee, and offering a cash reward to anyone he could not defeat in 15 minutes. On October 28, 1909, Beell took a chance at the prize. Zbysko first beat Jack Faust in 1:35. Next, Beell took the stage. The Pole could not throw the smaller man in the required time. A rematch was arranged for the next day, and the results were the same. (118)

In 1910 Beell lost battles to Stanislaus Zbysko, Henry Ordemann and Yussiff Mahmout and then briefly retired. By then he was reportedly worth nearly $100,000. He devoted much of his time hunting creatures such as bears and wolves, which he enjoyed more than wrestling probably. (102)

About his return to the mat, the December 11, 1910 Chicago Tribune said: "Fred Beell is considered to be one of the best grapplers of his weight in the world, will emerge from seclusion in a few weeks to meet Americus....Beell, next to Gotch is the most popular wrestler in America."

Before taking on Americus, Beell was propositioned by various Wisconsin towns to take on their local champions. On January 3, 1911 he defeated 19-year-old Robert Friedrich of Nekoosa. "Maybe there's a new Wood County wrestler" said the Marshfield News. Little did that writer know, that Friedrich would later become the most famous wrestler in the country using the name Ed "Strangler" Lewis. (103) After the match, Beell told the crowd that Friedrich had the makings of a champion, similar to what Evan Lewis said about Beell back in 1897 when they first wrestled.

Beell met Americus on the semi-final of a Hackenschmidt-Cutler card on February 13, 1911. The match went to a one hour draw, with neither man gaining a fall.

Over the next several months Beell lost to Frank Gotch six times in Duluth, Wichita, Knoxville, Sioux City, IA, St Joesph, MO and Cleveland.

In 1912 Beell traveled west and defeated Chester McIntyre in Vancouver, defeated Frank Coleman in Seattle and beat John Berg in Portland. Berg quit after 1:10:00 "of grueling wrestling without a fall." An old champion Joe Acton served as referee. (104)

In a match that was billed as his retirement match on May 9, 1912, Beell faced Joe Smejkal in Chicago. During the match Beell suffered torn ligament in his shoulder went he was rushed into the chairs on stage. (105)

He didn't enter the ring again until going against Walter Miller in Duluth on December 11, 1912. Beell won in straight fall, winning the second fall with his famed head-lock.

Starting in 1913 Beell wrestled less and less, apparently preferring to stay at home and wrestle tree stumps out of the ground on his farm.

On November 4, 1913 Beell wrestled Mike Yokel in Duluth. Mike Yokel was great wrestler from Utah.

The Duluth Herald described the match:

"The wrestling was the fastest ever seen in a Duluth ring. Followers of Yokel yelled advice and encouragement above the din of thunderous volume, advice that fought its way to the two struggling gladiators above the fanfare of mingled sound.

But through it all the master remained the master; the wrestling art of Beell was never more fully borne out, for as great as Yokel is, the greatest middleweight that ever stepped on the canvas, the light heavyweight marvel Beell, with his added poundage is greater."

Beell ended up winning two falls, the first with a flying mare, and the second with half-nelson and crotch hold in 12:25. (106)

On December 17, 1913, Beell faced a young Marin Plestina in Kansas City, MO. Plestina would later become known as a "trust-buster"

While still in Kansas City, Beell faced Mamutoff, a 330 pound Russian. Mamutoff was said to be among the strongest men in wrestling, but had a hard time getting a hold of Fred. A crowd of 6,000 cheered the smaller man on. According to the rules of this match, Beell would receive $10 for every minute stayed unpinned, and $1,000 for ever time he pinned his large opponent. Beell ended up making $3,380. (107)

Next Beell traveled to Chicago and again wrestled Robert Freidrich, who by now was calling himself Ed "Strangler" Lewis (a name borrowed from Evan Lewis, "the Strangler") and was by then based out of Lexington, KY. Lewis gained the first fall after 9:31. Beell evened the score 11:31 with a head-lock, the move Lewis would make famous. After 10:35 Beell layed Lewis' shoulders down for the pinfall. (108)

During February 1914, Gotch announced he was retiring from the mat, and that he was conceding his claim to the worlds title. He said that Americus and Beell should fight it out for the championship. (109) The match took place on March 13, 1914, and resulted in Americus taking two falls.

Beell had a rematch with Mike Yokel, this time in Yokel's home state of Utah. Beell was defeated winning only one fall to Yokel's two. The last fall lasted 1:01:30 and ended with a reverse bar and head chancery. (110)

On April 4, 1916, Beell faced young up-and-comer Joe Stecher at Duluth, MN. Beell fell prey to Stecher's dreaded body scissors in two straight falls. Stecher would become one of the most famous wrestlers on the late 1910s and 1920s. (111)

In 1916 Fred Beell ran for office. Under the Democratic ticket he ran for sheriff of Wood County. He received 700 votes to his opponent's 419 in the city of Marshfield. But overall in the county he lost by 1148 votes. (112)

Beell defeated Bob Rogers as part of Marshfield's Red Arrow Days, which celebrated the end of World War I. (113) Beell's last known match was against Sailor Bill Perkins in Rhinelander, WI, on October 21, 1919. The 43 year old Beell pulled off the victory in two straight falls in 38:00 and 33:00. (114)

By 1933 Fred Beell had been working as a relief police officer for 12 years. In the early morning of August 5, 1933, Art Shroeder was coming home from a dance and saw four men with bags approach the Marshfield Brewing company. He called the police, and Officers George Fyksen and Beell came to check it out. Fyksen entered the brewery and led to a skirmish with one of the thugs, who was shot twice. The other robbers started shooting at Fyksen with sawed-off shotguns.

Beell heard the shots and got out of the car but was shot immediately in the face with a shotgun. The robbers escaped with $1,550 of federal revenue stamps. (115)

Beell's wife, after being told of the news had to be put under doctors care. Her husband was killed on their 31st wedding anniversary.

Beell was given a military funeral on August 8, 1933 at Immanuel's Lutheran church. He was buried in Hillside Cemetary. (116)

On November 12, 1941, the Marshfield Board of Education named the new football stadium in his honor. In 1972, Beell was inducted into the Wisconsin Athletic Hall of Fame. (1)

On May 18, 2005, Beell was honored by the Marshfield Police Department and the Cauliflower Alley Club. The CAC gave a posthumous award to Police Chief Paul Farber on behalf of Fred Beell Farber was chosen because he is the only known police chief and wrestler in the country. (117)


(1) Marshfield Police Department, Fred Beell (web page) http://www.ci.marshfield.wi.us/police/about/beell.htm Retrieved February 4, 2007
(2). Marshfield News, December 27, 1906
(3) Marshfield News, June 4, 1896
(4) Marshfield News, February 4, 1897
(5) Marshfield News, February 18, 1897
(6) Marshfield News, February 25, 1897
(7) Marshfield Times, March 19, 1897
(8) Marshfield News, November 11, 1897
(9) Marshfield News, January 20, 1898
(10) Marshfield News, April 28, 1898
(11) Marshfield Times, April 29, 1898
(12) The Centralia Enterprise and Tribune, June 11, 1898
(13) Marshfield News, February 9, 1899
(14) Evening Wisconsin. March 24, 1899; Marshfield News, April 20, 1899
(15) Personal communication with Mark Hewitt, January 26, 2007
(16) Marshfield News, May 25, 1899
(17) Marshfield News, June 15, 1899
(18) Marshfield News, January 25, 1900
(19) Marshfield News, February 8, 1900
(20) Marshfield News, May 10, 1900
(21) Marshfield News, July 19, 1900
(22) Marshfield News, August 2, 1900
(23) Marshfield News, December 20, 1900
(24) Marshfield News,
(25) Marshfield News, April 18, 1901
(26) Marshfield News, June 27, 1901
(27) Marshfield News, December 19, 1901
(28) Marshfield News, January 16, 1902
(29) Marshfield News, January 30, 1902
(30) Marshfield News, June 5, 1902
(31) Marshfield News, August 7, 1902
(32) Marshfield News, March 26, 1903
(33) Marshfield News, June 25, 1903
(34) Marshfield News, January 14, 1904
(35) Marshfield News, March 3, 1904
(36) Marshfield News, March 10, 1904
(37) Marshfield News, June 2, 1904
(38) Marshfield News, October 20, 1904
(39) Marshfield News, November 17, 1904
(40) Hewitt, Mark S. Catch Wrestling, Boulder, CO: Paladin Press, 2005; pages 35-36
(41) Marshfield News, January 12, 1905 (quoting the Baltimore Daily News);
(42) Marshfield News, January 26, 1905
(43) Marshfield Times, March 3, 1905
(44) Marshfield News, March 23, 1905
(45) Marshfield News, April 20, 1905
(46) Marshfield News, May 18, 1905
(47) Marshfield News,
(48) Marshfield News, June 15, 1905 (quoting New York World); Hewitt, Mark S. Catch Wrestling, Boulder, CO: Paladin Press, 2005; page 44
(49) Marshfield News, September 21, 1905
(50) Marshfield News, October 19, 1905
(51) Marshfield News, November 2, 1905
(52) Mark Hewitt Research
(53) Marshfield News, November 2, 1905 (quoting the Buffalo Enquirer)
(54) Marshfield News November 16, 1905,
(55) Marshfield Times, December 1, 1905
(56) Marshfield News, November 30, 1905
(57) Marshfield News, December 14, 1905
(58) Marshfield News, January 4, 1905
(59) Marshfield News, January 18, 1906
(60) Marshfield News, February 15, 1906 (quoting Cleveland Leader),
(61) Marshfield News, March 8, 1906
(62) Marshfield News, March 22, 1906
(63) Marshfield News, April 12, 1906
(64) Marshfield News, May 24, 1906
(65) Washington Post, June 18, 1906
(66) Marshfield Times, November 7, 1906
(67) Marshfield News, December 13, 1906 (quoting an unnamed New Orleans paper)
(68) Marshfield News,
(69) Marshfield News,
(70) Jones, George O. History of Wood County, H.C. Cooper, Jr. & Co., 1923; Pages 543-544
(71) National Police Gazette, January 21, 1905
(72) Chicago Tribune, October 20, 1906
(73) Chicago Tribune, December 15, 1906
(74) Evening Wisconsin, April 14, 1899
(75) Marshfield News-Herald, August 12, 1933
(76) Marshfield News-Herald, August 14, 1933
(77) Evening Wisconsin, November 2, 1905
(78) Washington Post, December 19, 1906
(79) Grand Rapids Tribune (quoting Minneapolis Journal) January 23, 1907
(80) Hammond Times, January 26, 1907
(81) Marshfield News-Herald, August 15, 1933
(82) Chicago Tribune, March 26, 1907
(83) Chicago Tribune, April 27, 1907
(84) Marshfield News, May 23, 1907
(85) Marshfield News August 8, 1907;
(86) La Crosse Tribune, December 12, 1907
(87) Chicago Tribune, February 8, 1907; Chicago Tribune February 9, 1907
(88) Tampa Morning Tribune, February 16, 1908 (Mark Hewitt research)
(89) La Crosse Tribune, March 19, 1908
(90) Omaha World Herald, April 1, 1908
(91) La Crosse Tribune, April 10, 1908
(92) Omaha World Herald, April 19, 1908 (Mark Hewitt research)
(93) Lincoln Daily News, December 11, 1913
(94) Marshfield Times May 27, 1908; Seattle Times May 15, 1908 (Mark Hewitt research)
(95) Marshfield Time July 8, 1908; Lima Daily News, July 11, 1908; Mansfield News, August 8, 1908
(96) Chicago Tribune, December 5, 1908
(97) Chicago Tribune, December 12, 1908
(98) Marshfield News-Herald, August 17, 1933
(99) Grand Rapids Tribune, December 2, 1908
(100) Chicago Tribune, January 5, 1909
(101) Marshfield News, May 27, 1909
(102) Washington Post, December 15, 1910; Marshfield Times April 13, 1910
(103) Marshfield News January 5, 1911
(104) Grand Rapids Tribune, April 3, 1912
(105) Grand Rapids Tribune, May 15, 1912
(106) Grand Rapids Tribune (quoting Duluth Herald), November 19, 1913
(107) Grand Rapids Tribune (quoting Kansas City Star) February 18, 1914; Lincoln Daliy News (quoting Kansas City Star) January 22, 1914
(108) Grand Rapids Tribune (quoting Chicago American) February 18, 1914
(109) Odgen Examiner, February 9, 1914
(110) Grand Rapids Tribune, June 24, 1914
(111) Chicago Tribune, April 5, 1916
(112) Marshfield Times, November 8, 1916
(113) Marshfield News, June 26, 1919
(114) The New North, October 23, 1919
(115) Marshfield Journal, August 10, 1933
(116) Marshfield News-Herald, August 7, 1933
(117) Marshfield News-Herald, May 19, 2005
(118) Evening Wisconsin, October 29, 1909

IP: Logged
Member # 5447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justahamandegger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff Dan. Do you know when the "Beell Throw" was coined? Or is that from when Gotch threw Fred into the wall?
IP: Logged
Member # 7562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rzombie1988     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is the Beell championship reign usually left out of wrestling history?
IP: Logged
Tim Hornbaker
Member # 2439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Hornbaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great historical work on Fred Beell, a figure who is often overlooked. Excellent research, Dan.


[ 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Payton23340 ]

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask I

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by rzombie1988:
Why is the Beell championship reign usually left out of wrestling history?

Because it was 1906 and it was the American title, not the world title, which Gotch didn't win till '08. Actually it's part of the official NWA (both versions) world title lineage with the infamous 1905 error, but it shouldn't be.

So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Member # 622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good read, Dan.


IP: Logged
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed this write up on Beell. I've always enjoyed reading articles and bios about wrestlers in the pre-Gold Dust Trio era...
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask I

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I:
Originally posted by rzombie1988:
Why is the Beell championship reign usually left out of wrestling history?

Because it was 1906 and it was the American title, not the world title, which Gotch didn't win till '08. Actually it's part of the official NWA (both versions) world title lineage with the infamous 1905 error, but it shouldn't be.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Should I guess clarify that the NWAx2 lineage, mistakenly placing Gotch-Hack 1 in '05, therefore mistakenly has Beell winning the world title from, and losing it back to, Gotch in '06.

[ 08-05-2007, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask I ]

IP: Logged
Member # 6082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobasorous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also written about Fred Beele for this board, but your article on him is by far the best,
filled with lots of information. Have you read the
article about his murder and the hunt and trial of his killers written by the DA who prosecuted
Take care

IP: Logged
Kenneth R. Boness
Member # 6589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenneth R. Boness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure many of the visitors to this message board have seen the Letter to the Editor that appeared in The Ring magazine in the mid-thirties regarding Beell. It was supposedly written by an attorney in New Orleans, as I recall. It pertains to a discreet offer to "make a lot of money" by betting on the first Gotch/Beell match. I included it in "Midget" Fischer's biography because the two men were friends, Beell owned property near Fischer's hometown and, of course, Beell was well-known there.

I am wondering if the letter was legit. Or was it fiction to support the magazine's stance regarding the honesty - make that, "dishonesty" - of professional wrestling. The consensus seems to be that the match was a very convenient arrangement for Gotch to take care of some business without having the title, only to come back and retrieve it from Beell later.

I welcome any and all thoughts.


IP: Logged
Crimson Mask I

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must not have been a hell of a lotta business. Beell only had the title 16 days. The letter may or may not have been legitimate, but I don't see anything lacking credibility in the content. A few people made a lot of money in New Orleans that night.

[ 09-20-2007, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask I ]

IP: Logged
Victor Parlati
Member # 4168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victor Parlati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What a beautiful work this has been! Very good pro wrestling tradition being carried on here, M.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask I

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask I

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only thing I'm coming up with here is that this guy is implying that I'm Mike Chapman? If that's it apparently he doesn't comprehend either me OR him. I'm saying in plain simple English that the Gotch-Beell matches were WORKS. Chapman insists all Gotch's matches were shoots. He lives in Iowa. I wouldn't be caught dead in Iowa---well maybe that's too strong but I live in Florida. I have all my fingers. I am not Mike Chapman.
IP: Logged
Kenneth R. Boness
Member # 6589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kenneth R. Boness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt in my mind that the Gotch-Beell exhibitions were just that and not wrestling in any competitive sense. I tried to treat the matter carefully as Beell was well thought of by Fischer. Just the same and, even though I had not consulted any wrestling historian, it seemed implausible that an arrangement had been worked with Gotch.

Unfortunately most of my files are on an old computer in an outdated word processing language. Otherwise I would post the file here. Hopefully I will get all the files moved this winter and can then post them here with the hope that there will be information that someone will find useful.


IP: Logged
Victor Parlati
Member # 4168

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Victor Parlati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had to ask/imply.
IP: Logged
Dan Anderson
Member # 4804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed Lewis is quoted as saying it was a betting coupe engineered by Charles Olson.
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask I

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Victor Parlati:
Just had to ask/imply.

Well... lay off the paint thinner.
IP: Logged
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IP: Logged
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I:
Originally posted by Victor Parlati:
Just had to ask/imply.

Well... lay off the paint thinner.
Was cruising through the old pages and came across this post from Mask...Had me LMAO!!
IP: Logged
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing Mask has never said or done makes me think he is Mike Chapman. Mask is right all the time.--Yohe
IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fingers. Count the fingers.

So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I don't get the feeling of hatred from Mask that I get from Mike. At least I don't feel it. I'd rather count Mask's fingers than Mike's. One would be sticking up at me.--Yohe

[ 10-29-2011, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

IP: Logged
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any more information on Beell's 1914 match with Mamutoff in Kansas City?

While I am not 100% sure, I believe it took place January 18, 1914. Don't know anything aobut Mamutoff nor have I seen his name anywhere.

I'm assuming this bout took place at the Convention Hall in Kansas City. That was a major wrestling arena during this period and outside of Chicago Coliseum, Mechanic Building (Boston), MSG, and Mount Royal Arena (Montreal). It was one of the larger indoor arena's in North America at the time.

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be my guess that 'Mamutoff' was a typo for Managoff.

So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Fingers. Count the fingers.

LMAO...guess that would be a dead giveaway...
IP: Logged
JumboShrimp from CA
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JumboShrimp from CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Be my guess that 'Mamutoff' was a typo for Managoff.

or maybe Yussif Mahmout? something like that...wait a minute, didn't Managoff use that name for a time, Yussif Mahmout?

[ 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: JumboShrimp from CA ]

IP: Logged

Quick Reply

HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3