WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Prof. Toru Tanaka (Charlie Kalani) Pro Boxing Record

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prof. Toru Tanaka (Charlie Kalani) Pro Boxing Record
Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=49443

Charley Kalani
Sex Male
Nationality US American
Hometown ?, HI
Division Heavyweight
W 2 (0 ko's) | L 2 | D 0 | Total 4

(date / weight / opponent / opponent's weight / opponent's record /
location / result / scheduled rounds )

1954-02-02 / 229½ / Joe Cantrades / 176 / 0-0-0 /
Honolulu, HI, USA / W PTS 4 / 4

1953-09-17 Edgardo Jose Romero 4-0-0
Vancouver, BC, Canada L TKO 1 0 (assuming typo for 10)

1953-07-03 210 Chief Windsor 195 0-1-0
Edmonton, AB, Canada W PTS 4 4

1953-03-17 190 Ben Wise 192 3-2-0
Ogden, UT, USA L TKO 3 10

So long from the Sunshine State!

[ 10-23-2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask I ]

IP: Logged
Old Fall Guy
Member # 3386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old Fall Guy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few more items help flesh out the early Kalani file and produce positive evidence of his qualifications for a life in professional wrestling.

Ogden UT: April 12, 1950
Defending heavyweight champion Ed Sanders of Compton JC put the crowning touch on his school's victory in the National Junior College Boxing Championships by outpointing "courageous Charles Kalani of Weber College, Utah" in the final match of the night ... Compton thus edged McNeese College of Louisiana, 19 to 18, in the final point standings.

BOUNCERS NOT WANTED
(United Press, April 12, 1951)

OGDEN, Utah -- A "bouncer" at a private charter club here took a "bouncing" from Judge J. Quill Nebeker for strong arm tactics in ejecting patrons from the club. Judge Nebeker handed down a $299 fine and a three-months jail term to bouncer Charles Kalani, observing that "the employment of a bouncer is very reprehensible to the good citizens of Ogden."
++++

Salt Lake City UT: October 20, 1951
(Associated Press) "Charlie Kalani's field goal from the 24 with 11 seconds to go gave Utah an inspired 17-14 victory over the tough Denver Pioneers tonight, and first place in the Skyline Conference. With the clock running out and Utah gaining, aided by 45 yards' worth of penalties against Denver, the Utes found themselves staring at the Pioneer goal line once more, but with insufficient time to try for a touchdown. Kalani backed up to the 24, sighted, and loosed the ball. The action galvanized the scant homecoming crowd of 12,277."

New York City NY: December 6, 1951
The Associated Press reveals its annual All-American college football team ... Charles Kalani, offensive guard, University of Utah, receives honorable mention.

UTAH'S KALANI LOST VIA GRADE REQUIREMENTS
(Associated Press, August 13, 1952)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -- Charles Kalani, place-kicking star at the University of Utah, has been denied readmission to the university by the scholarship board.

Kalani's place kicking won three games for Utah last season. The victories gave Utah the Skyline Conference championship. The Hawaiian athlete's grades were high enough to satisfy conference standards but he failed to meet school requirements, the board said.
++++

Sacramento CA: November 15, 1952
(Associated Press) "Charles Kalani's wide-angle, 17-yard field goal gave the University of Utah a 16 to 13 victory over Santa Clara University in a muddy intersectional football game today ... Kalanis' boot came with only 3 1/2 minutes to play -- when it was beginning to look as though the two teams and the 5,253 spectators at the Elks' Charity Game might have to settle for a 13-13 tie

UTAH GRIDDER TO TURN PRO AS BOXER
(Associated Press, December 3, 1952)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -- Charlie Kalani, of Honolulu, outstanding guard on the University of Utah football team, said he will become a professional fighter.

"I have always wanted to be a professional fighter," Kalani said.

Kalani expects to enter the ring at around 200 pounds. On the Utah football team besides playing at guard he does the placekicking.
++++

Honolulu HI: December 21, 1952
(Coconut Bowl, att. 12,000) Hawaii 49ers 22, Hawaii Stateside Collegians 14 ... Among the mainland players from Hawaii on the losing side was Charles Kalani of Utah, who booted a pair of extra points.

TODAY'S SPORTS PARADE
(By Oscar Fraley, United Press, February 7, 1953)

(excerpt) ... NEW YORK CITY -- You probably know that Rex Layne battles Roland LaStarza in a heavyweight elimination bout at Madison Square Garden next Friday night. Well, when Harry Markson of the Garden contacted Layne's manager, Marv Jensen, to arrange the bout, Jensen wouldn't quit talking about his 230-pouned Hawaiian heavyweight, Charley Kalani. Finally, Markson pleaded: "Look, Marv, I love Hawaii. I'm sure Kalani is a coming champ. I love Waikiki. Kalani is great. I like pineapple and I'll even learn to play a ukelele. But, puhleeze, let's talk about Layne and LaStarza." They did, but after Friday, probably won't even talk to each other again ...
++++

Oakland CA Tribune: March 12, 1953
"Heavyweights will dominate the preliminary card announced today by promoter Jimmy Murray for his April 1 boxing show at San Francisco's Winterland. The main event will bring together heavyweight contenders Rex Layne and Ezzard Charles ... The San Francisco show will open with Charley Kalani boxing Willie Colbert in a four-rounder. Kalani, a 230-pounder, is a stablemate of Layne's ..."

Ogden UT: March 17, 1953
Ben Wise (192) beat Charlie Kalani (190) (TKO3)

Edmonton AB: July 3, 1953
Charlie Kalani (210) beat Chief Windsor (195) (W4)

NOTE TO CRIMSON MASK: The "1" was NOT a typo.

Vancouver BC: September 16, 1953
(United Press) ... "Edgardo Jose Romero of Argentina puts his 23-fight undefeated skein on the line here tomorrow night when he tangles with Charlie Kalani, Hawaii, in a ten-round bout. Kalani, undefeated in nine bouts, weighed in at 210 to the South American's 230."

GIANT ROMERO BOUNCES KALANI
(Associated Press, September 18, 1953)

VANCOUVER, B.C. -- Edgardo Romero, 236-pounder from the Argentines, bounced Charlie Kalani, 211 1/2 of Honolulu, off the canvas three times in the first round of a boxing match last night before Kalani's manager stopped it by jumping into the ring.

Manager Marv Jensen of Salt Lake City, Utah, halted the proceedings at 2:35 of the first round via an intentional disqualification.

The victory ran Romero's string of consecutive wins to 26.
++++

Vancouver BC: September 17, 1953
Edgardo Romero (236) beat Charlie Kalani (211 1/1) (TKO1) ... NOTE: "Charlie Kalani, the giant Hawaiian heavyweight ... Glowing reports of Romero's fight with Kalani have reached Reno, in which it was stated that Kalani bounced a couple of Sunday punches off the chin of the sturdy Basque battler only to get knocked out himself when Romero went to work on him ... Assuming a southpaw stance, Romero plastered the Hawaiian with a series of lefts and actually put his man away with his educated left hand." -- Reno NV Evening Gazette, Sept. 24, 1953

Honolulu HI: February 2, 1954
Charlie Kalani (229 1/2) beat Joe Cantrades (176) (W4)

San Francisco CA: August 3, 1954
Waivers were asked on five rookies, including Charlie Kalani of Utah, as the San Francisco 49ers made their first pre-season roster cuts today.

--------------------
"Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate." -- Thomas Jones

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Old Fall Guy:
NOTE TO CRIMSON MASK: The "1" was NOT a typo.

Not the '1'. The '0' in the 'scheduled rounds' position.

quote:
date / weight / opponent / opponent's weight / opponent's record /
location / result / scheduled rounds )

1954-02-02 / 229½ / Joe Cantrades / 176 / 0-0-0 /
Honolulu, HI, USA / W PTS 4 / 4

1953-09-17 Edgardo Jose Romero 4-0-0
Vancouver, BC, Canada L TKO 1 0 (assuming typo for 10)

Vancouver BC: September 16, 1953
(United Press) ... "Edgardo Jose Romero of Argentina puts his 23-fight undefeated skein on the line here tomorrow night when he tangles with Charlie Kalani, Hawaii, in a ten-round bout.

[ 10-24-2006, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask I ]

daragaki
Member # 5806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daragaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With his background in boxing and martial art, was Prof. Tanaka a " shooter" ?

ALOHA FROM HAWAII

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

The funny thing is, despite the capability, as far as within the business, I've never really heard him being referred to as one.
Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CM,

I interviewed referee Mike Hunt ( yes his real name) some years ago for an article I wrote in Piledriver that great Aussie Mag that was one of the foreunners in breakuing Kay fabe.

I asked Mike specifically about Tanaka and his general descripton was of a very genial man who was liked by all and although extremely capable, the last person you would get into a real fight or altercation ( despite some of the clips posted on this thread !! Youthful exhuberance perhaps ie: the bouncer incident)

These Tankaka comments were some of the record and not included in my article. These are often the most interesting as Kit has shown recently with Lous comments not included in Hooker.

Anyway just wanted to pass this on,

Aussie Mike in Dc
Member # 1952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Mike in Dc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops hit the wrong button... as I was saying not sure if this explains why Tanaka is never mentioned as a shooter/Hooker /guy not to be meesed with etc but that was Mike's view.

He mentioned that Tanaka and Karl Gotch were seeen as the policemen of the Barnett Promotion down under in case any wrestler got out of hand which happened rarely according to Mike.

Cheers, and have a great weekend,

Aussie Mike in Dc

silver warrior
Member # 6377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver warrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting story of my meeting Tanaka in 1985. My chiropractor Mayo claimed he had many aquiantances in the entertainment field and pro-wrestling. He had photos all over his walls of himself with various people, and loved to share his anecdotes about his endeavors and celebrities. After listening to him since childhood, I decided he was a good B.S. artist. Had to be right? How does this old chiropractor out of Winthrop Ma., rub elbows with so many people of some notoriety right? He spoke of Tanaka often saying he stopped in to visit whenever he was in the Boston area. They would go out, whatever.

So I'm standing there with my Dad, after paying for my adjustment in his small treatment room.
A man pops his head in the door with a stocking hat pulled over his head(it was winter time) and yells, "Peek-a-boo!" Mayo looks over, smiles, and says,"Oh come in Masked Marvel!" Tanaka raises his hat to show his face laughing with a high-pitched horse whinny cackle. He walks in the room to Mayo and gives him a freindly bearhug belly to belly. Which was substaintial on both men. Mayo was in his 70's stood 5"10 about 275lb. And you all saw Tanaka. [Smile] I turned to my Dad and said softly, "That's Tanaka." I think my Dad who always insisted he hated wrestling, was more star struck than I was. Toru then slipped between myself and the table behind him shuffling side-ways to get a seat. (It truly was a small room) As his belly bumped mine(again, his was SUBSTAINTIAL)he said excuse me with no TINT of his apparent fake Japanese accent. The other thing that struck me was his height. He was no more than 5"6..MAYBE..5"7.I asked if he was coming back to the then WWF. He said he didn't know. My Dad then said to him, "He used to watch you all the time on aturday mornings when he was a kid." Tanaka not hearing the first part of his statement says, "Who used to watch me when he was a kid?"
My Dad gestured to me. "Oh, said Toru, "I was gonna say." [Big Grin] I chuckled. We small chatted briefly and I found him little boyish, almost silly. He directed most of his comments to my Dad. But when he spoke in a low clear UNACCENTED voice it threw me a curve.

--------------------
"There's ways of killin' yourself without killing yourself."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations