WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Rito Romero + Lou in Mexico

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rito Romero + Lou in Mexico
Jose Fernandez
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jose Fernandez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,

I recently heard that Rito Romero passed away in his hometown of Guadalajara, Jalisco on January 18th. He had a reputation as a technical master and a guy that could handle himself pretty well inside and outside the ring. You wrestled him several times, so what are your memories of him?

Also, I have been trying to compile a list of your Mexican tours. As far as I know you were there in 1954 (NWA title match vs. Gory Guerrero), 64 (with Black Shadow vs. Benny Galan and Rene Guajardo), 65 (with Blue Demon vs. Los Espantos), 1975 (vs. Mil Mascaras at Plaza Mexico -the infamous rainstorm match-, vs. Dixon in Puebla), and you also wrestled for UWA during the summer of 76, 77, 78 (vs. Canek), and you were ther in 1982 as a special ref in the main event of their anniversary show. I'd understand if you couldn't remember after such a long time, but do you remember any other of your Mexican tours? Among all the wrestlers you faced or saw there, who would you regard as the best? and the worst?

That's all. I think it's great that somebody like you is here to talk with fans like us. Many thanks for your time.

[This message has been edited by Jose Fernandez (edited 01-27-2001).]

IP: Logged
Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a lot of the worst, but Canek, Gory and Rito were the best. While all are on a par, Rito was a better performer - I think on personality alone. Canek and I did great business. All three were sort of heavyweights when most of hte guys were middle and lightweights. I saw Canek in Mexico last year and he still looks great.

I had not heard about Rito and I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear my friend has left us. WE had lost touch and no one I knew in Mexico knew where he was. Rito and I traveled Europe and all over together. There is so much to say about Rito. He was always having a great time and wanted everyone else to have fun too. Rito was the biggest Mexcian wrestler in the Southwest and the world. They loved him in France when he got into a fight with a French wrestler who thought Rito took advantage of him in the ring. (Which wasn't hard.) The Frenchman motioned a gun with his hand to threaten Rito. Rito stepped up in his face and said , "Hey! You ever hear of Pancho Villa?" as we all broke up, the Frenchman left the dressing room and never came back.

Rito married a young, beautiful leather heiress and they had several children. she was a lovely woman and the children were both beautiful and charming. Charlie and I took my sons, Bob and Pat, to visit them in Guadalahara in what must have been about 78.

I have missed Rito and am sad to know I will not see him again.

Lou

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations