WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Lou Thesz forum » Don Eagle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don Eagle
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 1950's, Indian wrestler Don Eagle was quite a sensation. Today, little is mentioned. What do you remember about him?
IP: Logged
Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was from Cognawaga (?), Quebec's Indian reservation, He was a fighter before he wrestled and was very colorful as a wrestling performer. I wreslted him in Montreal and he wasn't doing well as a wrestler, so when the ref called break he "copped a Sunday" on me. I went after him and took him down, did the step over toe hold and made him concede. His uncle, who posed as his father, told Eddie Quinn "he will never wrestle Thesz again!' To which Eddie repled, "He will never wrestle here again!"

Story has it his wife shot and killed him after many of his beatings. ( I guess he found someone he could beat.) She was not charged with any crime and left and went to Florida. The uncle asked her to come back, all was forgiven, for some sort of ceremony and they killed her. I guess wrestling tries to talk as little about his part of our profession as possible. But you asked.

Lou

harrywhite
Member # 740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for harrywhite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An old St Louis program had a photo of a certificate saying Don Eagle was a legit real Indian.(in retrospect with all "Indians" and "Germans" etc etc I am kind of amused by the legit certification)

Sam Muchnick's first sellout was Don Eagle/Buddy Rogers.

Lou Thesz
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lou Thesz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Harry,

That is pretty amusing. He was an American Indian, but not a credit to any race.

Lou

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump---One of Lou's best.--Yohe
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started thinking about Lou comments about Eagle reading a post at Kayfab memories & posted this. I did it cold, looking at the records of Thesz & Eagle, not remembering that a lot of this info was posted here by a lot of people including Mask and TTF. So:

If you check you'll find that Don Eagle was one, along with Rogers & Orville Brown, of the wrestlers booked by Sam Muchnick vs Thesz's St Louis promotion in the wrestling war of 1948 & 1949. He was one of the performers that forced Lou to merge with Sam. In 49 he main evented the last couple of shows booked by Sam.

Eagle wrestled NWA champion Thesz three time at end of 1949. On Oct. 9 & Nov. 9 at Des Moines and Oct. 12 in Montreal. All three matches had the same finish. Eagle lossed to the NWA champion via DQ. Eagle wouldn't put over the new world champ.

After Lou joins with Sam & controls St Louis, Eagle isn't booked into the town until April 6, 1950 vs Gorgeous George....a DQ loss. He doesn't return to ST Louis until July 1953. Thesz doesn't seem to want any of the workers that headlined for Sam in the war to get over in St Louis. LIke Buddy Rogers.

On May 23 1950, Eagle defeated Frank Sexton in Cleveland to win the AWA world champion. This is the same title that Thesz lost to Steve Casey in 1938 and, with a little help, be traced back to Gus Sonnenberg's win over Ed Lewis...and maybe even back to Gotch. We know Lou kind of left Sexton out of HOOKER even with Frank being the major champion on the east & west coast and parts of Europe. Its kind of like forgetting about Bruno Sammartino.

Lou and Eagle did wrestle each other again. On Nov. 26, 1956 they met again at Canton in a match we have no result for. Thesz had sold out his percentage of St Louis to Sam by then and Lou wasn't booking himself.

Anyway Sexton was champion for five years but no one tried a double cross or to screw him...maybe because he was a major hooker. But three days after winning the title, Eagle was double crossed by a referee in Chicago....probably a plot that Thesz was involved in.

It seems that Don Eagle was on the long list of professional rivals that Lou wouldn't put over in HOOKER or in wrestling's history.

I always liked Lou's story about the death of Eagle but you wonder if we need another source before writing it as fact.---Steve Yohe

[ 01-09-2008, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched the tape a buncha times and I'm still not sold on the GG doublecross.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Mister Hollywood
Member # 8547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mister Hollywood     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not anything near an 'istorian myself, but is there anything further out there about Don eagle's death?

An obit?

Any surviving children or family?

Greg Oliver
Member # 4391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Oliver   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google works. Don Eagle leads you to my story:
http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBios/eagle_don.html

There's more on him in my first book on The Canadians, and he's on the list for The Heroes.

His son is a noted composer.

--------------------
Greg Oliver
goliver845@gmail.com
Producer, SLAM! Wrestling
http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/home.html

ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/20/51 Newark, Ohio: Don Eagle(billed as world champ) def Frankie Talaber.

It looks like Eagle still had his claim when he had the injury in the Karl Davis match. (Did Davis win that match. He must have). I guess the Gorgeous George match and the injury really messed up the plans the midwest had for him. It is said he was out only 4 months. I assume he resumed his claim, but there were others in Ohio to confuse it, Rogers, Silverstein, etc.

BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I from FL:
I've watched the tape a buncha times and I'm still not sold on the GG doublecross.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Mask, is that tape offered by Wrestling Classics? I'd be interested in seeing this bit of history.
Good stuff guys, I read Billy Two Rivers cryptic comments in Greg's article regarding Don Eagle's demise. Not too much of a stretch to believe Lou's story reading those comments.

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

No it isn't, sorry.
top thesz fan
Member # 9538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for top thesz fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A newspaper report out of Montreal on Don Eagle's shooting says his real namne was Stanislaus Suplatowicz. What is THAT all about!?
Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

Yeah saw that. It's about somebody being very confused.
Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

Or a rib.
top thesz fan
Member # 9538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for top thesz fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A joke in a death notice? Is anyone that cruel?
top thesz fan
Member # 9538

Ran across another strange item somewhere. Writer was listing some of wrestling's uglies, and there was Don Eagle's name. "From getting hit in the nose by so many boxers", or something like that, the item said. Geez, this guy was a cover boy.
Crimson Mask I from FL
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by top thesz fan:
A joke in a death notice? Is anyone that cruel?

Not EXACTLY the same thing, but... yeah. Some people are.
Slick Skillet Mayhand
Member # 7165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slick Skillet Mayhand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That name was apparently a press release, because I found that same name in numerous contemporary sources about his death. It's also interesting that the names given to his children don't match up to "Flint Eagle" and "Jack Eagle," presumably his real-life sons. Possibly it was deliberately misleading to protect the family?

Interestingly, there was a Stanislaw Suplatowicz who was a sort of Canadian/Polish Indian--but had no wrestling connection.

And I wasn't able to verify a death notice for Beth Hamilton Eagle/Bell, under any sources or combinations of her names. Chief Jack Eagle, supposedly his son, has a website. Maybe he has some more info.

The Original BadstreetUSA
Member # 5830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Original BadstreetUSA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Oliver:
Google works. Don Eagle leads you to my story:
http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBios/eagle_don.html

There's more on him in my first book on The Canadians, and he's on the list for The Heroes.

His son is a noted composer.

Very nice piece; and it adds context to this whole story. Wild, fascinating stuff.
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

I'm going to bump this up. It's one of Lou's most interesting stories. I'm fighting with myself on weather to use it in my time line project. I still don't know if it's true, considering how he treats all his other professional rivals.

I don't know any Indians. From reading about them this doesn't sound like the culture.---Yohe

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Story has it" - doesn't seem like he held it to be the unadulterated truth.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

I'm trying to keep to the facts. Lou was consistent in bashing his rivals. & Eagle was one.--Yohe

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations