WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Victor Quinones was Gorilla Monsoon's Son?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Victor Quinones was Gorilla Monsoon's Son?
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most recent issue of Observer has a piece on Bruiser Brody's murder. Here's a sentence from it

quote:
Another issue is that I knew Quinones fairly well. He was Brody’s best friend in Puerto Rico and also was the son of Gorilla Monsoon, who was one of the original WWC owners who helped get the company off the ground in 1973 with Colon and Jovica.
Never knew Quinones was Monsoon's son (adopted I'm assuming). Did some searching and turns out Tim Hornbaker asked this question here in 2004 so I don't feel like a dope for not having known this

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=036259

IP: Logged
dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He may have been Gorilla's godson, or something else.

http://wrestlingsuperstore.com/shootinterviewwithcarloscolon.aspx

"WWC front office also included the late, great Victor Quinones, godson of Monsoon (ask about scurrilous accusations that Victor was actually Gorilla’s illegitimate child?)"

--------------------
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting....I think I was still subscribing to WON when Quinones died so may have to dig that issue out
stipe
Member # 115491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stipe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it somewhere too, and wondered ...

Elsewhere, I read that he was rich kid, from a very wealthy familly.

Timeline says that he was involved in wrestling bussiness as early as age of 16 (money mark ?).

Anyway, very interesting and controversal character.

--------------------
Bad english warning !

orpheus
Member # 4957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orpheus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found an old thread that raised this question, but no clear resolution...

stipe
Member # 115491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stipe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orpheus:

I think I have seen it somewhere too ... 😁

--------------------
Bad english warning !

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highly unlikely.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Somebody asked this to Meltzer on Twitter. He said in his reply to look at the NY Times obit. But the only info the Times had was what Tim Hornbaker copied in the thread linked twice in this thread [Smile]
orpheus
Member # 4957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orpheus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stipe:
quote:
Originally posted by orpheus:

I think I have seen it somewhere too ... 😁
Sorry, I totally missed that the link was already in the OP.

My bad.

David meltzer
Member # 2690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David meltzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When he passed away it was written in obits that he was Monsoon's son. He had always told me different but that info came from the family.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

So actually sounds like he was Monsoon's birth child. Most photos of Quinones has him wearing sunglasses so hard to tell but you look long and hard enough in ones where he's not wearing shades and you can kinda see some Marella in Quinones.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
So actually sounds like he was Monsoon's birth child. Most photos of Quinones has him wearing sunglasses so hard to tell but you look long and hard enough in ones where he's not wearing shades and you can kinda see some Marella in Quinones.

I just did a random google search just to see. Even with the glasses on in the one picture I saw of him of a side profile close up with cigar in mouth. There is definitely some similarities to Victor and a younger with facial hair Gino Monsoon.
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no mention of an adopted son in The New York Times obituary of "Gorilla Monsoon, 62, Villainous Pro Wrestler" under this headline written by Nick Ravo on October 8, 1999.

The last paragraph:

"...Gorilla Monsoon is survived by his wife, Maureen Marella; two daughters, Sharon Byrne of Marlton, N.J., and Valerie Marella of Willingboro; a son, Victor Quiones of San Juan, P.R.; his mother, Connie Marella of Las Vegas, Nev.; three sisters, and four grandchildren."

There never was a retraction/correction and that's critical. It's been over 18 years since Monsoon died. That's a long wait if you have a right to a correction, which his widow/heirs would have if the information above is in-error. Bill Apter is cited as a source for the information and Monsoon is alleged to have had over eight-thousand matches... Perhaps, if Apter was the source of that figure, one might have doubts about other asserted information. I don't know.

Ken

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations