WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » RIP - VIOLET RAY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RIP - VIOLET RAY
Tom Burke
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Burke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently learned about the passing of Violet Ray. Violet was a pioneer in girl wrestling wrestling with an all girl troupe in the 1950's to the late 70's. Traveling from town to town all over the US and Canada. She was windowed twice her first husband, Donald Van Fleet was the promoter and her manager. She later married Louis Lipp an associate of the promotions. The passing of Violet Ray ends a chapter in wrestling that has been lost in time.
IP: Logged
Mark from WA
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RIP
Rich Tate
Administrator
Member # 1374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Tate   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is all I have on Violet Ray. Was that her real name? Anyone have photos or any interesting info on her?

--------------------
Georgia Wrestling History

clawmaster64
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clawmaster64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have much on Violet Ray either Rich. Here's one card from a Minnesota independent promotion in 1952. Thanks to justahamandegger for finding it.

2/6/52 American House
Princess Romona beat Shirley Wifall
Romona Rundquist & Violet Ray beat Princess Romona & Marylin Margo
Ray pinned Shirley Smith
Rundquist pinned Margo
Att.-615

Andy Oren had this Florida lineup in his files.

Friday, February 19, 1965
Ocala - Dawn Eagle vs. Miss Kentuckian, Lady Bolo vs. Violet Ray.

--------------------
"We were so close, there was no room
We bled inside each others wounds
We all had caught the same disease
And we all sang the songs of peace"-- Melanie Safka

Paul Cross
Member # 128731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Cross     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Chris and Louie from when I was younger; they used to come out to my grandfather's house in Matter Georgia and stay in their camper. Louie was blind. I know some other things that I won't say out of respect but I will say he was a family man. My dad grew up around Mr. Van but I never met him. From what I hear he was a tough mama jama. He brought a wrestler up from Florida one time named ox baker. They stopped at my other grandfather's bar in Kite Georgia and ox tried to give my dad a stolen bike. My grandpa hated a thief, so he told him to take it back. Long story short, ox got mad and crushed the bike with his hands, and wound up knocked out by my grandpa and landed on the hood of a parked car. When he came to, he was yelling And growling like and drunk bear so my grandma sprayed him in the mouth with pepper spray. After that, ox ran up to the brick wall and banged his head up against it until he knocked himself unconscious. He was a tough guy but my grandfather was solid steel. They called my grandfather gorgeous george and he actually met my grandmother in the ring, I think she wrestled under either wildcat kate, or hillbilly kate or something like that. She was a tough old bat I can tell you that.
Chrisbrgstrm from OR
Member # 7948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chrisbrgstrm from OR   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a photo
 -
https://img0.newspapers.com/img/img?id=70083120&width=557&height=432&crop=3025_5732_541_428&rotation=0&brightness=0&contrast=0&invert=0&ts=1498551212&h=7ef6dd5982399070fc9cb7fbdcf8 6092
 -

Apparently she is billed as Women's Light Heavyweight Champion of the world in 1961
 -
 -

[ 06-27-2017, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Chrisbrgstrm from OR ]

--------------------
DXellence - Wrestling's newest and greatest wrestling forum, Fantasy Tournaments, Hall Of Fame, Book and Movie Reviews, Weekly TV Discussion for Raw, Smackdown, TNA Impact and ECW, aswell as discussions involving all things wrestling.

http://dxcellence.muux.org

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations