WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » anyone remember "Dapper Dan" in Ohio back in the '60's? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: anyone remember "Dapper Dan" in Ohio back in the '60's?
evensout
Member # 5985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evensout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to find any info/pics ...whatever on some old wrestlers from the '60's. Dapper Dan
wrestled in Ohio, Indiana, tag teamed with "Genleman" tony Christie. The Hangmen wreslted in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan...carried hang men's nooses that they used on opponents.

IP: Logged
Portalesman
Member # 2530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portalesman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Im a Dapper Dan man. I dont want no #@#$#%*^^ FOP.

[ 02-18-2006, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Portalesman ]

Zarr Zanyo
Member # 618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zarr Zanyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always announced as being from Indianapolis Indiana, Dapper Dan was from Columbus, Ohio, his real name may have been Bill Hess. Not sure who trained him, could have been Al Haft, or maybe Hank Vest. I saw him work in the late 1960's, he was an great heel. He could really work the crowd. Dapper weighed about 150 lbs. but just like everyone else back in the day, he was announced at 205 lbs.

Dapper Dan still wrestled some in the 1980's teaming with his son who worked under the name Billy Valentine. I never got a chance to work Dan, I was on some shows that he booked and I did get to work with his son, who was a smooth worker.

I never heard of Tony Cristie. Dapper Dan tagged alot with Dapper Don, who later wrestled under the name J.W. Hawk.

I remember a wrestler working in Ohio under the name The Hangman. He dressed in all red and carried the hangmans noose (as most all Hangman probably did). I had heard one time who he was but I do not remember.

[ 02-18-2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Zarr Zanyo ]

p-man from MD
Member # 937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p-man from MD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't he do mixed tags with Dressy Bessy?
Marty Goldstein from WA
Member # 1918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Goldstein from WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zarr Zanyo did you work for Lars in 1981 or so?

--------------------
www.citycircus.ca
Canadian politics and civic affairs and sometimes wrestling.

Twitter: @TGCTS
Read my stories on Slam! Wrestling too!

Zarr Zanyo
Member # 618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zarr Zanyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Zarr Zanyo did you work for Lars in 1981 or so?
I never worked for Lars. I met him at a show in Lancaster, Ohio around '80 or '81. The show was promoted by the Hogg Brothers and used wrestlers from the Bruisers WWA, wrestlers from central Ohio and some boys from Pittsburgh, including Brian Hilderbrand.
Zarr Zanyo
Member # 618

Anyone remember any of these other wrestlers that worked some of the same shows as Dapper Dan in the 1960's.

Flying Rick Jason
Chuck Siders
Big John Calloway
Joe Collins
Jerry Hart
Chet Hart
Jerry LaBell
Billy Crabtree (aka Bill LaBell)
J.W. Hawk
Batman and Robin
Brad Hilas (Brown)

[ 02-19-2006, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Zarr Zanyo ]

Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember "Dapper Dan" or any of the names on the long list appearing here in the 1960's.
timtass
Member # 5914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timtass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only hangman I remember was a guy named Jim Grabmire. he was from Ohio, tall, I remember he was cross eyed. But he wrestled for bruiser for a bit and they went back and forth between jim grabmire and calling him the hangman. not sure why.

as far as the other list don't know or heard of any of them.

--------------------
Tim Tassler
AWA/NWA/WWA fan

evensout
Member # 5985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evensout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info on "Dapper Dan"...as for the hangman/Tony Christie: my Dad knew TC's Father and told me that his name was Tony Christie...this could have been his real name, not the one he used, heck I was a little kid & it was 40 years ago! But TC would get me in the shows and introduced me to some of the wrestlers,
remember Dapper Dan, also Joe Collins, Chico Garcia. Saw TC wrestle under the hangman guise with another hangman, seem to remember him calling the other guy "LaBell" so it could have been one of the LaBell's on the list. Last match I remember seeing him in, before we moved out of state, had him teaming with Joe Collins and they had tag team belts, though I don't remember what
ones, ie north american, us, etc..and I believe they were actually the face team in this match.
I remember these guys could really get the crowd going!

Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember "Chico Garcia" from the wrestling promotion out of Southwest & Central Ohio in 1969 & 1970 that I have referred to previously in posts. I heard him introduced as from Mexico City, but after matches he had a regular-sounding Midwestern accent. Once I heard "Chico" talk about Griesedieck Beer although he said he had heard it pronounced slightly different in a St. Louis bar that he was visiting.

[ 02-22-2006, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Cincinnati Kid ]

Zarr Zanyo
Member # 618

quote:
Anyone remember any of these other wrestlers that worked some of the same shows as Dapper Dan in the 1960's.

Flying Rick Jason
Chuck Siders
Big John Calloway
Joe Collins
Jerry Hart
Chet Hart
Jerry LaBell
Billy Crabtree (aka Bill LaBell)
J.W. Hawk
Batman and Robin
Brad Hilas (Brown)

Most of these guys were from Ohio and had ties to Al Haft. They worked a lot of shows in the 60's and 70's in small towns all over Ohio and West Va. Although the term "Indys" did not exist back then that is what it was. Flying Rick Jason, real name Rick Rose promoted and booked a lot of the shows.

Cincinnati Kid: Flying Rick Jason also worked under a mask and refereed for the 1969 Dayton promotion that we have discussed.

Chuck Siders often teamed with Rick Jason. Chuck also worked undr the name Billy "Red" Darnell

Big John got back into wrestling in the late 1970's. I worked some shows with him. He told stories about working all over the country in the 1950's. He talked about working with Bill and Dan Miller.

With the exception of Brad Brown I met and worked with most of these guys.

I remember Chico Garica also. Some other wrestlers that worked with this group in the early 1960s was Leon Graham(sp?)and Tiger Jack Vansky.

Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw old posting about dapper Dan they wanted to know who trained Dan it was my dad Chuck Siders and Chet Hart
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Jack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There also was a list of wrestlers most from col. Oh. Area 1960s to late 1970s I knew all wrestlers and more
Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Board. We're sure that you have some good stories
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Thank you. I came from a wrestling family my dad was Chuck Siders his cousins were dapper Dan and Ralph Whaley also my grand father the Cuban Angel

[ 12-10-2017, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Billy Jack ]

Billy Jack
Member # 128901

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Jack:
Thank you. I came from a wrestling family my dad was Chuck Siders his cousins were dapper Dan and Ralph Whaley also my grand father the cuban angel

Billy Jack
Member # 128901

I saw your message about wrestling my dad took me there about 1960 and 61 my dad was Chuck siders he started wrestling with rex rose about 1965
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Once in73 or 74 went down to Ashland ky with my dad Chuck Siders and dapper Dan Billy Crabtree Don vest jw hawk promoter rip Collins. We also had matches in Jackson oh. Seen buddy Donavan there 2or 3 times promoter was my dad and Joe Collins
uncle buck
Member # 64636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle buck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Dapper Dan and Chico Garcia wrestling on Dayton, Ohio t.v. "Wrestling Show Classics"...an indy promotionthat featured Bruno's old manager Bobby Davis, Mark Lewin, and (part owner?) Carlos Colon....I remember one feud was J.C. Higgins against his (kayfabe) brother P.J. Higgins...there was a heel manager, a Scotsman named named Sir James MacDougal who would sometimes lose his heavy Scottish accent midwy through his on-air promos...I know they ran Dayton'sHaraArena but I don't think they ever wrestling in Cincinnati...this had to be late '60's or early '70's
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Yes Bobby Davis was the psromoter 1969 an 70 here are some guys that worked rick jason chuck Siders dapper Dan jw. Hawk mark Lewin Jack vanskey Carl cox Don vest they worked col cin. Dayton. Oh.
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Ablso buddy Rogers and Johnny bartend worked a couple shows
Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Jack:
Ablso buddy Rogers and Johnny bartend worked a couple shows

Bobby Davis had managed Buddy Rogers and maybe Barend
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Yes Davis did manage both Ro
Rogers and barend Davis
also wrestled early 60s for al haft col oh I think that's where he first met rex rose

mike zim
Member # 24385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike zim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what WrestlingData lists:

Real Name William Franklin Hess Sr.
Weight and Height 220 lbs. (100 kg) at 5'11'' (1.80 m)
Birthplace Columbus, Ohio (United States of America)
Date of Birth 10th September 1936
Date of Death 13th July 2013
Alias Dapper Dan, Jimmy Valentine
Familiy Tie Dapper Dan was the father of Billy Valentine.
Trainer: Was trained by Al Haft.
1 match in 1969
4 in 1972
7 in 1973

http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=bios&wrestler=27580

--------------------
mike zim

Billy Jack
Member # 128901

DAPPER DAN NEVER WORKED AL HAFT BILL STARTED WRESTLING ABOUT 1966 AL HAFT SHUT DOWN IN 1963
Indikator
Member # 4922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indikator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC Al was mentioned in his obituary, which is why I added the connection. I always wondered if he was also Cyclone Hess, hopefully you can help us these kind of questions.

So for the Wrestling Classics promotion they had the original Buddy Rogers but a new Billy Darnell (so not the chiropractor who seemingly retired in 1961), or have I misread?

Anyways, if you drop me a private message we can fix/improve some biographies, which I would really love to do as those 60s Ohio local wrestlers are a intriguing bunch.

--------------------
Newsreels or it didn't happen

Billy Jack
Member # 128901

My dad started wrestling in 1965 under his name Chuck Siders then 69 or 70 went to Billy red darnell he was not the one from fiftys
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Anyone know who the promoter was at connersvill Indiana in 1973 my dad Chuck Siders wrestled there a few times I think hank vest and pat patterson wrestled on that show
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Bill Hess aka dapper Dan never wrestled as cyclone Hess that must have been someone else
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

I would like to know zar,zanyo,s ring name because as much as u know about rex rose Chuck Siders and all the guys on that list l must know u
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

I wanted 2 see anyone remembers Hart brothers j erry and Chet started 1960 or 61 4 AL haft then worked 4 rex rose 1965 til 1979 or 1980
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

I seen an old show card posted on Ohio hall of fame zarr zanyo vers handsom Dan I guess that was your ring name I don't remember u but I didn't go to many shows after 1981
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Did u ever work with Chet or jerry Hart or Ray serber his ring names were jerry labell and chief Ray fleetfoot these guys could really work the crowd
Zarr Zanyo member 618
Member # 128523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zarr Zanyo member 618     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy Jack: I have been off the board for awhile and just saw your post. I sent you a Private Message through the message board.

[ 03-05-2018, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Zarr Zanyo member 618 ]

Billy Jack
Member # 128901

I don't see a private message maybe I'm not going to right place to find it
Zarr Zanyo member 618
Member # 128523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zarr Zanyo member 618     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click on the little envelope between the ? and the pencil.
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

There's a wrestling show this Saturday in circlevill 0h.says it is big time wrestling I may take grandkids
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

Went to circlevill oh show they had a good crowd didn't see anyone I knew there was a man with table set up with metravillya from 1960s all about Leon Gramm the man told me he also wrestled the crowd so loud I didn't hear his name he said he knew dad
Billy Jack
Member # 128901

I'm sorry zarr I still never got your per.message I clicked envelop got nothing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations