WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Question for Jerry Jarrett on Tojo and Dandy Jack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Jerry Jarrett on Tojo and Dandy Jack
The Dark Knight!
Member # 2165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Dark Knight!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, we're all looking forward to hearing some of your memories of the old days of southern wrestling. To start off, I'm reprinting an old post by David Williamson, who is an encyclopedia
of southern wrestling knowledge and whom you probably know (david I hope you dont mind, the original item was too old to bump), about an incident involving you and Fargo and Tojo and Dandy Jack. This caused a lot of debate here back a couple of years ago:

Originally posted by David Williamson (Lucas):

"One BAD thing that Tojo REALLY DID do back in 1973, with the help of Jackie Fargo & Jerry Jarrett (all 3 popular faces at the time), at the tv tapings in Nashville, was jump "Dandy" Jack Donovan (Jack Dunnivant) in a private room.
Donovan (a heel there then) had refused to go along with promoter Nick Gulas, and help "screw" Knoxville promoter John Cazana on a deal (Cazana was good to Jack in Knoxville, and used Jack well there). To get back at Donovan for not helping out, the three (Tojo, Jarrett, & Fargo) jumped Donovan , and while Fargo & Jarrett held Donovan, Tojo used his wooden shoe to really open Jack's head up BAD, and he bled ALOT, and ended up in the hospital, getting a lot of stitches.
This is a legit story, as Len & Joey Rossi were there when it happened , and saw Jack right after it happened. Joey Rossi's version of this, plus Jack's detailed version of this story appeared in 2 separate back issues of Scott Teal's "Whatever Happened To..?" wrestling bulletin a few years back, plus Jack himself told me the gory details in a phone call with him (from his Montgomery, Ala. home) 3-4 years ago. So, Tojo did have a LEGIT bad side, at times"

Jerry is that close to the real story? What really happened then?

[ 06-18-2002, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: The Dark Knight! ]

IP: Logged
The Dark Knight!
Member # 2165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Dark Knight!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Bump!*

Were wrestling promoters in those days like mafia godfathers, and by doing this, were Jarrett and Tojo "making their bones" with Gulas?

Jerry Jarrett
Member # 2814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Jarrett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like most old war stories, this one is part true and part false. The incident had nothing to do with the Knoxville area. It was a personal issue between Jack and Tojo. During the match the night before in Louisville, Ky., an altercation between Jack and Tojo took place. I was not booked on the card that night and could only get reports from the wrestlers. There was conflict in the reports. Most of the wrestlers on the card did not see what happened. Tojo came to my house after the Louisville matches and explained his version of the incident. Tojo's version was that Jack jumped him from behind and stuck his finger in Tojo's eye. The ref. said that it happened so quick and he thought they were still working. The only wrestlers to report that they saw what happened were the McGuire Twins. Their version matched Tojo's, but they were in the back of the arena and not near ringside. Tojo told me that he was going to confront Jack on sight unless I sent Jack packing. I explained that I would not act on the matter because I did not know what happened to cause the problem. I told Tojo to do whatever he had to do, but the office could not get involved with so little information. I was personal friends with Tojo and anything I did would appear biased. The next morning we all went to the television station for pre-tape interviews. When I walked in, Len Rossi told me that there had been a problem between Jack and Tojo and that Jack was his friend and when Tojo arrived he expected trouble. I advised Len to stay out of it and let Tojo and Jack settle their problem. Len said something to the effect that Jack was his buddy and he would get involved if a fight started. I laughed at Rossi, because he was never known as a fighter and I knew Tojo and Fargo were riding together to the tv station, and Fargo did not like Rossi to begin with. When Tojo arrived, he walked over to the McGuire Twins and spoke to them. Next Tojo walked into a dressing area and closed the door. The McGuire Twins sat with their backs to the door. I was on the set making an interview with Nick Gulas. We could hear the fight and Nick ask, "what the hell is going on?" We jumped up, went to the room as Tojo was walking out. Jack was in a pretty bad shape on the floor and was bleeding. Someone took Jack to get his head sewed up. Jack left the area shortly after this incident. Now for my guesses as to Jack' version. I know Jack and Tojo had a problem in Louisville. I have no idea what caused it. I would guess that Jack thought he would have trouble with Fargo and I because of his problem with Tojo. Fargo, Tojo and I were very good friends. I'll guess that Jack told Rossi that he expected the three of us to jump him at tv and this was on his mind when Tojo walked into the dressing room. I'm guessing that after Tojo beat him, probably with the wooden shoe, Jack may have thought several people were on him. I believe this because that was Jack's version right after it happened. There were at least 10 wrestlers who were there when it happened, so Jack would know that everyone would know that only Tojo went into the room.
BeachinBill
Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachinBill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, Thanks for responding. There's a lot of good information in your story. I never knew Jackie Fargo and Len Rossi didn't like each other. Is that one reason why Fargo was in Memphis on Monday's nights for years and Rossi was in Birmingham on Monday nights?

BTW, I was a Birmingham regular on Monday nights during the late 60's - early 70's. I saw some of your first matches. You were very entertaining from the beginning. I remember you doing the heel thing with Tojo when you were first starting out. Were you only a heel in Birmingham?

wildog
Member # 595

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wildog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh,and for all you folks who dont know..NWA is on free Tv now..Bert Prentice's time slot has the new promotion's recap of wednesdays show's on it..So you all will know what's going on now.. [Smile]
Jerry Jarrett
Member # 2814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Jarrett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Len was Nick's boy and there was a lot of jealously between Jackie and Len. It only grew after we popped Memphis and began drawing more money on Monday night than Nick's end drew all week.
Tojo kept telling me it was more fun to work heel. I went to Birmingham and tried it. If you remember it was a short run. On night Tojo and I left the tv station and some nut chased us out of town shooting a gun at us. I thought is would be cute to tell the men in Alabama to keep their women at home because I needed a little sleep before my matches. Well I guess this guy's wife was a rover and in his drunken state, thought he had found his wife's lover. I told Tojo that I did not agree that heel was any fun at all and we went back to Memphis.
Jerry

BeachinBill
Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachinBill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinks Jerry. I missed your show last week, but I'm going to try to see it one way or the other next time. My father who's 73 and a life-long wrestling fan did see the show and loved it. I had dinner with him earlier today and brought your name up. He said, "Yeah I remember seeing him team with Tojo - or was that Tor Yamato? Your heel work may have been brief, but it was memorable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations