WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Yukon Eric

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yukon Eric
Erik Holmback
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Holmback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Mark - I am Yukon Eric's son and had met both you and Lou Thesz back in the 80's in San Antonio. I'm enjoying the site and all the stories/comments about my dad. I also have been collecting his memorabilia over the past few years and there is one item that I'd love to track down. I'm pretty sure that he had a pair of his boots bronzed, but I'm not sure what happened to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Erik
IP: Logged
HarryWhite3
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HarryWhite3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y Eric had a few runs in St Louis. In an old program a claim was made for biggest chest in wrestling.
Also a few old magazines also mentioned him as a candidate for stongest wrestler. Was he one of the strongest?

Erik Holmback
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erik Holmback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read and heard (many who knew him have told me stories of the amounts he used to lift), I'd have to say yes.
5th Horseman
Member # 1176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5th Horseman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HarryWhite3:
In an old program a claim was made for biggest chest in wrestling.

A reputation that apparently lasted for many years. In 1981, when heel manager Luscious Johnny Valiant "introduced" a new then-heel Hulk Hogan to the AWA, Valiant talked about how some people claimed that Yukon Eric had a big chest, and then bragged that Hulk Hogan had a bigger chest than Yukon Eric, as well as 24-inch arms.

ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old were you when Eric Holmback died? Can you tell us any stories? I recall seeing him in a title shot against Thesz in St. Louis. He was big there around 1953. The last match of his I saw has always puzzled me. It was near the end of his life and he wrestled Duke Keomuka in a semi-windup in St. Louis. With the match just beginning, Keomuka had him on the mat, administered a judo chop or two to the throat and pinned him. No build up, no nothing. Hardly a fitting program for a star or former star. Both wrestlers vanished from the area, and certainly Keomuka got no build-up from this match. Know anything of this? I figure it was for real, for some reason.
ttf
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall that Yukon Eric and Billy Watson were prone to miss matches in St. Louis due to getting snowed in in Canada.
Erik Holmback
Member # 2254

I was 6 years old at the time and don't have any memories of him, so all my stories are ones that I've enjoyed hearing from other wrestlers and fans. I have no idea on what happened with the Duke Keomuka match - interesting though.
Richard Steinborn
Member # 2132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Steinborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Holmback:
Hello Mark - I am Yukon Eric's son and had met both you and Lou Thesz back in the 80's in San Antonio. I'm enjoying the site and all the stories/comments about my dad. I also have been collecting his memorabilia over the past few years and there is one item that I'd love to track down. I'm pretty sure that he had a pair of his boots bronzed, but I'm not sure what happened to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Erik

Hello Young Eric, Glad to hear you are on this board.I, personally never heard of any bronze boots of your Dads. I`ll try to enlighten you on what I knew of your Dad, and what I heard years ago. When I was about 13 or 14, I used to sit in the dressing rooms in some of the NY arenas, and associate with your father. Since my father was a name in the wrestling business, I was cutting my teeth early in my age, and knew most of the boys around NY. It was always something, to see your Dad step into the ring with a long black satin robe on. While getting instructions, his robe would slowly open, and expose his 64 " chest. Since my fathers chest was 55", they always had something in common, because their rib cages were exceddingly large. Years later, after I had turned pro, I was your Dads tag partner in some events in Florida. In fact, he and I were tag partners in Tampa Florida, against The Assissins, This was your Dads last match. This was a few days before your Dad took his life. I still have some pictures of our last match together, hanging in my gymnasium. I don`t know what you know, but having children of my own, I`m sure you`ll respect my honesty, when I tell you of what I knew back in those days.We heard there was a divorce, and your Dad was unable to locate you two boys. Since he was such a mild mannered man, I guess this brooding got to him. He could`nt find his children for 1 year( we were told)After our last match on Tuesday night, he missed Wednesdays St Petersburg booking, also he was a no show Thursday in Ft. Lauderdale. Friday morning, my Dad showed up at my door, to tell me that Cowboy Lattrell from Tampa had called him to say of Erics demise. What we were later told was that your Dad drove to Macon Georgia. He had a friend who was a conductor of a train, who also wrestled and promoted in Macon. Your dad called him not saying who he was, on the phone, and the wife said she could not awaken her husband until 4.30. This call was made at 4. Your Dad wanted him to keep his car, while he was going to catch an airplane out of Atlanta, to where he thought evidence of your whereabouts was. Despondent as he wight well have been, he then drove to ( I believe it was Cartersville Georgia) He checked into a motel, he wrote a suicide note, and got back into his Lincoln. He backed up about 10 feet, stopped and slowly returned to his parking spot. He did this 2 or 3 times, this was witnessed by the motel manager. He then drove to the church where he had married your mother, and pulled up under an oak tree, and stopped on the red Georgia clay. With a .22 pistol he ended his life, and slumped over the steering wheel, where the horn sounded for almost 2 hours. Some people walked close by, but never close enough to understand what happened. You have the right today to go through the courts in Georgia, to attain your fathers suiside note. That is, if it has`nt been claimed already. Your Dad had a great reputation of being a mild mannered person. He was a big name in our business, and a ctedit to the game. I hope I have not offended anyone in my association with a terrible thing that happened in my life, some years before. Please feel free to contact me at anytime if you would like.
The person in Macon was Choo Choo Lynn. DS

ttf
Member # 34

Hardly worth a mention after that message, but I think in St. Louis Yukon always wore that short "Yukon" jacket that he had in pictures, never a robe. I think the match I saw against Thesz ended in a dq for Yukon for refusing to break a bear hug. Was he really from Alaska? A shame you never saw him wrestle. He cut a very mysterious figure.
ttf
Member # 34

Did you ever see the parody in Mad Magazine of a match between Yukon Eric and Antonio Rocca? It was in one of the earliest issues, when it was still a comic book. I'm sure it has been reprinted in one of the Mad anthologies.
ttf
Member # 34

Come to think of it, he just wore that checkered open red flannel shirt into the ring.
ttf
Member # 34

Did you see him on the Body Slam tv show last nite?
Erik Holmback
Member # 2254

quote:
Originally posted by ttf:
Did you ever see the parody in Mad Magazine of a match between Yukon Eric and Antonio Rocca? It was in one of the earliest issues, when it was still a comic book. I'm sure it has been reprinted in one of the Mad anthologies.

No I didn't - I'll try and find it.

Erik Holmback
Member # 2254

quote:
Originally posted by ttf:
Did you see him on the Body Slam tv show last nite?

Missed it - was it on ESPN and do you know if it will air again?

Crimson Mask I
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erik, welcome.

I was a kid watching your dad in Florida when he took his life and it was really upsetting just as a fan. I can only imagine what you all must have gone through.

We have some of his matches in the Video Store. Please take a look.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Mr. Florida
Member # 3667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Florida   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask I:
Erik, welcome.

I was a kid watching your dad in Florida when he took his life and it was really upsetting just as a fan. I can only imagine what you all must have gone through.

We have some of his matches in the Video Store. Please take a look.

So long from the Sunshine State!

Ditto. Here's your Dad's last TV match that played around the CWF circuit that week and his last match, the one Dick Steinborn's talking about:

*Tampa, Florida Sportatorium Championship Wrestling From Florida TV taping Saturday January 9, 1965 11am*

1.- Danny Miller pinned Tony Marino

2.- Yukon Eric upended Pedro Zapata

3.- (Main Event Australian Tag Team Match 2 Out Of 3 Falls With TV Time Remaining)
Fred Blassie & Tarzan Tyler defeated Chief Little Eagle & George 'Catalina' Drake

*Tampa, Florida Fort Homer Hesterly Armory Tuesday Night January 12, 1965 8:30pm*

1.- (Australian Tag Team Match)
Danny Miller & Chief Little Eagle over Corsica Jean & Corsica Joe

2.- (Special Challenge Match 1 Fall To A Finish)
Big Bob Orton took George 'Catalina' Drake

3.- (Semifinal Grudge Match 2 Out Of 3 Falls)
Fred Blassie beat Tito Carreon

4.- (Main Event Australian Tag Team Match 2 Out Of 3 Falls)
Mammoth Alaskan Yukon Eric & Florida's Dick Steinborn defeated The Assassins (Tom Renesto & Joe Hamilton) via COR.

Lightnin'
Member # 1834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightnin'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Corsica Jean and Corsica Joe were the NWA Southern Tag Team Champions.
mrtango10
Member # 889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrtango10   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 1960s Yukon Eric feuded with Gene Kiniski in the AWA. I remember an interview in Minneapolis, he said he was training for the match by not shaving this week. He threatened he'll be in the ring with a rough beard!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations