WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Wrestling Board Games similar to APBA or Strat O Matic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wrestling Board Games similar to APBA or Strat O Matic
Steve Gennarelli
Member # 147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has there ever been a board game "realistic"
and playable based on real pro wrestlers the way APBA or Strat O Matic recreates a baseball game?

IP: Logged
Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the Superstar Wrestling game , WAS the closest board game to realism as you could get. The game has been out of circulation for awhile now....On the PC Either Rampage Wrestling (From Lance Haffner Games) or The Wrestling Simulator is you best bet in that area. Rampage you are able to control the grapplers more, while The Wrestling Simulator is more of a "read the action". Both are text based, it's just Rampage you can select a wrestler's particular holds/moves while the Simulator gives a wider array of matches! I do not know the links, but if you use the search you should find more info on both games!

Garrett
Member # 1003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garrett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNM is a good wrestling simulator on the internet. Allows you to create wrestlers assign moves, finisher, dives, favorite weapons and much more plus a huge amount of gimmick matches.
CraigK
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rampage is a good games, but is limited in the ammount of belts, and types of matches you can have.

The belts are limited to the ones in the games. Also, there is no way to set up a fed on the computer. That needs to be done via paper & pencil.

Also the types of matches is more limited. While it has single, tag, 6-man tag, cage, war, Battle Royal & Royal rumble, that's about it. No ladder, 3-way, 4-way, glove, chain, etc.

Also, wrestlers are disqualified way to easy.

I've had Rampage for several years, and still enjoy it, but may look to move to TNM7 at some point.

lobo
Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 2 new boardgames on
the market.One is called Face-To-The-
Mat.You can find a description of
the game at www.plaay.com
The second game is called
World's Finest Pro Wrestling
Game.You can read the game's
designer's comments at www.delphi.com/tabletopsports/start
Go to the thread entitled
World's Finest Pro Wrestling Game.
The Delphi forum covers many
sports games.You can register
with your own password (no charge).
You can also email the inventor of
WFPWG at tommyvogel@aol.com
I am in no way associated
with these two games' designers
other than the fact that I enjoy playing
sports games.

Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That TNM game is the Wrestling Simulator I mentioned in my earlier posts. What Craig says about Rampage is true, but I still get a kick out of it once in awhile...I only played TNM's trial version. While it seems to offer more, the action is more controlled since it is a simulator. I will check out those other games...

Andrew Evans
Member # 940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew Evans     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, this isn't a board game or anything, but it's a PC game for running in DOS called Extreme Warfare and is well worth a look!

You can get it free by downloading it (small download) from the official site:
http://members.aol.com/exwarfare1/private/index.html

OK, enough already.

Andrew Evans.

k2doe
Member # 744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k2doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coolest thing I ever did with Rampage was to run a twenty man tournament with the top WCW guys about three years ago (Hart was in it, but Flair was not because he was on his hiatus). Each guy wrestled the other 19, 5 times and I kept won-loss records. Then after I completed it, I went to the playoffs with 5 or 6 wrestlers. Hart won it all (both regular season and playoffs). Sting was damn tough though (that baseball bat move was a killer). Hogan did not make the finals (it went down to the wire, but he "choked". Other top guys were Nash and The Giant. Guys who were surprisingly tough and did well were: Fit Finlay and Dean Malenko. Guys who did poorly were: Hall, Benoit & Konnan. Was real separation of talent. Just a game, but it really built the tension of the standings with that many rounds
Dick The Bruised
Member # 659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dick The Bruised   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember APBA Baseball! I used to play it quite a bit in the late 70's and early 80's. Or, at least those were the years my buddy had to play with.

Remember Micky Klutz? A VERY forgettable "Real Player" but quite possibly the biggest STUD to EVER play APBA. He had 3 "First Roll" Home Runs (11, 33 and 66). I've never seen anybody with more than 2 (11 and 66). Maybe Sosa and McGwyerm, but I haven't seen their cards.

Is that game available in a computer form?

mr. man
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody have the old Von Erichs board game? With Hernandez, Adams, Gang and Kiniski as the heels?
RebsCager
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RebsCager         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, the APBA games are now computerized as well as in the standard card form. Besides baseball, they offer just about every other sports game, including hockey.

I've got baseball sets from 1962-64, c. 1977, and 1993 (or 1994). Still fun to play.

Jm
Member # 71

I remember that World Class game...My friend bought it and I never played it. It seemed like a version of WWF's Superstars board game and Cribbage....Anyone remember that gem...A wrestler is assigned a favorite move on their wrestling card and when they land on the space they get a peg on their card. They get to use the move when they challenge their opponent...It was really lousy, even to a 12 year-old! LOL

CraigK
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Jm & other Rampage Wrestling players;

I am looking on adding some of the pre-80s greats to my Rampage Wrestling that weren't included in the game. Guys like

Killer Kowalski
Pat Patterson
Ray Stevens
Toru Tanaka
Wilbur Snyder
etc.

If you have any of these, please let me know.

Thanks

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is an old topic, but it was something I was searching for...

Did anyone have the Superstar Pro Wrestling game advertised in the old Apter Mags?

A friend and I had it (both editions) and played it constantly. We'd make up new cards for different wrestlers that weren't in there, and split the whole thing up into territories with lots of titles.. I still have some, but not all of the old stuff for it somewhere.

bingo914
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bingo914     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr. disco:
this is an old topic, but it was something I was searching for...

Did anyone have the Superstar Pro Wrestling game advertised in the old Apter Mags?

A friend and I had it (both editions) and played it constantly. We'd make up new cards for different wrestlers that weren't in there, and split the whole thing up into territories with lots of titles.. I still have some, but not all of the old stuff for it somewhere.

I have it sitting on my computer desk at home. I talked with Mark and Mask about doing a tournament here. They gave me the ok but real life got in the way. I am hope to do it this fall if they will allow it. It is a great game. Mine came with the original 60 wrstlers and I had made like another 50 wrestlers from like 1985-1988. I look at some of them know and say ugh to myself.

Who the hell is Dr. Red Fang.

The Mississippi Mauler mark II
Member # 1561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mississippi Mauler mark II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always enjoyed the Champions of the Galaxy, not exactly a simulator, it was still a coll game.
SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the Superstar Wrestling Game too! I think it was about 1982 or 1983.

Anyway, a friend and I put together a NCAA basketball style tournament for the championshipwith all sixty or so wrestlers entered. We randomly drew each name for the first round bracketing. It took a few weeks to complete. The finals came down to Andre the Giant vs. Bob Backlund with Backlund winning the title.

I've also wondered who in the world Dr. Red Fang was.

bingo914
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bingo914     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SWW72:
I had the Superstar Wrestling Game too! I think it was about 1982 or 1983.

Anyway, a friend and I put together a NCAA basketball style tournament for the championshipwith all sixty or so wrestlers entered. We randomly drew each name for the first round bracketing. It took a few weeks to complete. The finals came down to Andre the Giant vs. Bob Backlund with Backlund winning the title.

I've also wondered who in the world Dr. Red Fang was.

I did the samething with my game when I first got it. Tito Santana was my winner.

plmathfoto
Member # 1087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plmathfoto   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still play APBA Baseball. It is available on both computer and board games. Also, I actually had the original Superstar of Wrestling boardgames, still have it, I even helped develop some of the cards for the wrestlers, and have a couple of old bulletins from it. Psycho me actually did a total round robin Junior tourney with 235 and under guys (actually many times), and world title tourneys, etc.. I've always had too much time on my hands I guess! Have fun!
X-Pac's #1 Fan
Member # 1655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for X-Pac's #1 Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Have the Superstar Wrestling Game too. Dr. Red Fang, ha ha. I just loved the Transylvanian Piledriver. Whatever that was.
Bob Jinkerson
Member # 315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Jinkerson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to second Lobo's comments on the "Wrestling's Finest" game. It is the best I have ever played. If you go to the Delphi Forum you can see all kinds of results and comments from the game designer (including some results of mine). Very realistic and fun besides.

It is a thing of beauty to an "old schooler" like myself, but it also incorporates what is going on today, too. You can replay classic matches, play along current storylines or see what might have happened between superstars of yesterday and today. A great game!

Plowboy from WA
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Plowboy from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by X-Pac's #1 Fan:
I Have the Superstar Wrestling Game too. Dr. Red Fang, ha ha. I just loved the Transylvanian Piledriver. Whatever that was.

I heard the game company just made him up. There has never been a Dr. Red Fang as far as anybody I have ever talked to knows. I think he was used as a part of a contest, which explains why there were "Mystery Wrestler" cards added at a certain point.

The game was fun, but they made certain wrestlers too weak -- Mad Dog Vachon, Wrestling II -- and some WAY too strong -- Volkoff, OMG. Still, we loved playing it in the early 1980's, when there were few alternatives out there. Nintendo Pro Wrestling just couldn't sustain me. Now, of course, we've got WWF No Mercy on the N64, which is about the most mazing thing I've seen in years!

mr. disco
Member # 1736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr. disco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did make some of the wrestlers too weak, but we usually just adjusted them to be more accurate, of course making our favorites (Flair, Lawler, Bockwinkle) among the strongest...

I forgot about Dr. Red Fang! That's great - I think we changed him to something else.

JB5
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must also put in a recommendation for "Wrestling's Finest Pro Wresling Game" by Tom Vogel. I've owned every wrestling game that I know of, Superstar Pro, Rampage, TNM, Von Erich's, Mascaras's, John Harwood's "Superstar Pro Wrestling", ect and I can say that none of them are as complete as "Wrestling's Finest". It has every detail and result that you can imagine. It's not just a game where you roll the dice and find out that Greg Gagne just bodyslammed Andre the Giant. It has individual wrestler cards for over 140 guys ranging from Lou Thesz to Kane. Just a fantastic game to play. I agree with Bob J and suggest anyone interested check out the Delphi boards.

John M

CT_Fan
Member # 129033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CT_Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the premise of the Superstar Wrestling game much further and created something similar to Strat-o-Matic, which I used to play extensively for baseball and football. It duplicated the pitcher-batter matchup from Strat baseball, more or less, and a wrestler couldn't execute his finisher unless he'd been on offense, and his opponent on defense, the prior 3-4 maneuvers. This involved dice and cards, and I figured it was long since supplanted by computer games, but it was kind of fun at the time.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations