WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Freebirds in the WWF (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Freebirds in the WWF
Dixon Mallabee
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixon Mallabee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone recall the Freebirds' brief (very brief, like a week or two) stay in the WWF in '84 or '85. Seems like they only had a match or tow and were managed by that guy that had Cyndi Lauper & Wendi Richter - David Woolf, was it? What was up with that? Next thing I knew, they were back in TX. I thought it was pretty goofy and it could've actually killed the 'Birds.
IP: Logged
Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the Freebirds in the WWF. They were faces, but they were there only a short time. This wasn't too long after the "Rock and Wrestling Connection" with MTV and the trio fit into the venue.
Thug Life
Member # 856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thug Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember it also Dixon. I thought they would have fit in that rock n wrestling era perfectly, but it wasnt meant to be. Does anyone know why they didnt stay in the WWF? Not that I didnt like them in World Class, I thought they were great in Texas, but it would have been interesting to see them in that WWF era.
rwallner
Member # 178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rwallner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beleive it or not this Dave Wolff guy who was cyndi lauper's manager/boyfriend, thought he was going to capitalize on the rock and wrestling connection and make Michael Hayes a rock star. Hayes and co. signed a management contract with Wolff and he brought them to the WWF with the idea he'd get them over in new york, and then record Michael Hayes and the Badstreet Band.

If you've ever heard Hayes sing, be thankful they didnt get over. Still not sure why the Freebirds werent allowed to wrestle four man tag matches in the WWF. For some reason,they were only allowed to wrestle six man matches which killed their push.

sportatorium roach
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportatorium roach         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Vince thought it would be a good idea to have a country vs. rock feud with the Birds against Cousin Luke, Hillbilly Jim, and Uncle Elmer, and the Birds didn't.
Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had they stayed and turned heel a short time later, I think Micheal Hayes would have made the next great "obnoxious sissy heel" foe for Hogan after Piper's run was through.

What might have been...

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone please research this.....I could of sworn Freebirds hit the WWF in the late 80s ...1988 at the earliest, a few years after the Lauper thing. Hayes did have a few songs recorded while in World Class. He was the top heel he was receiving babyface attention by recording rock songs and videos (1986).
Could someone please give us a date.

rwallner
Member # 178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rwallner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, wrong time frame...when the freebirds were brought in for their first wwf match, both wolff and lauper came out with them. So it was during the time lauper still had a relationship with the company.
Dugan
Member # 345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dugan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what I remember, I only remember seeing them once. It was a match from MSG, possibly when USA was still showing those house shows live and probably in 84 or 85.
They came to the ring with Lauper & Wolff and "Freebird" was playing.

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Daddy Meatybone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember them cutting a cheesy promo in 88 or 89. So, what about 84 or 85. For this to happen, their feud with the Von erichs would of been interrupted, and I do not ever it being interrupted until they went to the AWA, and then on to WCW.
Thug Life
Member # 856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thug Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did wrestle in the WWF in 84 or 85. It was a short deal, but they definitely did. I know for a fact, cause I was in the Army when they appeared in the WWF. I got out of the Army in 87, so it was definitely before 87. It was not long after I went in the Army(2/84), cause I had bought the new WWF magazine they put out(when I was in AIT at Ft. Gordon, GA)when they went national & they were in it, along with Piper & Orndorff, who had just entered the WWF also. It was definitely before Wrestlemania I.

[This message has been edited by Thug Life (edited 09-26-2000).]

FMW Fan
Member # 818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FMW Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was either late '84 or early '85 when the 3 Freebirds were in the WWF with Wolff & Lauper. I actually remember a WWF TV squash match (I believe from St. Louis) featuring Michael Hayes vs. a jobber, with Hayes' ring entrance music being "Badstreet USA"! "Badstreet USA" (I used to have that 45) was recorded in early-mid '84, complete with that music video featuring Freebirds vs. Von Erichs highlights and a Jimmy Garvin cameo.

[This message has been edited by FMW Fan (edited 09-26-2000).]

JOEY
Member # 789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOEY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree also that it was in early 1985, as it seems to me that the only time I saw them, it was around the time Terry Funk debuted in the WWF, which if I'm not mistaken was early-mid 1985. Once again, I only saw them one time, and it was a six man match, definitely in 85.

JOEY

timfoley
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timfoley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Freebirds would have been Massive had the push been given. What are your opinions on the WWF creating a year 2000 Freebirds Von Erich Feud. Possibly The Rock and his family Rikishi, Rocky Johnson Yokzuna, Tonga Kid Snuka, etc.. Against DX. Have the storylines done really well. Make DX the baddies but keep it going for a long time. SOmetimes I think feuds die out too early
Charles Warburton
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Warburton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Freebirds debuted in MSG in August of 1984. They didn't stay too much past that time period. They wrestled a couple of house shows including a televised Spectrum card and made the first Poughkeepsie taping with Bruno and Vince. I think some old Observer ordering is in order if you guys want to learn about the past. That is your best source.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

So, again, how was the Von Erich feud stopped and restarted? I do not ever remember that happening, but maybe it did, BUT, BADSTREET USA came out in 86...there was no way in 8/84 that if Freebirds were in WWF they came out with that song.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Remember in World Class, Freebirds used "Freebird" by Skynard as their ring entrance until Hayes recorded the single.
My timeline doesn't quite fit, so sorry for the aggressive arguing. I could of very weel missed a WWF tv show in 8/84. I remember seeing Hayes, Gordy, Roberts on the May 84 card from Texas stadium...I just do not remember a time when this feud came to a halt until Freebirds went to the AWA.

Omaha DC
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omaha DC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Wolff appeared on WWF Championship Wrestling on 8/25/84 and announced that he would be managing the Freebirds in the WWF.

The following week, Gene Okerlund did an interview with Wolff, Roberts, Hayes & Gordy, as a means of introducing them as babyfaces.

The next week (9/8), a match was aired from the Spectrum showing the 'Birds beating Ron Shaw, Rene Goulet & Charlie Fulton.

Two weeks later, (9/22) their first Poughkeepsie match was aired as they beat Aldo Marino (Ricky Santana), Rusty Brooks & "Iron" Mike Sharpe.

They made only one or two more appearances before bolting the WWF. The reason for their exit has never really been pinpointed on one incident, but I think that they were unhappy with the travel and generic promotion of their act.

I know, I need to get a life.

DC

Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

The last post makes a little bit more sense. Freebirds held the NWA World Six Man title from 7/4/84 to 9/3/84...dropping it right before the move to the WWF. 9/84 makes more sense than 8/84, altough I cannot imagine anyone from WWF saying somebody is coming (8/84) when they still held a major title elsewhere. Around this time, Chris Adams turns heel, which occupies the Von Erichs time with the Jake Roberts, Gino Hernandez, Chris Adams trio. Freebirds would not hold the Six Man title gain until Jan 86. This may be after or before their AWA run. However, it was around this time (1986) that Badstreet USA was released with Bill Mercer introducing the videos (Bad Street and the Thin Lizzy cover). I always thought that this was a strange angle for a heel, since rock stars are adored, especially in the 80s. I am going to go out on a lib and say that there AWA run was afterwards since the DID use the Bad Street song there. I will also have to say the they had another brief WWF run in 88/89.
Charles Warburton
Member # 16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Warburton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Daddy Meat, I know you are going to think I am a real ***** , but your timelines are wrong. The Badstreet USA video, song, and record were produced in 1984. I believe the video first aired around May of 1984 as I have one of the TV shows from the '84 Texas Stadium show where they showed the video. The 45 and cassette was also selling in the arenas and the magazines at this time as well.

When the Birds returned in late '85, they played the Badstreet video several more times.

When the Freebirds left for that very brief period, the Von Erichs were largely feuding with Devestation Inc. In fact, the feud was a three way feud before the Birds left with the Birds getting cheered.

Obviously you have great enthusiasm for wrestling history. I just hope, as a fellow historian, I can set you on the right path. I have been a fan for almost 20 years and more importantly have been archiving videos, magazines, and newsletters for the better part of those two decades as well, so I have this engraved in my brain. If you asked me what I ate for dinner last night, I probably couldn't tell you but I could tell you who the Freebirds first wrestled in their MSG & Spectrum debuts. Take care.

dumpsterbrown
Member # 741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dumpsterbrown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can say, with 95% certainty, that the Freebirds did NOT have a WWF run in 88/89. At this point, Micheal "PS" Hayes was a upper-midcard singles wrestler in the NWA. And I think Gordy was spending much of his time in Japan at this point.
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

I remember a cheesy promo. It was in-studio, nut without a interviewer. It was like Freebirds appeared out of nowhere and Hayes said a few silly words like "We're coming!" and then they disappeared. I am indentifying 88/89 because that was a time period where WWF was getting very oversatured, and I was like "oh no, not them too?!??" Aug 84 was pre-wrestlemania. It was a time period where alot of the old WWF stars were still on the roster. I really do not remember 84..but I really remember something later with the Freebirds. I could of been wrong about BADSTREET, but at least I know they did not have BADSTREET in WWF 1984.
Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4 man tag matches?
I thought The Freebirds were 3 guys.

Anyway, they were in the WWF no later than 1985.

I was watching a live Madison Square Garden show on TV on the MSG cable station, and the Freebirds were scheduled. Funny thing -- the cameras were focused outside in the streets. You see a big long limo pull up to the arena.
Out come the 3 Freebirds, march right in, down the isle, and into the ring for their match.
From limo directly to the ring!!!

Thug Life
Member # 856

I was thrown off too, when he mentioned 4 man tag matches, but what he meant was two 2-man teams. 3 man team wrestling is usually called 6 man tag matches, so it goes without saying that 2 man team wrestling is called 4 man tag matches. Hope I cleared that up.
Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the Freebirds went to the AWA, they went back to WCCW and eventually became faces, sort of. They were involved in some sort of team match --- 2 teams against each other --- and the 'Birds were on the SAME TEAM as the Von Eriches! (Wow!) There was no incident between them during the match.
When the 'Birds went to the AWA Michael Hayes, quite vociferous, was yelling in an interview that "they" (I guess "they" means WCCW) paid the Freebirds to be friends with the Von Eriches.
The 'Birds were trying to stress the fact that they are super-heels.

Interesting, some time later the Freebirds, minus Buddy Roberts on their side, went back to WCCW and M. Hayes went in the ring one time to save Kerry Von Erich from a pack-attack.
When Kerry regained con--- no WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
It was Michael Hayes being gang attacked, Kerry came in for the save. Then when Hayes regained consciousness he realized what Kerry did, and was quite surprised, confused, and then offered Kerry a handshake. The crowd loved it!

Shattered
Member # 235

Thank you Thug Life. As I was typing that post I realized the ambiguity. I agree with you that it would have been interesting if they had stayed in the WWF, especially during that era.
Still can't rest easy over why they left.
Does anybody know for sure why they left so fast???!!!

[This message has been edited by Shattered (edited 09-26-2000).]

PsychoSem
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoSem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hayes was working for Memphis and Texas in late 88 as part of the Texas vs Tennessee feud. He even teamed with Kerry Von Erich against Lalwer and Jeff Jarrett at the time.

By Feb 89 he was working for the NWA and remained with the company the rest of the year, winning both the US and the World Tag Team Titles (w/Jimmy Garvin)

Terry Gordy reappaered in the NWA by Summer 89 for the Great American Bash tour and feuded with Steve Williams. The announcers (Ross i beielve) mentioned the two's previous battles in japan in recent months.

I dunno what Buddy Jack was doing at the time. The last footage I have of the three together in a 6 man tag is from the 1987 Bash.

walrusispaul-
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walrusispaul-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warburtons right,freebirds were on the sept 84 show at msg,i have that card on tape. And i know they didnt last much long after that. I never heard of them goin back or any promos suggesting it. Maybe some1s wishful thinking. IMO i think they could had a great run as wwfttc,and find it funny as great as they were their on world tag team title came during the garvin era of the birds and not in the height of gordy/hayes. How do u rate gordy/hayes as opposed to hayes/garvin? I like em both for diff reasons. Hayes/garvin in my opionion great tag team wrestlers, Hayes/Gordy tag team mixed with brawler and wrestler i thought would have een a mega team if pushed and would have had great matchees with the r and r,midnight express,road warriors i exlude the awa feud,any way thats my opinion
Thug Life
Member # 856

Hayes & Gordy were my favorite version of the Freebirds. I always thought Gordy was awesome & I was happy when he won the UWF world title. I remember hearing something a while back concerning why the Freebirds didn't stay in the WWF too long. From what I heard, the Freebirds had ego problems, since they were big stars in Texas & they brought the attitude with them to the WWF. They clashed with the WWF management & that is why they left. I do not know if this is the real reason, this is just something I read on the internet a while ago.
Rev. Axl Future
Member # 186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev. Axl Future     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right folks - you made me gone and done it - I had to pull out my vinyl and get my copy of "Off The Streets" by Michael Hayes and the Bad Street Band! Copyright: 1987.
Here are my swiss cheese memories to add to the chaos -
I remember this album being promoted while the 'Birds (or maybe just Gordy & Hayes) were in the UWF.
I remember seeing The Freebirds w/Dave Dogg ("I always call him Dogg because that's what he is - a dog!" - Capt. Lou Albano) in Chicago at a WWF card, around 1985. They squashed three jobbers, and i was made sad by the lack of a crowd response they received. They came off as very anachronistic, style-wise (w/regards to look, music and clothing) and too "Southern" in the Yankee WWF.
Don't get me wrong, I am a Freebird fan, but they always played better on TV than live to this Northerner...
P.S. always did mean "purely sexy" to me,
RAF

Travis Cook
Member # 229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travis Cook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the brief WWF run, hadn't Hayes lost a loser leave town (to Kevin I think?) This would have paved the way for the WWF run, then I believe they shocked Texas when a Von Erich was attacked on Christmas Night (after the WWF run) by Santa Claus--who of course was Michael Hayes--to restart the feud.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Thug Life
Member # 856

That sounds about right, Travis, now that you mention it, I do believe that is correct. That sounds like what I can recall from that period.
kelly
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel that Badstreet USA came out before 1987 (even if it was copyrighted given or renewed later). I remember one of the videos in World Class included Jimmy Garvin (setting off dynamite or something) and Garvin, I'm almost sure, had been out of WCCW for some time by 1987.

So I agree with Warburton.

WWA-Indy
Member # 425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WWA-Indy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Birds had their short tenure in the WWF I recall that my WWF correspondent at the time told me that the reason for their quick departure was that they did not like what the WWF had planned for them. Among those plans included what could have been what caused them to leave. According to my correspondent, Dave Creedon, the WWF had planned to break them up as a three-man team. Not sure whatever happened to Dave Creedon, but he was very knowledgeable. He lived in Zelienople (sp.?), PA, which is near Pittsburgh, and had a lot of good contacts.
Tony Meyers
Member # 590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Meyers   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply put Hayes negotiated for the Birds with the W.W.F. back when everything was to come down being that Hayes above Roberts and Gordy had a huge ego from their huge run in Texas, they did to the best of my knowledge two appearences, one in M.S.G. and one at the T.V. tapings both were six-mans and apparently everything fell apart due in part to Hayes and company wanting everything for themselves in addition to too much money...
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

Here is a link with a detailed bio on the Freebirds. Very wierd, as detail as it was, no mention of the WWF at all. http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/pages/bios/halloffame/freebirdbio.html
Big Daddy Meatybone
Member # 708

I just saw a tape list that featured a WWF match : Shaw/Vachon/Doherty vs. Fabulous Freebirds. No note on year. I know the rules of advertising other tapes, so I can't include the link.
tlyne
Member # 319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Daddy, I have that tape. It is from 1985. This was the period right after McMahon bought out Georgia. The Briscos and the Spoiler also appeared at this time. I have read that the Freebirds did only one TV taping. They of course, taped several matches that were shown on WWF TV.
BOSS2K
Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOSS2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that match is not from 1985. They were only with the WWF for a VERY BRIEF time in late summer/early fall of '84. I believe that match is from the 8/84 MSG card. WWF Bought out GCW in 7/84.
tlyne
Member # 319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlyne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I defer to you knowledge Boss, I thought it was 85 when Vince moved into Georgia. I apologize.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations