WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Crybaby Cannon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crybaby Cannon
Professor Druk Fan
Member # 476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Professor Druk Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard lots of positive things about Crybaby Cannon on this board. I'm assuming that his time as a manager/promoter must have had considerably more impact than his wrestling career. I saw him in the AWA in the 60s when Gagne imported jobbers from Canada in a big way. I liked the crybaby gimmick a lot. (Forms of it are still used today, when wrestlers get down on their needs and plead for mercy in the corner.) I'd be interested in anyone who remembers him as a wrestler or who has knowledge of his later career in management. Also, wasn't their a Cannon copycat - something to do with Weeping something-or-other?
IP: Logged
BrandonBaxter
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonBaxter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reincarnation of the Crybaby gimmick was done in Dallas in the GWF in 93.

Grey Pierson, who was running the GWF at the time, fondly remembered Cannon, and wanted to create a character similar to him, and he did just that. The character was known as Francis "Crybaby" Buxton.

I believe that this character was around while the GWF still aired on ESPN, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

amsboom
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George had a long run as the manager of The Kangaroos---Al Costello and Don Kent. George also worked as George McAurthur. Was really a great guy and could really tell some stories ,he is missed
Zarr Zanyo
Member # 618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zarr Zanyo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember George working as Man Mountian Cannon for the Detroit group in the mid 1960's. This was probably before his crybaby gimmick, which I also remember him doing for the Detroit promotion.

Of course, as asmboom mentioned, as the manager of the Kangaroos. I can still hear that annoying whistle.

Could George have been the first manager to use the whistle?

George's name appeared in the "This Week In Wrestling" section on quite a few of the clips from Texas in the early 1960's.

[This message has been edited by Zarr Zanyo (edited 07-13-2000).]

David Williamson
Member # 307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George also manage the Mongols in the IWA in the 1975 time frame.He appeared some in the Carolinas and Georgia then with the Mongols, and as I remember they held the tag belts a good while in the IWA.
David Williamson
Member # 307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Williamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those Mongols were Geto (Newt Tattrie) and Bolo(Bill "Superstar" Eadie). They were later managed in the Mid-Atlantic by Boris Malenko.
Shattered
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shattered     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George "Crybaby" Cannon wrestled for a while in the WWF in the late '60s. He weighed 420 pounds. He was unbeatable, dominating every match, but at some point the jobber would sort of get fed up and start putting a beating on Cannon. Then there it came, his crying gimmick, the crowd always loved it.
He never got a title shot, but in one of his last matches on TV it was against former #1 contender Bull Ramos. It was rare to see a match-up this good on TV, and more rare to see 2 heals in a match. They were having quite a brawl, and then the match was suddenly stopped by the referee and declared it a draw. George didn't cry in this match.

GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Francis "Crybaby" Buxton also wrestled under the name "Lolly Dude", and now he's got a pizza restaurant just off the Natchez Trace Parkway, in Kosiusko, MS. I didn't know who the guy was, just happened to stop for a bite to eat while passing through. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet him, either...but plan to stop in next time I'm in that area. He's got lots of great programs framed on the wall, and pictures with lots of stars from WCCW/Mid-South. The restaurant is called "Lolly Dude's", and I recommend the curly fries
Sergje Kapustin
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sergje Kapustin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did´nt he wrestled somtimes, I think in Japan, as Man Mountain Cannon?

Dosvedanja

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Does anyone know the year that Cannon had his program with Don Leo Johnathan in Detroit?

Is it true that George Cannon had his own talk show in LA in the late 1960s?

What was Cannon's full role in helping McMahon go national in 1984? Supposedly he helped Vince lock up Joe Louis Arena right before Ole planned go into Detroit.

If true, this would be a pretty big deal because Detroit has since then been one of the WWF's top cities. The NWA didn't make it back to Detroit until 1987, the night Ron Garvin defeated Flair for the World Title.

Rocket Fargo
Member # 1372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rocket Fargo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too young to remember Cannon as a wrestler, or even his heyday as a manager. But he did come into Memphis and Jackson, Tennessee with the Kangaroos in the Seventies.

On the Memphis show one morning Jackie Fargo and Tojo Yamamoto came out and tore Cannon's pants off. He went into his crying routine, got in front of the announcers' desk with his back to the camera, bent over crying, and showed this HUGE heart sewn onto the very bottom of his boxers. The crowd loved it!

When did we lose him? (Sorry, but I'm new here.)

5th Horseman
Member # 1176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5th Horseman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cannon also managed Eric The Red in the IWA, back in '75.

I don't know who the first manager to blow a whistle was, but I also remember Major Duke George using a whistle to blow "signals" when he managed the Valiant Brothers in the WWA, during the late '70s.

George Cannon can also be seen being interviewed (regarding how popular wrestling is) in the film "I Like To Hurt People".

lobo
Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I saw Crybaby
Cannon was in the late sixties
in the All-Star Wrtestling
promotion in Vancouver B.C.
Jack Bence, a heel jobber,
announced he had a tag team
partner & that they would win
the tag team belts.He then introduced
him as George Cannon. At first, Cannon
fought jobbers & did o.k. but
when facing the big boys like Kiniski, Jonathan, etc.,he would start crying in
the middle of a match. Of course, he would
always be known in the area as Crybaby
Cannon. He didn't last long in
All-Star Wrestling. The next time I saw
him was as a face announcer in various
promotions in Canada. His forte ,
obviously was as the manager of the
Kangeroos.

Cincinnati Kid
Member # 339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cincinnati Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first remember George Cannon as a "face" out of the Detroit promotion in the late 1960's. He then became a heel when he started managing. He wore the shirt that had "I am Right" on the back and the term, Crybaby Cannon started being used.

Cannon's use of the whistle used to really draw the ire of announcer Lord Layton. Once, as the whistle continued to shrill in the background during a TV match, Layton spoke into the microphone in his low-key British accent, "Probably the absence of toys as a child".

Shoogie
Member # 129240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoogie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I found this forum in a Google search for Crybaby Cannon.
Back in the late 60’s I was a little girl growing up in Walla Walla Washington. My dad was a fan of professional wrestling and I recall one time he took me to a wrestling event with him, fairly nearby. I was a six year old Tomboy, and that was probably 1968. We arrived to what seemed like a big barn, but inside were bleachers and a professional wrestling ring. It must have been touring, but I can’t find any record of it. One of the featured wrestlers, and I think why my dad was so eager to see it in person, was Crybaby Cannon. It was such a spectacle, I have never forgotten it. Does anyone have any knowledge of big time wrestling tours in Eastern Wa during the late 60’s?

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 5th Horseman:

I don't know who the first manager to blow a whistle was, but I also remember Major Duke George using a whistle to blow "signals" when he managed the Valiant Brothers in the WWA, during the late '70s.

George Cannon can also be seen being interviewed (regarding how popular wrestling is) in the film "I Like To Hurt People".

Wild Red Berry used a whistle when he was managing the Kangaroos in the late fifties. Probably other managers did that earlier.

I have a small memory of seeing Cannon wrestle at that time. Was a heel that always lost and then cried.

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skullbutt:
quote:
Originally posted by 5th Horseman:

Wild Red Berry used a whistle when he was managing the Kangaroos in the late fifties. Probably other managers did that earlier.

I have a small memory of seeing Cannon wrestle at that time. Was a heel that always lost and then cried.

JC Dykes used a whistle to signal The Inferno's.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations