WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion '99-June '07 » Ernie Ladd opponents?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ernie Ladd opponents?
frankmatkojr
Member # 5407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frankmatkojr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Ernie Ladd ever face Bruiser Brody in the ring? Did he ever team with Brody?

Did Ladd ever face Hulk Hogan? Would he have been a good heel opponent for Hogan? Because of his size why didn't Vince jr. bring him in for a quick run at Hulk?

--------------------
Welcome to the DOG POUND! GO BROWNS!!!

IP: Logged
frankmatkojr
Member # 5407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frankmatkojr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frankmatkojr:
Did Ernie Ladd ever face Bruiser Brody in the ring? Did he ever team with Brody?

Did Ladd ever face Hulk Hogan? Would he have been a good heel opponent for Hogan? Because of his size why didn't Vince jr. bring him in for a quick run at Hulk?

Bump

--------------------
Welcome to the DOG POUND! GO BROWNS!!!

John Watanabe
Member # 2454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Watanabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

According to a match result seen at Kayfabe Memories--in 1979, at Chicago's International Ampitheater, Ernie Ladd and Bruiser Brody beat Dick the Bruiser and Andre the Giant.

Growing up in Chicagoland, I wish I could've been there for that one! As old Chicago promoter Bob Luce would say, it would have been "WILD" at "the blood arena!!"

(search John Watanabe at imdb.com--Internet Movie Database)

John Watanabe
Member # 2454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Watanabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I don't know if Ernie Ladd ever faced Hulk Hogan when Hogan was a heel early in his career, but by 1984, when "Hulkamania" was running wild in the WWF, I don't know if The Big Cat was even wrestling anymore (Ladd did do some color commentary for the WWF during the mid-'80s).

[ 05-11-2005, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: John Watanabe ]

Chitown Rich
Member # 944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chitown Rich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladd and Brody held the Central States Tag Titles for awhile in the late 70's.
CrescentCity Chaos
Member # 3858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrescentCity Chaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Big Cat was in the Mid-South area in 1984. He was fueding with Junkyard Dog. The fued was on again, off again since, wow, maybe 79 or 80. Ernie also defeated Magnum TA for the N American title somewhere between 83 & 85.

Ernie was an awesome heel. I would say he generated more heat here in the Crescent City than the Freebirds did. He faced and defeated all the greats coming through the area. Killer Karl Kox,Ray Candy, Dick Murdoch, Paul Orndorff, Junkyard Dog, Magnum TA, Assassin,T-Bolt Patterson, Sonny King and well you get the idea.

--------------------
"Two things I can't stand....It's a dog chasin cars, and a broken down wrestler chasin me" -Ernie Ladd

Playboy Dain
Member # 2860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Playboy Dain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew Ernie Ladd did commentary for the WWF. Was he only around for a short time? How'd he do behind the stick?
midsouthmaniac
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't get to see any of his commentery in the WWF, but judging from his work and promos in the Mid-South, He has to be rated as one of the top "talkers" in the business at the time. I think we Mid-South fans were really spoiled by the quality of promos done in the area. Wresting II, Watts. Dibease, Assassin, Akbar,JYD,Cornette, Murdoch, Kox, and the list goes on. Great men in the ring and behind the mic.
John Watanabe
Member # 2454

quote:
Originally posted by Road Warrior Dissdain:
I never knew Ernie Ladd did commentary for the WWF. Was he only around for a short time? How'd he do behind the stick?

Along with some of the WWF syndicated TV shows, Ernie Ladd co-announced with Gorilla Monsoon and Luscious Johnny Valiant at the WWF Big Event show (Hogan vs. Orndorff, 1986, in Toronto) and did commentary from the Chicago portion of Wrestlemania 2--where Ladd mistakenly referred to guest referee Dick Butkus as Mike Ditka (both old Bears at least).

Arnold_OldSchool
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arnold_OldSchool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the odds somebody has the Bruiser/Andre vs Ernie Ladd/Brody match on tape?
chgowolvs44
Member # 2267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chgowolvs44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arnold_OldSchool:
What's the odds somebody has the Bruiser/Andre vs Ernie Ladd/Brody match on tape?

Those odds are very high, as all the main events were taped for quite a time period while Bruiser/Snyder/Gagne owned Chicago.

Now, the problem is this: who has the tape and how much mach footage exists. Those are the more problematic questions.

--------------------
"A spokesman for the NYPD said the police were exercising their right to defend themselves from charging protesters who...were armed with dangerous ideas" Keith Olbermann RE:NYPD over reaction to OWS protests

CASHBOX JIMMY
Member # 124362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CASHBOX JIMMY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of a match Bruiser/Andre vs. Brody and Ladd .
NJRob65
Member # 8265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJRob65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is Ladd's record book: http://www.midatlanticwrestling.net/resourcecenter/results/pages/results_ladd.htm

[ 12-07-2015, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: NJRob65 ]

CASHBOX JIMMY
Member # 124362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CASHBOX JIMMY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
learn something everyday
Chitown Rich
Member # 944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chitown Rich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CASHBOX JIMMY:
Never heard of a match Bruiser/Andre vs. Brody and Ladd .

The match happened at The Chicago Amphitheatre in front of a SRO crowd. I was there and the build up to the match was great by Promoter Bob Luce.
At the end of the match Ladd pinned Bruiser somehow setting up some rematches down the road in Chicago between Ladd & Bruiser.
Ladd was a regular here in Chicago for years as Bruiser would fly him in for main event matches.

merc
Member # 125456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Ernie Ladd in 76 against Andre. He was the ultimate heel, knew how to,play the crowd.

Making it more compelling to this 11 year old was Andre selling for him. You rarely saw Andre in any trouble on TV then.

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Ernie doing a babyface turn in Georgia for a short time in the 80's. It was cool seeing him use the 'injured' thumb on heel opponents in a self defense move but he was never as great a face as he was a heel. I saw him earlier in IWA as a babyface at first.

Ernie was a GREAT heel. The older I get the more I appreciate the psychology he used and also just how funny he was during interviews.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations