WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » WON Information Forum » Message to Steve Simms: The Greatest Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Message to Steve Simms: The Greatest Project
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to know Steve Simms. I used to subscribe to his Lucha Libra sheet (I guess in the late 80's or early 90's), and I went to a few wrestling cards with him, when we had our LA gang. Great guy and one of the major wrestling minds. In his field, I rank him with the major guys: Dave, Tenay, Mask, Williams (when he liked wrestling), Matt Farmer, and a very few others. Guys with a wide range of wrestling knowledge & could think.

But he had a habit of moving around, because of his job or something. So I lost track of him. I do enjoy when he does show up at the WON site. He always was the backbone of Lucha info at The Observer.

So he used to put out a lucha libra sheet. At the time I was going to a few Lucha shows in LA (major ones were the Santo vs Negro Casas matches)...but I didn't really understand what the hell was going on. The rules were unknown, booking patterns were different, and it was strange....but I liked it.

So I got Simm's sheet and the back issues. Soon after he put out a huge lucha yearbook, which resembled Dave's "Who's Who in Pro Wrestling" book. In Simms yearbook he covered the major wrestlers, the major Arenas in Mexico, the rules, and much of the history and culture of Mexican wrestling. It was printed on very cheap paper & look pretty bad, but I think it was one of the top 8 books...papers...things..... ever written on pro wrestling. It was in English and made for American fans wanting to learn. Everything I know about Lucha Libra came from that newsletter yearbook.

Simm's sheet went on another 10 issues & then faded away. I valued that paper but things happened & it got moved to the garage in a box with all my other sheets, letters & stuff. I've spent many days over the last 20 years in my dirty garage looking for it...but can't find it.

There is a strong possibility that I lent it to John Williams or James Holbrook....and they kept it. Or I'm too stupid to find it.

So Steve Simms wrote a masterpiece of wrestling knowledge around 1990. No telling how few people got this book (paper) or how many were ever published, but it's an important piece of wrestling history....at least in my mind....and there are a few people who respect my wrestling thinking...I don't know any of them...but I've heard this.

So Sims, if your out there...somewhere...and you have the book or paper....you need to reprint this thing....or maybe even re-write the damm thing.

I do little projects all the time....and I know a good one when I see it. This is a great one. This would be one of the great wrestling books. A Lucha Libra Book covering the culture, rules, major performers, Arenas, major matches & events, and as much history as you can figure out.

Steve Simms, I know your out there....right now...stop watching TV or reading that book or petting the dog....and WRITE THIS ******* BOOK. It's important to pro wrestling and it's fans. Excuses don't work....DO IT!! And you've already written it back in the early 1990's. Your the elite lucha libra mind in America, & a leader in the moment....it's your job.---Steve Yohe

IP: Logged
OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Steve said.

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

GreyGhost from MS
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyGhost from MS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd buy that book.
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You take the foremost American expert of Lucha. You do a section on the famous Mexican Arena & add some photos. Do a section with bios of the top 30 to 50 lucha stars....add some photos. Have a section of the famous matches in lucha history. Go over the rules...the promoters,the holds ..and the storyline of it's history. Talk about it having a wrestler's union & the conflicts. The tag team groups. Explain the rudos & why they are different than American Villans. There all kind of topics to play with. Steve is the top guy, he has the right to do as he wants. It could be as big or small as he wants. And he has done it before...as a sheet with terrible paper. He has Dave behind him & everyone knows him...& repects him.

I look for projects & I've done a bunch. If I was Simms, I'd see this as my masterpiece. I'm doing my project now, but it is impossible & will never be finished. Simms project could be done. With his knowledge….it's very doable. There are still a lot of American who don't know their Lucha & are hungry to learn.... but the language is hard to over come.

Just call it: "The Encyclopedia of Lucha Libra" by Steve Simms. Make it thick with a hard cover & serious....they'll be selling them forever.---Steve Yohe

[ 08-10-2019, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

The old yearbook had short bio's on everyone in Lucha. Wish I could find it.--Yohe
BERT from NJ
Member # 4090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BERT from NJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Steve, I remember there being something like "A Guide to Lucha Libre" in one of the final Observer yearbooks circa 89-90. Do you remember something like this? Not sure who wrote it, other than it definitely wasn't Dave.

--------------------
"Kneel before Zod"
General Zod

"You're a little out of order yourself-You insulted him a little bit, you insulted him A LITTLE BIT"
Jimmy the Gent Conway

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

I was looking at the old yearbooks a week ago. I'll look some more.

I remember a Santos Bio in the WON, but can't place when he did it. Santo died before the obits started & he was induced into the HOF on the first ballot, so no bio. I'm still thinking. I know there is one in the Greatest 100 book & that's probably taken from it. Need to buy a new index.--Yohe

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations