WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » WON Information Forum » Chavo Guerrero Sr.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chavo Guerrero Sr.
Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listening to Dave Meltzer's tribute on Wrestling Observer live and also the tributes on the 605 Superpodcast with special guests Jeff Walton and Dr. Tom Prichard, I hope Chavo Sr. gets some serious consideration for the WO Hall of Fame later this year.
As Dave said, there wasn't that much difference in comparing Chavo's work with Ricky Steamboat's in the early 80's.
Chavo didn't have the huge professional success of a Steamboat but he was an innovative star who brought new moves to the US that others soon copied.
He also kept the LA Promotion alive for another 5 years longer than it would have without his presence there.
I know his untimely death will get him some votes, but I hope he and Red Bastien both get some serious consideration this year.

IP: Logged
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a Jr Heavyweight he was huge in Japan. Someone knew he could work.

If someone had come up with the idea that a Mexican (Mexican/American)could be NWA champion....he would have been the guy. Could do it all, and work face & heel. He had that champion thing to him. That's why they always put the Americas Title on him.

He just came in at the wrong time in wrestling history. Los Angeles was going into the tank & the WWF and all the steroid freaks were taking over. In my lifetime the eras in LA were dominated by Carpentier, Blassie, Destroyer, Morales, Auston, Brazil, Mil Mascaras, Tolos, & Chavo. What killed LA was the loss of Jules Strongbow.---Steve Yohe

[ 02-20-2017, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Steve Yohe ]

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly had no idea how "over" Chavo was. For some reason (most likely as the brothers were a few years before my time) I just assumed all the brothers worked in tandem with the exception of Eddy. I saw some stuff with Hector in Memphis but for the most part a lot of what I saw was some combination of Hector, Mando or Chavo working together. He seemed extremely popular in Los Angeles and might have the most decorated singles career of course with the exception of Eddy.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations