WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » How Many Promoters Owned Their Arenas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Many Promoters Owned Their Arenas?
Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know CMLL owns the arenas they run. Don Owen owned the Portland Sports Arena and the LaBells had the master lease on the Olympic, but how many other promoters owned the building(s) they ran?

Would the idea have even crossed the mind of a promoter in the territory days as an idea for another revenue stream renting the building out on non-wrestling days/nights?

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

IP: Logged
diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was somewhat prevalent in Louisiana in the 40s and 50s. Gus Kallio owned his own arena in Monroe and Jimmie Thompson owned his in Alexandria. The promoter in Lake Charles (something McRae) also owned his.

CM would know for sure but I believe Milo Steinborn owned the arena in Orlando.

Paul Jones owned the Sports Arena in Atlanta and it was used when the City Auditorium was unavailable.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I'm not sure but off the top of my head I do not believe Milo owned the arena.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who owned the Junction in San Antonio?

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vince used to own the Cape Cod Coliseum.

--------------------
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed the Von Erich’s owned the Sportatorium in the later days, or did they just rent the office space?
CONAN
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CONAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CONAN:
I think there were handful of concerts held at The Portland Sports Arena in the early 80s. And there was a flea market there ran by Sandy Barr on Sundays.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression Danny Davis owned the Davis Arena that Ohio Valley Wrestling uses in Louisville.
Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The company associated with EMLL (now CMLL) that appeared on the NWA membership listings back in the day was actually Arena Mexico and later Nueva Arena Mexico, S.A.

[ 07-11-2019, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Dan P-170 ]

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salvador Lutteroth wasn't the only promoter in Mexico to own many of his arena's. I believe he owned as many as 7 at one point.

Spot show promoter Aldofo Moreno owned the 2,400 seat Arena Naucalpan. This building still hosts two or more events every week. His family runs the IWRG lucha promotion.

There are numerous others too.

[ 07-11-2019, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Matt Farmer from WA ]

JNLister
Member # 1384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JNLister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only one in the UK was Arthur Wright of Wryton Promotions who owned a former cinema (movie theater) that he renamed the Wryton Stadium in Bolton. As well as a venue, it was a gym for wrestlers. Don't know how often they hired it out for other purposes, but it had some of the matches in the 1969 World Snooker Championships.
elijahkareem
Member # 6045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elijahkareem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Sam Muninchek?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elijahkareem:

He didn't own the Kill or the Chezznerdoom.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Vince ever in a position where he feasibly could have bought MSG? Or Maybe Vince Sr. in the 70s when New York was run down?
SWW72 from FL
Member # 1536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWW72 from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, there is the Eddie Graham Sports Complex in Orlando owned by someone whose name I can't recall.

--------------------
SWW72

Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Johnny Doyle or Mike Hirsch own one of the LA venues?

Ocean Park Arena or something like that. I may be misremembering it and they just had the lease.

Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
quote:
Originally posted by elijahkareem:

He didn't own the Kill or the Chezznerdoom.
Or for that matter the Cay pee ell are studio.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Haft owned his own arena.
 -

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:
Was Vince ever in a position where he feasibly could have bought MSG? Or Maybe Vince Sr. in the 70s when New York was run down?

Wonder how much money the elder Vince had. I read that MSG stock got as low as $3.25 a share in 1974. There was a total of 4.8 million shares. So owning 100% of MSG stock would have been a little over $15 million in 1974.
Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would America have reacted if they'd renamed it McMahon Square Gardens?
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe Turner's arena in Washington DC. McMahon bought it for TV.--Yohe
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In history, there was a number of owners or managers of arenas, that promoted wrestling & boxing to fill the building.--Yohe
Lee Wong
Member # 912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Wong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the Nassau Coliseum went up in 1972, events held out on Long Island were in West Hempstead at the Island Garden Arena and in Commack at the Commack Arena. Whitey Carlson promoted and owned both buildings.
Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

quote:
Originally posted by Tatsuya:
quote:
Originally posted by Happ Hazzard:

Wonder how much money the elder Vince had. I read that MSG stock got as low as $3.25 a share in 1974. There was a total of 4.8 million shares. So owning 100% of MSG stock would have been a little over $15 million in 1974.
Tex Rickard, who built the 3rd version of MSG was involved in the fight game. And of course Jess McMahon worked for/with Tex for some time.

Of course MSG wasn't the only arena Rickard owned. He had numerous "temporary" arena built too, including the famous fight between Jack Johnson and James J Jeffries.

In some ways I am surprised Vince never had his own arena built.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations