WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Swimming

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swimming
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very off topic but I was curious about this subject; can you swim?

If you would could you also add your age and what part of the country you grew up in. And if you learned to swim what age were you? And can your parents, siblings or children swim?

If you can't would you ever consider taking or have you taken swimming lessons as an adult?

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
Dirko
Member # 125609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dirko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that learning to swim was part of the general curriculum at schools in the central European country I grew up in and I don't think I know anyone who doesn't at least know how to dog paddle.

I think swimming is boring but very healthy, so would recommend everyone to learn it.

--------------------
"I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health."
(Voltaire)

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I was about 11 when I finally learned which is fairly late. Grew up in NYC but learned to swim during summer vacation in Japan when my cousin taught me.

My dad is a good swimmer and its possible he tried to teach me earlier but he wasn't all that active as a father. My oldest sister always knew how to swim, I asked her not too long ago who taught her and she has no idea. My Mom and another sister can't swim....my non-swimmimg sister still tries to learn via her bf every now and then but seems to be unable to get past a mental block. I really think the older you get, the harder it is (like I said, I was a bit late in learning myself) and its best to teach them when they're still infants

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swam as a kid. All the time. I probably had more talent as a swimmer than anything else, but the school didn't have a pool.

I ran for year until I had leg problems, so I went back to the pool for a year. I would do 2 miles a day, every day...which really means 4 to 5 days a week. You can swim a lot more, without getting beaten up, than running, basketball, or Tennis. They say it's the best exercise, but I don't think it's better if your looking to lose weight. After a work out, you get really hungry. It's also boring as hell having your head under water for a hour & 10 minutes every day. Unless your a deep thinker, there is nothing but kicking. People today seem unable to be away from their phones that long.

I felt a lot more fit running & went back to it after a year. That was when I was 46. It did fix my leg problems.

I'm now thinking about going back at 71, because my ankles are messed up. Swimming also changes your hair's color and thins it so it seems like your going bald. It you swim every day, you find the chemicals eats thru your swimming trunks. I had a number of them disintegrate as I worked out. I wondered if the chemical were doing that to my trunks & hair, what was it doing to me. So I stopped.---Steve Yohe

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of the best workers & bodies in wrestling started as swimmers. Buddy Rogers & Dick Beyer for two.--Yohe
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not answering this. I think you're trying to drown me.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

I shop at One Stop
Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I shop at One Stop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started lessons at 6 or 7 when my dad couldn't stand my stubbornness and decided it was easier to pay someone to teach me. Well, I still was stubborn and ended up taking six to eight sets of lessons. By that point, the coach got me to join the local age group swim team. I ended up swimming 18 competitive seasons via age group/AAU/Park District/High School. Went to the Prairie State games (Illinois olympics) and did the Two Mile Swim at Navy Pier a half dozen times. Don't think I've been swimming in over twenty years.

--------------------
Where you buy it by the can or buy it by the case

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took lessons back in South Dakota as a kid, but it didn't really take. Over the years I learned to swim just enough to not drown lol.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Yohe:
They say it's the best exercise, but I don't think it's better if your looking to lose weight. After a work out, you get really hungry.

Not just that, but it tends to keep a layer of fat on you to combat hypothermia, and tends to lean down the arms and bulk up the torso. So it's not the best thing cosmetically. I still do it, but am getting away from the long medium pace thing and more toward using it HIIT technique. Do a set of laps all out, rest briefly, repeat for several sets. You can also work flexibility in the water in ways you can't on land because of buoyancy. Prefer ocean swimming.

I remember learning to swim but I'm not sure how old I was. Pretty sure it was before elementary school. It's kind of a good thing to be able do in South Florida which is mostly water. My parents could swim, no sibs, kids swim.

Can't really imagine not knowing how. Would learn ASAP.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_WIlliamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I gave it up as a regular thing a long time ago though swimming and water workouts are great for low impact exercise and rehab.

I was a reasonably strong swimmer but can't imagine not being able to swim. We've got land, water and sky. We're not gonna be able to fly on our own steam so it doesn't make sense to me that everyone wouldn't be pretty capable on the other two.

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grew up in the summers of North Ontario, swimming canoeing, water skiing and stuff. I love a good springy diving board too.
PVM
Member # 121669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PVM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't swim. I know at least three people who can't swim. Never wanted to swim and I can't imagine any situation where I would choose to go swimming. I don't understand the appeal of swimming at all.

--------------------
https://deadofnightusa.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/DeadofNightUSA/
https://www.facebook.com/MMFMHC/
http://redmenacerecords.storenvy.com/

Joel
Member # 3442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in the country in Australia. Everybody swam. Once I moved to the city at age 11, I was surprised how many people I met who couldn't swim or are afraid of water.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PVM:
I can't swim. I know at least three people who can't swim. Never wanted to swim and I can't imagine any situation where I would choose to go swimming.

What about if you're drowning?

I don't understand the appeal of swimming at all.

Well of course you don't if you've never done it. Bottom line it's a rush, if you don't let it get boring.

--------------------

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John_WIlliamson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can't swim. I know at least three people who can't swim. Never wanted to swim and I can't imagine any situation where I would choose to go swimming. I don't understand the appeal of swimming at all.

Very strange thought process.
Ken Viewer
Member # 5528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Viewer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A lot of the best workers & bodies in wrestling started as swimmers. Buddy Rogers & Dick Beyer for two.--Yohe

Rogers, on a live-TV promo out of Washington, D.C. got off on a discussion of various sports and noted, and I quote accurately, "The only thing swimming conditions you for is swimming."

I learned to swim when young and snorkeled, but no longer do it. There are enough chemical irritants in pool water in Manhattan to kill many bacteria and a few people, give or take. The last few times I went swimming I ended up swallowing enough pool water to give me gastrointestinal distress.

As for the benefits for people with various arthritic and other medical conditions, I realize that they are very real.

Ken

[ 05-16-2019, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Ken Viewer ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:

Ronda Rousey

--------------------

PVM
Member # 121669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PVM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
quote:
I can't swim. I know at least three people who can't swim. Never wanted to swim and I can't imagine any situation where I would choose to go swimming.

What about if you're drowning?

I don't understand the appeal of swimming at all.

Well of course you don't if you've never done it. Bottom line it's a rush, if you don't let it get boring.

I figure the only ways I'll end up in a lot of water would be if I crashed off a high bridge or a tsunami comes, in which case I'll probably be dead regardless.

I was constantly encouraged to swim as a kid. Swimming pools, lakes, the ocean, everything. Hated every minute of it. As a little kid, as a teenager, and as adult, my reaction to it was the same: I was bored and annoyed by it. Of course I don't even like going outdoors, so things like swimming are definitely not my thing.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

What about if somebody else is drowning?

--------------------

Prefrontal-Lowblow
Member # 53232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prefrontal-Lowblow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus H Christ.
Exactly.

Are we talking about swimming or simply knowing enough internally to move your arms and legs to keep from going under? Doesn’t seem that hard. We simply went to the pool as youngsters and just did it.

Competitive swimming, yeah, I can see being taught that. But not simply keeping your head above water. Even dogs do that.

PVM
Member # 121669

I don't go boating (which is something I really, REALLY hate) or places that have pools or to the beach, so hopefully somebody will be there to save them because I'll be miles away.

--------------------

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

quote:
What about if somebody else is drowning?

I guess if someone doesn't tend to go outdoors the chances of coming across this are fairly miniscule.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Yeah, fair enough, I guess. I guess I'm just experiencing cognitive dissonance here trying to imagine this lifestyle.

--------------------

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

quote:
Yeah, fair enough, I guess. I guess I'm just experiencing cognitive dissonance here trying to imagine this lifestyle.

It never crossed my mind either but there you go. Each to their own and all that.
Gabba Hey
Member # 20936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabba Hey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was about 7 in North Carolina, on my father's Softball tournament, staying in hotel right on the Ocean. And wanted to go fishing. My dad said jump in the deep end of the pool, and make it across, and he'd buy me and my brother fishing poles. I did it on instinct alone. We got our fishing poles. That's my story.

--------------------
Im your huckleberry - Tombstone -- Sometimes to beat the bully. you have to be the bully. Michael Jordan. vs the Pistons

John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

Also, a baby will learn to swim a hell of a lot quicker that it will learn to walk, given the opportunity. It's naturally kinda easier.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babies can pretty much swim coming out of the womb. It's literally a skill you have to unlearn not learn

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I could never do is open my eyes underwater. Always had to wear goggles....which sucks when it clouds up.
John_WIlliamson
Member # 129137

quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Babies can pretty much swim coming out of the womb. It's literally a skill you have to unlearn not learn

Sort of, yeah. They have the natural reflex to try to swim, to hold their breath, that kind of thing. Their necks aren't stromg enough to hold their heads up for air though. But you're right, lack of practice and experience for several years means a lot of the natural instincts dull or fade and have to be relearnt.
Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't swim. I think I have some kind of mental block. I nearly drowned in my neighbor's swimming pool when I was about 4 after I went too far into the deeper end and panicked.

I'm not afraid of water and I've tried lessons, but I just can't swim. LOL.

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

Scot V from TX
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scot V from TX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Trongard's Hair:
I can't swim. I think I have some kind of mental block. I nearly drowned in my neighbor's swimming pool when I was about 4 after I went too far into the deeper end and panicked.

I'm not afraid of water and I've tried lessons, but I just can't swim. LOL.

I can relate. When I was around 4 or 5 I was traveling with my dad caught in a flash flood in a low water crossing. My first childhood memory is water rushing into the car and some stranger pulling me out. I was terrified of water after that, for obvious reasons.

Never went swimming or anything during my childhood or teenage years. But at some point in college I had a friend whose parents ran a scuba diving school. Had an introductory course in an indoor pool and for some reason (Maybe because I was scared of it or just dumbass bravado) I decided to give it a shot.

Went there. Got outfitted with the whole scuba gear and everything. To say I was scared would be an understatement. I was almost paralyzed by fear at the thought of sticking my head under water.

But, spent about 20 min swimming around under water and, while still didn't like it, found I could do it.

Fast forward to present day. I still have a fear of water, but I love swimming. Especially when the pool is empty and no one else around. It is very calming. One can meditate while swimming. And it is a great entire body workout.

In conclusion, I'm terrified of water...but love swimming.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations