WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Is it time to pull the plug On the René Young experiment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it time to pull the plug On the René Young experiment?
BatmiteReturns
Member # 4387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BatmiteReturns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely cringe every time she opens her mouth. Anyone else?
IP: Logged
Ravens Flock of Seagulls
Member # 128828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravens Flock of Seagulls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does she still do the whole "Oh!" thing several times a match? That annoyed me to the point of turning it off during one of her early shows.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice with her is that they need to have her doing practice matches in the studio solo or as a two person crew every day. And have her calling play by play (even if that's not her role). Just to increase her knowledge and to let her figure out the flow. This is their fault more than it is hers.

[ 01-10-2019, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Rudeboy13668
Member # 10221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudeboy13668     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She probably won't get any better. A 3 person booth is one too many for wrestling so she doesn't get a chance to say a lot. Plus WWE announcers have Vince McMahon screaming in their headsets.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or two too many.

It's funny. Her very first show she was good. I suspect they just let her alone to see how she would do. But ever since, just wretched. Her phony voice and annoying line readings.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they didn't have to play "optics," the best bet would be to put Michael Cole & Corey Graves on all shows and just let them call the matches and get the "stories" over without all the bickering schtick.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graves does come closest of anybody to pulling off Heel Commentator, but jeez, bury that schtick with the 20th Century already.

--------------------

ukfan01
Member # 127187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukfan01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be worse. Just wait until they mess up the opening and all you hear is what the announcers hear for the first segment. An opening 15 minute promo with a soundtrack of Vince, before they realise and go to commercial.
Duke Of Dorchester
Member # 6218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duke Of Dorchester   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd put up w/ her if she hung around the house w/ me in the nude...

--------------------
[[[----------]]]

Jay P. Punk
Member # 4082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay P. Punk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure which is worse...her or the shaky camera technique.
Werdna
Member # 38248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Werdna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been saying this since she started. For starters 3 is to many to start and when she does talk its like nails on a chalk board.
Dave from Down Under
Member # 126531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave from Down Under     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as they have acknowledged her marriage to Dean Ambrose, it makes little sense for her to remain detached and unknowing regarding Ambrose's state of mind and descent into heeldom.

A wife is oblivious as to why her husband is behaving in a certain way or has had a 180 degree change in attitude,seems a little far fetched. Don't they talk at home?

Surely the most logical way of advancing the story line is to turn Renee heel as well. Getting sick of her trying to change the subject whenever Graves brings things up.

Wouldn't it be expected for a wife to support her spouse in whatever pursuit he chooses which means that she should be anti-Rollins too for the sake of consistency methinks!

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it;s the modern world, football (real football) over here now has women experts on every single sow, regardless of their ability to do the job

there are a couple who are good and knowledgeable and have good tv personalities but many are there simply because the played women's soccer and that somehow means the comment on the Premier league despite not belonging anywhere near a tv screen (I don't mean lookswise there)

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

She's not incompetent. She was great in her former niche as anchor/interviewer. She just sucks at match commentary, which she actually said herself a year or two ago.

--------------------

Andy from NY
Member # 7701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy from NY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay P. Punk:

Shaky camera is worse. You can mute the sound.
Ordell
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ordell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear God yes, pull the plug, cut the plug off the cord and rip the plugs out of the wall.
Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andy from NY:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay P. Punk:

Shaky camera is worse. You can mute the sound.
You said it. Most of the time when I shut off Raw it's because I practically have dizzy spells trying to watch some matches.
FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
it;s the modern world, football (real football) over here

what the heck does that mean (real football) ?!

"Over here"

North America has REAL FOOTBALL Over here

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

FUN FACT: The term "soccer" was actually invented by the British.

In their defense however, they do play their football with their feet more than we North Americans do.

Ours is more "Smashball."

--------------------

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is she and why should i care?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

quote:
Originally posted by davephlegmball:
Who is she and why should i care?

Someone from this millennium. Don't worry.

[ 01-12-2019, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they want a women to call the matches, which I don’t think is bad given the current state of women’s wrestling, they should hire a former female wrestler who has been in the ring. For some reason I think Ivory would do a good job. Didn’t she used to commentate on Heat or a different show?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Eh. They've used Beth Phoenix and she sucks too. They've used her and Renee together and it's impossible to tell them apart off camera.

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Mike McGuirk did a decent job 30 years ago so a female commentator isn't a far fetched notion. Baby Doll was pretty good in Nelson Royal's promotion too

--------------------

Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Sometimes it's hard to tell Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton apart too but Phillips as at least okay at PBP.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Saxton's way better than Renee though. ****, COACH was way better then Renee.

--------------------

Antisocial Sociologist
Member # 128946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antisocial Sociologist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Baby Doll was pretty good in Nelson Royal's promotion too

Sorry Weezie, gotta disagree here. Baby Doll was one of my favorite valets and a huge part of my childhood, but under no circumstances should have been given a microphone and told to commentate.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Re-listen to those tapes, she carried Bill Connell.

--------------------

OSJ from NM by way of WA
Member # 6136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OSJ from NM by way of WA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UCW SLAM:
If they want a women to call the matches, which I don’t think is bad given the current state of women’s wrestling, they should hire a former female wrestler who has been in the ring. For some reason I think Ivory would do a good job. Didn’t she used to commentate on Heat or a different show?

She did and I thought she was excellent in the role. Totally old-school in her approach, a serious tone, no screaming or yelling. Obviously spent some time listening to Gordon Solie and taking notes. It's really remarkable just how much a good commentator can add to a show and of course, we have the reverse, wherein a bad commentator just ruin a whole program.

As bad as TNA was years ago, it was made infinitely worse by that screaming moron who used to shill sportscards... Don whatever-the-**** his name was...

I don't really blame either Beth Phoenix or Renee Young for their ineptitude at commentary, both ladies were rushed into the spot without adequate training and having VKM screaming instructions in their headsets.

As far as commentators in general, I'm extremely impressed with Nigel McGuiness, in my opinion the best color commentator that WWE has. Just the right level of excitement at the right moments without going overboard. NXT-Blackpool is textbook in how to do the job properly. It likely helps greatly that VKM leaves NXT pretty much alone, (hell, he probably isn't even aware that they have a UK brand...)

--------------------
"What you say sounds reasonable enough," said the man, "but I refuse to be bribed. I am here to whip people, and whip them I shall!")
-Franz Kafka - The Trial

Antisocial Sociologist
Member # 128946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antisocial Sociologist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaving Weezie Jefferson:
Re-listen to those tapes, she carried Bill Connell.

That's like saying I could carry George Gulas to a passable match.

Seriously, love Doll- she was my childhood crush. But Bill Connell was horrible and she wasn't much better.

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why? Solie Ross and Russell never set foot in a ring

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

UCW SLAM
Member # 2353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UCW SLAM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the bear:
quote:

Why? Solie Ross and Russell never set foot in a ring
Solie and Russell were pros. It's not always needed. JR does credit his experience officiating as helping him call the action. Renee hasn't worked out. I'd give another former wrestler a try, unless you know of a highly skilled female sports commentator in the same mold as Russell or Solie who is looking for work in WWE. There's also the difference between play by play and color. Solie, JR, and Russell were all play by play, calling the action in front of them. King, Dusty, Jesse, Heenan, were color, describing the feelings, thoughts, and emotions in the ring. It's easier to do that if you've been in there. MLB, NFL, and NBA have all recognized this. Even UFC. Rogan has physically experienced BJJ and kickboxing so he has a better prospective to describe the feelings fo the fights. Some would say UFC broadcasts are even better when a former fighter is doing color, rather than Rogan.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Actually the terms are meaningless. Solie did both and did them better alone than with any number or partners. Les Thatcher told me that they never thought about 'color' and 'play by play', they just called the match. It's even more meaningless now when nobody really calls the match. As far as Rogan, what he does best is call the action, and even phoning it in like he's been doing for years now he's better than any of the fighters, but comparing calling MMA to WWE is apples and Martians. Renee just can't handle making forced dialogue sound spontaneous. It's more of an acting problem than a 'sport commentary' problem. Her line readings are just even more grating than the rest of WWE's.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations