WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Results: Tulsa, OK 11/9/86

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Results: Tulsa, OK 11/9/86
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of Kris Zellner

From the Convention Center

1) The Missing Link & Joe Savoldi beat Rick Steiner & Sting by DQ

2) One Man Gang beat Terry Gordy by forfeit to win the UWF Title

3) Savannah Jack beat Buddy Roberts to win UWF Television Title

4) Leroy Brown & Bill Irwin beat John Tatum & Jack Victory to win UWF Tag Title

5) Buddy Landell beat Chavo Guerrero

6) Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. One Man Gang ended in a draw in a steel cage match

7) One Man Gang beat Jeff Raitz

8) Leroy Brown & Bill Irwin beat Joe Savoldi & Gary Young

9) Savannah Jack beat Art Crews

10) The Fantastics beat Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts by DQ

11) Jack Victory beat Bobby Perez

12) Hacksaw Jim Duggan beat The Libyan

13) Chavo Guerrero & Terry Taylor beat Rick Steiner & Sting by countout

14) Ted DiBiase, Steve Williams & Terry Taylor vs. Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts in an elimination match

IP: Logged
crimson knows google
Member # 6469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crimson knows google     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome card

--------------------
the mask equals knowledge?

crimson knows google
Member # 6469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crimson knows google     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome card

--------------------
the mask equals knowledge?

Steve Berberovic
Member # 7569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Berberovic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tv taping with some pretty competitive matches as well, UWF's tv was miles ahead of others in terms of match quality, and production wise I'd say 86 UWF looks better than 86 Crockett.
REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every title in the promotion changed hands on this episode, has that ever happened anywhere else?
MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol that's where russo got it from... kidding

--------------------
free

Bcleah
Member # 5397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bcleah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MoneyDragon:
lol that's where russo got it from... kidding

With the 'forfeit' too boot; you know what they say about speaking in jest! [Wink]
ukfan01
Member # 127187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukfan01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I'm wondering about the forfeit. I read a while ago that Gordy had been injured in an auto accident and was deemed unable to defend, this was also referred to in the Houston 10/17/86 thread as resulting in a shoulder injury. Gordy had wrestled on the PPW tapings the previous week (he and Michael Hayes faced Ted Dibiase & Terry Taylor in a country whipping match which aired the same weekend as the 3 title changes UWF episode), and that UWF episode opened with the 6-man elimination match which didn't happen and instead saw Gordy suffer the arm injury. Was there an auto accident, and if so were any specifics such as a date or location mentioned, or was the injury solely created to let Gordy go to Japan?

[ 11-09-2018, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: ukfan01 ]

Rudeboy13668
Member # 10221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudeboy13668     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A draw in a steel cage match? Terrible.
tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was more of a no contest than a draw with the Devastation Inc. crew getting inside to attack Duggan. That is still a bad finish for a cage match.

The matches are out of order although I don't know what the correct order would be.

ukfan01
Member # 127187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukfan01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Order as broadcast: 14 followed by 1-6 aired on the weekend of 11/15/86, then 7-13 aired on the weekend of 11/22/86.
Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved the 3 title changes episode when it first aired but also viewed it 10-15 years later on tape. Felt like a mess in a way and remember seeing these results before which did not help.

Still love the UWF but there was some drawbacks to the style much like this taping. Great on the surface but some of the underlying problems are evident: overexposure and rushing angles.

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

I thought the UWF took a turn for the worse after this taping. Gordy was tremendous as the UWF champ and the Freebirds were better as the top heel faction than Devastation Inc.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed Savannah Jack. Did he work anywhere after this? Or anywhere before for that matter?

--------------------
"I've been traveling throughout; exactly where, I don't know." - Ron Slinker

Dan P-170
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P-170     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
I enjoyed Savannah Jack. Did he work anywhere after this? Or anywhere before for that matter?

I think he ended up in Wild West after Crockett bought the UWF. He passed away in 2012.
Corkscrew Elbow
Member # 123008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corkscrew Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered about Savannah Jack. He just kind of showed up out of nowhere. Got a decent push. Then kind of disappeared.
Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he broke in with Eddie Sharkey. Saw his name on a couple PWA results pre-UWF days.

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savannah Jack was definitely a Minnesota guy with ties to Eddie Sharkey. He came back here after his wrestling career abruptly ended due to a heart attack.
Jm
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember reading about Savannah Jack in one of the magazines back in that era. Cannot remember which one, but they did have a blurb on his Minnesota roots.

Believe part of the article mentioned he was part of a tag-team or even tag-team champion in PWA before he came to UWF. From my perspective, he came out of nowhere and returned just as quick. I did like his gimmick as it was a unique look and he seemed decent in-ring as well. Was surprised he did not last, quite frankly as he had potential.

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Played football for Minnesota University according to this obit

http://www.startribune.com/obit-former-u-football-player-pro-wrestler-savannah-jack-russell/137982183/

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

brawler2711
Member # 26849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brawler2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting that card.

terry gordy was a gawdelpus hand.

--------------------
Sir Tojo: "I used Brut in the late '60's-early '70's. Used to splash it all over my crotch area after a shower--no joke.I used to get some funny reactions to that back in my early 20's. Fond memories."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations