WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Roddy Piper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roddy Piper
Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Roddy Piper in The Ku Klux Klan? A poster on Facebook mentioned the other day that Piper was a "card carrying member of The KKK" along with Dick Murdoch, Killer Karl Kox and others. He said that pro wrestling was full of racists and wrestlers who were KKK.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

IP: Logged
CONAN
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CONAN         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does/did the KKK issue membership cards?
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murdoch yes. Bulldog Brower yes. Guys like Missouri Mauler, Brute Bernard, and Homer O'Dell as well I believe.

Don't recall ever hearing that was Roddy's bag.

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people labeled him that from the Blackface thing vs. Bad News Brown at WM7 or whenever it was.
He just ripped off that "Star Trek" angle from 20 years prior.

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where would Piper have joined the KKK... Canada?

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard Piper being in the Klan, not even a rumor I heard about. I was close to people in his inner circle and never heard that.

Piper was a LOT of things, but I would be pretty certain a Klan member was not one of them.

King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that most KKK members would have been raised in America and mainly in the south.

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claymation Quartermain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re-reading the post I think the guy, who wrestles or wrestled said “so and so was racist. Dick Murdoch was a card carrying member of the KKK and Roddy Piper as well.” So he might have been saying Murdoch was in the KKK and then added Piper as somebody he heard was racist. That could come from the Bad News Coage thing.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
I would think that most KKK members would have been raised in America and mainly in the south.

Brower was from Delaware and O'Dell was from Illinois. They have hatred everywhere.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

The KKK was at one time in Canada from what I read online. And there is racism in Canada I think. Not so sure as much against descendants from The African nations but Indians, Pakistani etc.

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

codystarbuck
Member # 27176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for codystarbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klan, no; racist? Well, when he talks about his childhood and growing up around the First Nation tribes (his father was a cop, on a reservation) and he sounds a bit racist. He was definitely an outsider, in that world, as he has described it (in his and other podcasts) and it wasn't too much of a stretch to ascribe racism to some of the things he said. he certainly knew how to push racial buttons, for an angle, as with the Guerreros in LA, Snuka and Cage in the WWF, and others elsewhere. Those were angles; but, it is possible that he didn't turn it off backstage.

The poster needs to see Spike Lee's movie, as a black cop was a card carrying member of the Klan.

--------------------
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." —Terry Pratchett

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:
The KKK was at one time in Canada from what I read online. And there is racism in Canada I think. Not so sure as much against descendants from The African nations but Indians, Pakistani etc.

Don't kid yourself. Just like everywhere...racism is abound. First Nations, new Canadians, and past beefs from the "home country" are prevalent, unfortunately. Blood feuds and resentment can take centre stage in many communities. You don't find many second, third or higher generation Canadians..especially those not of British decent. The East coast has lots of more established families...but the rest of us seem to be 1st generation Canadians.

I think Piper had other, more hidden issues than racism.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet Roddy, like others were labeled racist for his liberal use of the N word. Unfortunately it was a common word used in wrestling. Did that mean that Roddy didn't have a friend or two that was black? I'm sure he had friends in wrestling who were black, but he still used the N word. Many white wrestlers have been accused of using the word and like I said it was used liberally in wrestling.

Roddy was a walking contradiction. For every person that loved the guy, I know someone who thought he was evil. I've seen all sides of Roddy, the side where he was charming and warm. I've also seen the side where he was abusive and destructive.

Claymation Quartermain
Member # 6083

Definitely had/have white supremacist in Canada too.

When I heard Roddy tell stories about his growing up and his life before wrestling I wonder how much is true, how much is a legend he created for himself and how much was just out and out b.s.. Another person that reminds me of Roddy in this way is Vampiro.

[ 10-10-2018, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Claymation Quartermain ]

--------------------
"Old Time Hockey?"

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Nearly every story Roddy has as part of his legend has been proven wrong. From simple things like his first match, to him wrestling at 15 years old or whatever.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure why the Klan would need to be in Canada he could easily have joined when he was in the States

Should very much point out here I have absolute nothing to say he did or was racist, just pointing out he wouldn't have needed to have joined in Canada

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Skullbutt
Member # 21433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skullbutt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember him making fun of Slick's large lips, which I considered to be racist at the time.
TVO
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TVO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, many people are racists to some degree Piper included.

I do not think he was a member of the clan as some of Pipers closest friends in wrestling were not white Like Don Muraco who is Polynesian.

To those who do not think Canada has racism guess again!

--------------------
TVO - "Television that Matters"

RichATL
Member # 126586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Lived in the south my whole life, minus a year I lived in Ohio. I witnessed more incidents and overheard more comments that could be considered racist in that one year in Ohio than I have in more than 50 years in the south.
the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Claymation Quartermain:

Mass "Go Home Paki" chants aimed at Gama Singh in Stampede spring to mind

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm shocked that the question of Canada having racism is even breached. Name a country that doesnt have racism? Let's get real.
Shaving Weezie Jefferson
Member # 126638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaving Weezie Jefferson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RichATL:
quote:

Lived in the south my whole life, minus a year I lived in Ohio. I witnessed more incidents and overheard more comments that could be considered racist in that one year in Ohio than I have in more than 50 years in the south.
Had similar experiences living in Minnesota (and you're far more likely to see interracial couples in the redneck boonies these days than in suburban Minneapolis).

I think bigotry tends to take hold when people get sequestered with their "own kind." You get bigots in say, uptown Manhattan when it's a section where there's only "one kind of person." But walk a couple of blocks and you see a bigger mix. Perspectives change. People tend to stop being ass*holes to each other when they have to interact. It's the "other side of the island" syndrome.

That said, there are too many damn white people in my hillbilly hometown.

[ 10-12-2018, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Shaving Weezie Jefferson ]

--------------------
This post isn't about wrestling. It is intended only to mock and criticize Richard Wallner.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skullbutt:
I remember him making fun of Slick's large lips, which I considered to be racist at the time.

Using remarks like that as part of wrestler-promo-speak is pretty meaningless as far as the topic goes. Even in the real world, some people say insensitive things and just don't get it but aren't racists in the least. Many who are prone to pithy remarks at a group's expense are more influenced by a sense that if not everyone in the group is offended than that's defense enough than by racism. Not that this excuses it, but you can't draw a line from a remark to racism without context.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations