WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » MMA: Oh Dear God DANIEL CORMIER-DERRICK LEWIS OFFICIAL FOR UFC 230 AT MADISON SQUARE (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: MMA: Oh Dear God DANIEL CORMIER-DERRICK LEWIS OFFICIAL FOR UFC 230 AT MADISON SQUARE
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.f4wonline.com/ufc-news/daniel-cormier-derrick-lewis-official-ufc-230-madison-square-garden-267526

*smh*

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From which, and from Lesnar's reappearance in WWE, I am suspecting that Lesnar is not coming back to UFC at all, and Cormier's retirement fight will indeed be Jones.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Oh and

quote:
The MSG show also features Nate Diaz vs. Dustin Poirier and Chris Weidman vs. Luke Rockhold II, but will not feature the much-discussed Valentina Shevchenko vs. Sijara Eubanks fight for the vacant women's flyweight title. White told Okamoto via text that the plan will now be to move back to a December fight between Shevchenko vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

Eubanks had said she signed the contract to fight while Shevchenko never responded publicly. Meanwhile, Jedrzejczyk publicly aired her issues with how things went down which may not make that as smooth a process as White might hope.

--------------------

Lance Goodthrust from NL
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lance Goodthrust from NL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DC just said a couple weeks ago that his hand wouldn't be ready for another fight on Dec. 29, but now is good to go.

Can't fault them for making the fight, but if Cormier drags Lewis into the 4th or 5th rounds it's going to get ugly. He was gassed wihin 2 last Saturday after 'doubling his daily training form 30 to 60 minutes' to prepare for Volkov.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

It's gonna get ugly as soon as Cormier puts him on his ass. Which is gonna take maybe 10 seconds.

--------------------

Sac
Member # 3044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dustin's out now.
Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will need a oscillating fan ringside to keep Lewis’s balls from overheating.

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

Steve Ogilvie
Member # 5116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Ogilvie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't you fault them for making the fight? Both fighters said they didn't like the idea of the fight on that date.

--------------------
"Mr 100%"

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

whY SiR WHy//////\\\\\\\mOneY That Is WhY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

--------------------

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As already mentioned, Cormier will take him down and beat him rather easily. Lewis does deserve this shot by beating Ngganou and beating the guy who beat Werdum.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

KJL
Member # 3872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my bookie, Brock got pulled because Dana went to visit him and discuss some merch contracts and was appalled to see that he weighed 203 and was crying about the sad ending to a Lifetime Original Movie.

--------------------
"Jeez, the thread was going better when people were calling each other cokeheads and homos." -Crimson Mask from FL

KJL
Member # 3872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]

--------------------
"Jeez, the thread was going better when people were calling each other cokeheads and homos." -Crimson Mask from FL

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see a problem with this. Lewis isn't undeserving, maybe you can say Stipe deserves a rematch first, but Lewis is the #2 contender and I presume Stipe isn't ready to fight so soon. It'll a nice payday for Lewis and presumably a fairly straightforward win for Cormier. Then we can move onto Cormier vs Jones, or Stipe, or Lesnar.

This is a weak card for MSG though. I think they should have saved Khabib vs Conor for this one.

Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cormier obviously feels he can fit this one in and still be ready to go for Brock in early 2019. He's probably getting offered a lot of money and realistically with Jones back there's no guarantee he will actually get the Lesnar fight.
Armageddon_T_Thunderbird
Member # 44658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armageddon_T_Thunderbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stomper from SK:
Will need a oscillating fan ringside to keep Lewis’s balls from overheating.

Surely, with all the scientific breakthroughs that have come about in the last decade, there is something that can be done about the suffering that poor man has to endure due to his balls being hot.

Or would that be a matter his corner people should be attending to? Maybe keep an extra water bottle to be used between rounds for that reason?

--------------------
Your uncrowned NWA Heavyweight Champion of the World.

"One day I was walking and found this big log. Then I rolled the big log over and underneath was a tiny, little stick, and I was like, that log had a child!" - Yoda

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Lewis is very talented actually. He's explosive, flexible, hits hard, can take a lot of punishment, and that's the stuff you can't teach. If he ever got in f*cking shape he'd be a really good fighter. Just the fact that he's gotten THIS far WITHOUT being in f*cking shape demonstrates that.

I guess he is the logical contender at the moment if you really think about it. (I mean, Brock certainly isn't.) The problem is he's never been in f*cking shape in his life. He doesn't know what it is.

And btw kinda curious to see how Cormier's cardio is if he can't get rid of Lewis early, with HIM carrying all that blubber too. There was no problem when he was HW before, but he was a lot younger and he wasn't THIS fat.

--------------------

Old WWWF Fan
Member # 126715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Old WWWF Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
From which, and from Lesnar's reappearance in WWE, I am suspecting that Lesnar is not coming back to UFC at all, and Cormier's retirement fight will indeed be Jones.

AGGGHH another year of Lesnar with the strap, making about one title defense every four months...then again, Vince's guy has the strap now, so we'll see
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Lewis is very talented actually. He's explosive, flexible, hits hard, can take a lot of punishment, and that's the stuff you can't teach. If he ever got in f*cking shape he'd be a really good fighter. Just the fact that he's gotten THIS far WITHOUT being in f*cking shape demonstrates that.

I guess he is the logical contender at the moment if you really think about it. (I mean, Brock certainly isn't.) The problem is he's never been in f*cking shape in his life. He doesn't know what it is.

And btw kinda curious to see how Cormier's cardio is if he can't get rid of Lewis early, with HIM carrying all that blubber too. There was no problem when he was HW before, but he was a lot younger and he wasn't THIS fat.

In fact before he knocked Stipe out I was thinking 'Wow, all that fat is really limiting his movement.'

--------------------

Blue Thunder
Member # 4504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Thunder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Lewis should be in better shape than ever before. There's no break time for him between fights. I think he'd do much better at 255. I hope he brings a top notched wrestler for a full camp. I don't think he had to worry about being outwrestled against Volkov, but Cormier, as we know, is a different fighter. There's always that big if when Lewis is fighting. Stipe landed on Cormier, and I think Lewis hits harder than Stipe. Ngganou has got to be kicking himself. This could have been his shot if he didn't play pacifist against Lewis.

--------------------
"Racism is evil"- Donald Trump

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cormier vs Lewis is going to be similar to Conor/Khabib but an even greater extreme.

Lewis has got the ability to KO DC, but if he doesn't land a shot. DC is going to throw him down and maul him, and it will be an even shorter fight. Lewis has far less ability on the ground than Conor does.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

DC could possibly knock Lewis out, too. Lewis has talent, but he lacks both conditioning and skills. He can't wrestle, he can't box, he can't kickbox, he can't grapple. He has far less ability than Conor everywhere. And DC is a much better striker than Khebab.

--------------------

Stomper from SK
Member # 5703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stomper from SK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"When he's through counting his bruises, he'll revert to the farm life he left in Carbon, Alberta, when he embarked an his wrestling career. The Stomper credits Stu Hart with launching his career and adding polish to his techniques and strength to his body. He's come a long way since he left Hart's basement gym a decade ago." (by Hal Walker, from the CALGARY HERALD, Jan. 6, 1974)

David meltzer
Member # 2690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David meltzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fight is a joke. Lewis back is shot and can't train.

DC can't grip or close a fist, will have a hard time wrestling but probably figures he's way too fast standing. Really, one mistake and it could be trouble, plus his messed up hand and wrist aren't going to be doing him any favors against a guy as durable as Lewis.

They offered both a ridiculous amount of money Neither could turn it down. Netiher will be close to ready.

David meltzer
Member # 2690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David meltzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fight is a joke. Lewis back is shot and can't train.

DC can't grip or close a fist, will have a hard time wrestling but probably figures he's way too fast standing. Really, one mistake and it could be trouble, plus his messed up hand and wrist aren't going to be doing him any favors against a guy as durable as Lewis.

They offered both a ridiculous amount of money Neither could turn it down. Netiher will be close to ready.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/24959925/daniel-cormier-says-two-fights-left

"I can still fight in March and hit my retirement date. The one opponent that would matter to me most is Jones, because he's beaten me twice."

"The one that would mean more financially would be Lesnar. I think I would always pick the one that means more, but my wife might have something to say about that."

"I would not have accepted a rematch against Stipe Miocic on short notice, he's too good."

--------------------

Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev McGrath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, the money that's on the table he should fight both, push back his retirement 3 or 4 months and he's set for life.
Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, don't think anyone is going to call DC out for not sticking to his plan to retire when he turns 40.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

https://www.f4wonline.com/ufc-news/daniel-cormier-might-fight-jon-jones-again-instead-brock-lesnar-267731

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

-

Nothin like puttin the heavyweight champion of the world in the background to a comedy act.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Should make it a Popeye's Chicken On A Pole Match.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

So now Rockfish is out. Else is new.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

****, just have Weidman fight Diaz. Nate's psycho enough to do it.

--------------------

omgenghis
Member # 8665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omgenghis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they have to offer the fight to Jacare and then find another fighter to face Branch. That's really the simple solution. [Roll Eyes]

[ 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: omgenghis ]

--------------------
We all live in a yellow sub-routine.

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Happ Hazzard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's Anderson Silva doing?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by omgenghis:
No, they have to offer the fight to Jacare and then find another fighter to face Branch.

Yup. Jared Cannonier.

Actually good solution. Jacare merits one more shot at staying in the top group of contenders, Branch would have been a step down in comp, and he's a better match in level with Cannonier than Jacare.

Jacare and Weidman is interesting. They're both on the downslide but not much and about equally and their skills compare well. Weidman's a better boxer and wrestler but Jacare hits harder, and Jacare's obviously better at grappling but Weidman's very good, and neither one has the best chin.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Cormier's even heavier than last time.

--------------------

Kev McGrath
Member # 3513

251, don't think it matters though. Lewis will gas first.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Main card (PPV at 10 p.m. ET)

Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis

Chris Weidman vs. Ronaldo Souza

David Branch vs. Jared Cannonier

Karl Roberson vs. Jack Marshman

Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya

Undercard (FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET)

Jason Knight vs. Jordan Rinaldi

Sijara Eubanks vs. Roxanne Modafferi

Julio Arce vs. Sheymon Moraes

Ben Saunders vs. Lyman Good

Undercard (UFC Fight Pass at 6:15 p.m. ET)

Matt Frevola vs. Lando Vannata

Shane Burgos vs. Kurt Holobaugh

Brian Kelleher vs. Montel Jackson

Adam Wieczorek vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima

--------------------

Happ Hazzard
Member # 4893

This is a total two match card. I haven't even heard of more than half the fighters outside the top two fights. I predict Cormier and Jacare to win.
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

He's fatter then Lewis.

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations