WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » All Japan Pro Wrestling at the Olympic 12/18/70

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All Japan Pro Wrestling at the Olympic 12/18/70
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RiGijpG0OM

Probably the best quality footage I've ever seen from the Olympic. Was wondering if anyone had any more details. Was this the only match on the card? What was the full card? What was the attendance? How was the sold to the American audience? It looks like it was specifically for the Japanese audience as the ring apron is in Japanese and only a Japanese announcer.

Any or all information would be excellent!

IP: Logged
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also I've never seen a ton of Gene Kiniski, mostly a lot of clips but there are two full matches from this uploader. In fact here is the match prior to the above clip. The clip from the Olympic was the rematch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6FdQmTfWPk

tamalie from MN
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamalie from MN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the JWA, the predecessor to All Japan and New Japan.
FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

quote:
Originally posted by tamalie from MN:
This is the JWA, the predecessor to All Japan and New Japan.

Good call on that. I completely whiffed on the date. Automatically assume Baba and All Japan.
Cargo
Member # 129035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cargo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This footage is in such great quality because it was owned by the network. Much like the preservation by NBC, CBS, and ABC, that's why there is so much classic Japanese footage. Unlike most territories in the US.

Don't remember who it was but someone that worked in World Class told me about in the sportatorium was a room full of old film just rotting away.

--------------------
"I probably did it"

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it's simply amazing how different the Olympic looks in this quality and style. Really cool to see this.

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That match took place of Friday, December 18, 1970. It was one of several matches that night. The Olympic usually had a big card for the last Friday night of year. I wasn't able to attend that night as I was banned from The Olympic Auditorium the previous Wednesday night.

Here are a couple adds for that Friday night:

Commercial Photography

Commercial Photography

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't able to attend as you were banned the previous Wednesday. Al, you are a legend...
White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al, you are indeed a legend! That Blassie & Sheik picture is one I've never seen before! Who is it in the black slacks with his back to us>

--------------------

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
FREE POT & BEER PARTY 7-8 PM FOR ALL FANS ON OCTOBER 17th IN CANADA

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzFace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocky Johnson was the soul man. Why was Earl Maynard super?

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

First Row Al
Member # 127224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Row Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read my post of the Lou Thesz Forum "Banned From The Olympic, page 2, dated 6-3-18. I go into why I was banned by Mike LeBell. They dragged me up to office on a Wednesday night and him & I had it out. He then banned me for life and told me if I ever come back he'd have be arrested for trespassing. I guess he didn't like my antics in the first row after years of watching some of his crummy wrestlers. I'm still trying to figure out who that other guy in the ring was. I was there at the Sheik-Blassie match so I'll to go back to those programs and see if I can figure it out.
FuzzFace
Member # 98738

I don't like your stories or believe them.

--------------------

FuzzFace
Member # 98738

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Because.

Yes Hes super wow. The name was familiar never seen a pic.

--------------------

First Row Al
Member # 127224

A year earlier on Friday, December 19, 1969 also at The Olympic Baba faced Fritz von Erich for the International Title and it too was on Japanese TV. It's on the internet somewhere. I've seen it.

I'm in the first row watching the match. I'm sitting dead center and am wearing black rim glasses with light brown air. Dan Westbrook, the photographer, is sitting next to me. He worked for the Japanese wrestling magazines and would become the Olympic photographer. You can see him aking pictures with his camera.

Half way through the match Jimmy Lennon and Doc Schwartz sit right in front of me but you can see me peeking around them. Check it out.

Also, after checking my programs and notes for the 2 Blassie-Sheik cage matches in the summer of 1970 at the Olympic I can't figure out who that other guy is in the ring.

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

quote:
Originally posted by First Row Al:
Sheik cage matches in the summer of 1970 at the Olympic I can't figure out who that other guy is in the ring.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

quote:
Originally posted by First Row Al:
A year earlier on Friday, December 19, 1969 also at The Olympic Baba faced Fritz von Erich for the International Title and it too was on Japanese TV. It's on the internet somewhere. I've seen it.

I'm in the first row watching the match. I'm sitting dead center and am wearing black rim glasses with light brown air. Dan Westbrook, the photographer, is sitting next to me. He worked for the Japanese wrestling magazines and would become the Olympic photographer. You can see him aking pictures with his camera.

Half way through the match Jimmy Lennon and Doc Schwartz sit right in front of me but you can see me peeking around them. Check it out.

Also, after checking my programs and notes for the 2 Blassie-Sheik cage matches in the summer of 1970 at the Olympic I can't figure out who that other guy is in the ring.

From the same uploader:

https://youtu.be/ifAZP48Sz6g

Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is on my list of best matches I ever saw at the Olympic. I felt like I was getting to watch major league wrestling.

My guess is LeBell didn't like Big Al's jokes. Pio Rivera people are hard to get along with. They live on the wrong side of the river. The wet side.--Yohe

diamondmd
Member # 1292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamondmd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by White Fang from WA:
Al, you are indeed a legend! That Blassie & Sheik picture is one I've never seen before! Who is it in the black slacks with his back to us>

Looks like referee Jerry Murdock.

--------------------
http://www.gccwhistory.com/

First Row Al
Member # 127224

I guess we in Pico Rivera are so hard to get along with is because all the crap from Montebello flows down hill into PR. That's why we have a bad reputation because we have to put up with all of Montebello's crap. Plus we have a lot more and a lot better taco stands than Montebello.
Steve Yohe
Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Yohe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your pis*ed off because we made Pico Rivera pay for the bridge when it burnt down. I liked the place better when it was two cities Pico...and Rivera! They were so bad, they had to form as a team to be survive.--Yohe
First Row Al
Member # 127224

It could have been worse. When the voters approved the merger in 1957 they also had to choose a new name: Pico Rivera or Serra City. Obviously PR won, thank God!

The only good thing Montebello has going for it is "Gar-Duno's hamburger and taco stand on Whittier Blvd. Still has decent food after 60 years. All the other good spots are gone: The Garmar, The Vogue, The French Cafe and The Tamale Hut. The building is still there but I don't know what's there.

And it was Montebello's homeless bums who burned the bridge down not PR bums!!! The only reason we paid for the bridge is because Montebello is broke from spending all their money fumigating Gar-Duno's!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations