WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Mae Young Tourney Starts Tonight After NXT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mae Young Tourney Starts Tonight After NXT
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was very entertaining last year.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

IP: Logged
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(On WWE Network.)

--------------------

Pillsbury
Member # 43540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pillsbury     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lacey Lane looks like a damn good athlete and I liked the dynamic of her and Vanessa Kraven in the big vs little type match.Thought Rhea Ripley looked good and Meiko Satomura/Killer Kelly was a good physical match.Like the saying goes,there’s levels to this sh*t and Meiko is levels past everyone but we all know this.

One other thing.I ain’t saying great or anything like that but this show was just another example of Michael Cole being tolerable at the very least and at some points good.Every time Cole has a chance to do something where he ain’t micro managed he shows that he’s competent.I just wanted to point that out cause he sucks so bad on Raw.The only thing with the announcing to me was Beth and Renee seemed interchangeable.If It were up to me I’d have had Cole and Renee do the first rnd so we get familiar with Renee and then add Beth for the quarter or semi finals for her in ring expertise as the tourney gets down to the nitty gritty.

[ 09-06-2018, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Pillsbury ]

--------------------
Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have FIVE SUPER BOWL RINGS!!!.......FIVE!!!

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Yeah I wasn't sure which one was talking either.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

And I was underwhelmed overall. Meiko-Kelly was good, Lane-Kraven was okay, Ripley seems to have gone several steps backwards since last year, and I can barely even remember the first match.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good opener. Started fast, but finished a little slow. Zatara is pretty good. A good pairing for Tegan Nox. Cole put Nox over a lot.

I have Rhea Ripley winning her quarter of the bracket. She had a lot of potential last year. I made that Charlotte Flair comparison last year. I don't think it applies anymore. She actually seems less athletic. I like the new look though. MJ Jenkins got the most she could out of that match.

Lio Rush is in the building to tell them all the are not ready for Asuka.

Seems like Kraven has been in rasslin for such a long time. Lacey Lane moves well. Tough break on that triple jump deal. Looks like the Dudley school isn't turning out any scrubs. Surprised by that finish.

Meiko may be the greatest of all time in the ring. And she's still one of the best. Crazy that Matsumoto, who was probably the best in the world last year, and Io, who has probably been the best over the last five years, are all in the same tournament, but in North America. Kelly is good. She'll be fun to watch on NXTUK. She seemed genuinely thrilled to be in there with Meiko. I see they have been working on look surprised by the two count at the PC.

--------------------
"R-A-S-S-L-I-N!" -- Glen Goza

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Which needs to go away the sooner the better.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEN from MS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Which needs to go away the sooner the better.

Agreed. The zoom in on the shocked rassler's expression actually takes the viewer out of the moment. If you're briefly surprised by the near fall, you're immediately reminded you're just a spectator, watching a show.

Kelly seems like the kind of fighter who would pound her fist on the canvas and maybe get a little frustrated, as opposed to doing the same cliche as everyone else.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

It if was used once in a blue moon at a moment of peak frustration, fine. But EVERYBODY does it in EVERY match. And it's babyish bullsh*t. I mean, it's okay for tennis players or whatever who get a break after every point, but when does any kind of legit fighter show frustration when not quite finishing an opponent in the middle of a round? You get back to work is what you do.

--------------------

davephlegmball
Member # 5163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davephlegmball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the winner get a trophy shaped like a hand?
Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Decent second week. Really good opener With Deanna Purrazzo vs. Priscilla Kelly (who is already very good at 21 and good looking and charismatic and I think is going to be a star) and a really good last match with Mercedes Martinez vs. Ashley (Madison) Rayne. The commentary is dragging it down though. Still hard to tell Renee and Beth apart and they just aren't good at this. Renee's fine as an interviewer or anchor but match commentary is not her talent. Cole is not good enough to carry them.

--------------------

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really high on Priscilla. Like you said she's really young and doesn't have a ton of experience. She's very charismatic, and has a great character (not playing a character, she's a character). Since it's a little edgy for WWE's standards she really wasn't able to express it like I've seen in the past.

Deonna of course is really good.

Again like last year, many of the women in the MYC are actually fundamentally better than some on the main roster.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Farmer from WA:
I'm really high on Priscilla. Like you said she's really young and doesn't have a ton of experience. She's very charismatic, and has a great character (not playing a character, she's a character). Since it's a little edgy for WWE's standards she really wasn't able to express it like I've seen in the past.

True but that made her rely on her wrestling ability more than usual and it was there.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Deonna Purrazzo vs. Priscilla Kelly - Purrazzo has a bright future, at least as far as NXT. She's a perfect fit for that brand. Didn't know much about Kelly going in, but did find it funny that all of her indy highlights were against Jordynne Grace. Match was okay for Round 1. Kelly turned out to be decent. Seems like they've done a lot better in the vetting process this year.

Zeuxis vs. Aerial Monroe - Having some familiarity with the work of both of these rasslers, I thought this match had potential to be the one Round 1 match that left people wondering how they both made it to the tournament. They're both good at what they do. But they both do something totally different than each other. Clunky from the opening bell. Glad the finisher was clean, even though getting there was fairly ugly.

Kacy Cantazaro vs. Reina Gonzalez - This is typically the spot on the show where they try to hide the weaker matches. Going in, to imagine that this match was weaker than the previous one was not a good sign. Not sure Kacy can do that entrance with the LED ringposts. Outcome was a far better match from far less-experienced rasslers than in the previous match. Kind of speaks to the cohesiveness in the PC training. Booking wise, not sure that upset was really what the tournament needed. Reina looked good. They already had one of those David-beats-Goliath upsets that actually made a lot more sense with the talent and performances involved.

Mercedes Martinez vs. Ashley Rayne - Is it okay to comment on Ashley Lane's plastic surgery? Because it's there. I have not been following her career, but that's definitely not the naturally aging face. Going in, I'd kind of like to see Mercedes win with a squash, but none of these matches seem to be willing to do that. That folding driver early on could have easily been the finish. That was pretty sick. Mercedes gave a lot in this match that just came across as keeping the match going. Nothing about the match being balanced was convincing. Okay match otherwise.

I generally like Beth Phoenix and Renee Young, but they are not doing the tournament any favors. Cole is doing very well though.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Kaitlyn vs. Devi - On paper, this match screams trainwreck. Devi is still awkward in the ring. And Kaitlyn has not been rasslin during her time away, that I know of. Unless they have completely ironed this thing out at the PC. : Better than expected. They kept it simple. But nothing special or really memorable.

Toni vs. Jinny - I'm guessing Toni wins the tournament. And they've given her the gift of familiarity out if the gate. : Good match. Whoever helps put the matches together is really good at helping them clean things up and give it direction. This same match in Progress would have been okay, but probably just them taking turns doing big moves.

Karen Q vs. Xia Li - This is that spot on the tournament shows where they put the worst match on the episode. Karen Q is not that good, and probably overrated by her association with ROH. And Xia has not been seen on NXT yet. But she's gotta be better than Devi, right? : Yep, better than Devi. Match was better than expected. Some camera angles may have hidden some things. Xia might be close to an NXT TV debut if she cleans up a few aspects.

Mia Yim vs. AK - Should be another example of taking what they would have done in Shimmer and cleaning it up for a solid match. : Okay match. The backstory and the heat seemed forced. Would have worked better if there was something in this match that set them off.

--------------------

rtbuck
Member # 128969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do enjoy the tournament (last year & this year) but thought last night was a bit boring and very predictable...the best match for me was Mia vs Allysin but still knew Mia was going to get the win...I thought last week was much better...Toni Storm may end up doing well in the tournament
HEN from MS
Member # 3801

I think some Round 1 predictability is to be expected. Match quality is clearly the focus as this may even be considered an opportunity to make a big impression (like Cedric Alexander did in his match with Kota Ibushi).

Some matches seem to call for an even more lop-sided presentation (Martinez vs. Lane). But they are clearly intent on letting everyone get in all their stuff. In the Mia vs. AK match, for example, Kay pretty much wasted her finisher, seemingly just because they wanted to get it in the match. I was thinking Mia wanted to be closer to the ropes to break the pin attempt, but ended up kicking out instead.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

So far it's a little lame compared to last year.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Rachel Evers vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto:
  • Pre-Match - Just to be clear, Rachel Ellering is known as the Queen of Strong Smile, not Strong Style. But both are a stretch after that nonsense she pulled with Konami. Looking forward to Godzilla giving her the business. Matsumoto was easily the best in the world last year.
  • Post-Match - Good match. Had some awkward transitions, but the exchanges were compelling. If Rachel can have performances like that, she could do well in NXT. She’s already over with the Full Sail crowd.

Taynara Conti vs. Jessie Elaban:
  • Pre-Match - Taynara was on NXT TV immediately following the first MYC… and then she was off, and has been ever since. I think it’s obvious she has a good look, but not really much else to go with it. Will be interesting to see if she has improved as she will likely get the win here.
  • Post-Match - Nope, not much better. Still good-looking though. I kind of wonder if Jessie doesn’t have more in-ring potential than Taynara. Jessie’s gimmick would have longer legs on the indy scene, but probably won’t age well being on TV every week.

Isla Dawn vs. Nicole Matthews:
  • Pre-Match - Seems like Nicole Matthews had a match on NXT a hella long time ago (maybe against Sarah Logan). I would guess she was directed to work on some of her less flattering physical traits. She’s solid in the ring regardless.
  • Post-Match - Interesting that Isla Dawn is still all-in on the Aleister Black offensive moves. Not sure either of them looked good coming out of this match. I would guess Nicole Matthews is the better option for making Tegan Nox look good in Round 2.

Io Shirai vs. Xia Brookside:
  • Pre-Match - I think they are gifting Io some Stardom familiarity for Round 1. Hopefully Robbie’s stepdaughter leaves a good impression as she can be a lot of fun to watch. Too bad they don’t throw streamers in Full Sail. Io is a star though, and always tends to shine brighter than everyone.
  • Post-Match - Quick and to the point. Fun to watch for a straightforward Round 1 match.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

REALLY good match between Meiko and Mercedes last night.

--------------------

John from CT
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John from CT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the best women's matches in WWE ever. Sensational stuff.
HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Toni Storm - Excellent match. Could have benefitted from more time.

Kacy Catanzaro vs. Rhea Ripley - The longer Kacy is out there, the more she is exposed. She’s kind of a one-trick rassler at this point. Rhea looked better here than in the first round.

Lacey Lane vs. Taynara Conti - For the sake of match quality going forward, they absolutely had to go with Lane. She’s good. Conti just does not seem to be getting there. They had to go to the odd camera angle to hide a few things.

Mercedes Martinez vs. Meiko Satomura - Fun match. So good the rest of the tournament seemed like a slow build to get to this one.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Kacy is still a botchfest. Shouldn't be on TV yet.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Not just the botching on springboards and other gymnastic stuff she's supposed to be good at; she runs the ropes like Babe the Farmer's Daughter. She does not do the little things well.

--------------------

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That match between Meiko and Mercedes was just as amazing as I thought it would be. I hated to see either one lose, even though Mercedez has always been my girl. The commentators said the other women should be backstage, taking notes. I've never heard a commentator hit the nail on the head better.

The only two workers in this tournament that simply don't impress me in ANY way are Jessie Elaban and Kacy Catanzaro. Neither one should be on television at this point, let alone in such a high-profile capacity. As a quick win for an established NXT wrestler? Sure. But not here. They're both just awful.

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Zeuxis vs. Io Shirai - Much better performance for Zeuxis than in Round 1. Says a lot about how great Io is and how inexperienced Aerial was. They talked a lot about Io's high flying and strong style, but neglected to mention her Lucha training and experience, which is the reason for the mask she wears during her entrance. Really fun match.

Xia Li vs. Deonna Purazzo - Purazzo is going to get that reputation for having good matches with everyone. Really good showing for Xia Li, despite the inexperience. Purazzo would be the ideal NXT Women's champ.

Tegan Nox vs. Nicole Mathews - Okay match. Seemed quick to the finish. It wasn't bad, but it was in the spot on the show where they have been known to try to hide a match. Also, the underlying news for both rasslers made it kind of awkward.

Mia Yim vs. Kaitlyn - Good storytelling. Good match. Admittedly, Kaitlyn was better than expected.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Problem with Tegan vs. Nicole was they were both busy trying to keep their titties from falling out.

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

Nicole always has problems with ill-fitting gear. If not the titties, she's pulling up her pants to cover butt cleavage after every move.

--------------------

reckoning
Member # 25020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckoning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, the two best matches so far were the two Mercedes was in. I don't know if they have plans for her after the tourney, but if her performance here didn't impress them, nothing will.

I agree that Catanzaro was terrible. I've never seen Ninja Warrior or whatever the show she was on is called. Is the show a big deal? Would WWE consider it a coup to have someone from the show on their main roster? Michael Cole was over the top with his gushing over her.

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

quote:
Originally posted by reckoning:
I agree that Catanzaro was terrible. I've never seen Ninja Warrior or whatever the show she was on is called. Is the show a big deal? Would WWE consider it a coup to have someone from the show on their main roster? Michael Cole was over the top with his gushing over her.

Not just the on-air gushing. She's received praise from Lance Storm and PC trainers for her athleticism. Problem with that is good athletes ain't always good rasslers. I guess she had some clips from the TV show go viral.

--------------------

FantasyWrestlerDrew
Member # 1551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FantasyWrestlerDrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HEN from MS:
quote:
Originally posted by reckoning:

Not just the on-air gushing. She's received praise from Lance Storm and PC trainers for her athleticism. Problem with that is good athletes ain't always good rasslers. I guess she had some clips from the TV show go viral.
Ninja Warrior like Strong Style was made in Japan but turned into a b*stard version in the USA. They kept the format basically the same but made it easier imo especially with people not finishing still able to move on to the next round.

Kacy not to take anything away from her got over because I believe she was the first female to complete the FIRST ROUND. It was impressive for sure but other women have come along and surpassed her and the women who competed in the Japanese version who made it further were far more impressive.

From Wikipedia:
- In 2014, Catanzaro became the first woman to complete the qualifying course of American Ninja Warrior (Season 6), making it up the warped wall on her second try at 5:26.18 at the Dallas qualifiers, ranking her 21 out of 30; this also makes her the first woman to make it up the warped wall in competition.

EDIT: Also here is the Wikipedia page for the original Japanese version - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasuke

Strangely enough it is listed as "sports entertainment" as the genre.

[ 10-11-2018, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: FantasyWrestlerDrew ]

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Good ep last night.

Surprisingly competitive match before Meiko finished Lacy, who looks to have a lot of upside.

Tegan legit f*cked up her OTHER knee on a tope on Rhea and the match had to be stopped with Rhea winning via UTC. I suspect she was not the intended winner.

Io defeated Deonna, and Toni defeated Mia, both good matches.

(Also REALLY good match between Bianca Belair and Nikki Cross on NXT. Bianca's athletic ability is off the chart.)

Looks like NXT's women's division is going to be strong for quite awhile. Course they'll all end up on the main card jobbing to cheerleaders eventually, but the meantime looks good.

[ 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Crimson Mask from FL ]

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

btw... if Rhea Ripley and Pete Dunne wore each other's gear, would anybody be able to tell?

--------------------

HEN from MS
Member # 3801

quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:
Rhea Ripley and Pete Dunne?

[Smile] Now I won't be able to not see that.

Meiko Satomura vs. Lacey Lane - Lane has a lot of upside. Focus needs to be on her as a rising star. All that praise they were heaping on Kacy was misdirected.

Io Shirai vs. Deonna Purrazzo - Really good match. Both of them are aces who can carry the division. Io obviously has a different level of star presence though.

Tegan Nox vs. Rhea Ripley - Yeah, what I always say about the match they put in this spot on the tournament shows... I think NXTUK is the limit for a healthy Nox. Credit for fighting through that. Kind of think they should have just gone to the finish after she got back in the ring. If they're going to do a women's tag division, Ripley and Reina Gonzalez would make a good Road Warriors style team.

Mia Yim vs. Toni Storm - Good match. Mia deserved this opportunity last year. I think she'll eventually make it to the main roster as she can be really entertaining beyond just the in ring.

--------------------

Mississippi fan
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mississippi fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mia Yim posted on Facebook she was offered an NXT contract.
Scot V from TX
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scot V from TX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lacey Lane is going to be a big star. I'm sure she will shine in NXT, main roster tends to diminish talent that doesn't fit into a prefab category. Especially women.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations