WrestlingClassics.com Message Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» WrestlingClassics.com Message Board » Professional Wrestling & General Discussion 2010 - Current » Best look but nothing else (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best look but nothing else
Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood Hoagie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would Sid be the best example of a wrestler who had the physical appearance but lacked the other attributes to be a major league player?

A guy like Kevin Nash might be given this distinction but he also had charisma and mic skills. I’m not sure if Sid had charisma, but he absolutely did not have promo skills.

I remember the Sid from WCW starting with the skyscrapers and later a horseman and I thought he was going to be a huge star. I think a lot was handed to him because of how he looked but he never had to learn how to work or talk.

IP: Logged
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sid was loaded with charisma.
Norrin Radd
Member # 78547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norrin Radd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chick Donovan had a million dollar body. Wasn't a bad wrestler. Personality? Not so much.

--------------------
"Equal rights for others does not mean less rights for you. It's not pie."

steuben
Member # 126350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steuben     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nightstalker.
djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn’t Sid a horseman before he became a Skyscraper?

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

Matt Farmer from WA
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Farmer from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djangoska:
Wasn’t Sid a horseman before he became a Skyscraper?

No Skyscraper 1st. He came into WCW as a Skyscraper.

Lot's of guys fit into the good looks but nothing else.

Brakkus
Kurrgan
Warlord

[ 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Matt Farmer from WA ]

Pbhero
Member # 81542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pbhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steuben:
The Nightstalker.

I guess it's a matter of taste.....but I thought his look was wack....every incarnation of that dude was played out and uncool. His manscaped look was akin to Fabio, rather than someone cool.
Frozen
Member # 10689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Mondo Kleen would make it big. When he came to the WWF as Damien Demento, I thought he was on his way.

--------------------
"I was the first wrestler to come to the ring with music."

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dude who just got beat up. Tom McGee---no, Magee.

--------------------
So long from the Sunshine State!

PVM
Member # 121669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PVM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahmed Johnson

--------------------
https://deadofnightusa.bandcamp.com/releases

https://www.reverbnation.com/misledmedia

http://redmenacerecords.storenvy.com/

the bear
Member # 1565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hoagie:
Would Sid be the best example of a wrestler who had the physical appearance but lacked the other attributes to be a major league player?

Former 2 time WWF and 2 time WCW World Champion Sid wasn't a major league player?

[ 07-11-2018, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: the bear ]

--------------------
Check out my Wrestling collection - Now over 14000 DVD's
http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee/

Stephen Gennarelli
Member # 21747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Gennarelli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'd say he was a major player ...wrestled Hogan at a Mania...Headlined the Alamo Dome against Shawn Michaels before a record setting gate ..to name just 2.
But I guess it just shows that to the folks who started this post that none of that resonated since no one remembers these matches or accomplishments.
I'd say he did improve by the late 90's as a performer (well..a little bit) but he didn't connect with the audience like most main eventers do in a career.

dthcm
Member # 56183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dthcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sable

--------------------
I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

Rod Trongard's Hair
Member # 26742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Trongard's Hair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon Heidenreich

--------------------
Don't Flip Your Wig

Curt Injurker
Member # 6203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Injurker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a Sid fan, but even I acknowledge the guy connected with the crowd.

The name that jumps out at me is Paul Roma - he had a million dollar look, was given multiple chances at high(ish) spots on the card, and was never even able to connect with people in a campy "Warlord-type" way.

gulascantfoolus
Member # 6964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gulascantfoolus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Van Hammer

--------------------
gulascantfoolus is the greatest
user name EVER regardless of any silly contest

REO Speeddealer
Member # 1534

Icon 1 posted      Profile for REO Speeddealer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curt Injurker:
I'm not a Sid fan, but even I acknowledge the guy connected with the crowd.

See the 1996 Survivor Series.
The Coach
Member # 6392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Coach     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:

Was my first thought too, CM.

--------------------
"I've been traveling throughout; exactly where, I don't know." - Ron Slinker

Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coach:
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Mask from FL:

Was my first thought too, CM.
Magee popped into my head as soon as I saw the thread title
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ponyplayer19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al Perez. He had a great look AND he could work. But, he was a charisma black hole for some reason.
Hollywood Hoagie
Member # 102500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollywood Hoagie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PVM:
Ahmed Johnson

I forget about him. Definitely.
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gov't Mule     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:
Al Perez. He had a great look AND he could work. But, he was a charisma black hole for some reason.

But doesn't his work cancel out the "nothing else" part of the equation?
Gov't Mule
Member # 2440

quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hoagie:
quote:
Originally posted by PVM:
Ahmed Johnson

I forget about him. Definitely.
He wasn't the most eloquent (to say the least), but I thought his promos had a certain intensity that was appealing.
ponyplayer19
Member # 8537

quote:
Originally posted by Gov't Mule:
quote:
Originally posted by ponyplayer19:

But doesn't his work cancel out the "nothing else" part of the equation?
Dunno. He definitely "lacked the other attributes to be a major league player."
Ravens Flock of Seagulls
Member # 128828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravens Flock of Seagulls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean O'Haire would be a good one. Sid had everything he needed except commitment to the sport. Despite all that look at what he accomplished. Had he put the effort into wrestling that he did into softball he would have been even bigger.
A Gene Wilder Somersault
Member # 128207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Gene Wilder Somersault     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Big Cass? Good look, terrible promo, terrible worker, terrible attitude reportedly.
Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny Kaos
Evan Karagias
Max Muscle
Chris Walker

Lucky Starr
Member # 1807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky Starr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Nathan Jones.
CT_Fan
Member # 129033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CT_Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the 1970s wrestler, Steve Strong.
djangoska
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djangoska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Gene Wilder Somersault:
What about Big Cass? Good look, terrible promo, terrible worker, terrible attitude reportedly.

And you can’t teach that!!

--------------------
Majority rule wont work in a mental institution.

Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust
Member # 76599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron "Zulu" Pope
King Francis
Member # 24068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Francis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Lock from Sydney, Aust:
Ron "Zulu" Pope

my #1...

--------------------
When I said that was the most ignorant thing I ever heard, I didn't realize you were still talking.

Jarvis88
Member # 124986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarvis88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big Dick Hertz

-

White Fang from WA
Member # 1458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Fang from WA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brakkus

--------------------
The reason raindances work is because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crimson Mask from FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King Francis:
quote:
Ron "Zulu" Pope

my #1...
Oh yeah. Forgot. Okay, yeah, the rest of the competition is for second.

--------------------

Crimson Mask from FL
Administrator
Member # 10449

Oh wait... maybe a tie. Jeff Gaylord.

--------------------

Tatsuya
Member # 80195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tatsuya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeep Swenson
The Fake J.D. McKay
Member # 24269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fake J.D. McKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ron "Zulu" Pope

Game, set, match.

The stiffest no-working crowbar knucklehead in this history of the biz. He was very friendly...sorta like a psychopath friendly...guy, but he was horrendous in the ring and couldn't talk to save his life.

Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brakkus has to be under consideration. The guy looked like a beast, but stunk up the joint in every other way.

EDIT: Someone beat me to the punch.

[ 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Cynthia Celeste Miller from KS ]

--------------------
Cynthia Celeste Miller
Spectrum Games

Check out my band, Eminent Remains, on Facebook.

MoneyDragon
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MoneyDragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lex lugar for me

--------------------
free

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WrestlingClassics.com Home Page

Click here to see the WCMB Rules and Regulations